Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Potato Rolls

This was one of my favorite things for Thanksgiving and Christmas
dinners. The bride's mother was an excellent cook, and took a lot
of pride in her potato rolls. I had to dig the recipe out for a
friend, and thought I'd go ahead and post it here as well.

1 cake yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
6-8 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup mashed potatoes
1 cup scalded milk
2 eggs

Mash potatoes, add shortening, sugar, salt & eggs. Dissolve yeast
in lukewarm water and add to lukewarm milk, then add to potato
mixture.
Add sifted flour to make stiff dough. Toss on floured board and
knead well. Put into a large bowl and let rise until double in
bulk. Knead lightly
and rub over top with melted butter. Place in refrigerator until
ready to bake. About 1.5 hours before baking time, pinch off
dough, shape into rolls as desired. Cover and let rise until
light.

Bake 400 degrees (it doesn't say for how long)

--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs
out of both sides of a drunken
Congressman's mouth?

The floor is level.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

From Google search:
Substitutions: 1 (1/4 oz) package dry active yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons = 1
(.06 oz) cake compressed fresh yeast

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> what is a cake of yeast? Lee

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks, when i read cake i thought of how my grandmother got it and it was a
huge cake of the stuff a bit larger than a bar of soap, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

.. .