Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Lump and Briquette Charcoal Question

What is the taste difference between Kingsford briquettes, Trader Joes all
wood brequettes, and lump? Leave out the wood. Is there a taste difference
for low and slow compared to grilling with charcoal in general. For
grilling, what's the taste difference between any charcoal and gas?

This is just a poll.. Thanks for your thoughts,

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:34:04 -0700, "Theron" >
wrote:

>What is the taste difference between Kingsford briquettes, Trader Joes all
>wood brequettes, and lump? Leave out the wood. Is there a taste difference
>for low and slow compared to grilling with charcoal in general. For
>grilling, what's the taste difference between any charcoal and gas?
>
>This is just a poll.. Thanks for your thoughts,
>
>Ed

Did you mean to post this twice, Ed?

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Desideria" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:34:04 -0700, "Theron" >
> wrote:
>
>>What is the taste difference between Kingsford briquettes, Trader Joes all
>>wood brequettes, and lump? Leave out the wood. Is there a taste
>>difference
>>for low and slow compared to grilling with charcoal in general. For
>>grilling, what's the taste difference between any charcoal and gas?
>>
>>This is just a poll.. Thanks for your thoughts,
>>
>>Ed
>>

> Did you mean to post this twice, Ed?
>
> Desideria

No, it was an accident. My Outlook Express is not working properly as
usually happens about every six months. Sorry

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>What is the taste difference between Kingsford briquettes, Trader Joes all
>wood brequettes, and lump? Leave out the wood. Is there a taste difference
>for low and slow compared to grilling with charcoal in general. For
>grilling, what's the taste difference between any charcoal and gas?
>
>This is just a poll.. Thanks for your thoughts,
>
>Ed

Kingsford Briquettes burn very even. Lump does not. Kingsford burns
slower. Lump burns faster. You can reuse lump after you put it out.
You can not reuse Kingsford. Lump leaves less ash and is less messy.
Kingsford leaves toxic dust and is very "dirty". Lump burns hotter.

Taste? I have not gone back to Kingsford since I switched to lump.
Lump gives you a "woodier" taste. IMHO Kingsford leaves an un-natural
chemical taste.

Can't tell you anything about Trader's other than everything at
Traders is more expensive.

Try all 3 and report back. But it is all about what YOU like.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:34:04 -0700, Theron wrote:

> What is the taste difference between Kingsford briquettes, Trader Joes all
> wood brequettes, and lump?

Stick to Kingsford, Kent.

Trader Joes does not have an "All Wood" briquette.

Why are you asking these mundane, repetitive questions all over
again? You've been here for almost a decade. Have you gleaned
nothing from this group in that time? Or do you just like to hear
yourself talk?

We answered all these que4stions for you 4-7 years ago. And the
answers are still the same. Excuse me if I don't feel like talking
to a wall.

ObFood: 2/3lb chunk of South American grass-fed beef tenderloin for
dinner tonight. It's sitting on the counter coming up to temp while
I think of something inventive to do with it.

-sw
-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:51:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

(snip)

>ObFood: 2/3lb chunk of South American grass-fed beef tenderloin for
>dinner tonight. It's sitting on the counter coming up to temp while
>I think of something inventive to do with it.
>
>-sw

Send it here. I'll find something to do with it!

<EG>

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:34:04 -0700, "Theron" >
> wrote:
>
>>What is the taste difference between Kingsford briquettes, Trader Joes all
>>wood brequettes, and lump? Leave out the wood. Is there a taste
>>difference
>>for low and slow compared to grilling with charcoal in general. For
>>grilling, what's the taste difference between any charcoal and gas?
>>
>>This is just a poll.. Thanks for your thoughts,
>>
>>Ed
>>

> Kingsford Briquettes burn very even. Lump does not. Kingsford burns
> slower. Lump burns faster. You can reuse lump after you put it out.
> You can not reuse Kingsford. Lump leaves less ash and is less messy.
> Kingsford leaves toxic dust and is very "dirty". Lump burns hotter.
>
> Taste? I have not gone back to Kingsford since I switched to lump.
> Lump gives you a "woodier" taste. IMHO Kingsford leaves an un-natural
> chemical taste.
>
> Can't tell you anything about Trader's other than everything at
> Traders is more expensive.
>
> Try all 3 and report back. But it is all about what YOU like.

I reuse Kingsford. I'm using old Weber steel baskets which have been
discontinued and I wish I could find. I light up the old charcoal on the
bottom of the basket with the Performer lighter and put new charcoal on top.
I suppose it acts somewhat like an ignitor.

TJ's all wood charcoal is $6.99/18lb, or $.39/lb. That's a good price for
charcoal around here and cheaper than Lazzari's lump. I'm using TJ's wood at
present. My problem with lump is the difference in particle size, ranging
from ounces to several pounds. I have a 9lb chunk of lump sitting in my
patio. It looks like abstract art.

