FoodBanter.com

-   -   dry rub for pork tri-tip? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/177751-dry-rub-pork-tri.html)

theron 11-10-2009 05:49 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

I want to sear a pork tri-tip, let it cool, and then smoke it at a very low
temp. 200, if I can get down that far, until the thermometer reads 130F.
Then to let it rest while the meat rises to 130F. As far as I can tell, and
after talking to my butcher, the tri-tip is from the loin somewhere. I think
it's one of those California terms applied onlyl here, like Chateaubriand
applied to sirloin rather than tenderloin.

What seasonings to try? Do you dry rub and sauté afterwards. With an initial
sear should I not apply a dry rub? Would you dry rub, smoke at 200F and sear
afterwards?

Thanks for any ideas.

Ed

Dimitri 11-10-2009 08:39 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Theron" > wrote in message
>I want to sear a pork tri-tip, let it cool, and then smoke it at a very low
>temp. 200, if I can get down that far, until the thermometer reads 130F.
>Then to let it rest while the meat rises to 130F. As far as I can tell, and
>after talking to my butcher, the tri-tip is from the loin somewhere. I
>think it's one of those California terms applied onlyl here, like
>Chateaubriand applied to sirloin rather than tenderloin.
>
> What seasonings to try? Do you dry rub and sauté afterwards. With an
> initial sear should I not apply a dry rub? Would you dry rub, smoke at
> 200F and sear afterwards?
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Ed

IMHO cooking pork to only 130 is dangerous.

--
Dimitri
Coming soon:

theron 11-10-2009 09:10 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Theron" > wrote in message
>>I want to sear a pork tri-tip, let it cool, and then smoke it at a very
>>low temp. 200, if I can get down that far, until the thermometer reads
>>130F. Then to let it rest while the meat rises to 130F. As far as I can
>>tell, and after talking to my butcher, the tri-tip is from the loin
>>somewhere. I think it's one of those California terms applied onlyl here,
>>like Chateaubriand applied to sirloin rather than tenderloin.
>>
>> What seasonings to try? Do you dry rub and sauté afterwards. With an
>> initial sear should I not apply a dry rub? Would you dry rub, smoke at
>> 200F and sear afterwards?
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas.
>>
>> Ed

> IMHO cooking pork to only 130 is dangerous.
>

> --
> Dimitri
> Coming soon:
> http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

If you cook to 130F the temp should rise to 135F when you rest it. You could
probably make a case for going to 135F and resting to 140F. Our local high
brow gourmet California restauants also cook pork to this temp. I think this
was started by Alice Waters of Chez Panisse fame. There are from 10-20 cases
of trichinosis in the US annually and almost all come from non domestic
animal consumption, like deer, etc. The risk, if purchased from a commercial
supplier that follows FDA standards is extremely low. In the old days we
went to 165F-170F. We don't anymore.

Ed

Dimitri 11-10-2009 10:28 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Theron" > wrote in message
>>>I want to sear a pork tri-tip, let it cool, and then smoke it at a very
>>>low temp. 200, if I can get down that far, until the thermometer reads
>>>130F. Then to let it rest while the meat rises to 130F. As far as I can
>>>tell, and after talking to my butcher, the tri-tip is from the loin
>>>somewhere. I think it's one of those California terms applied onlyl here,
>>>like Chateaubriand applied to sirloin rather than tenderloin.
>>>
>>> What seasonings to try? Do you dry rub and sauté afterwards. With an
>>> initial sear should I not apply a dry rub? Would you dry rub, smoke at
>>> 200F and sear afterwards?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any ideas.
>>>
>>> Ed

>> IMHO cooking pork to only 130 is dangerous.
>>

>> --
>> Dimitri
>> Coming soon:
>> http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.
>>

