Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Fuel Cost Comparisons in Text format

Again, the BTU per pound of different brands of charcoals is not the same as
indicated. I'm also assuming 10,000 BTU per hour, which is variable, based
on cooking temp, and the size of the cooking unit. I've been unable to find
anything about the ingredients of the Sam's Walmart charcoal, and the Trader
Joe's charcoall is claimed to be 100% hardwood plus cornstarch to bind and
lump is wood.
cost weight/lb cost/lb btu/lb cost/10,000 BTU
Comp to propane Cost/5 hrs Cost/10 hrs

20 lb Propane $20.00 20 $1.00 21000 $0.48
100.00% $2.38 $4.76

Sam's Choice $5.27 18 $0.29 9000 $0.33
68.31% $1.63 $3.25

Trader Joe's $6.95 18 $0.39 9000 $0.43
90.09% $2.15 $4.29

"Lump" Charcoal varies varies $0.55 9000 $0.61
128.33% $3.06 $6.11

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message
> Again, the BTU per pound of different brands of charcoals is not the same
> as indicated. I'm also assuming 10,000 BTU per hour, which is variable,
> based on cooking temp, and the size of the cooking unit. I've been unable
> to find anything about the ingredients of the Sam's Walmart charcoal, and
> the Trader Joe's charcoall is claimed to be 100% hardwood plus cornstarch
> to bind and lump is wood.
> cost weight/lb cost/lb btu/lb cost/10,000
> BTU Comp to propane Cost/5 hrs Cost/10 hrs
>
> 20 lb Propane $20.00 20 $1.00 21000 $0.48 100.00%
> $2.38 $4.76
>
> Sam's Choice $5.27 18 $0.29 9000 $0.33 68.31%
> $1.63 $3.25
>
> Trader Joe's $6.95 18 $0.39 9000 $0.43 90.09%
> $2.15 $4.29
>
> "Lump" Charcoal varies varies $0.55 9000 $0.61 128.33%
> $3.06 $6.11

And the above didn't work either. In the right hand column, assuming a BTU
consumption rate of 10,000/hour, the cost per hour is indicated. Sam's
charcoal is pretty cheap, compared to lump. The left hand column incates
the fractional comparison to propane cost. As we know, there is substantial
difference between different charcoals, both brands, and types. The above
are only examples. Above the BTU's for charcoal are gross guesses.

Ed

I'm not aware that I've seen a cost of fuel per hour calculation on this NG
in the past.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 4, 3:19*pm, "Theron" > wrote:

> I'm not aware

That's painfully obvious Kent.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Duwop" > wrote in message
On Oct 4, 3:19 pm, "Theron" > wrote:

> I'm not aware

That's painfully obvious Kent.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. However, there has not been a post on
this NG that compares the cost of BTUs of different fuels we use when
smoking or grilling.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:
> "Duwop" > wrote in message
> On Oct 4, 3:19 pm, "Theron" > wrote:
>
>> I'm not aware

> That's painfully obvious Kent.
>>

> I'm not quite sure what you're saying. However, there has not been a
> post on this NG that compares the cost of BTUs of different fuels we
> use when smoking or grilling.

Yes there has.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Theron wrote:
>> "Duwop" > wrote in message
>> On Oct 4, 3:19 pm, "Theron" > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not aware

>> That's painfully obvious Kent.
>>>

>> I'm not quite sure what you're saying. However, there has not been a
>> post on this NG that compares the cost of BTUs of different fuels we
>> use when smoking or grilling.

> Yes there has.
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Please give us your reference, an AFB NG post that compares the dollar cost
of 10,000 BTUs[or any other number that would be appropriate] for different
grilling fuels, including propane, and the different brands and varities of
charcoal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Theron wrote:

>>> That's painfully obvious Kent.
>>>>

>>> I'm not quite sure what you're saying. However, there has not been a
>>> post on this NG that compares the cost of BTUs of different fuels we
>>> use when smoking or grilling.

>> Yes there has.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven
>> before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan
>>

> Please give us your reference, an AFB NG post that compares the
> dollar cost of 10,000 BTUs[or any other number that would be
> appropriate] for different grilling fuels, including propane, and the
> different brands and varities of charcoal.

From being a member, asshat. Now go back to counting angels.

Now please tell us all what real-life application this has, other than your
trying to convince the teacher that you're the smart kid in class with
constant hand-raising and blurting out irrelevant facts? Hell, you've taken
a half-dozen post to 'revise and extend' your smarm.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-Oct-2009, "Theron" > wrote:

> "Duwop" > wrote in message
> On Oct 4, 3:19 pm, "Theron" > wrote:
>
> > I'm not aware

> That's painfully obvious Kent.
> >

> I'm not quite sure what you're saying. However, there has not been a post
> on
> this NG that compares the cost of BTUs of different fuels we use when
> smoking or grilling.

