Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default BBQ-whale.

Hi,

I am a Norwegian living in Texas, USA. I often go back to Norway, and one
of the foods I get there is whale. I know some people might scream and
kick and call me names, but I do not want to get into a detailed debate
about whaling. However, I can assure you this is not from the endangered
large whales we all know and think of when whaling comes up.

What I want to tell you guys about is how I took what I have learned here
in Texas about barbecue and did whale using indirect heat and smoke doing
whale. This is a method totally unknown over there. My friends and family
thought I had gone totally bonkers when I told them I would be cooking the
meat for hours on low heat using coals and wood chips. The result was
phenomenal, so now I am sending cheap Brinkmann bullet smokers over there
enabling them to do the whale-que themselves. What I wanted to ask is what
kind of wood chips I could try. I did hickory, but it was a bit strong for
the unique flavor whale has. The wood I have heard of being used for
seafood is alder, but they do not have that over there. What they do have
a lot of is birch and some oak, but not the same oak as we have here in
Texas. Could someone here suggest woods I could possibly try which would
go well with meat and seafood as one?

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>acacia
>alder
>almond
>apple
>apricot
>ash
>bay
>beech
>birch
>butternut
> cherry
>chestnut
>cottonwood
>crabapple
>fig
>grapefruit
>grapevine
>guava
>hackberry
>hickory
> kiawe
>lemon
>lilac
>madrone
>manzanita
>maple
>mesquite
>mulberry
>nectarine
>oak
> olive
>orange
>peach
>pear
>pecan
>persimmon
>pimento
>plum
>walnut
>willow
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:28:00 -0500, ceed > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am a Norwegian living in Texas, USA. I often go back to Norway, and one
>of the foods I get there is whale. I know some people might scream and
>kick and call me names, but I do not want to get into a detailed debate
>about whaling. However, I can assure you this is not from the endangered
>large whales we all know and think of when whaling comes up.
>
>What I want to tell you guys about is how I took what I have learned here
>in Texas about barbecue and did whale using indirect heat and smoke doing
>whale. This is a method totally unknown over there. My friends and family
>thought I had gone totally bonkers when I told them I would be cooking the
>meat for hours on low heat using coals and wood chips. The result was
>phenomenal, so now I am sending cheap Brinkmann bullet smokers over there
>enabling them to do the whale-que themselves. What I wanted to ask is what
>kind of wood chips I could try. I did hickory, but it was a bit strong for
>the unique flavor whale has. The wood I have heard of being used for
>seafood is alder, but they do not have that over there. What they do have
>a lot of is birch and some oak, but not the same oak as we have here in
>Texas. Could someone here suggest woods I could possibly try which would
>go well with meat and seafood as one?

If it ain't people it was put here to eat. IMHO that is.

Woods you can use:

acacia
alder
almond
apple
apricot
ash
bay
beech
birch
butternut
cerry
chestnut
cottonwood
crabapple
fig
grapefruit
grapevine
guava
hackberry
hickory
kiawe
lemon
lilac
madrone
manzanita
maple
mesquite
mulberry
nectarine
oak
olive
orange
peach
pear
pecan
persimmon
pimento
plum
walnut
willow

From: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html

Go check it out!

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:53:50 -0500, Nunya Bidnits
> wrote:

> So either those are really small whales or the world's biggest
> Brinkmann's...

LOL! They are small whale, but a small whale is still the size of a cow.
There are cuts just as it is for beef, so you do not have to fit the whole
whale!

> Seriously, I don't know what grows over there but most fruitwoods are
> good
> for fish.

Thanks! Lot's of apple and plum over there. I will suggest that.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:34:48 -0500, Gene > wrote:

> If it ain't people it was put here to eat. IMHO that is.

Thank you for the wood selections I had no idea you could use all of
those! And no, whales are not people..

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 18, 1:28*pm, ceed > wrote:
> What I want to tell you guys about is how I took what I have learned here *
> in Texas about barbecue and did whale using indirect heat and smoke doing *
> whale. This is a method totally unknown over there. My friends and family *
> thought I had gone totally bonkers when I told them

Whodathunkit: Whale, Texas style.
But it took Norwegians to do it, you Texians, y'all a buncha wimps
for not doing whale, the biggest mammal on earth, first. Damn
dissapointed in you Texas.

lmao, this is good, thanks ceed.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Whodathunkit: Whale, Texas style.
> But it took Norwegians to do it, you Texians, y'all a buncha wimps
> for not doing whale, the biggest mammal on earth, first.