> If you cook to 130F the temp should rise to 135F when you rest it. You
> could probably make a case for going to 135F and resting to 140F. Our
> local high brow gourmet California restauants also cook pork to this temp.
> I think this was started by Alice Waters of Chez Panisse fame. There are
> from 10-20 cases of trichinosis in the US annually and almost all come
> from non domestic animal consumption, like deer, etc. The risk, if
> purchased from a commercial supplier that follows FDA standards is
> extremely low. In the old days we went to 165F-170F. We don't anymore.
>
> Ed

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/...wers/index.asp

Salmonella:
COOK: Cook to Safe Temperatures
Use a clean food thermometer when measuring the internal temperature of
meat, poultry, casseroles, and other foods to make sure they have reached a
safe minimum internal temperatu
Beef, veal, and lamb steaks, roasts, and chops to 145 °F.
All cuts of pork to 160 °F.
Ground beef, veal and lamb to 160 °F.
Egg dishes, casseroles to 160 °F.
All poultry should reach a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F.
Stuffed poultry is not recommended. Cook stuffing separately to 165 °F.
Leftovers to 165 °F.
Fish should reach 145 °F as measured with a food thermometer.
Bring sauces, soups, and gravy to a boil when reheating.
Reheat other leftovers thoroughly to at least 165 °F.

Better answer:

http://askville.amazon.com/temperatu...uestId=1829676

Generally,should be cooked at temperatures above 140F/60C.Core temperature
of 75C or more destroys all harmful bacteria"

Stormmmee 11-10-2009 11:29 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

your "we" might not but my "we " would never take that risk, i hold a food
sanatiaon liscense, and for that reason alone would never eat anything
cooked to that temp, but the legal liability of doing it and selling it
against, fs guidelines would scare the snot out of me and my liability ins
agent, Lee

--
Have a great day

theron 11-10-2009 11:44 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Theron" > wrote in message

>>> IMHO cooking pork to only 130 is dangerous.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Dimitri
>>> Coming soon:
>>> http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.
>>>

>> If you cook to 130F the temp should rise to 135F when you rest it. You
>> could probably make a case for going to 135F and resting to 140F. Our
>> local high brow gourmet California restauants also cook pork to this
>> temp. I think this was started by Alice Waters of Chez Panisse fame.
>> There are from 10-20 cases of trichinosis in the US annually and almost
>> all come from non domestic animal consumption, like deer, etc. The risk,
>> if purchased from a commercial supplier that follows FDA standards is
>> extremely low. In the old days we went to 165F-170F. We don't anymore.
>>
>> Ed

> http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/...wers/index.asp
>

> Salmonella:
> COOK: Cook to Safe Temperatures
> Use a clean food thermometer when measuring the internal temperature of
> meat, poultry, casseroles, and other foods to make sure they have reached
> a safe minimum internal temperatu
> Beef, veal, and lamb steaks, roasts, and chops to 145 °F.
> All cuts of pork to 160 °F.
> Ground beef, veal and lamb to 160 °F.
> Egg dishes, casseroles to 160 °F.
> All poultry should reach a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F.
> Stuffed poultry is not recommended. Cook stuffing separately to 165 °F.
> Leftovers to 165 °F.
> Fish should reach 145 °F as measured with a food thermometer.
> Bring sauces, soups, and gravy to a boil when reheating.
> Reheat other leftovers thoroughly to at least 165 °F.
>
> Better answer:
>
> http://askville.amazon.com/temperatu...uestId=1829676
>

> Generally,should be cooked at temperatures above 140F/60C.Core temperature
> of 75C or more destroys all harmful bacteria"
>

> --
> Dimitri
> Coming soon:
> http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

I recognize that's the rhetoric of the feds. However, what do you think the
internal temp. of this filet mignon at a Ruth's Chris Steak House is? I'll
vote for 115F in the center.

Ed

theron 11-10-2009 11:45 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

Sorry, I failed to post the URL. http://www.ruthschris.com/Menu/Steaks

DougW[_2_] 12-10-2009 12:07 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

Theron wrote:

> I recognize that's the rhetoric of the feds. However, what do you
> think the internal temp. of this filet mignon at a Ruth's Chris Steak
> House is? I'll vote for 115F in the center.