Can you tell the difference if you're quickly searing a steak? I can't. I
can when comparing to gas. Is the "woodier" taste of the lump important if
you're adding wood as you go? That's what I'm most interested in. For a
"seared" steak I don't think I can tell a difference. For low and slow with
added wood I'm not sure either.

Ed

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

SNIP

>I reuse Kingsford. I'm using old Weber steel baskets which have been
>discontinued and I wish I could find. I light up the old charcoal on the
>bottom of the basket with the Performer lighter and put new charcoal on top.
>I suppose it acts somewhat like an ignitor.
>
>TJ's all wood charcoal is $6.99/18lb, or $.39/lb. That's a good price for
>charcoal around here and cheaper than Lazzari's lump. I'm using TJ's wood at
>present. My problem with lump is the difference in particle size, ranging
>from ounces to several pounds. I have a 9lb chunk of lump sitting in my
>patio. It looks like abstract art.
>
>Can you tell the difference if you're quickly searing a steak? I can't. I
>can when comparing to gas. Is the "woodier" taste of the lump important if
>you're adding wood as you go? That's what I'm most interested in. For a
>"seared" steak I don't think I can tell a difference. For low and slow with
>added wood I'm not sure either.

I have never been able to reuse Kingsford. Perhaps tossin new stuff on
it works. Even then, it still takes like drugs IMHO. To each his/her
own.

I can tell the difference when I sear a steak.

All I can say to your remaining question is to give it a try.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:06:55 -0700, Desideria wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:51:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>ObFood: 2/3lb chunk of South American grass-fed beef tenderloin for
>>dinner tonight. It's sitting on the counter coming up to temp while
>>I think of something inventive to do with it.

> Send it here. I'll find something to do with it!

Will you make me some lemongrass and nuoc cham marinated sliced beef
wrapped around green onions and grilled (bo cuon moi). Served
wrapped in rice papers with green leaf lettuce with a mam nem
dipping sauce?

The beef is marinating and the mam nem is "brewing" away, so
hurry up.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:22:36 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:06:55 -0700, Desideria wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:51:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>ObFood: 2/3lb chunk of South American grass-fed beef tenderloin for
>>>dinner tonight. It's sitting on the counter coming up to temp while
>>>I think of something inventive to do with it.

>> Send it here. I'll find something to do with it!

>Will you make me some lemongrass and nuoc cham marinated sliced beef
>wrapped around green onions and grilled (bo cuon moi). Served
>wrapped in rice papers with green leaf lettuce with a mam nem
>dipping sauce?
>
>The beef is marinating and the mam nem is "brewing" away, so
>hurry up.
>
>-sw

I could TRY, Sqwertz, but I doubt you'd be happy with the result. ;-)

Think it's better if you make it and send ME some!

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:31:19 -0700, Desideria wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:22:36 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:06:55 -0700, Desideria wrote:

>>> Send it here. I'll find something to do with it!

>>Will you make me some lemongrass and nuoc cham marinated sliced beef
>>wrapped around green onions and grilled (bo cuon moi). Served
>>wrapped in rice papers with green leaf lettuce with a mam nem
>>dipping sauce?
>>
>>The beef is marinating and the mam nem is "brewing" away, so
>>hurry up.

> I could TRY, Sqwertz, but I doubt you'd be happy with the result. ;-)
>
> Think it's better if you make it and send ME some!

It's highly illegal to send mam nem through the mail. It was part
of the Patriot Act. Sorry.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:39:49 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:31:19 -0700, Desideria wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:22:36 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>Will you make me some lemongrass and nuoc cham marinated sliced beef
>>>wrapped around green onions and grilled (bo cuon moi). Served
>>>wrapped in rice papers with green leaf lettuce with a mam nem
>>>dipping sauce?
>>>
>>>The beef is marinating and the mam nem is "brewing" away, so
>>>hurry up.

>> I could TRY, Sqwertz, but I doubt you'd be happy with the result. ;-)
>>
>> Think it's better if you make it and send ME some!

>It's highly illegal to send mam nem through the mail. It was part
>of the Patriot Act. Sorry.
>
>-sw

<g> Who said mail?

