Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Standing Rib Roast Poll

I'm going to smoke a 3 rib standing rib roast in my Weber Smokey
Mountain this afternoon and wonder what you think about the following.
As we know, USDA Prime Standing Rib Roasts are pretty expensive. I'd
appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

1. Do you smoke over water, at 250F OR
2 Do you roast with dry water pan at 325-350F
3 How do you season, other than salt and pepper
4 Do you slather the cut ends with any oil, or bacon fat?
5 Do you smoke fat side up from start to finish or do you turn it
over?
6 Do you sear the cut ends, either at the start or at the finish?
7 At what temp do you pull it off the smoker?
8 How long do you rest it?
9 What do you do with the drippings? Make Yorkshire pudding, or
what else?
10 What kind of and how much wood do you use? Do you use any wood?

Thanks in Advance,

Hugh
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 12:23:17 -0700 (PDT), hugh >
wrote:

>I'm going to smoke a 3 rib standing rib roast in my Weber Smokey
>Mountain this afternoon and wonder what you think about the following.
>As we know, USDA Prime Standing Rib Roasts are pretty expensive. I'd
>appreciate your thoughts and experiences.
>
>1. Do you smoke over water, at 250F OR
>2 Do you roast with dry water pan at 325-350F
>3 How do you season, other than salt and pepper
>4 Do you slather the cut ends with any oil, or bacon fat?
>5 Do you smoke fat side up from start to finish or do you turn it
>over?
>6 Do you sear the cut ends, either at the start or at the finish?
>7 At what temp do you pull it off the smoker?
>8 How long do you rest it?
>9 What do you do with the drippings? Make Yorkshire pudding, or
>what else?
>10 What kind of and how much wood do you use? Do you use any wood?
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>
>Hugh

While I'm no expert on smoking, I do make some mighty fine pork
shoulder and ribs, chicken, duck, turkey, etc.
I also love prime rib done low and slow but, not in my smoker.
Since I found Tanith Tyrr's method many years ago, I've never done a
prime rib any other way.
If not for this time, take a look at
http://baygourmet.tripod.com/primerib.html
and try her method for your next prime rib.

Ross.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

hugh wrote:
> I'm going to smoke a 3 rib standing rib roast in my Weber Smokey
> Mountain this afternoon and wonder what you think about the following.
> As we know, USDA Prime Standing Rib Roasts are pretty expensive. I'd
> appreciate your thoughts and experiences.
>
> 1. Do you smoke over water, at 250F OR
> 2 Do you roast with dry water pan at 325-350F
> 3 How do you season, other than salt and pepper
> 4 Do you slather the cut ends with any oil, or bacon fat?
> 5 Do you smoke fat side up from start to finish or do you turn it
> over?
> 6 Do you sear the cut ends, either at the start or at the finish?
> 7 At what temp do you pull it off the smoker?
> 8 How long do you rest it?
> 9 What do you do with the drippings? Make Yorkshire pudding, or
> what else?
> 10 What kind of and how much wood do you use? Do you use any wood?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Hugh

On the wsm, I cook it at 250 F, very light smoke. No water, sand in
the pan. Sometimes I throw in some rosemary in with the wood to get
some additional flavor into the smoke. Quality, definitely not quantity,
is key. Keep it light.

There are two ways I finish, depending.

1. Pull it at 120 F internal, rest at least 15 mins. More is fine.
2. Pull it at 110 F, finish under the broiler to get a crust (can also
do oven at 500 F), rest

Fat side up/down doesn't matter much. No need to turn it.

Again, my opinion here, if you're using smoke the drippings
don't taste right and I chuck them. Otherwise I use it for yorkshire
pudding or cook potatoes with it.

If you use a rub, leave out sugar of any kind. I usually just go with s&p
and maybe a little garlic. Good beef tastes good on it's own.

--
Reg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>>1. Do you smoke over water, at 250F OR
>>2 Do you roast with dry water pan at 325-350F

I like the gradation of done outside with bark and a very pink to red inside
so high heat for me.

>>3 How do you season, other than salt and pepper

Garlic powder too

>>4 Do you slather the cut ends with any oil, or bacon fat?

No

>>5 Do you smoke fat side up from start to finish or do you turn it
>>over?

No turning

>>6 Do you sear the cut ends, either at the start or at the finish?

No

>>7 At what temp do you pull it off the smoker?
>>8 How long do you rest it?

120 and rest for 20 minutes or so. If you cook at lower temps, pull at 130.

>>9 What do you do with the drippings? Make Yorkshire pudding, or
>>what else?

Gravy or a reduction.

>>10 What kind of and how much wood do you use? Do you use any wood?

I usually have a bucket or three of mixed oak, maple, cherry, apple.

--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"hugh" > wrote in message
> I'm going to smoke a 3 rib standing rib roast in my Weber Smokey
> Mountain this afternoon and wonder what you think about the
> following.
> As we know, USDA Prime Standing Rib Roasts are pretty expensive.
> I'd
> appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

Hugh, I don't have a coals/charcoal cooker anymore. I use gas,
but I also have a dedicated smoker. For the holidays, we always
do a 3 or 4-rib roast. FWIW, we actually prefer no wood smoke for
it, but just the vaporized drippings. Ours is done on a
rotisserie with a COMBINATION of the IR back burner for just that
purpose and 1-2 low offset burners for more heat. We like the
outside done and the inside about 100f, so that takes a tad more
heat to accomplish. The rub is kosher salt, medium cracked black
pepper, granulated garlic and occasionally a little thyme.

--
Nonny

Live a good and honorable life.
Then when you get older and
think back, you'll enjoy it
a second time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 24, 1:33*pm, RegForte > wrote:

> On the wsm, I cook it at 250 F, very light smoke.

Yes, this cut of beef soaks up smoke like a sponge, easy to get too
much smoke with roasts.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 13:33:03 -0700, RegForte wrote:
>
>> 1. Pull it at 120 F internal, rest at least 15 mins. More is fine.

> The last few rib roasts I've pulled at 125 and they're just still
> way too rare. I love rare beef, as evidenced by my ABF pics, so
> maybe my therm is off or something. Maybe my 130F suggestion was
> too high.
>
> -sw

If you cook at low temperatures, the rise after is minimal. Cooking at
higher temps gives a rise of at least 10 degrees more because of the
residual heat in the outer ring of meat. . I can easily pull at 120, but I
cook at 400 or so in the oven, 350 on the grill or smoker.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 13:33:03 -0700, RegForte wrote:
>

>>1. Pull it at 120 F internal, rest at least 15 mins. More is fine.

> The last few rib roasts I've pulled at 125 and they're just still
> way too rare. I love rare beef, as evidenced by my ABF pics, so
> maybe my therm is off or something. Maybe my 130F suggestion was
> too high.

I know of what you speak. The situation involves a certain anomaly
factor.

Most of my rib roasts are best pulled at 120 F, which then settle
in nicely around 128-130 F. But, every now and then, like every 10
cooks or so, I get a cut that absolutely needs to be cooked higher,
closer to 130 F if not exactly so.

This happens even with cuts from the same lot from the same supplier
cooked side by side.

I've always hoped some food chemist type would wander in to afb
and explain exactly why this happens.

Alton, you out there?

--
Reg