Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Sweet Potato Fries

This ain't smoking or grilling, so please don't flame me.

A while backi, I decided that our typical favorite for pulled
pork: baked sweet potato served hollowed out with brown sugar and
cinnamon in the pit, might be something to be improved upon.
After a few experiments (none of God's creatures were harmed in
these experiment), here's what Mrs. Nonny has declared to be the
"locked in" recipe. Variations are permitted, but only if she's
not told about them. <grin>

1 medium sweet potato for 1-2 people

3/4 cup non-packed Parmesan cheese, shaved
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp dry bread crumbs

Cruet with 2 tbsp catsup and 1 tsp or less Siraccia<sp?> sauce

Place the cheese and stuff in a tupperware container and shake
like crazy to combine all ingredients- set aside refrigerated

Nuke sweet potato about 8 minutes until barely fork tender. Peel
and gently roll out between your hands to make solid
Cut potato into 1/3" strips and arrange tightly on baking sheet,
sprayed with Pam. Spray surface of sweet potato fingers with Pam
as well. Sprinkly to cover with cheese blend.

Place under broiling pan in oven broiler and go as long as you can
before burning the cheese. The longer the crisper and the better.

The sweet potato fingers can be deep fat fried, if you have a
fryer going. They're even better if you shake them in a bag of
potato flour or potato starch, but that's up to you.

--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
in your wallet were ever in a stripper's butt crack?
Have a nice day ..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

excellent, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Nonny" > wrote in message
> This ain't smoking or grilling, so please don't flame me.
>
> A while backi, I decided that our typical favorite for pulled pork: baked
> sweet potato served hollowed out with brown sugar and cinnamon in the pit,
> might be something to be improved upon. After a few experiments (none of
> God's creatures were harmed in these experiment), here's what Mrs. Nonny
> has declared to be the "locked in" recipe. Variations are permitted, but
> only if she's not told about them. <grin>
>
> 1 medium sweet potato for 1-2 people
>
> 3/4 cup non-packed Parmesan cheese, shaved
> 1 tbsp chili powder
> 1 tbsp brown sugar
> 1 tbsp dry bread crumbs
>
> Cruet with 2 tbsp catsup and 1 tsp or less Siraccia<sp?> sauce
>
> Place the cheese and stuff in a tupperware container and shake like crazy
> to combine all ingredients- set aside refrigerated
>
> Nuke sweet potato about 8 minutes until barely fork tender. Peel and
> gently roll out between your hands to make solid
> Cut potato into 1/3" strips and arrange tightly on baking sheet, sprayed
> with Pam. Spray surface of sweet potato fingers with Pam as well.
> Sprinkly to cover with cheese blend.
>
> Place under broiling pan in oven broiler and go as long as you can before
> burning the cheese. The longer the crisper and the better.
>
> The sweet potato fingers can be deep fat fried, if you have a fryer going.
> They're even better if you shake them in a bag of potato flour or potato
> starch, but that's up to you.
>

> --
> Nonny
>
> Have you ever wondered if the bills
> in your wallet were ever in a stripper's butt crack?
> Have a nice day ..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...
> Nonny said:
>

>> Nuke sweet potato about 8 minutes until barely fork tender.
>> Peel
>> and gently roll out between your hands to make solid

> Can you elaborate? I don't follow what you were doing there.

I found it necessary to remove the skin from the sweet potatoes
before running them through my "residential-grade" french fry
cutter. They're too hard, without softening to go through without
excessive and damaging force to the plastic cutter. If I had a
good SS or cast french fry cutter, then I'd do them raw and
include the skin, since I love the skin of a potato and feel it
adds to both the flavor, texture and nutrition. By "nuke," of
course I refer to the microwave oven, which I use to soften the
sweet potatoes. After peeling off the skin, following a nuke, the
sweet potato is pretty chewed up, so I round it back up before
using the fry cutter.

