FoodBanter.com

-   -   Tonight: Home made Pizza (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/178907-tonight-home-made-pizza.html)

Gene 15-11-2009 12:13 AM

Tonight: Home made Pizza

Home made pizza tonight.

No, I did not make the dough. I do not have a mixer with a hook and I
also do not want to wait over night for the dough to proof. I have
found a good frozen dough. I will hand roll it, my son is going to
hand toss it. Should be interesting.

Stay tuned for the step by step. Same bat channel!

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"We Americans have more food to eat than any other people and more diets to keep us from eating it"

DougW[_2_] 15-11-2009 12:23 AM

Tonight: Home made Pizza

Gene wrote:
> Home made pizza tonight.

I just use large pita bread.

Topped with salsa, some shredded cheese,
tomatoes, onions, chopped up bbq brisket
sprinkled with some garlic and oregano.
Throw it in the toaster oven for 4 min or
so and *ding!* pizza. :)

--
DougW

Gene 15-11-2009 12:28 AM

Tonight: Home made Pizza

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:23:53 -0600, "DougW"
> wrote:

>Gene wrote:
>> Home made pizza tonight.

>I just use large pita bread.
>
>Topped with salsa, some shredded cheese,
>tomatoes, onions, chopped up bbq brisket
>sprinkled with some garlic and oregano.
>Throw it in the toaster oven for 4 min or
>so and *ding!* pizza. :)

That is good on occasion. I am making a Chicago pizza (not deep dish)
similar to the pizza "Home Run Inn" made prior to going commercial.
Close to what I made at my restaurant.

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"

Kent[_2_] 15-11-2009 12:28 AM

Tonight: Home made Pizza

"Gene" > wrote in message
> Home made pizza tonight.
>
> No, I did not make the dough. I do not have a mixer with a hook and I
> also do not want to wait over night for the dough to proof. I have
> found a good frozen dough. I will hand roll it, my son is going to
> hand toss it. Should be interesting.
>
> Stay tuned for the step by step. Same bat channel!
>
> Gene

Are you doing it on your gas grill? Everytime I try it the crust gets too
hot and the cheese doesn't melt. I'm going to try elevating the pizza stone
next time like this.
http://picasaweb.google.ca/mark.brid...76525906887090
if this comes through. If you can get your grill up to 550F or so using it
as a pizza oven may be a good idea. When you put the pizza on the stone make
sure you spray water mist in the oven. Repeat that three times in the first
minutes of baking. It helps give you a crisp crust.

Good Luck

Kent, dedicated pizza junkie

Gene 15-11-2009 01:27 AM

Tonight: Home made Pizza...Sorry..wrong group

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:13:47 -0600, Gene >
wrote:

>Home made pizza tonight.
>
>No, I did not make the dough. I do not have a mixer with a hook and I
>also do not want to wait over night for the dough to proof. I have
>found a good frozen dough. I will hand roll it, my son is going to
>hand toss it. Should be interesting.
>
>Stay tuned for the step by step. Same bat channel!
>
>Gene
>

>http://www.nowyourcooking.net/
>
>"We Americans have more food to eat than any other people and more diets to keep us from eating it"

Sorry, wrong group!

DougW[_2_] 15-11-2009 07:14 AM

Gene wrote:

> Sorry, wrong group!

What's wrong with BBQ pizza?

:)

I've got half a briket in the fridge which will
become pizza for more than a few days.

--
DougW

Gene 15-11-2009 08:54 AM

Tonight: Home made Pizza...Sorry..wrong group

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 00:14:49 -0600, "DougW"
> wrote:

>Gene wrote:
>
>> Sorry, wrong group!

>What's wrong with BBQ pizza?
>
>:)
>
>I've got half a briket in the fridge which will
>become pizza for more than a few days.

Nothing. But I posted an entire series of a "how to" in pictures. No
pics in this group. And the how to was typed on to the pictures. And
it was not grilled or Q'ed.

