jdoe

Default Gas Grill Char-Broil Model 2215 at Lowes? Is it good?

Do yourself a favor and get a weber silver b or c. You'll be much happier in
the long run with it.
Larry
"Kostia" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anybody know anything or has this grill and can recommend it?
> The price is good, and I was almost certain I am going to buy it.
> However when I took a look at it at Lowes I found that the lid is not
> that heavy i.e. the sheet of metal is not that thick and definetely is
> not doubled as some others there. I was thinking that a heavier lid
> would keep the temperature better? Any comments? Is this a good grill?
> http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...84873-451-2215

Kent H.

I have a Silver Genesis B, and wish I had a stainless steel higher BTU
grill. The poorly made Weber isn't hot enough to sear a steak with the
lid up. With the lid down the interior of the steak gets overcooked. It
is, however, well thought out for what it does, though cheaply made. I
would guess the Char Broil is made in China by Virco, along with the
Kirkland and several other popular brand gas grills sold in this
country. Char Broil is a pretty good designer of grills; I would
probably go with it if that's your price limit. If I were to start out
buying again, I would probably look strongly at the Kirkland at Costco,
though I haven't found a good road test, either here or in other NGs.
Good Luck
Kent

Kostia wrote:

> Does anybody know anything or has this grill and can recommend it?
> The price is good, and I was almost certain I am going to buy it.
> However when I took a look at it at Lowes I found that the lid is not
> that heavy i.e. the sheet of metal is not that thick and definetely is
> not doubled as some others there. I was thinking that a heavier lid
> would keep the temperature better? Any comments? Is this a good grill?
> http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...84873-451-2215

Kent H.

This is the grill I was referring to:
http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?t...6&log=&NavTop=
Kent

"Kent H." wrote:

> I have a Silver Genesis B, and wish I had a stainless steel higher BTU
> grill. The poorly made Weber isn't hot enough to sear a steak with the
> lid up. With the lid down the interior of the steak gets overcooked. It
> is, however, well thought out for what it does, though cheaply made. I
> would guess the Char Broil is made in China by Virco, along with the
> Kirkland and several other popular brand gas grills sold in this
> country. Char Broil is a pretty good designer of grills; I would
> probably go with it if that's your price limit. If I were to start out
> buying again, I would probably look strongly at the Kirkland at Costco,
> though I haven't found a good road test, either here or in other NGs.
> Good Luck
> Kent
>
> Kostia wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody know anything or has this grill and can recommend it?
> > The price is good, and I was almost certain I am going to buy it.
> > However when I took a look at it at Lowes I found that the lid is not
> > that heavy i.e. the sheet of metal is not that thick and definetely is
> > not doubled as some others there. I was thinking that a heavier lid
> > would keep the temperature better? Any comments? Is this a good grill?
> > http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...84873-451-2215

Michael

"Kent H." > wrote in message
> I have a Silver Genesis B, and wish I had a stainless steel higher BTU
> grill.

Ever consider a charcoal grill? Put some good ole lump in that baby and
searing steaks will be easy.

Yip Yap

"Kent H." > wrote in message >...
> I have a Silver Genesis B, and wish I had a stainless steel higher BTU
> grill. The poorly made Weber isn't hot enough to sear a steak with the
> lid up. With the lid down the interior of the steak gets overcooked. It
> is, however, well thought out for what it does, though cheaply made. I
> would guess the Char Broil is made in China by Virco, along with the
> Kirkland and several other popular brand gas grills sold in this
> country. Char Broil is a pretty good designer of grills; I would
> probably go with it if that's your price limit. If I were to start out
> buying again, I would probably look strongly at the Kirkland at Costco,
> though I haven't found a good road test, either here or in other NGs.

It's Kent again giving bad advice. According to Kent Weber
is no good but Char-broil is a quality brand. Do
not listen to this moronski. Weber is the best value in a
gas grill out there. I would start with a Weber if you can
afford the basic model.

Kent is drooling all over the Kirkland Signature grill.
Hey Kent, you twit, have you dusted off the checkbook and
purchased one yet?

-- Yip

Kent H.

You have just heard a troll defined. I was trying to respond to a
sincere question. I responded with what I know. You jumped into the
query with a dagger. You sound like an unnsuccessful pre-law student.
You are a loser. You will never be happy in life.