"A fourth-grader delivered the killing blow to a 32-foot bowhead whale in Barrow"

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ap_al...ry/970664.html

--
In America, any boy may become president and I suppose that's just one
of the risks he takes.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 17:34:07 -0500, Sioux C. Queue > wrote:

> "A fourth-grader delivered the killing blow to a 32-foot bowhead whale
> in Barrow"
> http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ap_al...ry/970664.html

That's too young to be killing any animal in my opinion. No wonder it made
the news. But I do not understand what it has to do with eating whale or
any meat for that matter.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:

> That's too young to be killing any animal in my opinion. No wonder it
> made the news. But I do not understand what it has to do with eating
> whale or any meat for that matter.

Cultural thing. It will be eaten, that's why it's hunted.

--
One learns to itch where one can scratch.
-- Ernest Bramah
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 19:26:01 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> I thought smoked whale was very common in Norway. What kind of wood
> do they use?
> How long did you smoke it?

Smoked salmon and haddock is common, not smoked whale. Honestly I do not
know what wood is used since it's mostly purchased smoked withiout any
indication of wood used. Whale is normally fried in a pan, or even
broiled in the oven. There's a Norwegian web site dedicated to cooking
with whale which is quite popular. I smoked it for about 3 hours. Whale is
lean meat, so it could not take much more without goin dry. Since I didn't
have anything written to go by I had to take it out and try it a couple
of times. I do not know what part of whale it was from, but it was kinda
similar to thick rib eye steaks.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sioux C. Queue wrote:
> ceed wrote:
>
>> That's too young to be killing any animal in my opinion. No wonder it
>> made the news. But I do not understand what it has to do with eating
>> whale or any meat for that matter.
>>

> Cultural thing. It will be eaten, that's why it's hunted.

4th grade too young? Heck, I was hunting at that age.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:29:08 -0500, DougW
> wrote:

> 4th grade too young? Heck, I was hunting at that age.

Oh well, you're still here so it can't bad then!

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

this is probably also culteral. my father insisted that all the children in
his care, except for me, took the firearms classes before they were ten and
he insisted they knew how to shoot three different weapons. after that he
never made them hunt animals but wanted the basics there in case they ever
wanted/had to do it. i got expempted because my sight wasn't good even then
and the docs. had warned him that i couldn't take head jarring things. i
regret that. i can however handle a pistol and a bow and arrow, who knows
what if anything i would hit, Lee

--
Have a great day
"DougW" > wrote in message
> Sioux C. Queue wrote:
>> ceed wrote:
>>
>>> That's too young to be killing any animal in my opinion. No wonder it
>>> made the news. But I do not understand what it has to do with eating
>>> whale or any meat for that matter.
>>>

>> Cultural thing. It will be eaten, that's why it's hunted.

> 4th grade too young? Heck, I was hunting at that age.
>
> --
> DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:58:19 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> I was lead to believe that, proportionally, more whale is smoked in
> Norway than salmon is here in the US. Lots of pictures of it on the
> web, some of them look like whole pastramis. Now I want some...
> I suspect that like BBQ, it's probably more popular in some areas
> than others. My [former] boss lived just outside of Oslo for 35
> years.

I lived in Norway until 12 years ago. I never had smoked whale and I lived
in Oslo. I did have a lot of smoked salmon and haddock. I will have to
check with the folks over there if smoked whale has become popular since I
left!

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 21:34:41 -0500, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

> Thread-drift. The word "whale" is in the subject line. It has nothing to
> do
> with eating any meat. Neither does your "That's too young to be killing
> any
> animal in my opinion." For me to continue this thread-drift: I started
> shooting rats and helping my Grandmother slaughter chickens when I was
> around seven.

I tried to figure out why the news story about the fourth grader shooting
a whale was posted and couldn't really figure it out.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed > wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 17:34:07 -0500, Sioux C. Queue > wrote:
>
> > "A fourth-grader delivered the killing blow to a 32-foot bowhead whale
> > in Barrow"
> > http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ap_al...ry/970664.html

> That's too young to be killing any animal in my opinion. No wonder it
> made the news. But I do not understand what it has to do with eating
> whale or any meat for that matter.

