Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Sunday fun

Just started cooking three slabs of ribs, seasoned last night and took
out of fridge early to bring up to room temp.,

later I'll stoke up the grill and cook home made venison sausage, plus
home made hot links, with common dogs for the lil' ones.

Sides will be potato salad, collard greens, rolls, white cake for desert
oh and deviled eggs.
--
Regards,
piedmont

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 8, 11:08*am, piedmont > wrote:
> Just started cooking three slabs of ribs, seasoned last night and took
> out of fridge early to bring up to room temp.,
>
> later I'll stoke up the grill and cook home made venison sausage, plus
> home made hot links, with common dogs for the lil' ones.
>
> Sides will be potato salad, collard greens, rolls, white cake for desert
> oh and deviled eggs.
> --
> Regards,
> piedmont
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

I had three slabs of spare ribs on the smoker yesterday as well. Wife
and son were coming back from a Boy Scout camping trip mid afternoon,
so I had the ribs scheduled to come off at 5 for dinner at 6. They
got to eat without me, as I was out playing basketball 6-8, but the
ribs were still nice and warm when I got back to a nice hunk o'smoked
meat!

Also made some sauce while the ribs were smoking. I have based the
sauce on the Memphis magic sauce recipe in Smoke and Spice. It is the
third time I have made this sauce and this first time I was patient
enough to cook it long enough that the sauce thickened enough.

I tripled the recipe so that I would have enough in the pan to
maintain a good simmer. With only 2 cups of liquid, it was hard to
keep a simmer going in such a small pot. With the batch I made
yeaterday, it was no problem. It took 40 minutes of cooking and
stirring, but in the end it coated the spoon nicely.

Recipe:

Sautee:
8 Tbsp butter
4 oz pureed garlic
2 Tbsp onion powder

Add:
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups tomato sauce
3/4 c Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp pork rub (paprika, salt, coriander, cumin, black pepper, brown
sugar)
1/2 tsp cayenne
3/4 cup sugar

simmer/boil 40 minutes. stirred almost constantly for last 20 minutes
(when the blooping of the boil starts to make a mess.

This recipe cooked down into about 30 ounces of sauce. Sweet enough
for my bride and spicy enough for me.

Rock