Posted to it.hobby.cucina,alt.food.barbecue

Default Italian birthday party in the US.

Posted to it.hobby.cucina - Nick

ceed > wrote:
> Hi,.
>
> This may be a bit OT, and it's not even in Italian, but I'll ask anyway:
>
> My son is having a birthday party with friends invited. He wants to do
> the party the way it's done in Italy. We have done Hawaiian and
> Scandinavian (I am Norwegian living in the US) parties in the past, but
> this time the request is "doing it Italian".
>
> So my question is two fold: First, how would a birthday party for a 10
> year old happen in Italy? I assume there's differences between regions in
> Italy, but are there things to eat and do that would make it somewhat
> universally Italian? Secondly, if there are food/dishes one would
> typically serve at a birthday party in Italy it would be great to get to
> know what they are, and if possible get a recipe or two.
>
> If this is totally outside of the scope of this ng please let me know and
> I will respect it. On the other hand, if someone would like to help me
> out here it would be greatly appreciated! I promised my son I would ask
> around, so I have at least kept my promise!

Hay seed,

I think you've picked the best place to ask. Most of the folks here are
very helpful and a lot of them speak English. A few have even posted on
alt.food.barbecue. How many friends are being invited? Parents? Others?

Happy Birthday to your 10 year old son!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,it.hobby.cucina

On 12-Oct-2009, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Posted to it.hobby.cucina - Nick
>
> ceed > wrote:
> > Hi,.
> >
> > This may be a bit OT, and it's not even in Italian, but I'll ask
> > anyway:
> >
> > My son is having a birthday party with friends invited. He wants to do
> > the party the way it's done in Italy. We have done Hawaiian and
> > Scandinavian (I am Norwegian living in the US) parties in the past, but
> > this time the request is "doing it Italian".
> >
> > So my question is two fold: First, how would a birthday party for a 10
> > year old happen in Italy? I assume there's differences between regions
> > in
> > Italy, but are there things to eat and do that would make it somewhat
> > universally Italian? Secondly, if there are food/dishes one would
> > typically serve at a birthday party in Italy it would be great to get
> > know what they are, and if possible get a recipe or two.
> >
> > If this is totally outside of the scope of this ng please let me know
> > and
> > I will respect it. On the other hand, if someone would like to help me
> > out here it would be greatly appreciated! I promised my son I would ask
> > around, so I have at least kept my promise!

> Hay seed,
>
> I think you've picked the best place to ask. Most of the folks here are
> very helpful and a lot of them speak English. A few have even posted on
> alt.food.barbecue. How many friends are being invited? Parents? Others?
>
> Happy Birthday to your 10 year old son!
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV.

With all respect, I would suggest that you email Giada De Laurentis at
food network. I would be extremely surprised if she would not help you
out. She's an actual Italian with family in Italy.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,it.hobby.cucina

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 05:51:55 GMT, "Brick"
> wrote:

>On 12-Oct-2009, Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
>> Posted to it.hobby.cucina - Nick
>>
>> ceed > wrote:
>> > Hi,.
>> >
>> > This may be a bit OT, and it's not even in Italian, but I'll ask
>> > anyway:
>> >
>> > My son is having a birthday party with friends invited. He wants to do
>> > the party the way it's done in Italy. We have done Hawaiian and
>> > Scandinavian (I am Norwegian living in the US) parties in the past, but
>> > this time the request is "doing it Italian".
>> >
>> > So my question is two fold: First, how would a birthday party for a 10
>> > year old happen in Italy? I assume there's differences between regions
>> > in
>> > Italy, but are there things to eat and do that would make it somewhat
>> > universally Italian? Secondly, if there are food/dishes one would
>> > typically serve at a birthday party in Italy it would be great to get
>> > know what they are, and if possible get a recipe or two.
>> >
>> > If this is totally outside of the scope of this ng please let me know
>> > and
>> > I will respect it. On the other hand, if someone would like to help me
>> > out here it would be greatly appreciated! I promised my son I would ask
>> > around, so I have at least kept my promise!

>> Hay seed,
>>
>> I think you've picked the best place to ask. Most of the folks here are
>> very helpful and a lot of them speak English. A few have even posted on
>> alt.food.barbecue. How many friends are being invited? Parents? Others?
>>
>> Happy Birthday to your 10 year old son!
>>
>> --
>> Nick, KI6VAV.

>With all respect, I would suggest that you email Giada De Laurentis at
>food network. I would be extremely surprised if she would not help you
>out. She's an actual Italian with family in Italy.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/everyday-...rty/index.html

She addresses this very same topic.

Also

http://www.bizrate.com/party-supplie...arty-supplies/

Photos of Italian birthday cakes

http://cakeitaly.com/?p=53

Google is our friend

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to it.hobby.cucina,alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:14:15 -0500, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

> Posted to it.hobby.cucina - Nick
>
> ceed > wrote:
>> Hi,.
>>
>> This may be a bit OT, and it's not even in Italian, but I'll ask anyway:
>>
>> My son is having a birthday party with friends invited. He wants to do
>> the party the way it's done in Italy. We have done Hawaiian and
>> Scandinavian (I am Norwegian living in the US) parties in the past, but
>> this time the request is "doing it Italian".
>>
>> So my question is two fold: First, how would a birthday party for a 10
>> year old happen in Italy? I assume there's differences between regions
>> in
>> Italy, but are there things to eat and do that would make it somewhat
>> universally Italian? Secondly, if there are food/dishes one would
>> typically serve at a birthday party in Italy it would be great to get to
>> know what they are, and if possible get a recipe or two.
>>
>> If this is totally outside of the scope of this ng please let me know
>> and
>> I will respect it. On the other hand, if someone would like to help me
>> out here it would be greatly appreciated! I promised my son I would ask
>> around, so I have at least kept my promise!