In the six years I've been here, you're the only one that ever thought it
was relavant. Nobody that seriously cooks, gives a big rats AXXX
about the btu/hr of fuel. Not even the commercial folks care.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Theron wrote:
>> "Duwop" > wrote in message
>> On Oct 4, 3:19 pm, "Theron" > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not aware

>> That's painfully obvious Kent.
>>>

>> I'm not quite sure what you're saying. However, there has not been a
>> post on this NG that compares the cost of BTUs of different fuels we
>> use when smoking or grilling.

> Yes there has.

Again, please tell me where?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Theron wrote:

>>> Yes there has.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dave
>>> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven
>>> before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan
>>>

>> Please give us your reference, an AFB NG post that compares the
>> dollar cost of 10,000 BTUs[or any other number that would be
>> appropriate] for different grilling fuels, including propane, and the
>> different brands and varities of charcoal.

> From being a member, asshat. Now go back to counting angels.
>
> Now please tell us all what real-life application this has, other than
> your trying to convince the teacher that you're the smart kid in class
> with constant hand-raising and blurting out irrelevant facts? Hell, you've
> taken a half-dozen post to 'revise and extend' your smarm.
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Again, please answer my question.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ter.com...

> On 4-Oct-2009, "Theron" > wrote:
>
>> "Duwop" > wrote in message
>> On Oct 4, 3:19 pm, "Theron" > wrote:
>>
>> > I'm not aware

>> That's painfully obvious Kent.
>> >

>> I'm not quite sure what you're saying. However, there has not been a post
>> on
>> this NG that compares the cost of BTUs of different fuels we use when
>> smoking or grilling.

> In the six years I've been here, you're the only one that ever thought it
> was relavant. Nobody that seriously cooks, gives a big rats AXXX
> about the btu/hr of fuel. Not even the commercial folks care.
>
> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

I think when the fuel cost of smoking a pork shoulder is greater than the
cost of the meat we should consider that important. You bet the commercial
folks care about that.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Theron wrote:

>>> That's painfully obvious Kent.
>>>>

>>> I'm not quite sure what you're saying. However, there has not been a
>>> post on this NG that compares the cost of BTUs of different fuels we
>>> use when smoking or grilling.

>> Yes there has.
>>

> Again, please tell me where?

For cryin' out loud butt-munch, I ain't the archive. People have been
comparing costs of this fuel and that fuel and btu comparisons over the many
years. No one cared then, no one cares about your OCD weirdness now.

Now go back to counting angels.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Theron wrote:

>>> Please give us your reference, an AFB NG post that compares the
>>> dollar cost of 10,000 BTUs[or any other number that would be
>>> appropriate] for different grilling fuels, including propane, and
>>> the different brands and varities of charcoal.

>> From being a member, asshat. Now go back to counting angels.
>>
>> Now please tell us all what real-life application this has, other
>> than your trying to convince the teacher that you're the smart kid
>> in class with constant hand-raising and blurting out irrelevant
>> facts? Hell, you've taken a half-dozen post to 'revise and extend'
>> your smarm. --
>> Dave
>> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven
>> before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan
>>

> Again, please answer my question.

Kent, I ain't the ****in' archive. It's been done, said, and has blown away
in the wind. Now take you OCD elsewhere.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:

> I think when the fuel cost of smoking a pork shoulder is greater than
> the cost of the meat we should consider that important. You bet the
> commercial folks care about that.

Why, asshat? The cost of bbqing a shoulder is not passed on to the consumer
on a fixed cost basis. The TOTAL COST OF GOODS is the basis for setting a
price. I could care less if it costs me 500.00 to bbq a shoulder, as long as
I can gain a 30% margain.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Theron >spewed forth:
> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ter.com...
>>
>> On 4-Oct-2009, "Theron" > wrote:

>>> That's painfully obvious Kent.
>>>>

>>> I'm not quite sure what you're saying. However, there has not been
>>> a post on
>>> this NG that compares the cost of BTUs of different fuels we use
>>> when smoking or grilling.

>> In the six years I've been here, you're the only one that ever
>> thought it was relavant. Nobody that seriously cooks, gives a big
>> rats AXXX about the btu/hr of fuel. Not even the commercial folks care.
>>
>> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
>>

> I think when the fuel cost of smoking a pork shoulder is greater than
> the cost of the meat we should consider that important. You bet the
> commercial folks care about that.
>
> Ed

<delurking>
It's not about cost, it's about the enjoyment of doing it, sharing it, and
eating it.
Not to mention you can't buy anything close to what I cook.
To me cost does not even enter the equation.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 4, 9:53*pm, "Theron" > wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message
>
> ter.com...
>

> > On *4-Oct-2009, "Theron" > wrote:

> >> That's painfully obvious Kent.

