Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default throwdown

I just watched a Bobby Flay throwdown featuring BBQ ribs. The opponent
was Ed Mitchell, a North Carolina BBQ champion. He cooked "fall off
the bone" wet tender ribs in 40 minutes. Is that even possible? Did
anyone else see the show?

Cam
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:38:56 -0700 (PDT), Cam >
wrote:

>I just watched a Bobby Flay throwdown featuring BBQ ribs. The opponent
>was Ed Mitchell, a North Carolina BBQ champion. He cooked "fall off
>the bone" wet tender ribs in 40 minutes. Is that even possible? Did
>anyone else see the show?
>
>Cam

Yes. You saw a repeat. Bobby lost. Yes it is possible. I prefer low
and slow.

Quick answer as my wife will be home soon and I'm making her
breakfast.

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 16, 6:38*pm, Cam > wrote:
> I just watched a Bobby Flay throwdown featuring BBQ ribs. The opponent
> was Ed Mitchell, a North Carolina BBQ champion.

Not against the restaurant owner dude with the "upscale" grill/BBQ
restaurant?

*He cooked "fall off
> the bone" wet tender ribs in 40 minutes. Is that even possible? Did
> anyone else see the show?
>
> Cam

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Cam wrote:
> I just watched a Bobby Flay throwdown featuring BBQ ribs. The opponent
> was Ed Mitchell, a North Carolina BBQ champion. He cooked "fall off
> the bone" wet tender ribs in 40 minutes. Is that even possible? Did
> anyone else see the show?
>
> Cam

fall off the bone, wet and tender, No, not possible, he had to have
pre-cooked.

--
Regards, Piedmont

https://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/home
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 00:53:22 -0500, Gene >
wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:38:56 -0700 (PDT), Cam >
>wrote:
>
>>I just watched a Bobby Flay throwdown featuring BBQ ribs. The opponent
>>was Ed Mitchell, a North Carolina BBQ champion. He cooked "fall off
>>the bone" wet tender ribs in 40 minutes. Is that even possible? Did
>>anyone else see the show?
>>
>>Cam

>Yes. You saw a repeat. Bobby lost. Yes it is possible. I prefer low
>and slow.
>
>Quick answer as my wife will be home soon and I'm making her
>breakfast.
>

>Gene
>
>"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
>Thomas Jefferson

Let me clarify, he precooks to get fall off the bone.

Why would anyone want fall off the bone?

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message

> Yes. You saw a repeat. Bobby lost. Yes it is possible. I prefer
> low
> and slow.

I watched it on the DVR and he loses every time I replay it.
<grin>

--
Nonny

Live a good and honorable life.
Then when you get older and
think back, you'll enjoy it
a second time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default throwdown and other Food Network Rib Massacres

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:47:16 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
> wrote:

>Cam said:
>> I just watched a Bobby Flay throwdown featuring BBQ ribs. The opponent
>> was Ed Mitchell, a North Carolina BBQ champion. He cooked "fall off
>> the bone" wet tender ribs in 40 minutes. Is that even possible? Did
>> anyone else see the show?
>>
>> Cam

>A couple nights ago on Good Eats, Alton Brown showed how to fix ribs. He
>made a point of saying they were not barbecue, but just as good. Then he
>proceeded to show how to make a rub, and all was fine up to that point.
>
>Then he said they had to be braised. OK, I get that, and you brown it up
>somehow like under a broiler and then cook in a liquid, right? Nope. He took
>the seasoned St. Louies and wrapped them in foil with a bunch of liquid,
>sealed them up, and put them in the oven at 225 for 2 1/2 hours. They came
>out looking shrunk up and a very light pasty looking tan color.
>
>When he took them out, drained the liquid, reduced it and added some other
>stuff, painted the ribs with it, and ran them under the broiler for a couple
>minutes.
>
>What I think I just saw was ribs boiled in foil. You can have a throwdown
>with those ribs too, I bet... thrown down to the dog to see if he will eat
>them. What a waste of good St. Louies.
>
>MartyB in KC

About 3-5 years ago, Ann and I had no other choice but to do ribs
indoors. I watched and recorded that "Good Eats" and followed it to
the letter. I didn't make a mistake. I do know how to cook.

