tgodiver

Default propane vs coal grill question

I got a propane grill and it is not giving me the same flavor as a charcoal
grill. Is there a way I can get that charcoal smoke flavor with a propane
grill?

jdoe

Use some wood chips wrapped in foil and poke a couple small holes in it. Put
them on the heat substance i.e. flavorizer bars, ceramics etc. Have fun. BTW
when I blind taste test foods like steak, burgers, chicken (basically
anyhting cooked at high or not slow cooked most cannot tell the difference
between either my big MM grill or my genesis or charcoal (yes lump). Now if
I use standard briquettes anyone can tell as they leave a petroleum taste in
the food.
Larry
"tgodiver" > wrote in message
> I got a propane grill and it is not giving me the same flavor as a

charcoal
> grill. Is there a way I can get that charcoal smoke flavor with a propane
> grill?

tgodiver

can I just put the wood chip on top of the lava rocks without wrapping them
in foil. does that damage the grill?

thanks.
jdoe > wrote in message news:x60fb.22387$%h1.11674@sccrnsc02...
> Use some wood chips wrapped in foil and poke a couple small holes in it.

Put
> them on the heat substance i.e. flavorizer bars, ceramics etc. Have fun.

BTW
> when I blind taste test foods like steak, burgers, chicken (basically
> anyhting cooked at high or not slow cooked most cannot tell the difference
> between either my big MM grill or my genesis or charcoal (yes lump). Now

if
> I use standard briquettes anyone can tell as they leave a petroleum taste

in
> the food.
> Larry
> "tgodiver" > wrote in message
> > I got a propane grill and it is not giving me the same flavor as a

> charcoal
> > grill. Is there a way I can get that charcoal smoke flavor with a

propane
> > grill?

Edwin Pawlowski

"tgodiver" > wrote in message
> can I just put the wood chip on top of the lava rocks without wrapping

them
> in foil. does that damage the grill?

It will just burn up faster that way. A foil pouch or a tuna fish can with
a foil cover works good. Just poke a hole or two in the foil as you do want
some oxygen getting to the wood.
Ed

Charles Demas

In article > ,
Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

>"tgodiver" > wrote in message
>> can I just put the wood chip on top of the lava rocks without wrapping

>them
>> in foil. does that damage the grill?

>It will just burn up faster that way. A foil pouch or a tuna fish can with
>a foil cover works good. Just poke a hole or two in the foil as you do want
>some oxygen getting to the wood.

And using the can or pouch makes it easier to remove the ashes. :-)

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd

Kent H.

NO!!!