With the way this explanation is going, Marty, I might also see
what it's like if I used a potato peeler and did the skin with it
BEFORE softening the sweet potatoes. I just never tried it, so I
have no opinion. . . yet. <grin>

>> Cut potato into 1/3" strips and arrange tightly on baking
>> sheet,
>> sprayed with Pam. Spray surface of sweet potato fingers with
>> Pam
>> as well. Sprinkly to cover with cheese blend.
>>
>> Place under broiling pan in oven broiler and go as long as you
>> can
>> before burning the cheese. The longer the crisper and the
>> better.
>>
>> The sweet potato fingers can be deep fat fried, if you have a
>> fryer going. They're even better if you shake them in a bag of
>> potato flour or potato starch, but that's up to you.

> The Parmesan mix doesn't make a mess in the deep fryer? I'd
> think some
> coating would be pretty important.

Again, I'm guilty of a bad explanation. I've experimented with
frying, but then laid them out on the baking sheet THEN added the
sprinkle and did a quick trip through the broiler.

> I'll divert to my latest love in deep frying, tempura-panko
> coating.
> Whatever it is (usually shrimp, mushrooms, or onion rings around
> here, going
> to try it on chicken wings next) gets prepped as follows:
>
> Kikkoman dry tempura mix (I use a commercial pack but I'm pretty
> sure it's
> available in a grocer pack too)
>
> equal amount of ice cold "sparkling" water (I added the
> sparkling part, not
> called for by label)
>
> Panko style bread crumbs
>
> Season food as desired. Dredge pieces in some dry tempura mix
> just until
> very lightly coated.
>
> Mix equal amounts of water and tempura mix. It will foam up.
> Stir only until
> the foam subsides and dry mix incorporated, do not over mix.
>
> Dip each piece of food in the tempura, shake off excess, and
> quickly lay it
> in the panko, one side, then the other. Don't try to mush it
> around in there
> or you'll just ruin the panko with the batter. Start with small
> amounts of
> panko, and if you start getting a lot of big clumps, pull them
> out and add
> more crumbs.
>
> Set food on a rack as you finish, but don't hold, fry as soon as
> you finish,
> or you can drop one basketfull while you dredge up the next.
>
> Fry each batch at about 340F for 3-4 minutes.
>
> The resulting coating is a great combination of delicious crunch
> and the
> subtle puffiness of tempura.
>
> I'm thinking the sweet potato recipe above would be very
> interesting with
> this treatment. Chances are it will happen soon.

Since it sounds like you have a handy fryer and use it frequently,
give this a try and let me know what you think:

Cut the sweet potato (raw) into fry-shaped strips using a knife or
commercial fry cutter and then shake them in POTATO flour. Deep
fry. This might give you less of an oily taste and the flour
would brown up/crisp up well.

> Now for longer cooking foods, like chicken, I can't give time
> and temp.
> Typically jumbo wings have to go 8-9 minutes at a lower temp,
> say 330-335,
> and when I've deep fried with panko in the past, that's been too
> long to
> prevent it from getting too dark and somewhat burnt tasting,
> definitely over
> crunchy.
>
> Has anyone used panko for deep frying longer cooking items like
> chicken?
> Comments?
>
> MartyB in KC

Have you tried it using 2 stages? Fry the wings a bit "naked,"
then remove, drain, dip and fry more.
--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
in your wallet were ever in a stripper's butt crack?
Have a nice day ..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 30-Oct-2009, "Nonny" > wrote:

> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
> message ...
> > Nonny said:
> >

> >> Nuke sweet potato about 8 minutes until barely fork tender.
> >> Peel
> >> and gently roll out between your hands to make solid

> > Can you elaborate? I don't follow what you were doing there.

> I found it necessary to remove the skin from the sweet potatoes
> before running them through my "residential-grade" french fry
> cutter. They're too hard, without softening to go through without
> excessive and damaging force to the plastic cutter. If I had a
> good SS or cast french fry cutter, then I'd do them raw and
> include the skin, since I love the skin of a potato and feel it
> adds to both the flavor, texture and nutrition. By "nuke," of
> course I refer to the microwave oven, which I use to soften the
> sweet potatoes. After peeling off the skin, following a nuke, the
> sweet potato is pretty chewed up, so I round it back up before
> using the fry cutter.
>
> With the way this explanation is going, Marty, I might also see
> what it's like if I used a potato peeler and did the skin with it
> BEFORE softening the sweet potatoes. I just never tried it, so I
> have no opinion. . . yet. <grin>

.. . .