That's steak, solid muscle. As long as the outside is cooked enough to
kill bacteria then you will be fine.

Pork, chicken, different aminals.

--
DougW

Dave Bugg 12-10-2009 12:09 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

Theron wrote:

> Sorry, I failed to post the URL. http://www.ruthschris.com/Menu/Steaks

Aw fer christ's sake, just FOAD.

--
Dave

Gene 12-10-2009 12:31 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 09:49:57 -0700, "Theron" >
wrote:

>I want to sear a pork tri-tip, let it cool, and then smoke it at a very low
>temp. 200, if I can get down that far, until the thermometer reads 130F.
>Then to let it rest while the meat rises to 130F. As far as I can tell, and
>after talking to my butcher, the tri-tip is from the loin somewhere. I think
>it's one of those California terms applied onlyl here, like Chateaubriand
>applied to sirloin rather than tenderloin.
>
>What seasonings to try? Do you dry rub and sauté afterwards. With an initial
>sear should I not apply a dry rub? Would you dry rub, smoke at 200F and sear
>afterwards?
>
>Thanks for any ideas.
>
>Ed

The real question is if you are going to cook it that low, why not
cook it at 130F till the meat hits that temp? Might as well.

Why would you sear it?

Read the BBQ list. Everything you need to know is there.

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq/toc.html

Go to 10.2.1

Gene

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"
Thomas Jefferson

theron 12-10-2009 01:41 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Theron wrote:
>
>> I recognize that's the rhetoric of the feds. However, what do you
>> think the internal temp. of this filet mignon at a Ruth's Chris Steak
>> House is? I'll vote for 115F in the center.

> That's steak, solid muscle. As long as the outside is cooked enough to
> kill bacteria then you will be fine.
>
> Pork, chicken, different aminals.
>
> --
> DougW

I'm afraid that's not true. The FDA is not saying that only the surface has
to be a certain temp.

Ed

theron 12-10-2009 02:08 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 09:49:57 -0700, "Theron" >
> wrote:
>
>>I want to sear a pork tri-tip, let it cool, and then smoke it at a very
>>low
>>temp. 200, if I can get down that far, until the thermometer reads 130F.
>>Then to let it rest while the meat rises to 130F. As far as I can tell,
>>and
>>after talking to my butcher, the tri-tip is from the loin somewhere. I
>>think
>>it's one of those California terms applied onlyl here, like Chateaubriand
>>applied to sirloin rather than tenderloin.
>>
>>What seasonings to try? Do you dry rub and sauté afterwards. With an
>>initial
>>sear should I not apply a dry rub? Would you dry rub, smoke at 200F and
>>sear
>>afterwards?
>>
>>Thanks for any ideas.
>>
>>Ed
>>

> The real question is if you are going to cook it that low, why not
> cook it at 130F till the meat hits that temp? Might as well.
>
> Why would you sear it?
>
> Read the BBQ list. Everything you need to know is there.
>
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq/toc.html
>
> Go to 10.2.1
>
> Gene

The idea is to bring the meat temp up to where you want it at so many
degrees per unit time. The "sous vide" mode of cooking does that, by vacumn
sealing the meat, and slowly warming it to a destinatioin temp. in water
that is just a few degrees over the end temp. I'm interested in doing
something similar on the smoker.

The tri tip of pork is part of the sirloin. I want to very slowly bring up
to 135F, turn the heat off, and let it rise to 140-145F. I thought about
searing it but decided against it.

I have seared and slow cooked a beef eye of round to rare, or 125F. It was
very good, in some way equal to a standing rib.