Just teleport it here! :-)

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D D is offline

Theron wrote:

> I reuse Kingsford. I'm using old Weber steel baskets which have been
> discontinued and I wish I could find. I light up the old charcoal on the
> bottom of the basket with the Performer lighter and put new charcoal on top.
> I suppose it acts somewhat like an ignitor.
>
> TJ's all wood charcoal is $6.99/18lb, or $.39/lb. That's a good price for
> charcoal around here and cheaper than Lazzari's lump. I'm using TJ's wood at
> present. My problem with lump is the difference in particle size, ranging
> from ounces to several pounds. I have a 9lb chunk of lump sitting in my
> patio. It looks like abstract art.
>
> Can you tell the difference if you're quickly searing a steak? I can't. I
> can when comparing to gas. Is the "woodier" taste of the lump important if
> you're adding wood as you go? That's what I'm most interested in. For a
> "seared" steak I don't think I can tell a difference. For low and slow with
> added wood I'm not sure either.
>
> Ed

I don't consider the cost of the fuel when I smoke. I buy my lump he

http://wickedgoodcharcoal.com/

I buy the "Weekend Warrior Lump". With shipping it's not cheap, but I
try to get the best results that I can. It also lasts a very long time.

I look at it like fishing. By the time I bring home 10# of fillets, the
cost - per pound - is huge when you consider the cost of the boat, fuel,
maintenance, insurance, etc. It's more of a hobby than anything else.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:34:04 -0700, Theron wrote:
>
>> What is the taste difference between Kingsford briquettes, Trader
>> Joes all wood brequettes, and lump?

> Stick to Kingsford, Kent.
>
> Trader Joes does not have an "All Wood" briquette.
>
> Why are you asking these mundane, repetitive questions all over
> again? You've been here for almost a decade. Have you gleaned
> nothing from this group in that time? Or do you just like to hear
> yourself talk?
>
> We answered all these que4stions for you 4-7 years ago. And the
> answers are still the same. Excuse me if I don't feel like talking
> to a wall.

He's just a troll. He *appears* to be legitimate, but he gets his kicks from
asking stuff that has been either answered to death or will go into
nit-picky arguments about nit-picky crap of no real-world consequence.

He's just an asshat.

It won't be long (I hope) before people just ignore Kent. Then maybe he'll
reinvent another personna to try and fool folks once again.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 20, 2:03*pm, Desideria > wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:34:04 -0700, "Theron" >

> >Ed

> Did you mean to post this twice, Ed?

You assume anything Cent does could have intent. Intent requires
thought, even more, forethought.

That would iffy at best, considering who we're talking about.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:12:58 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:34:04 -0700, Theron wrote:
>>
>>> What is the taste difference between Kingsford briquettes, Trader
>>> Joes all wood brequettes, and lump?

>> Stick to Kingsford, Kent.
>>
>> Trader Joes does not have an "All Wood" briquette.
>>
>> Why are you asking these mundane, repetitive questions all over
>> again? You've been here for almost a decade. Have you gleaned
>> nothing from this group in that time? Or do you just like to hear
>> yourself talk?
>>
>> We answered all these que4stions for you 4-7 years ago. And the
>> answers are still the same. Excuse me if I don't feel like talking
>> to a wall.

> He's just a troll. He *appears* to be legitimate, but he gets his kicks from
> asking stuff that has been either answered to death or will go into
> nit-picky arguments about nit-picky crap of no real-world consequence.
>
> He's just an asshat.

I was willing to let him start a new persona, but he started the
same old shit again, but he just became even more irritating this
time around.

It won't be long before we have a new ****tard on the block asking
questions about cold smoking, ham, and nitrites. Who owns a Genesis
Silver B and _used_ to own a GOSM.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:34:04 -0700, Theron wrote:
>
>> What is the taste difference between Kingsford briquettes, Trader Joes
>> all
>> wood brequettes, and lump?

> Stick to Kingsford, Kent.
>
> Trader Joes does not have an "All Wood" briquette.

Yes, Trader Joes has an all wood briquette.

> Why are you asking these mundane, repetitive questions all over
> again? You've been here for almost a decade. Have you gleaned
> nothing from this group in that time? Or do you just like to hear
> yourself talk?
>
> We answered all these que4stions for you 4-7 years ago. And the
> answers are still the same. Excuse me if I don't feel like talking
> to a wall.

As I said on a recent thread, in response to your similar question:
"One of the great things about this and other NGs is knowing "Whadya doing
now??". What are you doing differently with que, grilling, and smoke that
you didn't do last time. It's OK to ask the fundamental questions now and
then. ...... Cooking, including outdoor cooking, is an ongoing evolutionary
event.

That's why cooking is exciting."

> ObFood: 2/3lb chunk of South American grass-fed beef tenderloin for
> dinner tonight. It's sitting on the counter coming up to temp while
> I think of something inventive to do with it.
>
> -sw

It strikes me that 2/3 lb of tenderloin is quite a lot to eat by yourself.
I'm not responding to your troll. This only an observation.

From Wikipedia:
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who
intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line
community such as an on-line discussion forum with the intention of baiting
users into an argumentative response.[1]

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:44:06 -0700, Theron wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:34:04 -0700, Theron wrote:
>>
>>> What is the taste difference between Kingsford briquettes, Trader Joes
>>> all
>>> wood brequettes, and lump?