Try the potato peeler first Nonny, but then wrap your sweet tater
with parchment paper (so it won't stick) and then with a kitchen
towel before nuking. You get a lot more control over the nuking
that way and more even heating through the potato. Don't use
towels that you're proud of. Sometimes they get scorched. I did
bakers that way (sans the paper) for years until I got this little
toaster oven. Even now, I'll nuke a baker if I'm in a hurry. I like
real oven roasted taters, but I'm not a potato snob.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ter.com...

> On 30-Oct-2009, "Nonny" > wrote:

>> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote
>> in
>> message ...

>> > Can you elaborate? I don't follow what you were doing there.

>> I found it necessary to remove the skin from the sweet potatoes
>> before running them through my "residential-grade" french fry
>> cutter. They're too hard, without softening to go through
>> without
>> excessive and damaging force to the plastic cutter. If I had a
>> good SS or cast french fry cutter, then I'd do them raw and
>> include the skin, since I love the skin of a potato and feel it
>> adds to both the flavor, texture and nutrition. By "nuke," of
>> course I refer to the microwave oven, which I use to soften the
>> sweet potatoes. After peeling off the skin, following a nuke,
>> the
>> sweet potato is pretty chewed up, so I round it back up before
>> using the fry cutter.
>>
>> With the way this explanation is going, Marty, I might also see
>> what it's like if I used a potato peeler and did the skin with
>> it
>> BEFORE softening the sweet potatoes. I just never tried it, so
>> have no opinion. . . yet. <grin>

> . . .
>
> Try the potato peeler first Nonny, but then wrap your sweet
> tater
> with parchment paper (so it won't stick) and then with a kitchen
> towel before nuking. You get a lot more control over the nuking
> that way and more even heating through the potato. Don't use
> towels that you're proud of. Sometimes they get scorched. I did
> bakers that way (sans the paper) for years until I got this
> little
> toaster oven. Even now, I'll nuke a baker if I'm in a hurry. I
> like
> real oven roasted taters, but I'm not a potato snob.
>
> --
> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Thanks for the good advice (as always), Brick. FWIW, I ordered
the Weston FF cutter today, along with a 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4"
cutters. It seems to be a well regarded one of cast iron that
should hold up to the sweet potatoes, including skin, I hope.
I'll keep the little POS plastic one for hard boiled eggs. <grin>

--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
in your wallet were ever in a stripper's butt crack?
Have a nice day ..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonny" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the good advice (as always), Brick. FWIW, I ordered the Weston
> FF cutter today, along with a 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4" cutters. It seems to be a
> well regarded one of cast iron that should hold up to the sweet potatoes,
> including skin, I hope. I'll keep the little POS plastic one for hard
> boiled eggs. <grin>

That's a serious cutter. I've cut sweet potatoes by hand and cooked them
raw as opposed to nuking, but I may try your method to make the cooking
process a bit faster. We like them with red pepper, but I'm going to have
to try your recipe. Sounds very good.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 31-Oct-2009, "Nonny" > wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message

.. . .

> Thanks for the good advice (as always), Brick. FWIW, I ordered
> the Weston FF cutter today, along with a 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4"
> cutters. It seems to be a well regarded one of cast iron that
> should hold up to the sweet potatoes, including skin, I hope.
> I'll keep the little POS plastic one for hard boiled eggs. <grin>
>
> --
> Nonny

I've always wanted a decent french fry cutter, but never would
part with the money. I have one of those POS plastic ones
myself, but find myself usually cutting them by hand. I only
do a couple of potatoes at a time, so it doesn't take long.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message