Ed

theron 12-10-2009 02:25 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
> your "we" might not but my "we " would never take that risk, i hold a food
> sanatiaon liscense, and for that reason alone would never eat anything
> cooked to that temp, but the legal liability of doing it and selling it
> against, fs guidelines would scare the snot out of me and my liability ins
> agent, Lee

Again, what about this? http://www.ruthschris.com/Menu/Steaks
The center of that filet is not more than 115F, if that.

Ed

Nick Cramer 12-10-2009 02:30 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Stormmmee" > wrote:
> your "we" might not but my "we " would never take that risk, i hold a
> food sanatiaon liscense, and for that reason alone would never eat
> anything cooked to that temp, but the legal liability of doing it and
> selling it against, fs guidelines would scare the snot out of me and my
> liability ins agent, Lee

My wife, Jun, has a food sanitation license, from when she owned a
restaurant. Home cooking is different, IMHO. Also, when I go to the Tinhorn
Flats Cafe and order a 'burger, I send this note to the cook:

"I want a cheeseburger with the patty cooked charred blood rare.

I don't give a damn about government regulations that tell me how I have to
have my food cooked!

It's my body, my choice, my responsibility!

Please cook it the way I want it or tell me to leave!

I'd also like an extra slice of dill pickle, please. Thanks."

I always get what I want. Two beer 'burger. Mayo for the fries.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

theron 12-10-2009 02:53 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmmee" > wrote:
>> your "we" might not but my "we " would never take that risk, i hold a
>> food sanatiaon liscense, and for that reason alone would never eat
>> anything cooked to that temp, but the legal liability of doing it and
>> selling it against, fs guidelines would scare the snot out of me and my
>> liability ins agent, Lee

> My wife, Jun, has a food sanitation license, from when she owned a
> restaurant. Home cooking is different, IMHO. Also, when I go to the
> Tinhorn
> Flats Cafe and order a 'burger, I send this note to the cook:
>
> "I want a cheeseburger with the patty cooked charred blood rare.
>
> I don't give a damn about government regulations that tell me how I have
> have my food cooked!
>
> It's my body, my choice, my responsibility!
>
> Please cook it the way I want it or tell me to leave!
>
> I'd also like an extra slice of dill pickle, please. Thanks."
>
> I always get what I want. Two beer 'burger. Mayo for the fries.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Why is home cooking different? We have char-rare beef routinely. One must
wonder how the restaurant deals with their liability with this issue.
However, I don't think any restaurant follows the standards in Dimitri's
post, except those on skid row.

Ed

theron 12-10-2009 04:51 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Theron wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I failed to post the URL. http://www.ruthschris.com/Menu/Steaks

> Aw fer christ's sake, just FOAD.
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Shut Up

Dimitri 12-10-2009 07:08 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> "Stormmmee" > wrote:
>>> your "we" might not but my "we " would never take that risk, i hold a
>>> food sanatiaon liscense, and for that reason alone would never eat
>>> anything cooked to that temp, but the legal liability of doing it and
>>> selling it against, fs guidelines would scare the snot out of me and my
>>> liability ins agent, Lee

>> My wife, Jun, has a food sanitation license, from when she owned a
>> restaurant. Home cooking is different, IMHO. Also, when I go to the
>> Tinhorn
>> Flats Cafe and order a 'burger, I send this note to the cook:
>>
>> "I want a cheeseburger with the patty cooked charred blood rare.
>>
>> I don't give a damn about government regulations that tell me how I have
>> have my food cooked!
>>
>> It's my body, my choice, my responsibility!
>>
>> Please cook it the way I want it or tell me to leave!
>>
>> I'd also like an extra slice of dill pickle, please. Thanks."
>>
>> I always get what I want. Two beer 'burger. Mayo for the fries.
>>
>> --
>> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
>> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
>> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
>> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
>>

> Why is home cooking different? We have char-rare beef routinely. One must
> wonder how the restaurant deals with their liability with this issue.
> However, I don't think any restaurant follows the standards in Dimitri's
> post, except those on skid row.
>
> Ed

Actually beef has a very different set of standards and maladies - Therefore
beef can be served rare in the case of solid muscle like steak HOWEVER in
most cases unless the restaurant is grinding their own beef most will tell
you they will not cook a thick burger RARE. If you accept the
responsibility then some will cook the beef rare. Remember the Jack in the
box problem in the Pacific northwest several years ago - do you follow all
the beef recalls?