Thread-drift. The word "whale" is in the subject line. It has nothing to do
with eating any meat. Neither does your "That's too young to be killing any
animal in my opinion." For me to continue this thread-drift: I started
shooting rats and helping my Grandmother slaughter chickens when I was
around seven.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19 Oct 2009 02:34:41 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>ceed > wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 17:34:07 -0500, Sioux C. Queue > wrote:
>>
>> > "A fourth-grader delivered the killing blow to a 32-foot bowhead whale
>> > in Barrow"
>> > http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ap_al...ry/970664.html

>> That's too young to be killing any animal in my opinion. No wonder it
>> made the news. But I do not understand what it has to do with eating
>> whale or any meat for that matter.

>Thread-drift. The word "whale" is in the subject line. It has nothing to do
>with eating any meat. Neither does your "That's too young to be killing any
>animal in my opinion." For me to continue this thread-drift: I started
>shooting rats and helping my Grandmother slaughter chickens when I was
>around seven.

I hate to correct you bro, it is not a drift.

It is a full blown avalanche!

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:

> I tried to figure out why the news story about the fourth grader
> shooting a whale was posted and couldn't really figure it out.

Backhanded slap, I meant it to be humorous, at the folks in the second largest
state and the shortage of muktuk there.

It was reported mostly because the kid was so young. While he did "shoot" it
the article reads "Paul was given a darting gun with a handle carved from a
Fairbanks birch tree. It was about eight feet long and weighed 30 pounds when
loaded, Pebley said. Paul, 9, weighs about 75 pounds."

--
If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 22:03:01 -0500, Sioux C. Queue > wrote:

> ceed wrote:
>
>> I tried to figure out why the news story about the fourth grader
>> shooting a whale was posted and couldn't really figure it out.

> Backhanded slap, I meant it to be humorous, at the folks in the second
> largest
> state and the shortage of muktuk there.
>
> It was reported mostly because the kid was so young. While he did
> "shoot" it
> the article reads "Paul was given a darting gun with a handle carved
> from a
> Fairbanks birch tree. It was about eight feet long and weighed 30 pounds
> when
> loaded, Pebley said. Paul, 9, weighs about 75 pounds."

Makes sense now! Well, got a suggested million different kinds of wood
to try, so they'll be busy over there testing whale and wood.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Oct-2009, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> ceed > wrote:

.. . .

> Thread-drift. The word "whale" is in the subject line. It has nothing to
> do
> with eating any meat. Neither does your "That's too young to be killing
> any
> animal in my opinion." For me to continue this thread-drift: I started
> shooting rats and helping my Grandmother slaughter chickens when I was
> around seven.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV.

That was about the age I was when I spent summers with my Great Aunt
Blanch in LaPaz, Indiana. I helped her butcher chickens, ducks, Guinea
fowl and turkeys for market. Not much later, I got my Red Ryder BB
gun followed by a Benjamin Air pistol a single shot Remington rifle and
finally a semi-automatic Mossberg .22 before I was 12. I had firearms
training with the YMCA at about ten.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Sioux C. Queue wrote:
>> ceed wrote:
>>
>>> That's too young to be killing any animal in my opinion. No wonder it
>>> made the news. But I do not understand what it has to do with eating
>>> whale or any meat for that matter.
>>>

>> Cultural thing. It will be eaten, that's why it's hunted.

> 4th grade too young? Heck, I was hunting at that age.
>
> --
> DougW

Me too. Was allowed to hunt by myowndamnself when I was 9.
Big Jim

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" > wrote in message
m...

> "DougW" > wrote in message
>> Sioux C. Queue wrote:

>>> Cultural thing. It will be eaten, that's why it's hunted.

>> 4th grade too young? Heck, I was hunting at that age.
>>
>> --
>> DougW
>>

> Me too. Was allowed to hunt by myowndamnself when I was 9.
> Big Jim

Savage .22/.410 over/under at 7 for squirrel hunting with Dad.
Fox 20ga side by side for 8th birthday. Walther P38 war souvenir
on 10th for target practice with a pistol. From the day I began
driving, there was always a shotgun, rifle or both in the car
trunk or under the truck seat- including when I drove to school.
The principal once lived with my parents and I grew up hunting
with him. My former high school STILL has its own trap and skeet
team.

FWIW, I never have had a hunting or plinking accident, have never
pointed a gun at anyone drunk, sober, playing or for serious and
my kids are the same way. Both are proficient with pistols,
rifles and shotguns, owning several of my old ones or ones they've
purchased. In my family, guns are not some macho thing, but are
for sport and target shooting.

