FoodBanter.com

-   -   Charcoal Propane Cost Comparisons (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/177510-charcoal-propane-cost-comparisons.html)

theron 03-10-2009 09:32 PM

Charcoal Propane Cost Comparisons

As the ultimate tightwad I'm always looking for the least expensive way to
accomplish something comparable. I just put together figures showing cost of
fuel comparisons of different charcoals versus propane. It's a bit
disconcerting that the cost of fuel can exceed the cost of food at times.
I'm doing 5 lb of pork shoulder with lump charcoal and the cost of pork was
$.99/lb.

Fuel Cost Comparison
propane
Walmart "choice" charcoal
Trader Joe's Charcoal
"Lump" Charcoal

cost
$20.00
$5.27
$6.95
varies

weight
20
18
18
varies

cost/lb
$1.00
$0.29
$0.39
$0.55

btu/tank
420000

btu/lb
21000
9000
9000
9000

cost/10,000 BTU
$0.48
$0.33
$0.43
$0.61

Comparison to Propane
100.00%
68.31%
90.09%
128.33%

Fuel Cost per 5 hours
$2.38
$1.63
$2.15
$3.06

Fuel Cost per 10 hours
$4.76
$3.25
$4.29
$6.11

I'm assuming that the BTU per pound of different charcoals is the same, and
as we know it's not. I'm also assuming 10,000 BTU per hour, which is
variable, based on cooking temp, and the size of the cooking unit. I've been
unable to find anything about the ingredients of the Sam's Walmart charcoal,
and the Trader Joe's charcoall is claimed to be 100% hardwood plus
cornstarch to bind and lump is wood.
Your thoughts??

Ed

theron 03-10-2009 09:38 PM

"Theron" > wrote in message
> As the ultimate tightwad I'm always looking for the least expensive way to
> accomplish something comparable. I just put together figures showing cost
> of fuel comparisons of different charcoals versus propane. It's a bit
> disconcerting that the cost of fuel can exceed the cost of food at times.
> I'm doing 5 lb of pork shoulder with lump charcoal and the cost of pork
> was $.99/lb.
>
> Fuel Cost Comparison
> propane
> Walmart "choice" charcoal
> Trader Joe's Charcoal
> "Lump" Charcoal
>
> cost
> $20.00
> $5.27
> $6.95
> varies
>
> weight
> 20
> 18
> 18
> varies
>
> cost/lb
> $1.00
> $0.29
> $0.39
> $0.55
>
> btu/tank
> 420000
>

> btu/lb
> 21000
> 9000
> 9000
> 9000
>
> cost/10,000 BTU
> $0.48
> $0.33
> $0.43
> $0.61
>
> Comparison to Propane
> 100.00%
> 68.31%
> 90.09%
> 128.33%
>
> Fuel Cost per 5 hours
> $2.38
> $1.63
> $2.15
> $3.06
>
> Fuel Cost per 10 hours
> $4.76
> $3.25
> $4.29
> $6.11
>

> I'm assuming that the BTU per pound of different charcoals is the same,
> and as we know it's not. I'm also assuming 10,000 BTU per hour, which is
> variable, based on cooking temp, and the size of the cooking unit. I've
> been unable to find anything about the ingredients of the Sam's Walmart
> charcoal, and the Trader Joe's charcoall is claimed to be 100% hardwood
> plus cornstarch to bind and lump is wood.
> Your thoughts??
>
> Ed

A slight screwup. You have to start at the top and place each small column
to the right of the column above it, so you end up with a table. I'll try to
compose this so it will read in a more legible fashion.

Ed

Ed Pawlowski 03-10-2009 09:57 PM

"Theron" > wrote in message
> I'm assuming that the BTU per pound of different charcoals is the same,
> and as we know it's not. I'm also assuming 10,000 BTU per hour, which is
> variable, based on cooking temp, and the size of the cooking unit. I've
> been unable to find anything about the ingredients of the Sam's Walmart
> charcoal, and the Trader Joe's charcoall is claimed to be 100% hardwood
> plus cornstarch to bind and lump is wood.
> Your thoughts??
>
> Ed

Couple of thoughts. Fist, my decision on a fuel is based on results and
ease of use, not cost. Pre-heating burn time changes the total use also.

The comparison of different charcoals may be valid, but different fuels used
on different cookers with different designs and efficiency make a true
comparison impossible.

The biggest error though, is the Btu per pound of charcoal versus lump. If
one has limestone in it, the Btu content per pound cannot possibly be the
same. Propane is 21548 per pound. I don't know what the lump rating is,
but much higher per pound than briquettes. I recall reading it is about
double, but cannot be sure right now. .

Dave Bugg 03-10-2009 11:20 PM

Theron wrote:

> A slight screwup. You have to start at the top and place each small
> column to the right of the column above it, so you end up with a
> table. I'll try to compose this so it will read in a more legible
> fashion.

No one gives a shit, Kent. You try to hard to be relevant. The choice of
fuel is not an either or proposition unless you're in business. The choice
is strictly one on convenience, taste, and desired outcome.

Now, go back and keep counting the number of Angels dancing on that pin.
--
Dave