> When you deep fry yams, do you double cook them like french fries, a
> partial
> cook till they are limp, pull and rest, then finish in hotter oil?
>
> Not necessary for premade frozen fries, of course, those have already been
> partially cooked, but I wondered if the technique works for sweet potato
> fries too.
>
> MartyB

I've not dried the double method on them, but it should work. They don't
get as crispy as regular potatoes.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 31-Oct-2009, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> >
> > When you deep fry yams, do you double cook them like french fries, a
> > partial
> > cook till they are limp, pull and rest, then finish in hotter oil?
> >
> > Not necessary for premade frozen fries, of course, those have already
> > been
> > partially cooked, but I wondered if the technique works for sweet
> > potato
> > fries too.
> >
> > MartyB

Yes but! The double fry technique is used to get rid of the excess
moisture in the potatoes that drags the oil temperature down. By
prefrying you get rid of much of the water leaving a potato that
is ready to be fried in hot oil. When re-introduced to the fryer
the temperature doesn't drop radically, thus allowing your food
to fry properly. Sweet potatoes don't contain nearly so much
water to begin with, so the benefit is less apparent. I'll still double
fry, but use shorter timing for sweet potatoes.

You of course are encouraged to do as you please. (YMMV)

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message

> That's the difference because I seldom reheat foods on plates. Most of my
> plates are some kind of stoneware and they don't perform well in the
> microwave, getting way too hot and drawing off a lot of the energy
> intended
> for heating food. So if I'm using a nuke I'll reheat foods in individual
> containers, usually the same ones they were stored in, and then plate them
> up.

This time of year I usually put the plates in the oven for a few minutes to
warm up. Especially nice with delicate foods, like an egg.

> I probably take more time using the nuke than most people anyway, because
> seldom use full power, and stop and start some foods to check them during
> the process, sometimes even with rests between bursts. I find the food
> heats
> more evenly that way with fewer of the hot spots that destroy flavor and
> texture.
>
> MartyB

That's the way it should be done. Resting time in an important function
when microwave cooking but most people just want high power and fast with no
consideration of quality.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 1-Nov-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

> Nonny said:
> > "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
> > message ...

.. . .

> That's the difference because I seldom reheat foods on plates. Most of my
> plates are some kind of stoneware and they don't perform well in the
> microwave, getting way too hot and drawing off a lot of the energy
> intended
> for heating food. So if I'm using a nuke I'll reheat foods in individual
> containers, usually the same ones they were stored in, and then plate
> them
> up.
>
> I probably take more time using the nuke than most people anyway, because
> seldom use full power, and stop and start some foods to check them during
> the process, sometimes even with rests between bursts. I find the food
> heats
> more evenly that way with fewer of the hot spots that destroy flavor and
> texture.
>
> MartyB

I have a love/hate relationship with my microwave. I cannot reheat in
Gladware/Tupperware because they melt while I am not watching.
I use glass, corelle and corning ware with and without covers depending
on the situation. I also use low power and start/stop techniques. Oddly
enough, the micowave makes great meatloaf if you use a glass bunt pan.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

now there's a recipe i would love to see, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 1-Nov-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" >
> wrote:
>
>> Nonny said:
>> > "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
>> > message ...

> . . .
>

>> That's the difference because I seldom reheat foods on plates. Most of my
>> plates are some kind of stoneware and they don't perform well in the
>> microwave, getting way too hot and drawing off a lot of the energy
>> intended
>> for heating food. So if I'm using a nuke I'll reheat foods in individual
>> containers, usually the same ones they were stored in, and then plate
>> them
>> up.
>>
>> I probably take more time using the nuke than most people anyway, because
>> seldom use full power, and stop and start some foods to check them during
>> the process, sometimes even with rests between bursts. I find the food
>> heats
>> more evenly that way with fewer of the hot spots that destroy flavor and
>> texture.
>>
>> MartyB

