JD

Default New WSM cooker

Just bought a WSM and a slab of Baby Back ribs. Have lurked here and other
places trying to find the best way to start. Any suggestions?

DArbabi

>Just bought a WSM and a slab of Baby Back ribs. Have lurked here and other
>places trying to find the best way to start. Any suggestions?

Sure. Visit www.virtualweberbullet.com for a _ton_ of ideas.

Darius
frohe

JD wrote:
> Just bought a WSM and a slab of Baby Back ribs. Have lurked here and
> other places trying to find the best way to start. Any suggestions?

1. Throw away the recipe book
2. Throw away that stupid cover
3. Start cookin
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Oncler

---Use lump charcoal....not briquettes

---Allow extra time the first few times--to get used to it

---The Virtual Bullet site is great---Try using sand in the water pan....I
also have a new WSM. The first few cooks I used water---last weekend I did
an 8 lb. Pork Butt, and didn't want to worry about the water pan, so I
filled it 2/3 with sand, foiled it and cooked it for 13 hours--no worries !!
The pan isn't hard to clean, but no cleaning is better.

As someone mentioned in a previous post...while you have the smoker
going--fill it up!!
If I'm doing ribs, I'll throw 1-2 chickens on the lower grill (to freeze for
burritos), or some Turkey drumsticks for lunches....no sense wasting good
grill space! Today I'm doing some ribs...I got some tomatoes and a pile of
poblano peppers....so I'm going to make some smokey salsa for weekend
consumption.

---the AFB FAQ is a great resource also.....have fun

F.G. Whitfurrows

"JD" > wrote in message
> Just bought a WSM and a slab of Baby Back ribs. Have lurked here and

other
> places trying to find the best way to start. Any suggestions?

Wait a minute? Is this THE JD, or is this some other JD with the same name?

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

JD

I guess it depends on your perspective, but if you know a JD then I would be
another one.

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message

> "JD" > wrote in message
> > Just bought a WSM and a slab of Baby Back ribs. Have lurked here and

> other
> > places trying to find the best way to start. Any suggestions?
> >

> Wait a minute? Is this THE JD, or is this some other JD with the same

name?

> --
> Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
> and his 6" boner

BOB

In ,
JD > typed:
> Just bought a WSM and a slab of Baby Back ribs. Have lurked here and other
> places trying to find the best way to start. Any suggestions?

Start he
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
then go he
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Oh, and unless you live in the Pacific Northwest, find another screen name.
That one is taken.

BOB

DesertDad

"Oncler" > wrote in message
> ---Use lump charcoal....not briquettes
>
> ---Allow extra time the first few times--to get used to it
>
> ---The Virtual Bullet site is great---Try using sand in the water pan....I
> also have a new WSM. The first few cooks I used water---last weekend I did
> an 8 lb. Pork Butt, and didn't want to worry about the water pan, so I
> filled it 2/3 with sand, foiled it and cooked it for 13 hours--no worries

!!
> The pan isn't hard to clean, but no cleaning is better.
>
> As someone mentioned in a previous post...while you have the smoker
> going--fill it up!!
> If I'm doing ribs, I'll throw 1-2 chickens on the lower grill (to freeze

for
> burritos), or some Turkey drumsticks for lunches....no sense wasting good
> grill space! Today I'm doing some ribs...I got some tomatoes and a pile of
> poblano peppers....so I'm going to make some smokey salsa for weekend
> consumption.
>
> ---the AFB FAQ is a great resource also.....have fun

I found some beer can chicken stands at wal-mart that are made of cheap
stainless steel. Instead of the beer I put a couple of scored lemons in each
beer can stand and I can put 3 chickens standing in the bottom and on the
top grill I put 6 racks of baby backs rolling them in a circle and secure
with a wooden skewer. I mop the ribs 10 minutes before taking them off with
a mixture of burbon and applejuice. Ribs are made with standard rubs and the
chicken is usually marinated.

Brad

JVD

Sorry, didn't know
" BOB" > wrote in message
> In ,
> JD > typed:
> > Just bought a WSM and a slab of Baby Back ribs. Have lurked here and

other
> > places trying to find the best way to start. Any suggestions?

> Start he
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
> then go he
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/
>
> Oh, and unless you live in the Pacific Northwest, find another screen

name.
> That one is taken.
>
> BOB

BOB

JVD typed:
> " BOB" wrote...
>> In ,
>> JD > typed:
>>> Just bought a WSM and a slab of Baby Back ribs. Have lurked here and

other
>>> places trying to find the best way to start. Any suggestions?

>> Start he
>> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>> then go he
>> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/
>>
>> Oh, and unless you live in the Pacific Northwest, find another screen

name.
>> That one is taken.
>>
>> BOB

> Sorry, didn't know

You'll be much happier that way. ;>)
How are those ribs doing?

BOB

JVD

Turned out OK, I think they could have been better. There is definately a
learning curve. Used lump for the first time, it's a little different to
handle than briquettes. The recipe I used called to keep the bottom vents
closed but the lump kept going out. Don't think I used enough to start.

" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .
> JVD typed:
> > " BOB" wrote...
> >> In ,
> >> JD > typed:

> other
> >>
> >> Start he
> >> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
> >> then go he
> >> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/
> >>
> >> Oh, and unless you live in the Pacific Northwest, find another screen

> name.
> >> That one is taken.
> >>
> >> BOB

> > Sorry, didn't know

> You'll be much happier that way. ;>)
> How are those ribs doing?
>
> BOB

Matthew L. Martin

JVD wrote:

> Turned out OK, I think they could have been better. There is definately a
> learning curve. Used lump for the first time, it's a little different to
> handle than briquettes. The recipe I used called to keep the bottom vents
> closed but the lump kept going out. Don't think I used enough to start.