It's much the same a eggs sunny side up or over easy home made mayo - many
places carry a warning right on the many transferring liability.

Dimitri 12-10-2009 07:17 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:10:23 -0700, Theron wrote:
>
>> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>
>>> IMHO cooking pork to only 130 is dangerous.

> Stop living in the 40's. Pork is as safe as sashimi nowadays. I
> eat raw ham ("ready to cook") all the time. Raw, unseasoned pork
> does not make a good a sashimi however.
>
> I cook my pork to 140-145F
>
> -sw

I just love misinformation...........

http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_Trichinosis.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/10/op...cwilliams.html

The study published in the journal Foodborne Pathogens and Disease that
brought these findings to light last year sampled more than 600 pigs in
North Carolina, Ohio and Wisconsin. The study, financed by the National Pork
Board, discovered not only higher rates of salmonella in free-range pigs (54
percent versus 39 percent) but also greater levels of the pathogen
toxoplasma (6.8 percent versus 1.1 percent) and, most alarming, two
free-range pigs that carried the parasite trichina (as opposed to zero for
confined pigs). For many years, the pork industry has been assuring cooks
that a little pink in the pork is fine. Trichinosis, which can be deadly,
was assumed to be history.

Dave Bugg 12-10-2009 07:31 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

Theron wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Theron wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I failed to post the URL.
>>> http://www.ruthschris.com/Menu/Steaks

>> Aw fer christ's sake, just FOAD.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven
>> before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan
>>

> Shut Up

FOAD
--
Dave

Dave Bugg 12-10-2009 07:34 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

Dimitri wrote:

> Actually beef has a very different set of standards and maladies -
> Therefore beef can be served rare in the case of solid muscle like
> steak HOWEVER in most cases unless the restaurant is grinding their
> own beef most will tell you they will not cook a thick burger RARE. If you
> accept the responsibility then some will cook the beef rare. Remember the
> Jack in the box problem in the Pacific northwest several
> years ago - do you follow all the beef recalls?
>
> It's much the same a eggs sunny side up or over easy home made mayo -
> many places carry a warning right on the many transferring liability.

The ****er is terminally stupid, Dimitri. He uses beef as his exhibit A of
what he wishes to believe about pork. He is the only person you'll ever meet
that believes apples vs oranges comparisons are super-dooper.

--
Dave

Gene 12-10-2009 09:23 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

On 12 Oct 2009 01:30:41 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>"Stormmmee" > wrote:
>> your "we" might not but my "we " would never take that risk, i hold a
>> food sanatiaon liscense, and for that reason alone would never eat
>> anything cooked to that temp, but the legal liability of doing it and
>> selling it against, fs guidelines would scare the snot out of me and my
>> liability ins agent, Lee

>My wife, Jun, has a food sanitation license, from when she owned a
>restaurant. Home cooking is different, IMHO. Also, when I go to the Tinhorn
>Flats Cafe and order a 'burger, I send this note to the cook:
>
>"I want a cheeseburger with the patty cooked charred blood rare.
>
>I don't give a damn about government regulations that tell me how I have to
>have my food cooked!
>
>It's my body, my choice, my responsibility!
>
>Please cook it the way I want it or tell me to leave!
>
>I'd also like an extra slice of dill pickle, please. Thanks."
>
>I always get what I want. Two beer 'burger. Mayo for the fries.

That would have done it at my restaurant.

I even created a form. Any steak or burger that a customer ordered
rare, the wait person would present the form and explain it. Not one
person ever refused to sign the form.