--
Nonny

Live a good and honorable life.
Then when you get older and
think back, you'll enjoy it
a second time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a Norwegian living in Texas, USA. I often go back to Norway, and
> one of the foods I get there is whale. I know some people might scream

snip
> same oak as we have here in Texas. Could someone here suggest woods I
> could possibly try which would go well with meat and seafood as one?

The bullet type smoker doesn't have vents, is that correct? If no vents
you have to use a much tinier amount of wood in my experience. The
bullet smoker without vents is very efficient and holds the smoke inside
for a long time therefore you can't use a lot of wood nor recharge it.

--
Regards, Piedmont

https://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/home
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:03:47 -0400, piedmont wrote:
>
>> The bullet type smoker doesn't have vents, is that correct? If no vents
>> you have to use a much tinier amount of wood in my experience. The
>> bullet smoker without vents is very efficient and holds the smoke inside
>> for a long time therefore you can't use a lot of wood nor recharge it.

> The ECD and ECBG have a vent of sorts in the gap between the lid and
> the housing.
>
> -sw

The lids are tall/deep, a vent would need to be at top of lid to allow
full flow of smoke, when I had mine I was amazed at how 'hammy' tasting
everything was until I dramatically cut back on the amount of wood.
Although there were times that I enjoyed the ham flavored turkey's! Came
out just like the expensive smoked turkey's you can mail order.

I was alway amazed at how well they cooked without vents, and in all the
other cookers so much concern is put into air flow and ventilation, but
I figure the wood burners got mixed in with briquettes and air flow was
perhaps carried over incorrectly.

--
Regards, Piedmont

https://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/home
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a Norwegian living in Texas, USA. I often go back to Norway, and
> one of the foods I get there is whale. I know some people might
> scream and kick and call me names

Don't worry about it, "ceed". There's no end to ignorant dill-weeds and
dip-sticks. The rest of us have a better grip on reality...(:-o)!

I had a chance to eat whale while eating in the mess-hall while serving at
a NATO base in Norway in the '60's. I didn't know what it was until told
so, but it was okay. I also had a chance to have some, both raw & cooked,
with some old Inuit friends in the late '80's. I am, however, amazed that
it would respond well to being barbequed. That is neat! I'd love to get a
chance to try that.

L8r all,
Dusty
--
So long as the people do not care to exercise their freedom, those who
wish to tyrannize will do so; for tyrants are active and ardent, and

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 20:48:53 -0500, BakerBoy
> wrote:

> Don't worry about it, "ceed". There's no end to ignorant dill-weeds and
> dip-sticks. The rest of us have a better grip on reality...(:-o)!

I met a guy from Greenpeace at some school play thingy for my youngest
kid. I told him: "I have to warn you, I've eaten them and I still will!"..
He immediately put two and two together: Norwegian + eaten = whale. He
told it's disgusting and walked off. I didn't even get to discuss the
issues with him.

> I had a chance to eat whale while eating in the mess-hall while serving
> at
> a NATO base in Norway in the '60's. I

It wouldn't have been the base at Kolsås? If so, I was a little kid at the
time running around those neighborhoods.

didn't know what it was until told
> so, but it was okay. I also had a chance to have some, both raw &
> cooked,
> with some old Inuit friends in the late '80's. I am, however, amazed
> that
> it would respond well to being barbequed. That is neat! I'd love to
> get a
> chance to try that.

Who says you won't at some point?

--
//ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 20:48:53 -0500, BakerBoy
> > wrote:
>
>> Don't worry about it, "ceed". There's no end to ignorant dill-weeds
>> and dip-sticks. The rest of us have a better grip on
>> reality...(:-o)!

> I met a guy from Greenpeace at some school play thingy for my youngest
> kid. I told him: "I have to warn you, I've eaten them and I still
> will!". He immediately put two and two together: Norwegian + eaten =
> whale. He told it's disgusting and walked off. I didn't even get to
> discuss the issues with him.

You can't discuss issues with members of a cult until they've been
de-programmed, at which point become capable of thinking for themselves.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:28:00 -0500, ceed wrote:
>

>> What I want to tell you guys about is how I took what I have learned here
>> in Texas about barbecue and did whale using indirect heat and smoke doing
>> whale. This is a method totally unknown over there.

> I thought smoked whale was very common in Norway. What kind of wood
> do they use?
>
> How long did you smoke it?
>
> -sw

Until it's done.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 19:42:15 -0500, Stevie wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> How long did you smoke it?

>> Until it's done.

> I see I need to add you to my global killfile rather than just the
> alt.food.fast-food filter.
>
> -sw

Please do.