FoodBanter.com

-   -   Bought a boston butt - don't think it was done. (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/179129-bought-boston-butt-dont.html)

B-Worthey[_2_] 21-11-2009 01:29 AM

Bought a boston butt - don't think it was done.

I bought a boston butt from a local school as a fund raiser - outside
looked good and all. I started slicing it and all (wasn't tender
enough to pull). I cut down into it and there was this jelly like
substance in the middle of it - could it be coagulated blood? I'm
just not sure that it was completely done. I've smoked butts before
and I know what mine look like when they are done, but this one didn't
look like what I"m used to. The meat still had a bit of a pink tint
too it as well, not all of it, but most. What do you guys think?
It's already been in my fridge as I had to just drop it off and go, so
I can't pop it in the oven to finish it. Should I just throw it out?

Thanks,

B-Worthey

Olde Hippee 21-11-2009 06:08 PM

On Nov 20, 7:29*pm, B-Worthey > wrote:
> I bought a boston butt from a local school as a fund raiser - outside
> looked good and all. *I started slicing it and all (wasn't tender
> enough to pull). *I cut down into it and there was this jelly like
> substance in the middle of it - could it be coagulated blood? *I'm
> just not sure that it was completely done. *I've smoked butts before
> and I know what mine look like when they are done, but this one didn't
> look like what I"m used to. *The meat still had a bit of a pink tint
> too it as well, not all of it, but most. *What do you guys think?
> It's already been in my fridge as I had to just drop it off and go, so
> I can't pop it in the oven to finish it. *Should I just throw it out?
>
> Thanks,
>
> B-Worthey

Before I'd throw it away I'd cut it in half and heat it on a grill, or
a griddle with the middle closest to the heat source.
How were you going to reheat it? Many times now pork is done while
still pink inside., and the gelatinous matter may be fat from the
roast. Let us know what you decide. I've been married & cooking for
44 years and haven't poisoned us yet.
Nan

B-Worthey[_2_] 21-11-2009 09:05 PM

On Nov 21, 11:08*am, Olde Hippee > wrote:
> On Nov 20, 7:29*pm, B-Worthey > wrote:
>
> > I bought a boston butt from a local school as a fund raiser - outside
> > looked good and all. *I started slicing it and all (wasn't tender
> > enough to pull). *I cut down into it and there was this jelly like
> > substance in the middle of it - could it be coagulated blood? *I'm
> > just not sure that it was completely done. *I've smoked butts before
> > and I know what mine look like when they are done, but this one didn't
> > look like what I"m used to. *The meat still had a bit of a pink tint
> > too it as well, not all of it, but most. *What do you guys think?
> > It's already been in my fridge as I had to just drop it off and go, so
> > I can't pop it in the oven to finish it. *Should I just throw it out?

> > Thanks,

> > B-Worthey

> Before I'd throw it away I'd cut it in half and heat it on a grill, or
> a griddle with the middle closest to the heat source.
> How were you going to reheat it? *Many times now pork is done while
> still pink inside., and the gelatinous matter may be *fat from the
> roast. *Let us know what you decide. *I've been married & cooking for
> 44 years and haven't poisoned us yet.
> Nan

Well, I hadn't really thought about how I was going to reheat
it...usually I just microwave it....I know, I know, that isn't always
the best way. The thing that concerned me was that when I'm cooked
them, and cooked them to a temp of about 185*, there isn't any pink
like that except for the smoke ring. Would the gelationous matter, if
it was fat, be red? I think I left that detail out before. I'm just
not sure, and I'm probably overly cautious. And please don't think
that is anything against your cooking and expertise! Ha! So far I
haven't poisoned anyone yet either! Ha!

B-Worthey

Dave Bugg 21-11-2009 10:14 PM

B-Worthey wrote:
> On Nov 21, 11:08 am, Olde Hippee > wrote:
>> On Nov 20, 7:29 pm, B-Worthey > wrote:
>>
>>> I bought a boston butt from a local school as a fund raiser -
>>> outside looked good and all. I started slicing it and all (wasn't
>>> tender enough to pull). I cut down into it and there was this jelly
>>> like substance in the middle of it - could it be coagulated blood?
>>> I'm just not sure that it was completely done. I've smoked butts
>>> before and I know what mine look like when they are done, but this
>>> one didn't look like what I"m used to. The meat still had a bit of
>>> a pink tint too it as well, not all of it, but most. What do you
>>> guys think?
>>> It's already been in my fridge as I had to just drop it off and go,
>>> so I can't pop it in the oven to finish it. Should I just throw it
>>> out?

>>> Thanks,

>>> B-Worthey

>> Before I'd throw it away I'd cut it in half and heat it on a grill,
>> or a griddle with the middle closest to the heat source.
>> How were you going to reheat it? Many times now pork is done while
>> still pink inside., and the gelatinous matter may be fat from the
>> roast. Let us know what you decide. I've been married & cooking for
>> 44 years and haven't poisoned us yet.
>> Nan

> Well, I hadn't really thought about how I was going to reheat
> it...usually I just microwave it....I know, I know, that isn't always
> the best way. The thing that concerned me was that when I'm cooked
> them, and cooked them to a temp of about 185*, there isn't any pink
> like that except for the smoke ring. Would the gelationous matter, if
> it was fat, be red? I think I left that detail out before. I'm just
> not sure, and I'm probably overly cautious. And please don't think
> that is anything against your cooking and expertise! Ha! So far I
> haven't poisoned anyone yet either! Ha!

Brian, if I am reading correctly, you are questioning the viability of a
cooked butt purchased from a third party? If that is the case, I would
discard it. My concern is that I would have no idea what the storage and
handling were like for the butt from start to finish. If it were improperly
cooked to boot, that would make it a bit too 'living on the edge' for me.
--
Dave

B-Worthey[_2_] 23-11-2009 05:46 PM

Bought a boston butt - don't think it was done.

> Brian, if I am reading correctly, you are questioning the viability of a
> cooked butt purchased from a third party?

Dave you'd be right. I bought it from the school here doing a fund
raiser. I saw the guy cooking them, but you're right, I don't know
what the entire handling process was. Thanks for the advice.

B-Worthey

Olde Hippee 24-11-2009 07:37 PM

On Nov 23, 11:46*am, B-Worthey > wrote:
> > Brian, if I am reading correctly, you are questioning the viability of a
> > cooked butt purchased from a third party?

> Dave you'd be right. *I bought it from the school here doing a fund
> raiser. *I saw the guy cooking them, but you're right, I don't know
> what the entire handling process was. *Thanks for the advice.
>
> B-Worthey

If you're tht uncomfortable with it, ditch it. You probably wouln't
enjoy it anyway what with worry. And it isn't worth being sick over 1
roasted piggy part!! When in doubt, throw it out!!!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Nan