Old 02-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Member

yum yum and more yummmm...adding bread crumbs was sucha good idea!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Sweet Potato Fries

i was specifically interested if it were different from regular in the oven
meatloaf, and the answer is no, but thanks i might give this a try in the
nuker, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Brick" wrote in message
ster.com...

On 2-Nov-2009, "Stormmmee" wrote:

now there's a recipe i would love to see, Lee

--
Have a great day

Gee, I've never considered a recipe for meatloaf. It just is.

Gather together some;
Ground beef
Ground pork
Onion (Can't cook anything without onion)
Bell Pepper
Egg(s)
Bread crumbs
Garlic (Can't cook anything without garlic either)
Catsup
S & P

Mix two parts of ground beef with one part of ground pork. Add an egg
for every 1.5 pounds of meat. Use a half cup each of chopped onion and
pepper for each pound of meat. Mix in enough catsup to give some color
to the mix. Finally mix in enough bread crumbs to firm up the mix. It's
not
critical, but you don't want to leave it too soupy. Season to taste. Herbs
are beneficial if you have them. I like a few red pepper flakes in mine,
but not enough to add heat. Bake uncovered on high until the loaf begins
to pull away from the edges of the pan. If you use a regular oven, bake
at 325F to 350F.

You don't have to use a bundt pan to cook meatloaf, but it does help
to distribute the heat more evenly for a decent texture all the way
through.
You can use a loaf pan if you like or even just mould the meat into a loaf
and cook it that way.

Anybody wants to help me out, feel free to jump in here.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Nov-2009, "Stormmee" wrote:

i was specifically interested if it were different from regular in the
oven
meatloaf, and the answer is no, but thanks i might give this a try in the

nuker, Lee

We got to talking about microwave meatloaf and I might have given
the impression that there is no difference between microwave meatloaf
and oven baked meatloaf. IMNSHO microwave meatloaf is quite
good and I usually make it that way. But I would be the last person
on earth to say that it is the same as oven baked meatloaf. Microwave
is more of a steam environment then an indirect heat environment such
as an oven. The microwave essentially lacks the carmellizing effect that
the oven produces on the surface of food. Thus there is significant
difference in the taste and texture of the final product. That doesn't
signify 'Bad', but it does signify 'Different'.

--
Brick said that.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Nov-2009, "Nonny" wrote:

"Brick" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not chiming in with anything from experience, but my Mom used
to add in about 1/3 ground veal, saying that the veal would puff
up and make the meatloaf lighter. I once heard that the guys who
make hot dogs that are supposed to puff up and split the skin use
veal for that reason as well. I'd be interested in anybody's
thoughts on that.

--
Nonny

Meatloaf is generally made as an economy entre' and as such
precludes the use of veal at my house. Veal in any form is too
pricey around here for me to include it in meatloaf.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Old 03-11-2009, 06:49 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Nov-2009, "Nunya Bidnits"
wrote:

Brick said:
On 31-Oct-2009, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Nunya Bidnits" wrote in
message

When you deep fry yams, do you double cook them like french fries, a
partial
cook till they are limp, pull and rest, then finish in hotter oil?

Not necessary for premade frozen fries, of course, those have
already been
partially cooked, but I wondered if the technique works for sweet
potato
fries too.

MartyB

Yes but! The double fry technique is used to get rid of the excess
moisture in the potatoes that drags the oil temperature down. By
prefrying you get rid of much of the water leaving a potato that
is ready to be fried in hot oil. When re-introduced to the fryer
the temperature doesn't drop radically, thus allowing your food
to fry properly. Sweet potatoes don't contain nearly so much
water to begin with, so the benefit is less apparent. I'll still
double fry, but use shorter timing for sweet potatoes.

You of course are encouraged to do as you please. (YMMV)

That being the case I'll probably just try single frying them using the
tempura/panko coating I referred to earlier. Yams are on sale this week
for
50 cents a pound so if the spearmint goes all Frankenstein, at least it
won't cost much. I'll report back on the results.

MartyB in KC

You'll do okay Marty. You know what to look for and have some idea
why potatoes act the way they do. A small trial batch will likely tell you
everything you need to know to get what you want with the rest.

**I just did a batch of store bought frozen fries tonight. They had a lot
of ice crystals on them, so I gave them a short prefry to get rid of the
water before finallizing them at 375F. They were good as usual. Just
knowing about the little variables is a big help.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Old 03-11-2009, 02:19 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

i wasn't clear either, i meant different in a big way in the recipe...
everything in the nuker is different to me but usually not worse just
different, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Brick" wrote in message
ter.com...

Old 03-11-2009, 09:14 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3-Nov-2009, "Nunya Bidnits"
wrote:

Brick said:

**I just did a batch of store bought frozen fries tonight. They had a
lot of ice crystals on them, so I gave them a short prefry to get rid
of the water before finallizing them at 375F. They were good as
usual. Just knowing about the little variables is a big help.

That raises a good point. If you don't use an entire package of
storebought
frozen fries then unless you vac bag them, the remainder will always take
on
a lot of extra ice crystals in the fridge. They never seem to fry as well
after that but I always attributed it to freezer burn. I think you hit on
the real reason they don't fry up so well.

I wish I could get my fryer to do a full 375F. (Waring Pro) The temp
control
maxes at 375 but testing it with a thermopen shows it really can't hold
temps higher than 360-365. However most of my cooking is at lower temps
so I
didn't bother to take it back and complain.

MartyB in KC

Pretend that you didn't read this. I took my Krupps deep fryer apart
and readjusted the themostat. It has a little bitty adjustment screw
that was sealed with a dab of plastic. I fiddled with it until I get it to
holding pretty well about 375F. I mostly only run it that high for
potatoes,
but they really like that higher heat. I used a big Taylor bulb type
thermometer as my reference. It works pretty good now.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)