I like most everything Alton does. That said, those ribs were CRAP!
Shit on a bone bad!

I can NOT stress how bad those ribs were, and I have made my share of
good ribs.

The method sux. HARD.

Just my 2 c's.

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Cam said:
>> I just watched a Bobby Flay throwdown featuring BBQ ribs. The opponent
>> was Ed Mitchell, a North Carolina BBQ champion. He cooked "fall off
>> the bone" wet tender ribs in 40 minutes. Is that even possible? Did
>> anyone else see the show?
>>
>> Cam

> A couple nights ago on Good Eats, Alton Brown showed how to fix ribs. He
> made a point of saying they were not barbecue, but just as good. Then he
> proceeded to show how to make a rub, and all was fine up to that point.
>
> Then he said they had to be braised. OK, I get that, and you brown it up
> somehow like under a broiler and then cook in a liquid, right? Nope. He took
> the seasoned St. Louies and wrapped them in foil with a bunch of liquid,
> sealed them up, and put them in the oven at 225 for 2 1/2 hours. They came
> out looking shrunk up and a very light pasty looking tan color.
>
> When he took them out, drained the liquid, reduced it and added some other
> stuff, painted the ribs with it, and ran them under the broiler for a couple
> minutes.
>
> What I think I just saw was ribs boiled in foil. You can have a throwdown
> with those ribs too, I bet... thrown down to the dog to see if he will eat
> them. What a waste of good St. Louies.
>
> MartyB in KC

I have never used Alton's recipe to make ribs (Yuck!) but I have used
his "formula" to some extent from that episode to make my rib rub. It's
not like his, but the proportions are similar.

Hey! It was as good a place as any to start. I think I've developed a
pretty good rub. My guests never complain.

PS: Am I the only one who doesn't want my meat to fall off the bone? I
want it to come off easily when I bite it. If I wanted mushy meat, I'd
make pot roast. JMTCW

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 20:37:39 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>> Cam said:
>>> I just watched a Bobby Flay throwdown featuring BBQ ribs. The opponent
>>> was Ed Mitchell, a North Carolina BBQ champion. He cooked "fall off
>>> the bone" wet tender ribs in 40 minutes. Is that even possible? Did
>>> anyone else see the show?
>>>
>>> Cam

>> A couple nights ago on Good Eats, Alton Brown showed how to fix ribs. He
>> made a point of saying they were not barbecue, but just as good. Then he
>> proceeded to show how to make a rub, and all was fine up to that point.
>>
>> Then he said they had to be braised. OK, I get that, and you brown it up
>> somehow like under a broiler and then cook in a liquid, right? Nope. He took
>> the seasoned St. Louies and wrapped them in foil with a bunch of liquid,
>> sealed them up, and put them in the oven at 225 for 2 1/2 hours. They came
>> out looking shrunk up and a very light pasty looking tan color.
>>
>> When he took them out, drained the liquid, reduced it and added some other
>> stuff, painted the ribs with it, and ran them under the broiler for a couple
>> minutes.
>>
>> What I think I just saw was ribs boiled in foil. You can have a throwdown
>> with those ribs too, I bet... thrown down to the dog to see if he will eat
>> them. What a waste of good St. Louies.
>>
>> MartyB in KC
>>

>I have never used Alton's recipe to make ribs (Yuck!) but I have used
>his "formula" to some extent from that episode to make my rib rub. It's
>not like his, but the proportions are similar.
>
>Hey! It was as good a place as any to start. I think I've developed a
>pretty good rub. My guests never complain.
>
>PS: Am I the only one who doesn't want my meat to fall off the bone? I
>want it to come off easily when I bite it. If I wanted mushy meat, I'd
>make pot roast. JMTCW

I'm with you. I do not want it to fall off the bone either. I want a
tad bit of tooth to it.

I like John Henry's Mesquite rub the best. But I was able to reverse
engineer it and add a bit of bite to it. Now I have been making my own
rub for years.

After The Alton rib incident, if I can't put my ribs on my pit, I
ain't bothering.

When I tried it his way I didn't have a choice.

