Barbecue (alt.food.barbecue) Discuss barbecue and grilling--southern style "low and slow" smoking of ribs, shoulders and briskets, as well as direct heat grilling of everything from burgers to salmon to vegetables.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-11-2009, 11:19 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
Default Brining Turkey

I'm fancying brining a turkey for a few days. I've a couple of questions.

Is it safe to brine in one's garage?

Should I brine with the stuffing in?





  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-11-2009, 11:42 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,296
Default Brining Turkey

"Walter Mitty" wrote:
I'm fancying brining a turkey for a few days. I've a couple of questions.

Is it safe to brine in one's garage?


Absolutely, "Walter". Be sure to add Liquid Smoke to the brine.

Should I brine with the stuffing in?


Definitely! Might I suggest scaling up a Skirlie recipe to fit the bird:

50g of butter or (beef) drippings
1 onion - finely chopped
175g oatmeal
Salt and pepper (skip the salt since your brining)

Hope that helps. Slainte Mhath!

--
Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-11-2009, 12:33 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
Default Brining Turkey

On Nov 20, 8:24*am, Sqwertz wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:19:22 -0000, Walter Mitty wrote:
NNTP-Posting-Host: 213.78.198.94


Your fly is open and that thing is hanging out, GW.

-sw



I've been away from the group here for quite some time now, but even I
can spot that one a mile away!

B-Worthey
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-11-2009, 02:14 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,007
Default Brining Turkey

On Nov 20, 4:33*pm, B-Worthey wrote:
On Nov 20, 8:24*am, Sqwertz wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:19:22 -0000, Walter Mitty wrote:
NNTP-Posting-Host: 213.78.198.94


Your fly is open and that thing is hanging out, GW.


-sw


I've been away from the group here for quite some time now, but even I
can spot that one a mile away!

B-Worthey


Yo, Brian, glad to see ya.

  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-11-2009, 02:19 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,622
Default Brining Turkey

Tutall wrote:
On Nov 20, 4:33 pm, B-Worthey wrote:
On Nov 20, 8:24 am, Sqwertz wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:19:22 -0000, Walter Mitty wrote:
NNTP-Posting-Host: 213.78.198.94


Your fly is open and that thing is hanging out, GW.


-sw


I've been away from the group here for quite some time now, but even
I can spot that one a mile away!

B-Worthey


Yo, Brian, glad to see ya.


Ditto.

--
Dave
What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dry-brining turkey Dora General Cooking 1 20-11-2009 09:19 PM
Salting not Brining Your Turkey THE TOPANGA FOOD COACH AND CHEF General Cooking 3 22-11-2006 08:50 PM
Turkey brining bag Nancy Young General Cooking 15 03-10-2006 02:08 AM
Brining a turkey rip General Cooking 2 05-11-2005 11:49 PM
Brining a kosher turkey Peter Aitken General Cooking 17 24-11-2003 01:52 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017