> Hay seed,
>
> I think you've picked the best place to ask. Most of the folks here are
> very helpful and a lot of them speak English. A few have even posted on
> alt.food.barbecue. How many friends are being invited? Parents? Others?

Seems like I did pick the right place, yes! It's going to be 10 - 15
kids and probably 6 - 8 parents who will stay. The other parents will
spend the time....well....without their kids

> Happy Birthday to your 10 year old son!

Thanks!

--
//ceed (don't move my mountain)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:

>> I think you've picked the best place to ask. Most of the folks here
>> are very helpful and a lot of them speak English. A few have even
>> posted on alt.food.barbecue. How many friends are being invited?
>> Parents? Others?

> Seems like I did pick the right place, yes!

Yessss
And don't worry about those who whine about the language, there will always
be someone who tries to stop what he/she cannot understand

> It's going to be 10 - 15 kids and probably 6 - 8 parents who will stay.
> The other parents will spend the time....well....without their kids

And don't forget the advice you received: pull the ear of the child whos
birthday you'll be celebrating, une pull for every year he/she is kaming.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 07:46:51 -0500, ViLco > wrote:

> ceed wrote:
>
>>> I think you've picked the best place to ask. Most of the folks here
>>> are very helpful and a lot of them speak English. A few have even
>>> posted on alt.food.barbecue. How many friends are being invited?
>>> Parents? Others?

>> Seems like I did pick the right place, yes!

> Yessss
> And don't worry about those who whine about the language, there will
> always
> be someone who tries to stop what he/she cannot understand

I pulled a Babelfish (what's the correct internal temperature for
Babelfish? over there trying to make the non-English savvy people happy,
or at least give them a good laugh.

>> It's going to be 10 - 15 kids and probably 6 - 8 parents who will stay.
>> The other parents will spend the time....well....without their kids

> And don't forget the advice you received: pull the ear of the child whos
> birthday you'll be celebrating, une pull for every year he/she is kaming.

It will be my pleasure. I will give him a couple of pulls extra for all
the bad stuff he will be doing the upcoming year

--
//ceed (don't move my mountain)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,it.hobby.cucina

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 00:51:55 -0500, Brick >
wrote:

> With all respect, I would suggest that you email Giada De Laurentis at
> food network. I would be extremely surprised if she would not help you
> out. She's an actual Italian with family in Italy.

Now that's a great idea although it seems like I am getting all I need
(and more!) in this thread to pull it off!

--
//ceed (don't move my mountain)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,it.hobby.cucina

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 01:00:29 -0500, Gene > wrote:

> http://www.foodnetwork.com/everyday-...rty/index.html
> She addresses this very same topic.
> Also
> http://www.bizrate.com/party-supplie...arty-supplies/
> Photos of Italian birthday cakes
> http://cakeitaly.com/?p=53
> Google is our friend

You know, I am not sure if I would not end up with an American
interpretation of an Italian birthday party? I kind of like the idea to
getting it from "the source" if possible. I have seen this when it comes
to Scandinavian cooking which I know well. The versions of the traditional
dishes are adapted to the American pallet and is not prepared and served
the way I remember them. That doesn't mean they aren't good though.

I did a lot of searches and did come up with some ideas, but what I got
here so far is much better!

--
//ceed (don't move my mountain)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ViLco" > wrote:
> ceed wrote:
>
> >> I think you've picked the best place to ask. Most of the folks here
> >> are very helpful and a lot of them speak English. A few have even
> >> posted on alt.food.barbecue. How many friends are being invited?
> >> Parents? Others?

> > Seems like I did pick the right place, yes!

> Yessss
> And don't worry about those who whine about the language, there will
> always be someone who tries to stop what he/she cannot understand

Villi, it's because of guys like you, Stefano, Fulvio, Alessandro, etc,
that I keep posting on i.h.c, despite some occasional flak from a few
others. I take it in stride. I try to use some Italian, but I've forgotten
most of what little I knew (some of what I remember is not printable!) and
at 74, learning is difficult.

> > It's going to be 10 - 15 kids and probably 6 - 8 parents who will stay.
> > The other parents will spend the time....well....without their kids

> And don't forget the advice you received: pull the ear of the child whos
> birthday you'll be celebrating, une pull for every year he/she is kaming.

But don't pull his ear OFF, you crazy fool! LMAO

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Member

You got great resources here. Food is arguably the best part of an Italian-themed party. You will, of course, want to serve pasta at your Italian bistro, but your options aren't limited to spaghetti and meatballs, and even fettuccine, linguine and lasagna are only the start of your main course possibilities.
Thanks for sharing insights here.