Soooo....off topic here :)

piedmont 15-11-2009 01:19 PM

Tonight: Home made Pizza

Gene wrote:
> Home made pizza tonight.
>
> No, I did not make the dough. I do not have a mixer with a hook and I
> also do not want to wait over night for the dough to proof. I have
> found a good frozen dough. I will hand roll it, my son is going to
> hand toss it. Should be interesting.
>
> Stay tuned for the step by step. Same bat channel!
>
> Gene

Do you have a bread maker machine with a dough and/or a pizza dough
cycle or programmable? I have a fantastic pizza dough recipe that takes
55 minutes in a machine then let it rise double twice. Takes 55 min
dough cycle, then about two 45 minutes rises.

--
Regards,
piedmont

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

piedmont 15-11-2009 01:24 PM

Tonight: Home made Pizza

Gene wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:23:53 -0600, "DougW"
> > wrote:
>
>> Gene wrote:
>>> Home made pizza tonight.

>> I just use large pita bread.
>>
>> Topped with salsa, some shredded cheese,
>> tomatoes, onions, chopped up bbq brisket
>> sprinkled with some garlic and oregano.
>> Throw it in the toaster oven for 4 min or
>> so and *ding!* pizza. :)

> That is good on occasion. I am making a Chicago pizza (not deep dish)
> similar to the pizza "Home Run Inn" made prior to going commercial.
> Close to what I made at my restaurant.
>
> Gene

'Chicago Pizza" is Pizzeria Uno, and The Frugal Gourmet did a great
clone of the dough (which is well suited to a bread machine. Thick dough
with corn meal as part of the ingredient, sliced cheese laid down first
over dough, crushed roma tomato with basil, oregano, garlic, salt,
sugar. Then toppings then fresh parmasan.

Brick[_3_] 15-11-2009 01:48 PM

Tonight: Home made Pizza

On 15-Nov-2009, piedmont > wrote:

> Gene wrote:
> > Home made pizza tonight.
> >
> > No, I did not make the dough. I do not have a mixer with a hook and I
> > also do not want to wait over night for the dough to proof. I have
> > found a good frozen dough. I will hand roll it, my son is going to
> > hand toss it. Should be interesting.
> >
> > Stay tuned for the step by step. Same bat channel!
> >
> > Gene

> Do you have a bread maker machine with a dough and/or a pizza dough
> cycle or programmable? I have a fantastic pizza dough recipe that takes
> 55 minutes in a machine then let it rise double twice. Takes 55 min
> dough cycle, then about two 45 minutes rises.
>
> --
> Regards,
> piedmont

I'll trade you a cd of the 2009 Milan, GA HTH for a copy of your
pizza dough recipe.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

DougW[_2_] 15-11-2009 04:04 PM

Gene wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 00:14:49 -0600, "DougW"
> > wrote:
>
>> Gene wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, wrong group!

>> What's wrong with BBQ pizza?
>>
>> :)
>>
>> I've got half a briket in the fridge which will
>> become pizza for more than a few days.

> Nothing. But I posted an entire series of a "how to" in pictures. No
> pics in this group. And the how to was typed on to the pictures. And
> it was not grilled or Q'ed.
>
> Soooo....off topic here :)

which group?

--
DougW

Stormmee 15-11-2009 05:43 PM

Tonight: Home made Pizza

i would love that, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

Gene 15-11-2009 09:23 PM

Tonight: Home made Pizza...Sorry..wrong group

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 09:04:43 -0600, "DougW"
> wrote:

>Gene wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 00:14:49 -0600, "DougW"
>> > wrote:

>>> What's wrong with BBQ pizza?
>>>
>>> :)
>>>
>>> I've got half a briket in the fridge which will
>>> become pizza for more than a few days.

>> Nothing. But I posted an entire series of a "how to" in pictures. No
>> pics in this group. And the how to was typed on to the pictures. And
>> it was not grilled or Q'ed.
>>
>> Soooo....off topic here :)

>which group?

alt.bin.food

Nick Cramer 16-11-2009 01:13 AM

Tonight: Home made Pizza

"Brick" > wrote:
> On 15-Nov-2009, piedmont > wrote:
> > Gene wrote:
> > > Home made pizza tonight.
> > >
> > > No, I did not make the dough. I do not have a mixer with a hook and I
> > > also do not want to wait over night for the dough to proof. I have
> > > found a good frozen dough. I will hand roll it, my son is going to
> > > hand toss it. Should be interesting.
> > >
> > > Stay tuned for the step by step. Same bat channel!