Yip Yap wrote:

> "Kent H." > wrote in message >...
> > I have a Silver Genesis B, and wish I had a stainless steel higher BTU
> > grill. The poorly made Weber isn't hot enough to sear a steak with the
> > lid up. With the lid down the interior of the steak gets overcooked. It
> > is, however, well thought out for what it does, though cheaply made. I
> > would guess the Char Broil is made in China by Virco, along with the
> > Kirkland and several other popular brand gas grills sold in this
> > country. Char Broil is a pretty good designer of grills; I would
> > probably go with it if that's your price limit. If I were to start out
> > buying again, I would probably look strongly at the Kirkland at Costco,
> > though I haven't found a good road test, either here or in other NGs.

> It's Kent again giving bad advice. According to Kent Weber
> is no good but Char-broil is a quality brand. Do
> not listen to this moronski. Weber is the best value in a
> gas grill out there. I would start with a Weber if you can
> afford the basic model.
>
> Kent is drooling all over the Kirkland Signature grill.
> Hey Kent, you twit, have you dusted off the checkbook and
> purchased one yet?
>
> -- Yip

Kent H.

I totally agree with you.
I have my Genesis Silver B, and my Weber Performer side by side on the
patio and I use the Performer 85% of the time. I really wonder if there
is a decent gas grill that can do Char-Rare Tuna or Char-Rare filet and
I really would like to know.
Happy grilling
Kent

Michael wrote:

> "Kent H." > wrote in message
> > I have a Silver Genesis B, and wish I had a stainless steel higher BTU
> > grill.

> Ever consider a charcoal grill? Put some good ole lump in that baby and
> searing steaks will be easy.

Miles

Kent H. wrote:

> I totally agree with you.
> I have my Genesis Silver B, and my Weber Performer side by side on the
> patio and I use the Performer 85% of the time. I really wonder if there
> is a decent gas grill that can do Char-Rare Tuna or Char-Rare filet and
> I really would like to know.

There are many but most don't wish to pay for it when a charcoal grill
can do it for less. Look at TEC, Fire Magic or DCS.

Kent H.

I would really like to hear a statement from one who has used the TEC,
Fire Magic or DCS, or any others that could corroborate what you are
suggesting. There have been a lot of peripheral opinions from posters on
this NG; there have been very few users of the "upscale gas grills"
expressing an answer to this question. For me it's not the money.

Miles wrote:

> Kent H. wrote:
>
> > I totally agree with you.
> > I have my Genesis Silver B, and my Weber Performer side by side on the
> > patio and I use the Performer 85% of the time. I really wonder if there
> > is a decent gas grill that can do Char-Rare Tuna or Char-Rare filet and
> > I really would like to know.

> There are many but most don't wish to pay for it when a charcoal grill
> can do it for less. Look at TEC, Fire Magic or DCS.

Miles

Kent H. wrote:
> I would really like to hear a statement from one who has used the TEC,
> Fire Magic or DCS, or any others that could corroborate what you are
> suggesting. There have been a lot of peripheral opinions from posters on
> this NG; there have been very few users of the "upscale gas grills"
> expressing an answer to this question. For me it's not the money.

Well, I have a Fire Magic Custom I grill and love it. But this is
probably the wrong NG to find much info on such grills. This NG mostly
discusses slow cooking over wood. Thats why you're not gonna see much
info regarding high temp grills. I have two grills, the Fire Magic and
a much lower temp grill made by Holland Grills. I also have a custom
built brick firepit for smoking. I use them all depending on what I'm
cooking.

The FireMagic gets far hotter than any other grill I have used and is
very well built. Great for cooking steaks, seafood etc. I have not
gotten the hang of cooking chicken on it yet because of flare-ups
although its much less of a problem than other grills I've owned. Thats
just probably a learning curve with a new grill (I've only had it a few
months). If I have time I smoke the chicken or use my Holland grill
which by design can't flare up ever.

Oscar

"Miles" > wrote in message

> Kent H. wrote:
> > I would really like to hear a statement from one who has used the TEC,
> > Fire Magic or DCS, or any others that could corroborate what you are
> > suggesting. There have been a lot of peripheral opinions from posters on
> > this NG; there have been very few users of the "upscale gas grills"
> > expressing an answer to this question. For me it's not the money.