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gene wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 20:37:39 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:

>>> A couple nights ago on Good Eats, Alton Brown showed how to fix ribs. He
>>> made a point of saying they were not barbecue, but just as good. Then he
>>> proceeded to show how to make a rub, and all was fine up to that point.
>>>
>>> Then he said they had to be braised. OK, I get that, and you brown it up
>>> somehow like under a broiler and then cook in a liquid, right? Nope. He took
>>> the seasoned St. Louies and wrapped them in foil with a bunch of liquid,
>>> sealed them up, and put them in the oven at 225 for 2 1/2 hours. They came
>>> out looking shrunk up and a very light pasty looking tan color.
>>>
>>> When he took them out, drained the liquid, reduced it and added some other
>>> stuff, painted the ribs with it, and ran them under the broiler for a couple
>>> minutes.
>>>
>>> What I think I just saw was ribs boiled in foil. You can have a throwdown
>>> with those ribs too, I bet... thrown down to the dog to see if he will eat
>>> them. What a waste of good St. Louies.
>>>
>>> MartyB in KC
>>>

>> I have never used Alton's recipe to make ribs (Yuck!) but I have used
>> his "formula" to some extent from that episode to make my rib rub. It's
>> not like his, but the proportions are similar.
>>
>> Hey! It was as good a place as any to start. I think I've developed a
>> pretty good rub. My guests never complain.
>>
>> PS: Am I the only one who doesn't want my meat to fall off the bone? I
>> want it to come off easily when I bite it. If I wanted mushy meat, I'd
>> make pot roast. JMTCW

> I'm with you. I do not want it to fall off the bone either. I want a
> tad bit of tooth to it.
>
> I like John Henry's Mesquite rub the best. But I was able to reverse
> engineer it and add a bit of bite to it. Now I have been making my own
> rub for years.
>
> After The Alton rib incident, if I can't put my ribs on my pit, I
> ain't bothering.
>
> When I tried it his way I didn't have a choice.

Hi Gene,

I do have a choice. I had been doing ribs on the gas grill, offset, for
a few years before I got my smoker. They come out great on the smoker,
but they also come out great on the gas grill.

DH said why should I go through all the muss and fuss with the charcoal
and setting up the smoker outside, etc., when I can do just as good a
job on the gas frill.

So I use the gas grill with some hickory chunks wrapped in foil and my
ribs are perfect.

I should mention that I have a 4 burner grill named "Grillzilla" so
there is plenty of area for the ribs that is not over the fire. I light
2 burners and keep the temp at about 250° Takes a couple of hours for
back ribs.

I do use my bullet smoker for pork butts and brisket.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 22:07:34 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Gene wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 20:37:39 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:

>>> I have never used Alton's recipe to make ribs (Yuck!) but I have used
>>> his "formula" to some extent from that episode to make my rib rub. It's
>>> not like his, but the proportions are similar.
>>>
>>> Hey! It was as good a place as any to start. I think I've developed a
>>> pretty good rub. My guests never complain.
>>>
>>> PS: Am I the only one who doesn't want my meat to fall off the bone? I
>>> want it to come off easily when I bite it. If I wanted mushy meat, I'd
>>> make pot roast. JMTCW

>> I'm with you. I do not want it to fall off the bone either. I want a
>> tad bit of tooth to it.
>>
>> I like John Henry's Mesquite rub the best. But I was able to reverse
>> engineer it and add a bit of bite to it. Now I have been making my own
>> rub for years.
>>
>> After The Alton rib incident, if I can't put my ribs on my pit, I
>> ain't bothering.
>>
>> When I tried it his way I didn't have a choice.

>Hi Gene,
>
>I do have a choice. I had been doing ribs on the gas grill, offset, for
>a few years before I got my smoker. They come out great on the smoker,
>but they also come out great on the gas grill.
>
>DH said why should I go through all the muss and fuss with the charcoal
>and setting up the smoker outside, etc., when I can do just as good a
>job on the gas frill.
>
>So I use the gas grill with some hickory chunks wrapped in foil and my
>ribs are perfect.
>
>I should mention that I have a 4 burner grill named "Grillzilla" so
>there is plenty of area for the ribs that is not over the fire. I light
>2 burners and keep the temp at about 250° Takes a couple of hours for
>back ribs.
>
>I do use my bullet smoker for pork butts and brisket.

Hi Janet!

I have smoked ribs, butts, etc. on a gas grill, charcoal, natural
lump, smokers, electric...everything but LOX! LOL!!

