Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Blackening spice or seasoning

What is the stuff made of? I've had blackened seafood and prime
rib often, but don't do it here at the house. What causes the
charring besides a very hot pan or griddle? I tried Google and
came up with nothing.

--
Nonny

Live a good and honorable life.
Then when you get older and
think back, you'll enjoy it
a second time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:47:48 -0700, "Nonny" > wrote:

>What is the stuff made of? I've had blackened seafood and prime
>rib often, but don't do it here at the house. What causes the
>charring besides a very hot pan or griddle? I tried Google and
>came up with nothing.

Go to:

http://www.ci-no.com/print/blackenedprimerib.html

http://www.cajuncrawfishpie.com/blac...h-recipes.html

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/chickenco...ed-chicken.htm

All Googled

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 19, 4:07*pm, Gene > wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:47:48 -0700, "Nonny" > wrote:
> >What is the stuff made of? *I've had blackened seafood and prime
> >rib often, but don't do it here at the house. *What causes the
> >charring besides a very hot pan or griddle? *I tried Google and
> >came up with nothing.

> Go to:
>
> http://www.ci-no.com/print/blackenedprimerib.html
>
> http://www.cajuncrawfishpie.com/blac...h-recipes.html
>
> http://www.thatsmyhome.com/chickenco...ed-chicken.htm
>
> All Googled
>
> Gene

Gene, most of those look pretty familiar. I've had good success with
the usual formulas.
Brings to mind an unconfirmed account of how Prudhomme came up with
it.
Prudhomme was working in a restaurant, and something ****ed him off.
Royally.
So, he went into the kitchen, found a cast iron pan and heated it on
full throttle for about 15 minutes.
He took a piece of meat or fish, and still all ****ed off;
unceremoniously dumped everything in the pantry onto this piece of
meat. Paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, herbs etc. Then he
ladled it with butter, and heaved it all onto the now extremely hot
iron pan.
The rest, is history.
True or not, I can't conceive of anyone planning on the method to this
madness, and a subsequenty delightful outcome.
Pierre
BTW, if you blacken in the house, do it only if you've got a great
exhaust system. You don't what to have to open every window in the
house to let smoke out, especially if it's in Minnesota in the middle
of January; like some people. <caugh>. (Yeah it was me, I confess. I
didn't believe the recipe could do that. . .)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:47:48 -0700, "Nonny" >
> wrote:
>
>>What is the stuff made of? I've had blackened seafood and prime
>>rib often, but don't do it here at the house. What causes the
>>charring besides a very hot pan or griddle? I tried Google and
>>came up with nothing.

> Go to:
>
> http://www.ci-no.com/print/blackenedprimerib.html
>
> http://www.cajuncrawfishpie.com/blac...h-recipes.html
>
> http://www.thatsmyhome.com/chickenco...ed-chicken.htm
>
> All Googled

Arrrrruuuuuggggghhhhhh. Maybe my Googler was busted or bent?
Thanks for the information. It appears to me that it's just a
basic spicy rub and the overheated pan or griddle is the key
element. FWIW, I was curious enough over lunchtime to visit a
grocery store and look at the list of ingredients for the two
blackening spice mixes they had on the shelf. BOTH listed sugar
as an ingredient. I wonder if that's a compromise between some
person burning up a frying pan and getting something that's at
least black. I can't see burned sugar as a substitute, though.

Many thanks for the research and reply.
--
Nonny

Live a good and honorable life.
Then when you get older and
think back, you'll enjoy it
a second time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonny" > wrote in message
> What is the stuff made of? I've had blackened seafood and prime rib
> often, but don't do it here at the house. What causes the charring
> besides a very hot pan or griddle? I tried Google and came up with
> nothing.
>
> --
> Nonny

Not sure what you mean by "black". If it's cajun black it's made with a
black roux, conjured up by Paul Prudomme. Blacked Redfish is sort of his
signature dish I believe. Look at this article:
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/04/01/ga...pagewanted=all

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:

> "Nonny" > wrote in message
>
>>What is the stuff made of? I've had blackened seafood and prime rib
>>often, but don't do it here at the house. What causes the charring
>>besides a very hot pan or griddle? I tried Google and came up with
>>nothing.
>>

> Not sure what you mean by "black". If it's cajun black it's made with a
> black roux, conjured up by Paul Prudomme. Blacked Redfish is sort of his
> signature dish I believe. Look at this article:
> http://www.nytimes.com/1987/04/01/ga...pagewanted=all

Not sure?