> I have a love/hate relationship with my microwave. I cannot reheat in
> Gladware/Tupperware because they melt while I am not watching.
> I use glass, corelle and corning ware with and without covers depending
> on the situation. I also use low power and start/stop techniques. Oddly
> enough, the micowave makes great meatloaf if you use a glass bunt pan.
>
> --
> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i think the best deep fried sweet potato deep fried to date for me is the
tempura, sp sweet potatoes at our local chinese buffett, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 31-Oct-2009, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
>> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > When you deep fry yams, do you double cook them like french fries, a
>> > partial
>> > cook till they are limp, pull and rest, then finish in hotter oil?
>> >
>> > Not necessary for premade frozen fries, of course, those have already
>> > been
>> > partially cooked, but I wondered if the technique works for sweet
>> > potato
>> > fries too.
>> >
>> > MartyB

> Yes but! The double fry technique is used to get rid of the excess
> moisture in the potatoes that drags the oil temperature down. By
> prefrying you get rid of much of the water leaving a potato that
> is ready to be fried in hot oil. When re-introduced to the fryer
> the temperature doesn't drop radically, thus allowing your food
> to fry properly. Sweet potatoes don't contain nearly so much
> water to begin with, so the benefit is less apparent. I'll still double
> fry, but use shorter timing for sweet potatoes.
>
> You of course are encouraged to do as you please. (YMMV)
>
> --
> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Nov-2009, "Stormmmee" > wrote:

> now there's a recipe i would love to see, Lee
>
> --
> Have a great day

Gee, I've never considered a recipe for meatloaf. It just is.

Gather together some;
Ground beef
Ground pork
Onion (Can't cook anything without onion)
Bell Pepper
Egg(s)
Bread crumbs
Garlic (Can't cook anything without garlic either)
Catsup
S & P

Mix two parts of ground beef with one part of ground pork. Add an egg
for every 1.5 pounds of meat. Use a half cup each of chopped onion and
pepper for each pound of meat. Mix in enough catsup to give some color
to the mix. Finally mix in enough bread crumbs to firm up the mix. It's not
critical, but you don't want to leave it too soupy. Season to taste. Herbs
are beneficial if you have them. I like a few red pepper flakes in mine,
but not enough to add heat. Bake uncovered on high until the loaf begins
to pull away from the edges of the pan. If you use a regular oven, bake
at 325F to 350F.

You don't have to use a bundt pan to cook meatloaf, but it does help
to distribute the heat more evenly for a decent texture all the way
through.
You can use a loaf pan if you like or even just mould the meat into a loaf
and cook it that way.

Anybody wants to help me out, feel free to jump in here.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 2-Nov-2009, "Stormmmee" > wrote:
>
>> now there's a recipe i would love to see, Lee
>>
>> --
>> Have a great day

> Gee, I've never considered a recipe for meatloaf. It just is.
>
> Gather together some;
> Ground beef
> Ground pork
> Onion (Can't cook anything without onion)
> Bell Pepper
> Egg(s)
> Bread crumbs
> Garlic (Can't cook anything without garlic either)
> Catsup
> S & P
>
> Mix two parts of ground beef with one part of ground pork. Add
> an egg
> for every 1.5 pounds of meat. Use a half cup each of chopped
> onion and
> pepper for each pound of meat. Mix in enough catsup to give some
> color
> to the mix. Finally mix in enough bread crumbs to firm up the
> mix. It's not
> critical, but you don't want to leave it too soupy. Season to
> taste. Herbs
> are beneficial if you have them. I like a few red pepper flakes
> in mine,
> but not enough to add heat. Bake uncovered on high until the
> loaf begins
> to pull away from the edges of the pan. If you use a regular
> oven, bake
> at 325F to 350F.
>
> You don't have to use a bundt pan to cook meatloaf, but it does
> help
> to distribute the heat more evenly for a decent texture all the
> way
> through.
> You can use a loaf pan if you like or even just mould the meat
> into a loaf
> and cook it that way.
>
> Anybody wants to help me out, feel free to jump in here.

I'm not chiming in with anything from experience, but my Mom used
to add in about 1/3 ground veal, saying that the veal would puff
up and make the meatloaf lighter. I once heard that the guys who
make hot dogs that are supposed to puff up and split the skin use
veal for that reason as well. I'd be interested in anybody's
thoughts on that.