I have 2 pits, one natural (using lump and wood chunks), the other
electric, both are from Smoke Hallow. I loaned out the natural so now
I have a choice of either the electric smoker, the gas grill (4 burner
Brink man), or a grill I use lump and chunks/chips in that I garbage
picked!

For ease of use I hands down go with the electric. You will not get a
smoke ring, but the flavor is great.

If I had to make lots at one time I would just crank them all on!

The time I HAD to do the ribs indoors we were in the process of moving
and everything was in storage

I just got a BFF (big freakin freezer) and my Snorkel VaK (same one
Brick and Nick have) is on the way, then its time to repo my natural,
crank everything on, and Q a real big load of meat for the winter!!!!

When I do the ribs in the pit I do them at 225 till done, about 3-5
hours.

I remove the back skin, rub in a lite coat of CYM, hit them with my
dry rub, wrap in plastic wrap, then in the fridge over night. Another
sprinkle of rub before the cook and then into the pit!

Cheers!
Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gene > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> About 3-5 years ago, Ann and I had no other choice but to do ribs
> indoors. I watched and recorded that "Good Eats" and followed it to
> the letter. I didn't make a mistake. I do know how to cook.
>
> I like most everything Alton does. That said, those ribs were CRAP!
> Shit on a bone bad!

Alton's an interesting guy. As you say, most of his recipes/methods are
good and I've learned a lot from them and his technical stuff. But, some of
his food is absolute crap. He needs to come to one of our backyards to see
what BBQ really is! That Fley fellah' too.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18 Oct 2009 04:07:54 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Gene > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> About 3-5 years ago, Ann and I had no other choice but to do ribs
>> indoors. I watched and recorded that "Good Eats" and followed it to
>> the letter. I didn't make a mistake. I do know how to cook.
>>
>> I like most everything Alton does. That said, those ribs were CRAP!
>> Shit on a bone bad!

>Alton's an interesting guy. As you say, most of his recipes/methods are
>good and I've learned a lot from them and his technical stuff. But, some of
>his food is absolute crap. He needs to come to one of our backyards to see
>what BBQ really is! That Fley fellah' too.

I have allot of respect for both of them, that said, in the case of
Flay, for a guy that has built a reputation for grilling and BBQ, I
have yet to see him make real Q!

Alton is very interesting. Got to meet him once. He was standing in
line at the check out behind me at Harry's Farmers Market back when I
lived in Georgia. Nicest guy you could meet. He really shops there in
real life! Really does know his stuff.

Got to meet Flay once too. He is real as he is on the shows he is on.
What you see with that guy (personality wise) is what you get. He was
taking a break at a book signing. I was Out having a smoke. I was not
there for the signing and I even told him that. His response? "That's
cool". He said that! LOL. He really does not think he is "all that".
VERY down to earth. Also a nice guy.

Both of these guys really did have to work to get where they are.
Neither one had an easy ride.

I still don't think either one could cook good real Q if a gun was to
their heads.

LOL!

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18 Oct 2009 05:17:20 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Gene > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> >Alton's an interesting guy. As you say, most of his recipes/methods are
>> >good and I've learned a lot from them and his technical stuff. But, some
>> >of his food is absolute crap. He needs to come to one of our backyards
>> >to see what BBQ really is! That Fley fellah' too.

>> [ . . . ]

>Alton needs to come to one of our backyards to see what BBQ really is! That
>Fley fellah' too. Look out Food Network! a.f.b is watching!

LOL!

Bring'em on!

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gene > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> >Alton's an interesting guy. As you say, most of his recipes/methods are
> >good and I've learned a lot from them and his technical stuff. But, some
> >of his food is absolute crap. He needs to come to one of our backyards
> >to see what BBQ really is! That Fley fellah' too.

> [ . . . ]

Alton needs to come to one of our backyards to see what BBQ really is! That
Fley fellah' too. Look out Food Network! a.f.b is watching!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Oct-2009, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Gene > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > About 3-5 years ago, Ann and I had no other choice but to do ribs
> > indoors. I watched and recorded that "Good Eats" and followed it to
> > the letter. I didn't make a mistake. I do know how to cook.
> >
> > I like most everything Alton does. That said, those ribs were CRAP!
> > Shit on a bone bad!

