Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue,alt.anarchism,talk.politics.libertarian

Default Wood burning stove status in Turkey

I was watching 'Chef Abroad' the other day(he was in Istanbul checking
out the bread scene).
He visited many bakeries while there, and I was surprised at all the
different types of breads produced in Turkey.
The bakeries ALL(at least the ones shown)use wood burning ovens in
order to bake their breads, and have been doing so for centuries. One
of the stipulations that Turkey must follow in order to comply with
European Union regulations is to get rid of all of their wood burning
ovens(commercial) for health reasons. These people have been doing
this for thousands of years and have it down to a fine art. Now they
have to change?
Many of the bakers said that they will continue doing what they have
been doing.
Super big government at it's finest. They are looking out for us by
cancelling wood burning ovens. Good grief.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue,alt.anarchism,talk.politics.libertarian

"garden-variety dick" > wrote in message
>I was watching 'Chef Abroad' the other day(he was in Istanbul checking
> out the bread scene).
> He visited many bakeries while there, and I was surprised at all the
> different types of breads produced in Turkey.
> The bakeries ALL(at least the ones shown)use wood burning ovens in
> order to bake their breads, and have been doing so for centuries. One
> of the stipulations that Turkey must follow in order to comply with
> European Union regulations is to get rid of all of their wood burning
> ovens(commercial) for health reasons. These people have been doing
> this for thousands of years and have it down to a fine art. Now they
> have to change?
> Many of the bakers said that they will continue doing what they have
> been doing.
> Super big government at it's finest. They are looking out for us by
> cancelling wood burning ovens. Good grief.

Sounds like California. If it pollutes, get rid of it. The best bakeries
in many places are still using wood or coal. Soon we will be mandated to
eat only sliced white bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue,alt.anarchism,talk.politics.libertarian

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> .... Soon we will be mandated to eat only sliced white bread.

You must be forgetting the health-nut lobby. White bread in Kalifornia will
likely be forbidden as well. ;-)

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue,alt.anarchism,talk.politics.libertarian

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Sounds like California. If it pollutes, get rid of it. The best bakeries
> in many places are still using wood or coal. Soon we will be mandated to
> eat only sliced white bread.

Heh. I live in California and I can recall many years ago
when there was a crackdown on bakeries for polluting the
air. It wasn't their ovens, which had long been electric
or gas. It was the ethanol emitted by rising bread dough.
As I recall, they were expected to install scrubbers to
capture that ethanol.