--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
in your wallet were ever in a stripper's butt crack?
Have a nice day ..

Member

yum yum and more yummmm...adding bread crumbs was sucha good idea!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i was specifically interested if it were different from regular in the oven
meatloaf, and the answer is no, but thanks i might give this a try in the
nuker, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 2-Nov-2009, "Stormmmee" > wrote:
>
>> now there's a recipe i would love to see, Lee
>>
>> --
>> Have a great day

> Gee, I've never considered a recipe for meatloaf. It just is.
>
> Gather together some;
> Ground beef
> Ground pork
> Onion (Can't cook anything without onion)
> Bell Pepper
> Egg(s)
> Bread crumbs
> Garlic (Can't cook anything without garlic either)
> Catsup
> S & P
>
> Mix two parts of ground beef with one part of ground pork. Add an egg
> for every 1.5 pounds of meat. Use a half cup each of chopped onion and
> pepper for each pound of meat. Mix in enough catsup to give some color
> to the mix. Finally mix in enough bread crumbs to firm up the mix. It's
> not
> critical, but you don't want to leave it too soupy. Season to taste. Herbs
> are beneficial if you have them. I like a few red pepper flakes in mine,
> but not enough to add heat. Bake uncovered on high until the loaf begins
> to pull away from the edges of the pan. If you use a regular oven, bake
> at 325F to 350F.
>
> You don't have to use a bundt pan to cook meatloaf, but it does help
> to distribute the heat more evenly for a decent texture all the way
> through.
> You can use a loaf pan if you like or even just mould the meat into a loaf
> and cook it that way.
>
> Anybody wants to help me out, feel free to jump in here.
>
> --
> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Nov-2009, "Stormmee" > wrote:

> i was specifically interested if it were different from regular in the
> oven
> meatloaf, and the answer is no, but thanks i might give this a try in the
>
> nuker, Lee

We got to talking about microwave meatloaf and I might have given
the impression that there is no difference between microwave meatloaf
and oven baked meatloaf. IMNSHO microwave meatloaf is quite
good and I usually make it that way. But I would be the last person
on earth to say that it is the same as oven baked meatloaf. Microwave
is more of a steam environment then an indirect heat environment such
as an oven. The microwave essentially lacks the carmellizing effect that
the oven produces on the surface of food. Thus there is significant
difference in the taste and texture of the final product. That doesn't
signify 'Bad', but it does signify 'Different'.

--
Brick said that.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Nov-2009, "Nonny" > wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ster.com...
> >
> > On 2-Nov-2009, "Stormmmee" > wrote:
> >
> >> now there's a recipe i would love to see, Lee
> >>
> >> --
> >> Have a great day

> > Gee, I've never considered a recipe for meatloaf. It just is.
> >
> > Gather together some;
> > Ground beef
> > Ground pork
> > Onion (Can't cook anything without onion)
> > Bell Pepper
> > Egg(s)
> > Bread crumbs
> > Garlic (Can't cook anything without garlic either)
> > Catsup
> > S & P
> >
> > Mix two parts of ground beef with one part of ground pork. Add
> > an egg
> > for every 1.5 pounds of meat. Use a half cup each of chopped
> > onion and
> > pepper for each pound of meat. Mix in enough catsup to give some
> > color
> > to the mix. Finally mix in enough bread crumbs to firm up the
> > mix. It's not
> > critical, but you don't want to leave it too soupy. Season to
> > taste. Herbs
> > are beneficial if you have them. I like a few red pepper flakes
> > in mine,
> > but not enough to add heat. Bake uncovered on high until the
> > loaf begins
> > to pull away from the edges of the pan. If you use a regular
> > oven, bake
> > at 325F to 350F.
> >
> > You don't have to use a bundt pan to cook meatloaf, but it does
> > help
> > to distribute the heat more evenly for a decent texture all the
> > way
> > through.
> > You can use a loaf pan if you like or even just mould the meat
> > into a loaf
> > and cook it that way.
> >
> > Anybody wants to help me out, feel free to jump in here.

