Old 12-10-2009, 06:30 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Shiraz-soy Grilled Flank Steak Recipe.

Shiraz + Flank Steak + Charcoal = Incredible flavour!
What else can I say? Some things are just meant to go together.

Ingredients:

•3/4 cup Shiraz wine - We used Wild Horse Canyon '07 Shiraz
•2/3 cup soy sauce
•1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
•1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
•1/4 cup lemon juice
•2 tablespoons Worcestershire
•2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
•11/2 teaspoons minced garlic
•1 Flank Steak

Method:

•Whisk the first 8 ingredients into a glass bowl.
•Place the steak in a sealable container or ziploc bag.
•Pour marinade over steak and completely cover.
•Place in fridge and marinate 2 hours or overnight, turning
occasionally.
•Remove steak from marinade and cook over a grill at med-high heat.
•Cook to desired doneness, in my case I like it med-rare.
•Allow steak to rest after removing from grill, and then thinly slice
across the grain to serve.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:05 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

There's so much wrong here. Let's start the critique. eg

On Oct 12, 10:30*am, chris wrote:
Shiraz + Flank Steak + Charcoal = Incredible flavour!
What else can I say? Some things are just meant to go together.

To start with calling out a specific varietal? To *cook* with? I got
four words for you: Paul Mason Hearty Burgundy. Use it for all your
red wine cooking needs. Or whatever's handy. I don't care. The end
result will be essentially the same. I know, I know "hearty burgundy
soy steak" doesn't have the same zing. If you're going for a soundbite
I suggest Malbec-Soy. Or maybe not, sounds a bit too much like a Nazi
concentration camp doesn't it.

Ingredients:

Usually this would be shown as

MEAT:
Flank Steak (Doh)

Marinade:

Method:

•Whisk the first 8 ingredients into a glass bowl.

Really? We're fond of whisking flank steak here, really. Maybe if you
listed the marinade separately this very important distinction would
be unnecessary. What if someone can't count? You don't want to be
insensitive to the numerically challenged do you? Can we count you in?

•Pour marinade over steak and completely cover.
•Place in fridge and marinate 2 hours or overnight, turning
occasionally.

Why turn if it's completely covered? Redunant. Ziploc bags are
unbeatable for marinading in BTW.

I'd not thought to add red wine to my soy based marinades though, have
to give it a try.

Soy is very salty and this is a heavy marinade which makes it a little
less versatile. i.e. you wouldn't want to use this flank steak in a
burrito, it should be eaten on it's own, probably with rice to offset
the hearty flavors this would have.

A citrus marinade is my current favorite for flank steak. What's some
others?

And chris? RFC is more of a recipe newsgroup if you're looking to
share those, we're more process oriented since our basic has 3
ingredients: meat, heat, smoke.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:35 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 12, 10:30*am, chris wrote:
[...]

Don't forget plenty of hot air too

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-10-2009, 11:07 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 12, 10:30 am, chris wrote:
[...]

Chris's post is a very interesting outdoor cooking recipe. Most wouldn't
consider combining shiraz with soy, particularly that much soy. You're even
going to try it. It unquestionably belongs on this NG. You could also post
it on RFC, though it also belongs here.

This is a non moderated NG. Whatever the mission was of the original
founder[s], this NG is about cooking outdoors and what readers and posters
define as barbecue right now, today. You can screech and yell otherwise but
that's what it is. Nothing is going to change that. I'll bet 75% of the
outdoor cooking by readers and posters on this NG is on a gas grill a good
fraction of the time. A substantial fraction grill over charcoal "yes,
grill". A fraction of the charcoal grilling is indirectly roasting with or
without wood. A small fraction on this NG actually smoke frequently in a
smoker. Some of those, thank god, even smoke with charcoal instead of gas.
Most of us smoke or "que" or "BBQ" now and then, though relatively
infrequently.

BTW, shiraz has a unique flavor. It's not comparable to Gallo

Didn't you mean "meat, heat, smoke" and ****, bitch, scream, and other.

Ed

..

Old 12-10-2009, 11:20 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 12, 3:05*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" [email protected]
september.invalid wrote:
Duwop said:

And chris? RFC is more of a recipe newsgroup if you're looking to
share those, we're more process oriented since our basic has 3
ingredients: meat, heat, smoke.

Seriously? You're saying people shouldn't post any recipes here?

Please point out where in my post I made that statement. Saying a
different NG is MORE something implies here is LESS. Less is, last
time I looked, more than NEVER. By something along the lines of
infinite more.

As it's his FIRST post I did wish to share with him the tidbit that
recipe sharing isn't really what this group's about.
Sure, during the course of conversations they come up. And as you say,
some good ones. But the primary thing isn't posting "recipes". I
pointed out a more appropriate NG if that is really what's he's
looking for, thinking I was being helpful.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

september.invalid wrote:
Duwop said:

And chris? RFC is more of a recipe newsgroup if you're looking to
share those, we're more process oriented since our basic has 3
ingredients: meat, heat, smoke.

Seriously? You're saying people shouldn't post any recipes here?

Please point out where in my post I made that statement. Saying a
different NG is MORE something implies here is LESS. Less is, last
time I looked, more than NEVER. By something along the lines of
infinite more.

As it's his FIRST post I did wish to share with him the tidbit that
recipe sharing isn't really what this group's about.
Sure, during the course of conversations they come up. And as you say,
some good ones. But the primary thing isn't posting "recipes". I
pointed out a more appropriate NG if that is really what's he's
looking for, thinking I was being helpful.