I don't see any ambiguity here. The only time I've ever seen the term used is
when referring to the rub-with-spice-and-create-smoke-clouds technique.

When has the term "blackened" specifically signified a dish that contains black
roux? Can you show an example?

It sure isn't in that article, which doesn't even have a blackened redfish
recipe in it (amd it's blackened, not "blacked").

And no, blackened redfish does NOT contain black roux. Why? Cause it's
not a darned stew.

Jesus.

--
Reg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 19:38:17 -0700, RegForte > wrote:

>Theron wrote:
>
>> "Nonny" > wrote in message
>>
>>>What is the stuff made of? I've had blackened seafood and prime rib
>>>often, but don't do it here at the house. What causes the charring
>>>besides a very hot pan or griddle? I tried Google and came up with
>>>nothing.
>>>

>> Not sure what you mean by "black". If it's cajun black it's made with a
>> black roux, conjured up by Paul Prudomme. Blacked Redfish is sort of his
>> signature dish I believe. Look at this article:
>> http://www.nytimes.com/1987/04/01/ga...pagewanted=all
>>

>Not sure?
>
>I don't see any ambiguity here. The only time I've ever seen the term used is
>when referring to the rub-with-spice-and-create-smoke-clouds technique.
>
>When has the term "blackened" specifically signified a dish that contains black
>roux? Can you show an example?
>
>It sure isn't in that article, which doesn't even have a blackened redfish
>recipe in it (amd it's blackened, not "blacked").
>
>And no, blackened redfish does NOT contain black roux. Why? Cause it's
>not a darned stew.
>
>Jesus.

That's why I didn't respond. I'm not taking the bait anymore.

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

"Pierre" > wrote in message news:47c22fc3-0b0c-43b4-bb86-
>BTW, if you blacken in the house, do it only if you've got a great
>exhaust system. You don't what to have to open every window in the
>house to let smoke out, especially if it's in Minnesota in the middle
>of January; like some people. <caugh>. (Yeah it was me, I confess. I
>didn't believe the recipe could do that. . .)

Gas grill-side burner

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gene wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 19:38:17 -0700, RegForte > wrote:
>
>>Theron wrote:
>>

>>>Not sure what you mean by "black". If it's cajun black it's made with a
>>>black roux, conjured up by Paul Prudomme. Blacked Redfish is sort of his
>>>signature dish I believe. Look at this article:
>>>http://www.nytimes.com/1987/04/01/ga...pagewanted=all
>>>

>>Not sure?
>>
>>I don't see any ambiguity here. The only time I've ever seen the term used is
>>when referring to the rub-with-spice-and-create-smoke-clouds technique.
>>
>>When has the term "blackened" specifically signified a dish that contains black
>>roux? Can you show an example?
>>
>>It sure isn't in that article, which doesn't even have a blackened redfish
>>recipe in it (amd it's blackened, not "blacked").
>>
>>And no, blackened redfish does NOT contain black roux. Why? Cause it's
>>not a darned stew.
>>
>>Jesus.

> That's why I didn't respond. I'm not taking the bait anymore.

As the last holdout on this issue, I'm going to have to finally concede. I hereby
cast my towel into the ring.

> "If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take,
> their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live
> under tyranny"
> Thomas Jefferson

Both profound and timely

--
Reg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tom" > wrote in message

> "Pierre" > wrote in message
>>BTW, if you blacken in the house, do it only if you've got a
>>great
>>exhaust system. You don't what to have to open every window in
>>the
>>house to let smoke out, especially if it's in Minnesota in the
>>middle
>>of January; like some people. <caugh>. (Yeah it was me, I
>>confess. I
>>didn't believe the recipe could do that. . .)