> I'm not chiming in with anything from experience, but my Mom used
> to add in about 1/3 ground veal, saying that the veal would puff
> up and make the meatloaf lighter. I once heard that the guys who
> make hot dogs that are supposed to puff up and split the skin use
> veal for that reason as well. I'd be interested in anybody's
> thoughts on that.
>
> --
> Nonny

Meatloaf is generally made as an economy entre' and as such
precludes the use of veal at my house. Veal in any form is too
pricey around here for me to include it in meatloaf.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Nov-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

> Brick said:
> > On 31-Oct-2009, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
> >> message

> > Yes but! The double fry technique is used to get rid of the excess
> > moisture in the potatoes that drags the oil temperature down. By
> > prefrying you get rid of much of the water leaving a potato that
> > is ready to be fried in hot oil. When re-introduced to the fryer
> > the temperature doesn't drop radically, thus allowing your food
> > to fry properly. Sweet potatoes don't contain nearly so much
> > water to begin with, so the benefit is less apparent. I'll still
> > double fry, but use shorter timing for sweet potatoes.
> >
> > You of course are encouraged to do as you please. (YMMV)

> That being the case I'll probably just try single frying them using the
> tempura/panko coating I referred to earlier. Yams are on sale this week
> for
> 50 cents a pound so if the spearmint goes all Frankenstein, at least it
> won't cost much. I'll report back on the results.
>
> MartyB in KC

You'll do okay Marty. You know what to look for and have some idea
why potatoes act the way they do. A small trial batch will likely tell you
everything you need to know to get what you want with the rest.

**I just did a batch of store bought frozen fries tonight. They had a lot
of ice crystals on them, so I gave them a short prefry to get rid of the
water before finallizing them at 375F. They were good as usual. Just
knowing about the little variables is a big help.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i wasn't clear either, i meant different in a big way in the recipe...
everything in the nuker is different to me but usually not worse just
different, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Brick" > wrote in message
ter.com...

> On 2-Nov-2009, "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> i was specifically interested if it were different from regular in the
>> oven
>> meatloaf, and the answer is no, but thanks i might give this a try in the
>>
>> nuker, Lee

> We got to talking about microwave meatloaf and I might have given
> the impression that there is no difference between microwave meatloaf
> and oven baked meatloaf. IMNSHO microwave meatloaf is quite
> good and I usually make it that way. But I would be the last person
> on earth to say that it is the same as oven baked meatloaf. Microwave
> is more of a steam environment then an indirect heat environment such
> as an oven. The microwave essentially lacks the carmellizing effect that
> the oven produces on the surface of food. Thus there is significant
> difference in the taste and texture of the final product. That doesn't
> signify 'Bad', but it does signify 'Different'.
>
> --
> Brick said that.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3-Nov-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

> Brick said:
> >
> > **I just did a batch of store bought frozen fries tonight. They had a
> > lot of ice crystals on them, so I gave them a short prefry to get rid
> > of the water before finallizing them at 375F. They were good as
> > usual. Just knowing about the little variables is a big help.

> That raises a good point. If you don't use an entire package of
> storebought
> frozen fries then unless you vac bag them, the remainder will always take
> on
> a lot of extra ice crystals in the fridge. They never seem to fry as well
> after that but I always attributed it to freezer burn. I think you hit on
> the real reason they don't fry up so well.
>
> I wish I could get my fryer to do a full 375F. (Waring Pro) The temp
> control
> maxes at 375 but testing it with a thermopen shows it really can't hold
> temps higher than 360-365. However most of my cooking is at lower temps
> so I
> didn't bother to take it back and complain.
>
> MartyB in KC

Pretend that you didn't read this. I took my Krupps deep fryer apart
and readjusted the themostat. It has a little bitty adjustment screw
that was sealed with a dab of plastic. I fiddled with it until I get it to
holding pretty well about 375F. I mostly only run it that high for
potatoes,
but they really like that higher heat. I used a big Taylor bulb type
thermometer as my reference. It works pretty good now.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)