> Alton's an interesting guy. As you say, most of his recipes/methods are
> good and I've learned a lot from them and his technical stuff. But, some
> of
> his food is absolute crap. He needs to come to one of our backyards to
> see
> what BBQ really is! That Fley fellah' too.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV.

Okay, who's volunteering their backyard and when? Frankly, my yard
isn't big enough. I threw out an invite in the summer of '07 and we
trampled
all four blades of grass into total oblivian. It lives in my memory as a
high
spot nonetheless. It's hard to imagine that some people drove all day to
attend a BBQ gathering in a trailer park.

There's no way that there'd be room for FoodNetworks camera teams
in my space.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Oct-2009, Gene > wrote:

> On 18 Oct 2009 04:07:54 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:

.. . .

> I have allot of respect for both of them, that said, in the case of
> Flay, for a guy that has built a reputation for grilling and BBQ, I
> have yet to see him make real Q!
>
> Alton is very interesting. Got to meet him once. He was standing in
> line at the check out behind me at Harry's Farmers Market back when I
> lived in Georgia. Nicest guy you could meet. He really shops there in
> real life! Really does know his stuff.
>
> Got to meet Flay once too. He is real as he is on the shows he is on.
> What you see with that guy (personality wise) is what you get. He was
> taking a break at a book signing. I was Out having a smoke. I was not
> there for the signing and I even told him that. His response? "That's
> cool". He said that! LOL. He really does not think he is "all that".
> VERY down to earth. Also a nice guy.
>
> Both of these guys really did have to work to get where they are.
> Neither one had an easy ride.
>
> I still don't think either one could cook good real Q if a gun was to
> their heads.
>
> LOL!
>
> Gene

With all due respect Gene, I don't think anybody in this group has
every had the opportunity to see either of them cook when time
was not an issue. I think it's pretty presumptuous to believe that
either of those guys couldn't make decent que given appropriate
equipment and time.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 17-Oct-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Nunya Bidnits wrote:

.. . .

> I have never used Alton's recipe to make ribs (Yuck!) but I have used
> his "formula" to some extent from that episode to make my rib rub. It's
> not like his, but the proportions are similar.
>
> Hey! It was as good a place as any to start. I think I've developed a
> pretty good rub. My guests never complain.
>
> PS: Am I the only one who doesn't want my meat to fall off the bone? I
> want it to come off easily when I bite it. If I wanted mushy meat, I'd
> make pot roast. JMTCW
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

No Janet, you are not the only one that doesn't like mushy ribs. I like
your description of done ribs. "I want it to come off easily when I bite
it."
To clarify, I like the meat to come off leaving the bone clean. I hate it
when I can't get all the meat off the bone. Same thing with chicken by
the way.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 17-Oct-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Gene wrote:

.. . .

> Hi Gene,
>
> I do have a choice. I had been doing ribs on the gas grill, offset, for
> a few years before I got my smoker. They come out great on the smoker,
> but they also come out great on the gas grill.
>
> DH said why should I go through all the muss and fuss with the charcoal
> and setting up the smoker outside, etc., when I can do just as good a
> job on the gas frill.
>
> So I use the gas grill with some hickory chunks wrapped in foil and my
> ribs are perfect.
>
> I should mention that I have a 4 burner grill named "Grillzilla" so
> there is plenty of area for the ribs that is not over the fire. I light
> 2 burners and keep the temp at about 250° Takes a couple of hours for
> back ribs.
>
> I do use my bullet smoker for pork butts and brisket.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

It is duly noted in the archives that Janet Wilder know what 'Q'
is and how to cook it. This is not a dis on you Janet. Everybody
should pay attention to the fact that BBQ can be maxe either
in a smoker on or on/in a grill with proper attention to procedure.