We decided to open for breakfast, we were a Bar, restaurant, night
club. It was a was to make extra money and to use the space in the
mornings. Made another form for eggs. No one refused to sign it either
if they wanted eggs done they way they wanted them.

Never ever had an issue.

Gene 12-10-2009 09:27 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 23:34:42 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Dimitri wrote:
>
>> Actually beef has a very different set of standards and maladies -
>> Therefore beef can be served rare in the case of solid muscle like
>> steak HOWEVER in most cases unless the restaurant is grinding their
>> own beef most will tell you they will not cook a thick burger RARE. If you
>> accept the responsibility then some will cook the beef rare. Remember the
>> Jack in the box problem in the Pacific northwest several
>> years ago - do you follow all the beef recalls?
>>
>> It's much the same a eggs sunny side up or over easy home made mayo -
>> many places carry a warning right on the many transferring liability.

>The ****er is terminally stupid, Dimitri. He uses beef as his exhibit A of
>what he wishes to believe about pork. He is the only person you'll ever meet
>that believes apples vs oranges comparisons are super-dooper.

I myself am getting real tired of this.

WTF?

Ask a frikin question that makes sense, not a "I plan to make ostridge
eggs using liquid propane, how long should it take to smoke it using
alder if the outside temp is 97 degrees and I set my smoker to 150 at
noon on the 14th of June during an ice storm.

WTF?

OK, back on my med's....

Stormmmee 12-10-2009 03:07 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

first off since you didn't cook it you don't know, only iif i saw written
confirmation of their cooking temps from them would i think it was that
cold, second you asked for opinions and i gave you mine, third, DH ate in
one of those rc chain resturants and didn't care for the product or
cleanlyness. now what you do in your own home and what risk you want to take
is entirely up to you but even i a total bbq novice have the sense to ask
for an opinion and take it for what it is not try and change other people's
minds, Lee

--
Have a great day

Stormmmee 12-10-2009 03:11 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

i totally agree that home cooking is different than commercial, but he asked
my opinion, and he got it, if i am at home, knnow where the meat came from
and know where it was processed, of course i might do things differently...
and you trust the cook at your local eatery, this also works after trust is
built...

eating out is a treat and part of that treat is being pampered and having it
your way... mayo on the fries works for me,

Lee

--
Have a great day

Stormmmee 12-10-2009 03:12 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

i guess you could ask jack in the box? Lee

--
Have a great day

Stormmmee 12-10-2009 03:14 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

ps home cooking is different because you are not cooking and representing
yourself as an expert, if june wants to let nick have steak tar tar then she
does, if june sells steak tar tar and a customer gets sick, then there is a
lwa suit and lots of stress, worse that happens if nick croaks is june gets
his ins policy,,, Lee

--
Have a great day

Dimitri 12-10-2009 04:52 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>
>> Actually beef has a very different set of standards and maladies -
>> Therefore beef can be served rare in the case of solid muscle like
>> steak HOWEVER in most cases unless the restaurant is grinding their
>> own beef most will tell you they will not cook a thick burger RARE. If
>> you accept the responsibility then some will cook the beef rare.
>> Remember the Jack in the box problem in the Pacific northwest several
>> years ago - do you follow all the beef recalls?
>>
>> It's much the same a eggs sunny side up or over easy home made mayo -
>> many places carry a warning right on the many transferring liability.

> The ****er is terminally stupid, Dimitri. He uses beef as his exhibit A of
> what he wishes to believe about pork. He is the only person you'll ever
> meet that believes apples vs oranges comparisons are super-dooper.
>
> --
> Dave

LOL -

Dave Bugg 12-10-2009 09:07 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

Gene wrote:

> Ask a frikin question that makes sense, not a "I plan to make ostridge
> eggs using liquid propane, how long should it take to smoke it using
> alder if the outside temp is 97 degrees and I set my smoker to 150 at
> noon on the 14th of June during an ice storm.