> > Do you have a bread maker machine with a dough and/or a pizza dough
> > cycle or programmable? I have a fantastic pizza dough recipe that takes
> > 55 minutes in a machine then let it rise double twice. Takes 55 min
> > dough cycle, then about two 45 minutes rises.

> I'll trade you a cd of the 2009 Milan, GA HTH for a copy of your
> pizza dough recipe.

Pizza Crusts

This makes a thin, crispy crust with airy pockets. The dough will be
sticky and difficult to manage, but its a great crisp crust. From Peter
Reinhart’s American Pie book

5 c (22 1/2 oz) unbleached bread flour
2 T sugar or honey
2 t table salt or 3 1/2 t kosher salt
1 t instant yeast
2 T olive oil
1-3/4 c plus 1 T room temp water

If not using a bread machine,

1. With lg metal spoon, stir together all ingredients by hand for 1
minute, until combine. Then use electric mixer - with the dough hook on
low for 4 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. Then mix again for 2 minutes
on medium-low until the dough clears sides of bowl and sticks just a bit on
the bottom. Adjust water or flour as necessary, using 1 T at a time.

2. Immediately divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Round each into a ball
and brush with olive oil. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Then put in
refrig overnight. If making for same day, let dough rest 1 hr at room
temp, punch down, reshape them into balls and cover again - refrig for at
least 2 hrs)

3. 2 hours before you plan to serve, remove dough from refrigerator and
place at room temperature.

ABM directions: bring all ingredients to room temp and place in machine.

Select dough cycle and press Start. When machine is finished, take out and
put on floured board, covered for 10 to 15 minutes then roll out and put
on pan or peel dusted with cornmeal. Then add sauce, any toppings (make
sure hamburger and sausage are cooked and drained before placing on pizza)
and mozzarella. Bake at 500 F for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove when crust is
starting to char and cheese is melted and almost starting to turn brown.

For a fun read and the best pizza information, go to Jeff Varasano's NY
Pizza Recipe:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/jvpizza/

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Ed Pawlowski 16-11-2009 04:00 AM

Tonight: Home made Pizza

Gene wrote:
> No, I did not make the dough. I do not have a mixer with a hook and I
> also do not want to wait over night for the dough to proof. I have
> found a good frozen dough. I will hand roll it, my son is going to
> hand toss it. Should be interesting.

Proof over night? I can make it by hand and let it rise a few hours.
Although it is easier sometimes to buy a bag or two of dough and let it rise
of an hour.

Gene 16-11-2009 05:30 AM

Tonight: Home made Pizza

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 22:00:19 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

> Gene wrote:
> > No, I did not make the dough. I do not have a mixer with a hook and I
>> also do not want to wait over night for the dough to proof. I have
>> found a good frozen dough. I will hand roll it, my son is going to
>> hand toss it. Should be interesting.

>Proof over night? I can make it by hand and let it rise a few hours.
>Although it is easier sometimes to buy a bag or two of dough and let it rise
>of an hour.

If I had made it from scratch it would have had to proof over night
due to the messed up schedule we have in this house.

BTW, the frozen dough I got does not require any rising. Just thaw and
go!

Yep, makes it much easier. Quicker too.

Cheers!

Gene 16-11-2009 05:32 AM

Tonight: Home made Pizza

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 07:19:22 -0500, piedmont > wrote:

>Gene wrote:
>> Home made pizza tonight.
>>
>> No, I did not make the dough. I do not have a mixer with a hook and I
>> also do not want to wait over night for the dough to proof. I have
>> found a good frozen dough. I will hand roll it, my son is going to
>> hand toss it. Should be interesting.
>>
>> Stay tuned for the step by step. Same bat channel!
>>
>> Gene

>Do you have a bread maker machine with a dough and/or a pizza dough
>cycle or programmable? I have a fantastic pizza dough recipe that takes
>55 minutes in a machine then let it rise double twice. Takes 55 min
>dough cycle, then about two 45 minutes rises.

Nope. The bread machine I had broke down. I do have to get another as
I LOVED the thing!