Unless you used very little lump, having the fuel go out is due to lack
of oxygen. Open the top vent wide and use the bottom vent to control the
temperature.

Matthew

--
<http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
You can't break even.
You can't get out of the game.

bbq

JVD wrote:
> Turned out OK, I think they could have been better. There is definately a
> learning curve. Used lump for the first time, it's a little different to
> handle than briquettes. The recipe I used called to keep the bottom vents
> closed but the lump kept going out. Don't think I used enough to start.

Must have been driving you nuts having to continue getting the lump lit.
That is NOT supposed to happen with a WSM. Fire it up, add meat and go
about your business, checking once in a while and MAYBE make an adjustment.

My guess is because you had the bottom vents closed. They can be
partially closed, but not completely closed. And always have the top
vent completely open.

Happy Q'en

BBQ

Oncler

> JVD wrote:
>> Turned out OK, I think they could have been better. There is
>> definately a learning curve. Used lump for the first time, it's a
>> little different to handle than briquettes. The recipe I used
>> called to keep the bottom vents closed but the lump kept going out.
>> Don't think I used enough to start.

You need some air coming in from the bottom. I run mine with the top vent
open all the time. I have my base set so one vent is in the back (always
closed), and the other two are on the sides towards the front (sorta). I
find that keeping the two front vents open 1/4 - 1/3 of the way will keep
the lump cooking at 220-250 depending on conditions. I make sure the fire
ring is about 1/2 - 3/4 full of lump (mostly left from the last cook) , and
add a chimney full of lit lump on top........just shake the ash off the used
lump and dump on the lit stuff.

JVD

I think that's where I made my mistake, one I open up the vents the temp
stayed pegged at 250.

"bbq" > wrote in message
. net...

> JVD wrote:
> > Turned out OK, I think they could have been better. There is definately

> > learning curve. Used lump for the first time, it's a little different

> > handle than briquettes. The recipe I used called to keep the bottom

vents
> > closed but the lump kept going out. Don't think I used enough to start.
> >

> Must have been driving you nuts having to continue getting the lump lit.
> That is NOT supposed to happen with a WSM. Fire it up, add meat and go
> about your business, checking once in a while and MAYBE make an

adjustment.

> My guess is because you had the bottom vents closed. They can be
> partially closed, but not completely closed. And always have the top
> vent completely open.
>
> Happy Q'en
>
> BBQ

JVD

Thanks for the tip.
"Oncler" > wrote in message
> > JVD wrote:
> >> Turned out OK, I think they could have been better. There is
> >> definately a learning curve. Used lump for the first time, it's a
> >> little different to handle than briquettes. The recipe I used
> >> called to keep the bottom vents closed but the lump kept going out.
> >> Don't think I used enough to start.

> You need some air coming in from the bottom. I run mine with the top vent
> open all the time. I have my base set so one vent is in the back (always
> closed), and the other two are on the sides towards the front (sorta). I
> find that keeping the two front vents open 1/4 - 1/3 of the way will keep
> the lump cooking at 220-250 depending on conditions. I make sure the fire
> ring is about 1/2 - 3/4 full of lump (mostly left from the last cook) ,

and
> add a chimney full of lit lump on top........just shake the ash off the

used
> lump and dump on the lit stuff.

Jack Schidt®

"JVD" > wrote in message
> I think that's where I made my mistake, one I open up the vents the temp
> stayed pegged at 250.

Well, you still have time to get some more ribs and go for the 'grudge
match' this weekend. Good luck and enjoy your new rig. I hope you've
christened it with a frosty lager as well.

Jack

Oncler

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "JVD" > wrote in message
>> I think that's where I made my mistake, one I open up the vents the
>> temp stayed pegged at 250.
>>

> Well, you still have time to get some more ribs and go for the 'grudge
> match' this weekend. Good luck and enjoy your new rig. I hope you've
> christened it with a frosty lager as well.
>
> Jack

I christened mine with Bourbon :-)

bbq

JVD wrote:
> I think that's where I made my mistake, one I open up the vents the temp
> stayed pegged at 250.

I think you will find 250° an ideal smoking temperature. Low enough to
cook low and slow, yet high enough to cook stuff like ribs in 4-6 hours.
Though if you get into cooking briskets and shoulders, these take
considerably longer. It is not uncommon for folks to start these late at
night to be ready the next afternoon sometime.

The WSM is just the right ticket for these long cooks. Keep the vents
open and you will not have to get up every few hours to light lump :-)

Happy Q'en

BBQ

adm

"DArbabi" > wrote in message

> >Just bought a WSM and a slab of Baby Back ribs. Have lurked here and

other
> >places trying to find the best way to start. Any suggestions?

> Sure. Visit www.virtualweberbullet.com for a _ton_ of ideas.

But use lump charcoal instead of briquettes.

frohe

JVD wrote:
> Turned out OK, I think they could have been better. There is
> definately a learning curve. Used lump for the first time, it's a
> little different to handle than briquettes. The recipe I used called
> to keep the bottom vents closed but the lump kept going out. Don't
> think I used enough to start.

Throw that recipe away then. Closing the bottom vents will snuff your fire
out.

Controlling the temp in your WSM is a function of the bottom and top vents -
bottom to let air in for the coals; the top one controlling the amount of
air pull (venting) through the cooker. Someday you'll have a really hot
fire and almost closing down all vents will be the cure to getting the temp
down to cookin range.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

JVD

Too all who have responded, thanks all the good info. I appreciate it.
Jack