Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Has anyone tried beef toungue?

Just wondering.

Thanks,

Bruce
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bruce K." > wrote in message
> Just wondering.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce

yep, I love it. We ate it as kids, still love it. I tried to smoke one
once, and it was a bit dry, but that could have been my technique or lack of
it. Usually, it is boiled.

anyone know how to smoke it?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bruce K." > wrote in message
> Just wondering.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce

yep, I love it. We ate it as kids, still love it. I tried to smoke one
once, and it was a bit dry, but that could have been my technique or lack of
it. Usually, it is boiled.

anyone know how to smoke it?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:41:15 -0500, Bruce K.
> wrote:

>Just wondering.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bruce

My dad used to cook them on a regular basis and I know he considered
them a delicacy. When he asked me if I wanted a slice, I said 'Do you
think I'd eat anything that's been in a cow's mouth?' To which he
replied 'Can I fix you a couple of eggs then?'
That was at least 65 years ago and I still remember it ;-).

Ross.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bruce K.;3058708 Wrote:
> Just wondering.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce

Yes, its commonly eaten in Japan at Yakitori-ya (shops specializing in
kebobs like chicken). Its cubed and may be marinated in a soy sauce
base.

I found the meat too tough wherever I tried it. Also, you feel the
roughness of the tongue (just like your own tongue) against your tongue
which I really don't appreciate. The taste, however, is not bad. Its
beef meaty but tough.

So go for it if you are really interested. Possibly, you might find it
at an expat Japanese restaurant where you can get a sample. Its most
common among cheap street vendors in Japan that cook it right in front
of you.

Cheers! -- Rik

--
Rik Brown

Share your experiences in the forums, blogs, videos, and online
community at 'TRAVEL.com' (http://forums.TRAVEL.com).
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:41:15 -0500, Bruce K.
> wrote:

>Just wondering.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bruce

I assume you mean smoked, right? I haven't tried smoking one but have
been eating beef tongue since childhood. It's a very popular Mexican
dish. I cook it the traditional way, boiled. I did do one a couple
weeks ago on the air cooker but it didn't come out as good as boiling.
Eddie
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:58:07 -0800, "Wallace"
> wrote:

>"Bruce K." > wrote in message
.. .
>> Just wondering.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bruce

>yep, I love it. We ate it as kids, still love it. I tried to smoke one
>once, and it was a bit dry, but that could have been my technique or lack of
>it. Usually, it is boiled.
>
>anyone know how to smoke it?

Repost from some time ago that I saved.........

Repost of Graeme's Response from some time back:

"My finest hour with the smoker happened earlier this year with an ox
tongue. The tongue I smoked was just under 2 kilos in weight. As you
indicated you have to get rid of the membrane. I assume you bought a
fresh tongue (they are also sold salted in the UK).

I boiled the tongue for 2 hours with a couple of onions. (Keep the
stock. Excellent base for soup) Let it cool and chill. The membrane
peels off easily. You can also trim the "root" if desired. Its a
little fatty. The tongue is almost, but not quite cooked at this
point.

I smoked it at 235 degrees for 3 hours 45 minutes. I halved the tongue
length ways prior to smoking as I thought it was too thick to smoke in
one piece.

I smoked it using oak chippings over lump. The bark was truly
wonderful and the inner meat remained really moist. It also freezes
well. Slice as thinly as possible. It should go a long way."

Jason

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 15, 8:41*am, Bruce K. > wrote:
> Just wondering.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce

Yeah. Very good. My mother would simmer it till tender with bay
leaf, lemon, onion. Cool, and slice. Then braise it in a mushroom
sauce. Serve with rice. Yummy. Especially the front part. It is
very lean and tender. The back part is a bit fatty for my taste.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rik Brown" > wrote in message

> Bruce K.;3058708 Wrote:
>> Just wondering.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bruce

> Yes, its commonly eaten in Japan at Yakitori-ya (shops specializing in
> kebobs like chicken). Its cubed and may be marinated in a soy sauce
> base.
>
> I found the meat too tough wherever I tried it. Also, you feel the
> roughness of the tongue (just like your own tongue) against your tongue
> which I really don't appreciate.

roughness? sounds like it wasn't peeled.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 17, 11:45*am, "Wallace" > wrote:
> "Rik Brown" > wrote in message

> > Bruce K.;3058708 Wrote:
> >> Just wondering.

> >> Thanks,

> >> Bruce

> > Yes, its commonly eaten in Japan at Yakitori-ya (shops specializing in
> > kebobs like chicken). Its cubed and may be marinated in a soy sauce
> > base.

> > I found the meat too tough wherever I tried it. Also, you feel the
> > roughness of the tongue (just like your own tongue) against your tongue
> > which I really don't appreciate.

> roughness? *sounds like it wasn't peeled.

Or perhaps undercooked. I forgot to mention in my post that the
tongue must be peeled and then sliced and browned prior to
introduction of the mushroom sauce for braising.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 17-Nov-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:45:17 -0800, Wallace wrote:
>
> > "Rik Brown" > wrote in message

> >> I found the meat too tough wherever I tried it. Also, you feel the
> >> roughness of the tongue (just like your own tongue) against your
> >> tongue
> >> which I really don't appreciate.

> > roughness? sounds like it wasn't peeled.

> Beware of idiots and morons posting from web<->usenet gateways.
> Namely, those posting from travel.com and their brethern ilk.
> They're worse than WebTV and AOL.
>
> -sw

My mother served tongue periodically when I was small. I don't
remember much about it except that my father ate it and he wasn't
known to eat crap. We had heart and liver pretty often too. I do
liver once in awhile despite my wife not eating it. I've always liked
liver and onions. There's a family restaurant down the street that
keeps liver on the menu. They do a pretty good job with mashed
potatoes and brown gravy. Guess I'll get a tongue or piece of one
and see what all the controversy is about.
--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

my uncle loved it, my grandmother made it every year for his birthday
dinner, the texture was too weird for me but it did smell good. I wish i
could eat liver, it smells wonderful, but i simply can't keep it down. Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

ster.com...