> Well, I have a Fire Magic Custom I grill and love it. But this is
> probably the wrong NG to find much info on such grills. This NG mostly
> discusses slow cooking over wood. Thats why you're not gonna see much
> info regarding high temp grills. I have two grills, the Fire Magic and
> a much lower temp grill made by Holland Grills. I also have a custom
> built brick firepit for smoking. I use them all depending on what I'm
> cooking.

How high can you get that Fire magic to go?

> The FireMagic gets far hotter than any other grill I have used and is
> very well built. Great for cooking steaks, seafood etc. I have not
> gotten the hang of cooking chicken on it yet because of flare-ups
> although its much less of a problem than other grills I've owned. Thats
> just probably a learning curve with a new grill (I've only had it a few
> months). If I have time I smoke the chicken or use my Holland grill
> which by design can't flare up ever.

I'm looking for a high temperature grill. I like to cook my pizzas at really
high temperatures.

Oscar

jdoe

Does your genesis have 1 set or 2 sets of flavorizers. If it's only 1 that
could explain your "opinion". My old genesis 2 was somewhat the same and
recently had gotten quite uneven and so on. I found some things on this 10
yo unit I hadn't thought og though. 1. I took the valves apart and found
enough corrosion in the orifices and old grease bloking the metering units
to restrict flow. While I was in that far I took the burners out and flushed
them with water and min spirits and blew them out with comp. air. Quite a
bit of crap in them. I than looked at the new style bars and noticed they
were only a single set. My dad had a custom set made for me out of heavy
stainless to the new style (buying the new ones didn't work as they are too
short). Bottom line here is the grill gets as hot as I"ve ever seen. It very
quickly will peg it's thermometer yet it's VERY even and VERY controllable
with no uncontrolled flare ups. Yet it still excels at low temp cooking too.
I do have one of those stainless monsters too but it's got nothing over the
weber except a side burner, size and wow factor. BTW the weber sat outside
uncovered in harsh weather for 10 years and the only "issue" it showed from
that abuse was the wood slats rotted out. I don't call that cheaply made. It
also was used hard at least 4 times a week winter and summer on avg. Minimal
maint. needed too. Again I don't call that cheaply made. As for searing it
will make foods that look like a picture out of cooks illustrated lid up or
down and with perfect texture and taste.
Bottom line it has more to do with the cook and at least SOME maintenance.
Larry
"Kent H." > wrote in message
> I have a Silver Genesis B, and wish I had a stainless steel higher BTU
> grill. The poorly made Weber isn't hot enough to sear a steak with the
> lid up. With the lid down the interior of the steak gets overcooked. It
> is, however, well thought out for what it does, though cheaply made. I
> would guess the Char Broil is made in China by Virco, along with the
> Kirkland and several other popular brand gas grills sold in this
> country. Char Broil is a pretty good designer of grills; I would
> probably go with it if that's your price limit. If I were to start out
> buying again, I would probably look strongly at the Kirkland at Costco,
> though I haven't found a good road test, either here or in other NGs.
> Good Luck
> Kent
>
> Kostia wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody know anything or has this grill and can recommend it?
> > The price is good, and I was almost certain I am going to buy it.
> > However when I took a look at it at Lowes I found that the lid is not
> > that heavy i.e. the sheet of metal is not that thick and definetely is
> > not doubled as some others there. I was thinking that a heavier lid
> > would keep the temperature better? Any comments? Is this a good grill?
> > http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...84873-451-2215

Miles

Oscar wrote:
> How high can you get that Fire magic to go?

I'll have to measure the temp next time I use it. For comparison the
Fire Magics all have about 121 btu's per sq. inch. On high heat the
stainless grids that are between the burner and the grills glow red hot.
I believe the hottest gas grills out are probably the TEC infra-red
grills.

Oscar

"Miles" > wrote in message

> Oscar wrote:
> > How high can you get that Fire magic to go?

> I'll have to measure the temp next time I use it. For comparison the
> Fire Magics all have about 121 btu's per sq. inch. On high heat the
> stainless grids that are between the burner and the grills glow red hot.
> I believe the hottest gas grills out are probably the TEC infra-red
> grills.