And, I'll reiterate yet again that my neighbors make some great
ribs on/in a grill using a variety of rubs/marinades and Yuk! (foil).
So they aren't 'Q'. None of the guests gives a shit. Least of all
me.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 06:23:10 GMT, "Brick"
> wrote:

>On 18-Oct-2009, Gene > wrote:
>
>> On 18 Oct 2009 04:07:54 GMT, Nick Cramer >
>> wrote:

>. . .
>

>> I have allot of respect for both of them, that said, in the case of
>> Flay, for a guy that has built a reputation for grilling and BBQ, I
>> have yet to see him make real Q!
>>
>> Alton is very interesting. Got to meet him once. He was standing in
>> line at the check out behind me at Harry's Farmers Market back when I
>> lived in Georgia. Nicest guy you could meet. He really shops there in
>> real life! Really does know his stuff.
>>
>> Got to meet Flay once too. He is real as he is on the shows he is on.
>> What you see with that guy (personality wise) is what you get. He was
>> taking a break at a book signing. I was Out having a smoke. I was not
>> there for the signing and I even told him that. His response? "That's
>> cool". He said that! LOL. He really does not think he is "all that".
>> VERY down to earth. Also a nice guy.
>>
>> Both of these guys really did have to work to get where they are.
>> Neither one had an easy ride.
>>
>> I still don't think either one could cook good real Q if a gun was to
>> their heads.
>>
>> LOL!
>>
>> Gene

>With all due respect Gene, I don't think anybody in this group has
>every had the opportunity to see either of them cook when time
>was not an issue. I think it's pretty presumptuous to believe that
>either of those guys couldn't make decent que given appropriate
>equipment and time.

Brick

I respectfully tend to error on the side of disagreement.

I have no idea how many hours these guys have logged on TV, but I am
sure it must be VAST amounts. Add to that that one of them is from
Georgia and the other has more than once been featured doing "BBQ" (As
far back as "Grillin & Chillin"...I think that if they really knew Q,
they would have shown it by now. Esp when Flay challenged a Q guy and
put it on TV.

Now grant it, just because someone is from the south does not mean he
is born to Q. That said, Alton did a show on how to make ribs in the
oven. I tried his way and it was bad. I thought it was bad when I
watched the show. But I thought he MUST know something I didn't at the
time. Now I do know how to Q. If I were to do it "in the oven", why
would I not use the same principals that I learned while learning to
Q? Point is, he must not know how to Q, or he had a bad hair day the
day he put that show together.

I have heard many times, as I am sure you have too, that "this guy"
makes the best what ever, only to be disappointed once you tasted what
ever it was.

If I was given an hour of TV time in order to present ANYTHING, I
would be sure to bring my "A" game. Wouldn't you?

I don't think I presume too much. I give these guys allot of credit.
Just not for Q. Not till I see it.

If we disagree, we disagree.

I still think your top notch!

Peace

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 06:15:17 GMT, "Brick"
> wrote:

>On 18-Oct-2009, Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
>> Gene > wrote:
>> > [ . . . ]
>> > About 3-5 years ago, Ann and I had no other choice but to do ribs
>> > indoors. I watched and recorded that "Good Eats" and followed it to
>> > the letter. I didn't make a mistake. I do know how to cook.
>> >
>> > I like most everything Alton does. That said, those ribs were CRAP!
>> > Shit on a bone bad!

>> Alton's an interesting guy. As you say, most of his recipes/methods are
>> good and I've learned a lot from them and his technical stuff. But, some
>> of
>> his food is absolute crap. He needs to come to one of our backyards to
>> see
>> what BBQ really is! That Fley fellah' too.
>>
>> --
>> Nick, KI6VAV.

>Okay, who's volunteering their backyard and when? Frankly, my yard
>isn't big enough. I threw out an invite in the summer of '07 and we
>trampled
>all four blades of grass into total oblivian. It lives in my memory as a
>high
>spot nonetheless. It's hard to imagine that some people drove all day to
>attend a BBQ gathering in a trailer park.
>
>There's no way that there'd be room for FoodNetworks camera teams
>in my space.

I got the space!

But it's not fenced in. That might be a problem as the over whelming
smell of greatness could very well reach China!

That is of course if we are all cookin

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 18-Oct-2009, Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
>> Gene > wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]
>>> About 3-5 years ago, Ann and I had no other choice but to do ribs
>>> indoors. I watched and recorded that "Good Eats" and followed it to
>>> the letter. I didn't make a mistake. I do know how to cook.
>>>
>>> I like most everything Alton does. That said, those ribs were CRAP!
>>> Shit on a bone bad!