LOL!!!!
--
Dave

theron 12-10-2009 09:16 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
> first off since you didn't cook it you don't know, only iif i saw written
> confirmation of their cooking temps from them would i think it was that
> cold, second you asked for opinions and i gave you mine, third, DH ate in
> one of those rc chain resturants and didn't care for the product or
> cleanlyness. now what you do in your own home and what risk you want to
> take is entirely up to you but even i a total bbq novice have the sense to
> ask for an opinion and take it for what it is not try and change other
> people's minds, Lee

I think the Ruth's Chris picture pretty much indicates what we all strive
for when we stand over the charcoal fire. The internal temp. of that steak
is no more than 115F.

Ed

Gene 12-10-2009 10:34 PM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 13:07:10 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Gene wrote:
>
>> Ask a frikin question that makes sense, not a "I plan to make ostridge
>> eggs using liquid propane, how long should it take to smoke it using
>> alder if the outside temp is 97 degrees and I set my smoker to 150 at
>> noon on the 14th of June during an ice storm.

>LOL!!!!

Sometimes I slay me!

It is friggin absurd.

Gene 13-10-2009 12:42 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 17:51:09 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 03:23:13 -0500, Gene wrote:
>
>> I even created a form. Any steak or burger that a customer ordered
>> rare, the wait person would present the form and explain it. Not one
>> person ever refused to sign the form.

>That would scare me away for sure. I always order medium burgers
>and rare or med-rare steaks and have never been asked to sign a
>form.
>
>I would walk right out if they had to lecture me on ordering rare
>steaks and made me sign a form.
>
>> Never ever had an issue.

>I can't believe that. A form is just plain ridiculous. It's no
>wonder that form never caught on with the rest of the restaurant
>business.
>
>-sw

No it is not ridiculous.

We had a 20 yo restaurant that went out because of contaminated ground
beef, beef that was contaminated at the plant! This guy put 20 years
into his place and went under because of bad press. He was serving
burgers the way the CUSTOMER ordered them. They got sick because of
poor factory standards and poor government inspectors. I was not the
only place in town that required a waiver for rare and med. rare meat.

You drop a $100,000 or so into a joint and then tell me how stupid a
lil waiver for semi raw meat is.

Stormmmee 13-10-2009 12:47 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

exactly, Lee

--
Have a great day

Gene 13-10-2009 02:34 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:25:05 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:42:28 -0500, Gene wrote:
>
>> You drop a $100,000 or so into a joint and then tell me how stupid a
>> lil waiver for semi raw meat is.

>It will not have much effect in court. It will not keep you from
>going under. After all, you said the guy folded because of bad
>press, not from liability issues.
>
>Get your beef from a reliable supplier or grind your own and you
>won't have to protect yourself with legal forms.
>
>I repeat: Signing a form for steak and eggs is unheard of in the
>restaurant business. I really wonder if you know anything about
>restaurant operation at all.
>
>-sw

And I wonder if you are really 14.

You ****ing calling me a liar? Call me an ass hole, jerk, pig,...but
not a liar.

Why you hang out here when most people here just barely tolerate your
pompous attitude is beyond me.

You are full of shit as often as you are correct, which mean you have
ZERO credibility.

You can repeat anything you want as long as you want, it still does
not mean you know jack shit. It is NOT unheard of.

Do you have any understanding how many people you have driven off this
group?

Unheard of????? WTF is this:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/he...imers-1.503288

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_92149085/

http://www.ecoliblog.com/2006/05/art...re-meat-is-ok/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/3698416.stm

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/458792

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nt-sue-us.html

http://overlawyered.com/early-years/...chives-part-2/

NOT UNHEARD OF. Well, maybe unheard of by YOU, and lets face it, you
know EVERYTHING.

Call me a liar?

Dick.

I owned and operated "Our Place-Pizza, Bar & Grill" in Helen Georgia.
Want me to scan a copy of our menu and send it to you?