> Gas grill-side burner

My first gas grill had no side burner- long, long ago. To pan fry
things, like fish, I learned to cover the grates with aluminum
foil, with a hole in it slightly larger than the frying pan.
Later, this became a sheet of aluminum flashing with a similar
hole. It worked swell.

--
Nonny

Live a good and honorable life.
Then when you get older and
think back, you'll enjoy it
a second time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 19:00:19 -0500, Theron > wrote:

> "Nonny" > wrote in message
>> What is the stuff made of? I've had blackened seafood and prime rib
>> often, but don't do it here at the house. What causes the charring
>> besides a very hot pan or griddle? I tried Google and came up with
>> nothing.
>>
>> --
>> Nonny
>>

> Not sure what you mean by "black". If it's cajun black it's made with a
> black roux, conjured up by Paul Prudomme. Blacked Redfish is sort of his
> signature dish I believe. Look at this article:
> http://www.nytimes.com/1987/04/01/ga...pagewanted=all
>
> Ed

This is just confusing and smell like a troll. "Plonk"

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...
> Pierre said:
>
>> BTW, if you blacken in the house, do it only if you've got a
>> great
>> exhaust system. You don't what to have to open every window in
>> the
>> house to let smoke out, especially if it's in Minnesota in the
>> middle
>> of January; like some people. <caugh>. (Yeah it was me, I
>> confess. I
>> didn't believe the recipe could do that. . .)

> What he said, and if there's a lot of heat in those spices,
> breathing that
> smoke will be a very unpleasant experience. That, and coping
> with screaming
> smoke detectors while trying not to overcook the fish... ;-)
>
> MartyB

Many folk might also consider doing blackening in a Teflon lined
skillet. IIRC, there's a limit to what the coating can take.
Feel free to correct me on that, but I think you can ruin a Teflon
lined skillet with high temps.

--
Nonny

Live a good and honorable life.
Then when you get older and
think back, you'll enjoy it
a second time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:38:07 -0700, "Nonny" > wrote:

>"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
>message ...
>> Pierre said:
>>
>>> BTW, if you blacken in the house, do it only if you've got a
>>> great
>>> exhaust system. You don't what to have to open every window in
>>> the
>>> house to let smoke out, especially if it's in Minnesota in the
>>> middle
>>> of January; like some people. <caugh>. (Yeah it was me, I
>>> confess. I
>>> didn't believe the recipe could do that. . .)

>> What he said, and if there's a lot of heat in those spices,
>> breathing that
>> smoke will be a very unpleasant experience. That, and coping
>> with screaming
>> smoke detectors while trying not to overcook the fish... ;-)
>>
>> MartyB
>>

>Many folk might also consider doing blackening in a Teflon lined
>skillet. IIRC, there's a limit to what the coating can take.
>Feel free to correct me on that, but I think you can ruin a Teflon
>lined skillet with high temps.

And it can be VERY toxic. Over heating will kill any bird you have in
your home.

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:

> Not sure what you mean by "black". If it's cajun black it's made with a
> black roux, conjured up by Paul Prudomme. Blacked Redfish is sort of his
> signature dish I believe. Look at this article:
> http://www.nytimes.com/1987/04/01/ga...pagewanted=all

Have you lost your mind, Kent? Or are going the away of Kevin Wilson by
diseminationg as much bullshit information as you can?

So really, do you know you're full of shit or are you oblivious to it?

=-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Nonny" > wrote in message
>> What is the stuff made of? I've had blackened seafood and prime rib
>> often, but don't do it here at the house. What causes the charring
>> besides a very hot pan or griddle? I tried Google and came up with
>> nothing.
>>
>> --
>> Nonny
>>

> Not sure what you mean by "black". If it's cajun black it's made with a
> black roux, conjured up by Paul Prudomme. Blacked Redfish is sort of his
> signature dish I believe. Look at this article:
> http://www.nytimes.com/1987/04/01/ga...pagewanted=all
>
> Ed

I screwed up. I pulled out Paul Prudhomme's cookbook after I posted.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:28:12 -0700, Theron wrote:
>
>> I screwed up. I pulled out Paul Prudhomme's cookbook after I posted.

