FoodBanter.com

-   -   Favorite slaw recipe follow up (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/177462-favorite-slaw-recipe-follow.html)

vex[_4_] 01-10-2009 09:52 PM

Favorite slaw recipe follow up

I used Big Jim's slaw recipe and it was a hit. Muchas Gracias!

--

--Brett

Dave Bugg 01-10-2009 10:22 PM

vex wrote:
> I used Big Jim's slaw recipe and it was a hit. Muchas Gracias!

Jim is a jewel. He's not likely to lead one astray with his advice.
--
Dave

Desideria 02-10-2009 02:16 AM

Favorite slaw recipe follow up

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 14:22:10 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>vex wrote:
>> I used Big Jim's slaw recipe and it was a hit. Muchas Gracias!

>Jim is a jewel. He's not likely to lead one astray with his advice.

Has anyone reduced the measurements and quantity for the
singletons--or at most two--among us?

(yeah, I'm a wimp...)

Desideria

theron 02-10-2009 02:50 AM

"vex" > wrote in message
>I used Big Jim's slaw recipe and it was a hit. Muchas Gracias!
>
> --Brett

Which recipe did you use? This one??

I 5# bag slaw mix
1½ cups sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup oil
5 tsp Kosher salt
2 heaping tsp black pepper
3 heaping TBS minced garlic.
Mix all BUTT the slaw mix. Put slaw mix in large mixing bowl pour the
dressing over slaw mix and toss with hands till all slaw mix is wet. Put in
ice box to meld. Best if made a day ahead.
Big Jim

Brick[_3_] 02-10-2009 03:14 AM

On 1-Oct-2009, "vex" > wrote:

> I used Big Jim's slaw recipe and it was a hit. Muchas Gracias!
>
> --
>
> --Brett

I made a wilted slaw this week with white vinegar, sugar, oil and
celery seed. I'll never go back to a mayo slaw. This stuff is
awsome.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Brick[_3_] 02-10-2009 03:24 AM

On 1-Oct-2009, Desideria > wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 14:22:10 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
> >vex wrote:
> >> I used Big Jim's slaw recipe and it was a hit. Muchas Gracias!

> >Jim is a jewel. He's not likely to lead one astray with his advice.

> Has anyone reduced the measurements and quantity for the
> singletons--or at most two--among us?
>
> (yeah, I'm a wimp...)
>

> Desideria

I took one look at if and decided that I could make the liquid and
flavor ingredients separate from the slaw and use must enough to
cover the solid ingredients when I mixed it up. In fact I have
considered making up a quart or two of the vinegar, oil, sugar
and celery seed to keep on hand for spur of the moment servings.
(Yeh, I know the slaw needs to be steeped overnight, but it's pretty
edible right away)

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Desideria 02-10-2009 05:22 AM

Favorite slaw recipe follow up

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 02:24:20 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 1-Oct-2009, Desideria > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 14:22:10 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
>> wrote:

>> >Jim is a jewel. He's not likely to lead one astray with his advice.

>> Has anyone reduced the measurements and quantity for the
>> singletons--or at most two--among us?
>>
>> (yeah, I'm a wimp...)
>>

>> Desideria

>I took one look at if and decided that I could make the liquid and
>flavor ingredients separate from the slaw and use must enough to
>cover the solid ingredients when I mixed it up. In fact I have
>considered making up a quart or two of the vinegar, oil, sugar
>and celery seed to keep on hand for spur of the moment servings.
>(Yeh, I know the slaw needs to be steeped overnight, but it's pretty
>edible right away)

Thanks. You're a brick, Brick! ;-)

(and I've bet you've heard THAT before!)

Desideria

Gene 02-10-2009 05:37 AM

Favorite slaw recipe follow up

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 02:14:27 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 1-Oct-2009, "vex" > wrote:
>
>> I used Big Jim's slaw recipe and it was a hit. Muchas Gracias!
>>
>> --
>>
>> --Brett

>I made a wilted slaw this week with white vinegar, sugar, oil and
>celery seed. I'll never go back to a mayo slaw. This stuff is
>awsome.

Kinda like the KFC knock off, I didn't think it would work but damn it
was good.

vex[_4_] 02-10-2009 05:36 PM

Desideria wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 14:22:10 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
>> vex wrote:
>>> I used Big Jim's slaw recipe and it was a hit. Muchas Gracias!

>> Jim is a jewel. He's not likely to lead one astray with his advice.

> Has anyone reduced the measurements and quantity for the
> singletons--or at most two--among us?
>
> (yeah, I'm a wimp...)

