FoodBanter.com

-   -   Smoking Venison (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/18989-smoking-venison.html)

Matt & Terri 02-10-2003 03:37 AM

Smoking Venison

Greetings all.

Now that the "Redneck Ramadan" has started (deer season), I have several
guys at the fire station asking me to smoke deer hams for them. Since I've
never smoked venison before, I thought I'd ask the experts for advice.

I am planning to smoke this on my brand new WSM! It was my present for
letting my Bride of 14 years buy a new house. I know it seems a bit uneven,
but what the heck. I get to live there also.

Anyway, I have checked the FAQ's and found that it did not get a good
review. I have a couple of good rubs in mind. One question I do have is
should I brine the meat beforehand?

One of the guys at another station used to lay strips of bacon on his deer
hams before smoking. I seemed to keep the meat moist. Since he retired, I no
longer have access to his method.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Reg 02-10-2003 03:46 AM

Smoking Venison

Matt & Terri wrote:

Greetings all.

Now that the "Redneck Ramadan" has started (deer season), I have several
guys at the fire station asking me to smoke deer hams for them. Since I've
never smoked venison before, I thought I'd ask the experts for advice.

I am planning to smoke this on my brand new WSM! It was my present for
letting my Bride of 14 years buy a new house. I know it seems a bit uneven,
but what the heck. I get to live there also.

Anyway, I have checked the FAQ's and found that it did not get a good
review. I have a couple of good rubs in mind. One question I do have is
should I brine the meat beforehand?

One of the guys at another station used to lay strips of bacon on his deer
hams before smoking. I seemed to keep the meat moist. Since he retired, I no
longer have access to his method.

Have you considered making sausage? That's my preferred method for
venison. It smokes up really well too.

Monroe, of course... 02-10-2003 04:20 AM

Smoking Venison

In article [email protected], "Matt & Terri"
wrote:

Greetings all.

Now that the "Redneck Ramadan" has started (deer season), I have several
guys at the fire station asking me to smoke deer hams for them. Since I've
never smoked venison before, I thought I'd ask the experts for advice.

I am planning to smoke this on my brand new WSM! It was my present for
letting my Bride of 14 years buy a new house. I know it seems a bit uneven,
but what the heck. I get to live there also.

Anyway, I have checked the FAQ's and found that it did not get a good
review. I have a couple of good rubs in mind. One question I do have is
should I brine the meat beforehand?

One of the guys at another station used to lay strips of bacon on his deer
hams before smoking. I seemed to keep the meat moist. Since he retired, I no
longer have access to his method.

Thanks in advance

Ham is for sausage. You can smoke it after you stuff it and that's the
best way.
I tried a bambi ham cooked like a pork butt (mojo criollo marinade and
injections) Twas good but a tad dry.
You'll have better luck roasting at a high temp for a short time. Try
about 350-400F. Go ahead and use some hickory for smoke but don't go
lo-n-slo.
Venison needs pork fat and there is no better way to accomplish that
than to grindgrindgrind.
Or there's always jerky.....

monroe(redneck ramadan LOL)