>> Alton's an interesting guy. As you say, most of his recipes/methods are
>> good and I've learned a lot from them and his technical stuff. But, some
>> of
>> his food is absolute crap. He needs to come to one of our backyards to
>> see
>> what BBQ really is! That Fley fellah' too.
>>
>> --
>> Nick, KI6VAV.

> Okay, who's volunteering their backyard and when? Frankly, my yard
> isn't big enough. I threw out an invite in the summer of '07 and we
> trampled
> all four blades of grass into total oblivian. It lives in my memory as a
> high
> spot nonetheless. It's hard to imagine that some people drove all day to
> attend a BBQ gathering in a trailer park.
>
> There's no way that there'd be room for FoodNetworks camera teams
> in my space.

I have the room with a huge, fenced backyard and no neighbors to
complain about smoke, but no one would come here. It's just too far from
anywhere.

I don't know what happened to the map we all did with the cyber push
pins, but if you look at a map of Texas and see the little tail that
extends into the gulf of Mexico just where the Rio Grande empties into
it, I live about 20 miles up-river from there in Cameron County. Closest
city is Harlingen but San Benito delivers the mail. The area is locally
known as Rangerville because there once was a Texas Ranger barracks here.

It's about 2 hours from Corpus Christie, 3.5 hours from San Antoinio and
5.5 hours from Houston. In between there is nothing but cattle.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 17-Oct-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> . . .
>
>> I have never used Alton's recipe to make ribs (Yuck!) but I have used
>> his "formula" to some extent from that episode to make my rib rub. It's
>> not like his, but the proportions are similar.
>>
>> Hey! It was as good a place as any to start. I think I've developed a
>> pretty good rub. My guests never complain.
>>
>> PS: Am I the only one who doesn't want my meat to fall off the bone? I
>> want it to come off easily when I bite it. If I wanted mushy meat, I'd
>> make pot roast. JMTCW
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

> No Janet, you are not the only one that doesn't like mushy ribs. I like
> your description of done ribs. "I want it to come off easily when I bite
> it."
> To clarify, I like the meat to come off leaving the bone clean. I hate it
> when I can't get all the meat off the bone. Same thing with chicken by
> the way.

That's how my ribs come out. Take a bite and it comes off. Pick it up
from the plate and it stays on. The only meat I think should fall of the
bone easily is braised short ribs. Makes it neater to eat it.

Our dog is small enough that he can gnaw rib bones without harm (7 # Toy
Poodle named Mickey Charles after the great Mickey Mantle --- ask me if
DH's feet are touching the ground right now---Not!) and he gets a clean
bone to play with. No meat left. It all went to the pack leaders <vbg>

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 17-Oct-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Gene wrote:

> . . .
>
>> Hi Gene,
>>
>> I do have a choice. I had been doing ribs on the gas grill, offset, for
>> a few years before I got my smoker. They come out great on the smoker,
>> but they also come out great on the gas grill.
>>
>> DH said why should I go through all the muss and fuss with the charcoal
>> and setting up the smoker outside, etc., when I can do just as good a
>> job on the gas frill.
>>
>> So I use the gas grill with some hickory chunks wrapped in foil and my
>> ribs are perfect.
>>
>> I should mention that I have a 4 burner grill named "Grillzilla" so
>> there is plenty of area for the ribs that is not over the fire. I light
>> 2 burners and keep the temp at about 250° Takes a couple of hours for
>> back ribs.
>>
>> I do use my bullet smoker for pork butts and brisket.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

> It is duly noted in the archives that Janet Wilder know what 'Q'
> is and how to cook it. This is not a dis on you Janet. Everybody
> should pay attention to the fact that BBQ can be maxe either
> in a smoker on or on/in a grill with proper attention to procedure.

I am duly honored, Brick. Your opinion means a lot to me. Thanks.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 21:37:23 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:55:48 -0500, Gene wrote:
>
>> About 3-5 years ago, Ann and I had no other choice but to do ribs
>> indoors. I watched and recorded that "Good Eats" and followed it to
>> the letter. I didn't make a mistake. I do know how to cook.
>>
>> I like most everything Alton does. That said, those ribs were CRAP!
>> Shit on a bone bad!

>I've cooked two racks of pork spares in the oven recently and they
>all suck.
>
>There are only three ways to cook spare ribs, IMO: BBQ, Cantonese
>style, or braised with sauerkraut.
>
>-sw

Well what do you know? We agree 100% on something!