> >> I'm not quite sure what you're saying. However, there has not been a post
> >> on
> >> this NG that compares the cost of BTUs of different fuels we use when
> >> smoking or grilling.

> > In the six years I've been here, you're the only one that ever thought it
> > was relavant. Nobody that seriously cooks, gives a big rats AXXX
> > about the btu/hr of fuel. Not even the commercial folks care.

> > Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

> I think when the fuel cost of smoking a pork shoulder is greater than the
> cost of the meat we should consider that important. You bet the commercial
> folks care about that.

You call that thinking? And that have absolutely nothing to do with
your original now does it? At least you're now admitting that your
original question was not thought out at all and basically more of
your attention seeking trolling.

Thanks for the confirmation of continued asshattery.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:

> I think when the fuel cost of smoking a pork shoulder is greater than the
> cost of the meat we should consider that important.
>
> Ed

</feed OCD mode on> You've got the numbers, tell me *when* that is
going to occur and why I should care. Also, who's this we you seem to be
speaking for- do they all live in Nick's Bozo bin with you?

Brian
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 14:29:31 -0700, "Theron" >
wrote:

>Again, the BTU per pound of different brands of charcoals is not the same as
>indicated. I'm also assuming 10,000 BTU per hour, which is variable, based
>on cooking temp, and the size of the cooking unit. I've been unable to find
>anything about the ingredients of the Sam's Walmart charcoal, and the Trader
>Joe's charcoall is claimed to be 100% hardwood plus cornstarch to bind and
>lump is wood.
> cost weight/lb cost/lb btu/lb cost/10,000 BTU
>Comp to propane Cost/5 hrs Cost/10 hrs
>
>20 lb Propane $20.00 20 $1.00 21000 $0.48
>100.00% $2.38 $4.76
>
>Sam's Choice $5.27 18 $0.29 9000 $0.33
>68.31% $1.63 $3.25
>
>Trader Joe's $6.95 18 $0.39 9000 $0.43
>90.09% $2.15 $4.29
>
>"Lump" Charcoal varies varies $0.55 9000 $0.61
>128.33% $3.06 $6.11

You pick a number out of the air for charcoal Btu/hr, then assign a
ridiculously high price to propane. All this in an effort to come up
with a cost comparison for something that few, if any, in this group
give a tinker's dam about.
Why? What's your point?
Before you started posting these attempts at fuel cost comparisons,
the cost of fuel was the least of my considerations. It still is, if I
had to use $20.00 worth of either charcoal or propane to turn $10.00
worth of pork shoulder into something my friends and family would
thoroughly enjoy, so be it.

Ross.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 5, 8:58*am, wrote:

> Before you started posting these attempts at fuel cost comparisons,
> the cost of fuel was the least of my considerations.

Shit, I figure I use about $7 of lump for a 6-8 hour cook. Now my
cooker can hold anywhere from 10 to 100lbs of meat. That's up to me.

What's the cost per hour per pound?

This is so stupid it hurts. This is so stupid it must be Kent's.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

what strikes me as odd about this discussion is that part of the point of
slow and low is to take an otherwise almost completely tough hunk of meat
and render it edible... so what if you raise the price per pound to double,
you get good eating for say $2.50 per pound instead of that $7.00 lb steak,
what is so hard about comparing finished cost of a picnic roast to a cut of
meat that will cost you more? Lee
--
If you want to discuss top posting please email me privately, lets not
clutter the news group, thanks*****

..

--
Have a wonderful day

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ter.com...
>>
>> On 4-Oct-2009, "Theron" > wrote:

>>> That's painfully obvious Kent.
>>> >

>>> I'm not quite sure what you're saying. However, there has not been a
>>> post
>>> on
>>> this NG that compares the cost of BTUs of different fuels we use when
>>> smoking or grilling.

>> In the six years I've been here, you're the only one that ever thought it
>> was relavant. Nobody that seriously cooks, gives a big rats AXXX
>> about the btu/hr of fuel. Not even the commercial folks care.
>>
>> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
>>

> I think when the fuel cost of smoking a pork shoulder is greater than the
> cost of the meat we should consider that important. You bet the commercial
> folks care about that.
>
> Ed

Fuel Cost Comparisons once more Theron General Cooking 64 07-10-2009 06:08 AM
Fuel Cost Comparisons once more Theron Barbecue 61 07-10-2009 06:08 AM
Charcoal Propane Cost Comparisons Theron Barbecue 4 04-10-2009 12:59 AM
Tea comparisons? Serendip Tea 25 20-02-2005 11:58 PM
Tea comparisons? Serendip Tea 0 18-02-2005 01:29 AM