I did. I made the same amount of dressing, but reduced the amount of slaw
and just used enough dressing to wet the slaw down. I saved the rest off in
a container for later.

--Brett

vex[_4_] 02-10-2009 05:38 PM

Theron wrote:
> Which recipe did you use? This one??
>
> I 5# bag slaw mix
> 1½ cups sugar
> 1 cup cider vinegar
> 1 cup oil
> 5 tsp Kosher salt
> 2 heaping tsp black pepper
> 3 heaping TBS minced garlic.
> Mix all BUTT the slaw mix. Put slaw mix in large mixing bowl pour the
> dressing over slaw mix and toss with hands till all slaw mix is wet.
> Put in ice box to meld. Best if made a day ahead.
> Big Jim

Yep, that's the one. I added some celery seed to it when I made another
batch last night and it was a decent addition. I think I used about 2tsp for
1lb of slaw.

--Brett

Ed Pawlowski 03-10-2009 04:31 AM

Favorite slaw recipe follow up

>> Which recipe did you use? This one??
>>
>> I 5# bag slaw mix

Slaw mix? Bagged? Never touched the stuff. Chop or grate a head of
cabbage with an onion and carrot.

Then salt the mix and let its stand for 30 to 60 minutes and squeeze out the
excess water. That way it does not get all watered down as it sits later.

I make a slightly different version of the Corky's show below. I cut back
the celery seeds, add more onion and leave out the salt as I've already
salted the cabbage.

Here is the recipe for cole slaw from Corky's in Memphis. This is the best
I've tasted. Many ingredients are the same in other slaws- the difference
must be the celery seeds, vinegar, and mustard. Don't leave anything out. It
is perfect.

Corky's Cole Slaw
-serves 6

1 med. head green cabbage, shredded

2 med. carrots. grated

1 green pepper finely diced

2 TBS onion, grated

2 cups mayonnaise

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup Dijon mustard

1/4 cup cider vinegar

2 TBS celery seeds

1 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. white pepper

Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another.

Mix together and toss well.

Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.

California Bill's Dad's Coleslaw

1 large head green cabbage, quartered and chopped to shreds;

1 small white onion, chopped finely (2 T.-1/4 C.)

2-3 very finely chopped Serrano peppers, (second generation addition)

1/2 C.(+/-) real mayonnaise;

3 T. Cider vinegar;

1 small apple (any kind), chopped

sugar, (2 T)

salt, to taste (1 t.)

white pepper, to taste.

Chop it all, and mix very well. For more guests, double all ingredients,
except the salt.

Prepare 12 to 24 hours before serving---REFRIGERATE! ENJOY!

theron 03-10-2009 05:47 PM

"vex" > wrote in message
> Theron wrote:
>> Which recipe did you use? This one??
>>
>> I 5# bag slaw mix
>> 1½ cups sugar
>> 1 cup cider vinegar
>> 1 cup oil
>> 5 tsp Kosher salt
>> 2 heaping tsp black pepper
>> 3 heaping TBS minced garlic.
>> Mix all BUTT the slaw mix. Put slaw mix in large mixing bowl pour the
>> dressing over slaw mix and toss with hands till all slaw mix is wet.
>> Put in ice box to meld. Best if made a day ahead.
>> Big Jim

> Yep, that's the one. I added some celery seed to it when I made another
> batch last night and it was a decent addition. I think I used about 2tsp
> for 1lb of slaw.
>
> --Brett

Whadya put in the "slaw mix"? I'm guessing carrot? But anything else? I like
the idea of the vinaigrette dressing, and am going to try it. Thanks

Ed

vex[_4_] 06-10-2009 03:54 PM

Theron wrote:
> Whadya put in the "slaw mix"? I'm guessing carrot? But anything else?
> I like the idea of the vinaigrette dressing, and am going to try it.

The bagged slaw mix I got at the store just had green and red cabbage and
some grated carrot. I'm too lazy to make my own. :)

--Brett

Brick[_3_] 07-10-2009 12:00 AM

Favorite slaw recipe follow up

On 6-Oct-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

> Ed Pawlowski said:

.. . .

> For both these recipes, I do not recommend an aspartame sweetener, since
> it imparts an off taste to the food.
>
> MartyB in KC

Duly clipped and saved. Thanks for passing those recipes along Marty.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Stormmee 07-10-2009 02:28 PM

Favorite slaw recipe follow up

my mom has made the cucs this way all my life, first with sugar later with
splenda... she sometimes adds a bit of fresh herbs if she has it on hand,
that varies, great ideas all of these, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day