In a pinch, spares can be used in place of neck bones when making
marinara sauce.

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gene wrote:
> I still don't think either one could cook good real Q if a gun was to
> their heads.

IIRC, there was one episode where Alton made a smoker out of a clay plant
pot and and portable electric stove element. I can't remember what he
smoked, but it was interesting, in a MacGuyver sort of way....

--

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:
> Gene wrote:
>> I still don't think either one could cook good real Q if a gun was to
>> their heads.

> IIRC, there was one episode where Alton made a smoker out of a clay
> plant pot and and portable electric stove element. I can't remember
> what he smoked, but it was interesting, in a MacGuyver sort of way....

I remember seeing that episode and thinking that putting a stovetop
burner unit into a closed pot was rather stupid since it can overheat
and melt the cord. So rather than build a FrankenQ I got myself a
CookShack.

Speaking of which, the brisket has been in since 3am over a mix of
pecan and one sad little remaining chunk of mesquite.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"DougW" > wrote in message
news
> vex wrote:
>> Gene wrote:
>>> I still don't think either one could cook good real Q if a gun was to
>>> their heads.

>> IIRC, there was one episode where Alton made a smoker out of a clay
>> plant pot and and portable electric stove element. I can't remember
>> what he smoked, but it was interesting, in a MacGuyver sort of way....

> I remember seeing that episode and thinking that putting a stovetop
> burner unit into a closed pot was rather stupid since it can overheat
> and melt the cord. So rather than build a FrankenQ I got myself a
> CookShack.

Did the unit go into the pot, or was the pot on top of the element? I use a
hotplate for cold smoking and put a pie pan on top with sawdust and wood
chunks. All you need is something to hold the smoke in, like an old
refrigerator, cardboard box, file cabinet, etc.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "DougW" > wrote in message
> news
>> vex wrote:
>>>
>>> IIRC, there was one episode where Alton made a smoker out of a clay
>>> plant pot and and portable electric stove element. I can't remember
>>> what he smoked, but it was interesting, in a MacGuyver sort of
>>> way....

>> I remember seeing that episode and thinking that putting a stovetop
>> burner unit into a closed pot was rather stupid since it can overheat
>> and melt the cord. So rather than build a FrankenQ I got myself a
>> CookShack.

> Did the unit go into the pot, or was the pot on top of the element? I use
> a hotplate for cold smoking and put a pie pan on top with
> sawdust and wood chunks. All you need is something to hold the
> smoke in, like an old refrigerator, cardboard box, file cabinet, etc.

The unit went into the pot and the cord snaked out through the drain hole in
the bottom. I think he set the entire rig on a couple of bricks or something
to allow air to come in through the drain hole, then put a pie pan on the
element with his wood chips in it. Then he used a rack out of a Weber to set
the meat on inside, and covered the entire thing with the "saucer" that
usually sits under the pot to collect water.

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

you have just reconfirmed my and dh's decision that having cable would be a
waste of money, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> vex said:
>> Gene wrote:
>>> I still don't think either one could cook good real Q if a gun was to
>>> their heads.

>> IIRC, there was one episode where Alton made a smoker out of a clay
>> plant pot and and portable electric stove element. I can't remember
>> what he smoked, but it was interesting, in a MacGuyver sort of way....

> There was also one where he got a clay pot or some sort of clay
> contraption
> to cook a prime rib in, inside his oven.
>
> His techniques may work, but crap, if you do all the stuff he wants you to
> do and buy all the geegaws he wants you to have to do it with, you'll be
> broke, and dinner won't be ready till midnight. When you can do an entire
> half hour on brewing a pot of coffee, it's time for a pill and a nap.
>
> MartyB in KC
>
> MartyB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 20, 4:43*pm, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> you have just reconfirmed my and dh's decision that having cable would be a
> waste of money, Lee

Not true.

History Channel.
History International.
Discovery Channel.
Science Channel.
National Geographic Channel.
Turner Classic Movies.

Now without those, there is no reason for cable.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

iif our cable co offerred three of what you listed it might be worth it, we
are in cable hell however and honestly the real reason we don't have cable
or dish or whatever is that we aren't home enough to use it, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day