> That was 19 hours ago yet you waited to post.
>
> That makes you a troll.
>
> -sw

To point out an error 19 hours following its posting is unfortunate. It's
can't under any circumstances be considered a troll. Your comment above is
an unquestionable troll. This comment is a troll. Don't bother to answer.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:24:09 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> OK, I've had enough. Who wants to join me in a big round of <plonk>?
> I'm buying the first 3 rounds.

I already plonked, but I'm in on another round.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 21, 10:36*am, ceed > wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:24:09 -0500, Sqwertz > *
> wrote:
>
> > OK, I've had enough. Who wants to join me in a big round of <plonk>?
> > I'm buying the first 3 rounds.

> I already plonked, but I'm in on another round.
>
> --
> //ceed

Am thinking he's plonked his own damn self, it's pretty obvious he
doesn't read what he writes.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tutall wrote:
> On Oct 21, 10:36 am, ceed > wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:24:09 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> OK, I've had enough. Who wants to join me in a big round of <plonk>?
>>> I'm buying the first 3 rounds.

>> I already plonked, but I'm in on another round.
>>
>> --
>> //ceed

> Am thinking he's plonked his own damn self, it's pretty obvious he
> doesn't read what he writes.

Kent will never figger out that those who have been around are no longer
responding to him. I won't officially 'plonk' him....I reserve the right to
entertain myself at his expense when I need to blow off some steam :-)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:48:25 -0700, Theron wrote:
>
>> To point out an error 19 hours following its posting is unfortunate.
>> It's can't under any circumstances be considered a troll. Your
>> comment above is an unquestionable troll. This comment is a troll.
>> Don't bother to answer.

> OK, I've had enough. Who wants to join me in a big round of <plonk>?
> I'm buying the first 3 rounds.

Do semi-plonks count?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:48:25 -0700, Theron wrote:
>
>> To point out an error 19 hours following its posting is unfortunate. It's
>> can't under any circumstances be considered a troll. Your comment above is
>> an unquestionable troll. This comment is a troll. Don't bother to answer.

> OK, I've had enough. Who wants to join me in a big round of <plonk>?
> I'm buying the first 3 rounds.
>
> -sw

Thanks, but I've already got him in the bit-bucket and only see his
nonsense when someone replies.

However, I never refuse a drink

MargW
lurking and learning
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21-Oct-2009, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Tutall wrote:
> > On Oct 21, 10:36 am, ceed > wrote:

> >> I already plonked, but I'm in on another round.
> >>
> >> --
> >> //ceed

> > Am thinking he's plonked his own damn self, it's pretty obvious he
> > doesn't read what he writes.

> Kent will never figger out that those who have been around are no longer
> responding to him. I won't officially 'plonk' him....I reserve the right
> entertain myself at his expense when I need to blow off some steam :-)

The problem with that Dave is that you're cluttering up the group with crap
that no one else wants to see. Frankly, that puts you in the same category
as Kent.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:15:48 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> Kent will never figger out that those who have been around are no
>> longer responding to him. I won't officially 'plonk' him....I
>> reserve the right to entertain myself at his expense when I need to
>> blow off some steam :-)

> That's how I felt a few times with a person or two in a group or two
> (John Avignone and Jerry Sauk), but then I realized my own sanity
> was suffering. I just try and laugh off when I see either. I'm in
> the Usenet 12-step program now.

My name is Dave, and I'm a troll taunter.

Blackening NT Preserving 2 17-04-2012 11:28 PM
Which cajun spice seasoning do you prefer... saltajmundo General Cooking 13 26-04-2008 04:42 PM
what is "5 spice" seasoning? Or recipe for Chinese BBQ pork? [email protected] General Cooking 45 18-04-2006 12:07 AM
Emeril Lagasse's Baby Bam Spice Seasoning Mix Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 07-12-2004 01:57 PM
Emeril's Southwest Seasoning (southwest Spice 7Hawks Recipes 0 09-11-2004 02:00 AM