FoodBanter.com

-   -   weight loss pork, beef (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/178413-weight-loss-pork-beef.html)

Nonny 29-10-2009 06:14 PM

weight loss pork, beef

I recall this being discussed before, but don't remember the
ratios.

When smoking a 10# butt, for instance, what would you expect the
finished, bone OUT, pulled pork to weigh?

How does that compare to a brisket, for instance, in your
experience?

--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
in your wallet were ever in a stripper's butt crack?
Have a nice day ..

Pierre[_1_] 29-10-2009 11:53 PM

weight loss pork, beef

On Oct 29, 1:14*pm, "Nonny" > wrote:
> I recall this being discussed before, but don't remember the
> ratios.
>
> When smoking a 10# butt, for instance, what *would you expect the
> finished, bone OUT, pulled pork to weigh?
>
> How does that compare to a brisket, for instance, in your
> experience?
>
> --
> Nonny

30-40% loss on both items would be typical.
I take it you're feeding a crowd. Figure 1/3 pound meat per person if
sides will be served; breads, beans, slaw, salad, spud, veggies and
tofu. Unless, the crowd is a bunch of teenagers; in which case all
bets are off.
Do report back.
Pierre

Tutall 30-10-2009 04:54 PM

weight loss pork, beef

On Oct 29, 4:53*pm, Pierre > wrote:

> 30-40% loss on both items would be typical.

That seems on the high side for brisket which doesn't have the inner
fat and water volume pork does. Do others concur with this percentage
of loss for a packer cut brisket?>

[email protected][_2_] 31-10-2009 07:31 AM

weight loss pork, beef

On Oct 30, 10:54*am, Tutall > wrote:
> On Oct 29, 4:53*pm, Pierre > wrote:
>
> > 30-40% loss on both items would be typical.

> That seems on the high side for brisket which doesn't have the inner
> fat and water volume pork does. Do others concur with this percentage
> of loss for a packer cut brisket?>

The 30 - 40% concurs with my experiences on brisket. Whether it is
the pieces I pick out, or the way I cook it, usually my finished
brisket hits about the 25% less than starting weight mark.

However, I trim down to about 1/4" fat all the way around, and cut off
all the hard stuff before I apply rub or smoke. So I might be cutting
off a half pound or so of fat or more on a 15# brisket before it ever
sees the pit.

That would raise it back up to about +/- 30% if I was actually
calculating from the original package weight.

Of course, each piece of meat is different, but that seems the norm
for me.

Robert