And I am sure you were.

This imperfect communications medium called Usenet can not relay vocal
tone, facial expressions, or body posture, as I'm sure you well know.
One person (me) sure understood what you were doing, someone else
might not.

I really wouldn't sweat it.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 13-10-2009, 12:00 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:

This is a non moderated NG. Whatever the mission was of the original
founder[s], this NG is about cooking outdoors and what readers and
posters define as barbecue right now, today.

Says who? Are YOU now the moderator that YOU claim doesn't exist?

You can screech and yell

You can keep being our bitch-slapped fool.

otherwise but that's what it is. Nothing is going to change that.

Change what? You're the only shit-fer-brains septic-sucker who keeps this
line of crap going.

I'll bet

You're not qualified to bet.

75% of the outdoor cooking by readers and posters on this NG
is on a gas grill a good fraction of the time. A substantial
fraction grill over charcoal "yes, grill". A fraction of the
charcoal grilling is indirectly roasting with or without wood. A
small fraction on this NG actually smoke frequently in a smoker. Some
of those, thank god, even smoke with charcoal instead of gas. Most of
us smoke or "que" or "BBQ" now and then, though relatively
infrequently.

This is typical Kent babble-drool. You have no idea what anyone does, over
what course of time, and yet that doesn't stop you from making an incredibly
long-winded idiotic statement. The typical Kent "counting and arguing about
the number of angels dancing on the head of a pin".

Now, let's have a show of hands of those who know what we do in this NG?

BTW, shiraz has a unique flavor. It's not comparable to Gallo

BTW, your opinion has a long history of being nothing but a steady stream of
raw sewage.

Didn't you mean "meat, heat, smoke" and ****, bitch, scream, and
other.

No. He meant that you are so cocked up that you need to FOAD.
--
Dave

Old 13-10-2009, 12:02 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

I think this NG has been taken over by the Kent clones and now
everyone is ready to assume anyone they don't know is just another
troll. I'd like to go back to the group being controlled by the
contributors and not by the trolls.

Good thought.

--
Dave

Old 13-10-2009, 03:02 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

Please KF me. That will help everyone.

Ed

Old 13-10-2009, 03:31 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" wrote:
Duwop said:
And chris? RFC is more of a recipe newsgroup if you're looking to
share those, we're more process oriented since our basic has 3
ingredients: meat, heat, smoke.

Seriously? You're saying people shouldn't post any recipes here? That's a
shame, considering who has posted recipes here in the past, and without
similar criticism.

Personally, I appreciate the recipes I find here, and there are a bunch
of really good cooks in this newsgroup whose recipes are well worth
reading. That, combined with far better noise to signal and poser/troll
to contributor ratios here than in RFC, and I have no problem with it at
all.

Never been to RFC and have no intention of going there. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Old 13-10-2009, 03:37 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 12, 7:02*pm, "Theron" wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

Please KF me. That will help everyone.

Ed

Even better, don't go where you're not welcome. THAT will help
everyone, but that's been made clear already hasn't it?
How much clearer can it be made Kent? People know you for a troll,
treat you as a troll, and despise you, yet you come back for more.
That's ****ing sad dude.

I know, I know, it's common sense and makes you responsible for
yourself rather than someone else being responsible for your actions.
But I'm funny that way, I think people should show both these traits.

Kent, why the morphing? Smells like troll doesn't it. Ashamed of your
previous identity? How's this one working out? It's got to be wierd to
be acknowledging your previous slimelife, while signing off as "Ed".
Is that like the comedy show's "special Ed"?

Old 13-10-2009, 04:40 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" wrote in message

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

Please KF me. That will help everyone.

Ed

Like Marty, I'm a bit tired of the fighting. Having to weigh the
knowledge and contributions of the flame war participants, I'm
afraid that you, Theron, are the least valuable participant and
therefore are history for me. Bye.
--
Nonny

Live a good and honorable life.
Then when you get older and
think back, you'll enjoy it
a second time.

Old 13-10-2009, 06:40 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12-Oct-2009, "Theron" wrote:

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

Please KF me. That will help everyone.

Ed

Your wish is my command.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Old 13-10-2009, 05:10 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 12, 3:29*pm, Gene wrote:

And I am sure you were.

You have an advanced sense of humor though. g

Where you at? We got a few Californians, New Englander's, Texans and
Floridians and a smattering of mid-westerners. Where you hail from
Gene?

Old 13-10-2009, 07:19 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:10:41 -0700 (PDT), Duwop
wrote:

On Oct 12, 3:29*pm, Gene wrote:

And I am sure you were.

You have an advanced sense of humor though. g

Where you at? We got a few Californians, New Englander's, Texans and
Floridians and a smattering of mid-westerners. Where you hail from
Gene?

Chicago Land

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson

Grilled Flank Steak koko General Cooking 132 16-07-2009 05:24 PM
(REC) Grilled Flank Steak S'mee [AKA Jani] General Cooking 1 06-08-2005 01:46 AM
Red Wine-Rosemary Grilled Flank Steak With Grilled Vegetables 7 Hawks Recipes 0 29-06-2005 11:50 PM
Grilled Flank Steak Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-04-2005 03:33 PM
Grilled Flank Steak - 2 Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-03-2005 12:09 AM