FoodBanter.com

-   -   did I buy too early? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/179133-did-i-buy-too.html)

Eddie 21-11-2009 08:08 AM

did I buy too early?

I bought a Honeysuckle brand 13 pounder today. Fresh, not frozen.
Paid a buck per lb.
But now I'm thinking, did I buy too early? Is it ok to leave it in
the refrigerator for 6 days? Usually I buy frozen, leave in the
refrig freezer and change to the refrig for three days, or less if
it's a smaller one.
So, six days ok? Or should I put in freezer for three days and then
to refrig for 3 more?
Going to smoke in K7 using cherry wood only.
Eddie

Pierre[_1_] 21-11-2009 10:23 AM

did I buy too early?

On Nov 21, 2:08*am, Eddie wrote:
I bought a Honeysuckle brand 13 pounder today. *Fresh, not frozen.
Paid a buck per lb.
But now I'm thinking, did I buy too early? *Is it ok to leave it in
the refrigerator for 6 days? *Usually I buy frozen, leave in the
refrig freezer and change to the refrig for three days, or less if
it's a smaller one.
So, six days ok? *Or should I put in freezer for three days and then
to refrig for 3 more?
Going to smoke in K7 using cherry wood only.
Eddie

Use the date on the burd's packaging as a guideline. If it looks good,
keep it sealed and store it properly.
If it's close to its 'best by' date, give it the freeze ho, then thaw
as recommended.
Pierre

RegForte 21-11-2009 04:16 PM

did I buy too early?

Eddie wrote:

I bought a Honeysuckle brand 13 pounder today. Fresh, not frozen.
Paid a buck per lb.
But now I'm thinking, did I buy too early? Is it ok to leave it in
the refrigerator for 6 days? Usually I buy frozen, leave in the
refrig freezer and change to the refrig for three days, or less if
it's a smaller one.
So, six days ok? Or should I put in freezer for three days and then
to refrig for 3 more?
Going to smoke in K7 using cherry wood only.
Eddie

The dates on the packaging are important. Is there a use-by
or sell-by date? Is it vac-packed?

The conventional advise for poultry holding times is 1-2 days
refridgerated. This is *extremely* conservative though, and it
really refers to the maximum holding time beyond the sell-by
date.

http://origin-www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Turkey_from_Farm_to_Table/index.asp

--
Reg

Eddie 21-11-2009 10:07 PM

did I buy too early?

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 08:16:44 -0800, RegForte wrote:

Eddie wrote:

[...]

Reg, great link, a keeper. Thanks!
Eddie