>> Stick to Kingsford, Kent.
>>
>> Trader Joes does not have an "All Wood" briquette.
>>

> Yes, Trader Joes has an all wood briquette.

No, they do not.

Tell me, Kent - what kind of wood *is* it? Mesquite? Oak?
Hickory?

> As I said on a recent thread, in response to your similar question:
> "One of the great things about this and other NGs is knowing "Whadya doing
> now??". What are you doing differently with que, grilling, and smoke that
> you didn't do last time. It's OK to ask the fundamental questions now and
> then. ...... Cooking, including outdoor cooking, is an ongoing evolutionary
> event.

The recipe for Kingsford charcoal has remained the same for a afew
decades. UIt hasn't changed. Neither has the taste of wood or
lump, or natural gas. Except for you, gasbag.

> It strikes me that 2/3 lb of tenderloin is quite a lot to eat by yourself.

Like I could really give a shit what strikes you, unless it's a
heavy, blunt object.

> I'm not responding to your troll. This only an observation.

Are you on drugs? Mental problem? Just say so.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 20, 8:12*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> It won't be long (I hope) before people just ignore Kent. Then maybe he'll
> reinvent another personna to try and fool folks once again.

NEVER will that happen. He enjoys screwing with you guys, and you
guys enjoy dog piling on when you catch him. He can't resist, and
neither can the denizens of this group; it's almost a genetic
imperative.

This symbiosis has been in existence ever since I can remember.

Like The Torch says, "Flame on!".

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:47:09 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sep 20, 8:12*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
>> It won't be long (I hope) before people just ignore Kent. Then maybe he'll
>> reinvent another personna to try and fool folks once again.

>NEVER will that happen. He enjoys screwing with you guys, and you
>guys enjoy dog piling on when you catch him. He can't resist, and
>neither can the denizens of this group; it's almost a genetic
>imperative.
>
>This symbiosis has been in existence ever since I can remember.
>
>Like The Torch says, "Flame on!".
>
>Robert

<g> My only 'flame on' is when I light up the paper under the chimney
starter!

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 21, 11:52*pm, Desideria > wrote:

> <g> My only 'flame on' is when I light up the paper under the chimney
> starter!
>
> Desideria

With you all the way. Trolls don't deserve a second of my attention.
All this blather about "we know who you are" and "we know what you are
doing" only excites the guys they are talking about.

Life is too short.

I have other (productive) things to do than argue and **** over the
internet.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>What is the taste difference between Kingsford briquettes, Trader Joes all
>wood brequettes, and lump? Leave out the wood. Is there a taste difference
>for low and slow compared to grilling with charcoal in general.

To me, each of them tastes quite a bit like...Oh. You meant 'food
cooked with' them.

Only time I used briquets was around 15 or more years ago when I knew
no better than to also use starter fluid. So I've no data.

>For
>grilling, what's the taste difference between any charcoal and gas?
>
>This is just a poll.. Thanks for your thoughts,

Grilling? I don't grill with gas[1]--though the food I've had which
was grilled over gas flames seemed just fine. Haven't grilled that
much, period, really--but when I do so, at least at home, it's with
lump. [1] That'd be 'cause my 7-in-One doesn't achieve what I'd call
'grilling temp' with gas. It's fine for Q, and would work okay for
indirect heat cooking like a chicken, but direct heat isn't at all its
forte.

--
-denny-

Some people are offence kleptomaniacs -- whenever they see
an offence that isn't nailed down, they take it ;-)
--David C. Pugh, in alt.callahans

Know the signs!
http://www.heartinfo.org/ms/guides/9/main.html
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 20, 2:51*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:34:04 -0700, Theron wrote:
> > What is the taste difference between Kingsford briquettes, Trader Joes all
> > wood brequettes, and lump?

> Stick to Kingsford, Kent.
>
> Trader Joes does not have an "All Wood" briquette.

They *do* have a lump briquette that could easily be Original Charcoal
Co.
Rancher under another label. It's excellent stuff in my experience,
behaves just like Rancher, which behaves like homogeneous lump,
which means it's lump that behaves.

Dana

Lump and Briquette Charcoal Question Theron Barbecue 46 25-09-2009 03:23 AM
Lump charcoal VS Charcoal briquettes ken ullman Barbecue 40 22-08-2005 08:44 PM
lump charcoal fishman99 Barbecue 17 30-06-2005 09:52 AM
Lump Charcoal: A Story and a question Brian Barbecue 17 05-05-2005 01:55 PM
Big Lump In Lump Charcoal Pierre Barbecue 8 11-07-2004 05:38 PM