See? That's the thing. Nobody with a gas grill has ever measured the
temperature. They ALL just quote how many BTU's that they have. You really
trust the manufacturer, or do you have a way to measure the BTU's?

Before I plunk down my money, I want FACTS not speculations. How hot does
the TEC infra red get? I bet nobody knows.

Oscar

butch burton

"> I'm looking for a high temperature grill. I like to cook my pizzas
at really
> high temperatures.
>
> Oscar

Oscar-what temp are you looking for-500/600 - also what do you put
the pizza on-think stones might break-how about a heavy sheet of
steel.

Thinking about cooking pizza in my gas grill which hits 600F easy.

Miles

Oscar wrote:
> See? That's the thing. Nobody with a gas grill has ever measured the
> temperature. They ALL just quote how many BTU's that they have. You really
> trust the manufacturer, or do you have a way to measure the BTU's?
>
> Before I plunk down my money, I want FACTS not speculations. How hot does
> the TEC infra red get? I bet nobody knows.

Nothing wrong with checking things out 1st. Until I measure the temp
all I can say is it is MUCH hotter than any other grill I've owned such
as char-broil or weber. I had to buy rather long tongs as I can't hold
my old short tongs over the grill while flipping meat for more than a
couple seconds.

Kent H.

Thanks very much for your post. I have asked the question that generated
your answer three times indirectly and you're the first to respond with
a cogent hands on response. I have wondered a lot about the wow factor,
which I don't need. I don't have any doubt about the thought that went
into the Weber. In fact all of their products are very well thought out.
It would be very hard to find a charcoal grill that will sear a steak as
easily as the 22" Weber kettle. The gas lighter makes it as easy to use
as a gas grill, and for day to day cooking it gets used more than half
of the time. The Genesis does everything well, particularly managing the
drips, as you say. It just doesn't get hot enough with the lid open.
Mine heats up to 550F very quickly as well.
Jdoe, thanks again.
Kent

That's a great moniker.

jdoe wrote:

> [...]
> > Kirkland and several other popular brand gas grills sold in this
> > country. Char Broil is a pretty good designer of grills; I would
> > probably go with it if that's your price limit. If I were to start out
> > buying again, I would probably look strongly at the Kirkland at Costco,
> > though I haven't found a good road test, either here or in other NGs.
> > Good Luck
> > Kent
> >
> > Kostia wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anybody know anything or has this grill and can recommend it?
> > > The price is good, and I was almost certain I am going to buy it.
> > > However when I took a look at it at Lowes I found that the lid is not
> > > that heavy i.e. the sheet of metal is not that thick and definetely is
> > > not doubled as some others there. I was thinking that a heavier lid
> > > would keep the temperature better? Any comments? Is this a good grill?

gwillkens

Our local Lowes carries a fairly complete line of replacement parts
for Char-Broil grills. There is a reason. Over 2 years use I have
had to replace the grid, burner unit, baffle, & igniter.
Conversations with others purchasing parts reflects pretty much the
same experience.

JBSummer

I may be the exception to the rule but I have had a Char-Broil for ten years
now and it has been the best gas grill I have owned. It is stored outside,
looks like crap, but still cooks as well as the day I got it. I have had to
replace the drip plate about every two years but it still has the original
burner. I have a Kamado #7 on the way but I will still keep this old Char
Broil awhile longer I guess.

Jim
Gar

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 15:54:18 GMT, "Kent H." >
wrote:

>If I were to start out
>buying again, I would probably look strongly at the Kirkland at Costco,
>though I haven't found a good road test, either here or in other NGs.
>Good Luck
>Kent

I've given you links to web discussions and offered you my personal
expierience of the Costco grill. Don't you read responses? Maybe
you're just a dumb troll.

Gar

JBSummer

>> My prediction? The Char Broil will be gone inside of six months.

I'm inclined to agree.
Kent H.

Until jdoe wrote the above I hadn't seen an intelligent answer to my
question[s]. Whatever people have written about the Kirkland hasn't been
insightful, helpful, or informed. Very few have written with hands on
personal experience with that grill. Similarly with the Char-Broil 2212
above. Lots of uninformed mouths shooting off.