Next time it might do you some good to think, I know it isn't easy for
you, before you star bashing people that you a. do not know, and b.
know nothing about.

I only have one raw nerve, and you just stepped on it.

Nick Cramer 13-10-2009 03:22 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Stormmmee" > wrote:
> ps home cooking is different because you are not cooking and representing
> yourself as an expert, if june wants to let nick have steak tar tar then
> she does, if june sells steak tar tar and a customer gets sick, then
> there is a lwa suit and lots of stress, worse that happens if nick croaks
> is june gets his ins policy,,, Lee

[ . . . ]

I killfiled "theron" a while back. I don't have any insurance.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Stormmmee 13-10-2009 03:32 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

i might have to do the same... and i bet she cooks your meat past possible
contamination or makes sure you eat at good places then... and probably
likes you enough to keep you around anyway...lee

--
Have a great day

Gene 13-10-2009 03:42 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:41:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:34:03 -0500, Gene wrote:
>
>> Do you have any understanding how many people you have driven off this
>> group?

>Looks like I have one more to take care of.
>
>> Unheard of????? WTF is this:
>>
>> http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/he...imers-1.503288

>This pertains to take out food only. In Dubai <snork>
>
>> http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_92149085/

>Britain. And they were not waivers, as reported. Matter of fact
>they did not confirm that any restaurant required waivers. It's
>still Britain, though. We are referring to US restaurant customs,
>BTW.
>
>> http://www.ecoliblog.com/2006/05/art...re-meat-is-ok/

>First line:
>
>"Posted on May 15, 2006 by E. coli Lawyer"
>
>Sorry. That's three strikes. I caught enough wild goose for
>tonight. Time to cook them! In your honor, I'll cook them well
>done, you silly goose.
>
>[rest snipped unread]
>
>-sw

OK Kent.

Gene 13-10-2009 04:12 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:53:59 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:42:52 -0500, Gene wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:41:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Sorry. That's three strikes. I caught enough wild goose for
>>>tonight. Time to cook them! In your honor, I'll cook them well
>>>done, you silly goose.
>>>
>>>[rest snipped unread]

>> OK Kent.
>> Gene

>I'm Jerry Sauk *and* Kent?
>
>Damn - I must be a very busy man.
>
>That was a quick response, BTW. 1 minute and 10 seconds after I
>wrote it. Impressive! You must have been feverantly clicking "Get
>New Posts" for the last 66 minutes.
>
>-sw

I have way better things to do than to play with children.

Nick Cramer 13-10-2009 07:44 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

"Stormmmee" > wrote:
> i might have to do the same... and i bet she cooks your meat past
> possible contamination or makes sure you eat at good places then... and
> probably likes you enough to keep you around anyway...lee

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > [ . . . ]
> >
> > I killfiled "theron" a while back. I don't have any insurance.

The only time I see any parts of his posts is when somebody quotes them.

I can get beef, sashimi and oysters raw, although Jun won't eat any of
them. Everything else is either cured or cooked. We like each other. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Big Mo 14-10-2009 12:53 AM

[quote=Theron;1388812]I want to sear a pork tri-tip, let it cool, and then smoke it at a very low
temp. 200, if I can get down that far, until the thermometer reads 130F.
Then to let it rest while the meat rises to 130F. As far as I can tell, and
after talking to my butcher, the tri-tip is from the loin somewhere. I think
it's one of those California terms applied onlyl here, like Chateaubriand
applied to sirloin rather than tenderloin.

What seasonings to try? Do you dry rub and sauté afterwards. With an initial
sear should I not apply a dry rub? Would you dry rub, smoke at 200F and sear
afterwards?

Thanks for any ideas.

Ed

"Head Country" makes a great pork rub.

Stormmmee 14-10-2009 06:27 AM

dry rub for pork tri-tip?

i am with june on the oysters, but i do like the others... liking each other
is always good in a long term relationship... Lee, 30 years and counting

--
Have a great day