Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default cold smoking

this is an area i know virtually nothing about. after reading here and a
couple of other places i am interested in a general discussion on this
topic... for/agains? do you do it and on what products? site
reccomendations? recipes? the whole deal,

Lee

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> this is an area i know virtually nothing about. after reading
> here and a couple of other places i am interested in a general
> discussion on this topic... for/agains? do you do it and on what
> products? site reccomendations? recipes? the whole deal,

Cold smoking is quite easy with a Bradley, and is used in some
interesting ways. For instance, when some folk were out front of
the subdivision a few years back putting up Christmas decorations,
before joining them I placed a pound of almonds and a pound of
cashews on trays and smoked them for an hour. By the time the
people were ready to get to work, I had warm, smoked nuts to treat
everybody. Smoking cheese is a matter of taste, of course, but it
makes an interesting mini wheel to let people cut slices from to
put on crackers at a party.

Where I use cold smoking most is to impart a smoke flavor to food
that is ultimately cooked on the grill or microwave. For
instance, bulk bacon can be purchased, sprayed lightly with a 25%
solution of maple syrup and then smoked for 20 minutes or so using
an Apple puck. Then, it can be repackaged, microwaved, fried or
even frozen for future use.

I know one fellow who smoked a half salmon, then just left it in
the refrigerator thinking it'd be preserved. Thank goodness he
tossed it out when he spotted the green. As Nonny mentioned, it's
a great way to add smoke flavor, tough, to chicken, while still
preparing it the traditional way on the grill or even in a fryer.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> this is an area i know virtually nothing about. after reading here and a
> couple of other places i am interested in a general discussion on this
> topic... for/agains? do you do it and on what products? site
> reccomendations? recipes? the whole deal,
>
> Lee

Cold smoking is done with curing. You need a cure in the meat first. This
is how bacon, ham, some sausages are done. They are generally cured, them
smoked for a long time at about 100 degrees, then brought up to a
temperature to make them safe.

It is also good for smoking cheese since it would melt in a regular smoker.

Smoke curing, or cold smoking, is not a part of what we do for barbecue,
which is smoke cooking. Without a cure, the meat would go bad during the
process.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent Billeau" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> this is an area i know virtually nothing about. after reading here and a
>> couple of other places i am interested in a general discussion on this
>> topic... for/agains? do you do it and on what products? site
>> reccomendations? recipes? the whole deal,

> Cold smoking is quite easy with a Bradley, and is used in some interesting
> ways. For instance, when some folk were out front of the subdivision a
> few years back putting up Christmas decorations, before joining them I
> placed a pound of almonds and a pound of cashews on trays and smoked them
> for an hour. By the time the people were ready to get to work, I had
> warm, smoked nuts to treat everybody. Smoking cheese is a matter of
> taste, of course, but it makes an interesting mini wheel to let people cut
> slices from to put on crackers at a party.
>
> Where I use cold smoking most is to impart a smoke flavor to food that is
> ultimately cooked on the grill or microwave. For instance, bulk bacon can
> be purchased, sprayed lightly with a 25% solution of maple syrup and then
> smoked for 20 minutes or so using an Apple puck. Then, it can be
> repackaged, microwaved, fried or even frozen for future use.
>
> I know one fellow who smoked a half salmon, then just left it in the
> refrigerator thinking it'd be preserved. Thank goodness he tossed it out
> when he spotted the green. As Nonny mentioned, it's a great way to add
> smoke flavor, tough, to chicken, while still preparing it the traditional
> way on the grill or even in a fryer.
>
> Kent

Will the Bradley smoke at as low a temp. that you need for "cold smoked
salmon"? I think you basically need room temperature smoke, to avoid
cooking the salmon. I've kind of given up on that. The next time I get some
good fresh wild salmon I'm going to make gravlax and cover the surface with
a bit of diluted "liquid smoke".

Horrors,

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message

..

>> Kent

> Will the Bradley smoke at as low a temp. that you need for "cold
> smoked salmon"? I think you basically need room temperature
> smoke, to avoid cooking the salmon. I've kind of given up on
> that. The next time I get some good fresh wild salmon I'm going
> to make gravlax and cover the surface with a bit of diluted
> "liquid smoke".
>
> Horrors,
>
> Ed

Dunno about Kent's but we live in LV and the typical summer air
temp alone can be well over 100f. When I cold smoke, I use meat
or food right from the refrigerator. Most smoking, for what I do,
can be accomplished in an hour or so. . . more can be
counterproductive. I tend to cold smoke the small or thin things,
like bacon, salmon, nuts, jerky etc., and am happy with the
results. So far, I've not killed myself with bad food, since the
temp rise from about 38f to "whatever" in an hour or so doesn't
seem to be enough to let bacteria grow. If someone lives in a
freezing, wild and desolate place like KC, Fairbanks or Billings,
that might work even more in their favor. <grin>

--
Nonny

Government is the great fiction
through which everybody endeavors
to live at the expense of everybody else.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:

> Will the Bradley smoke at as low a temp. that you need for "cold smoked
> salmon"? I think you basically need room temperature smoke, to avoid
> cooking the salmon. I've kind of given up on that. The next time I get some
> good fresh wild salmon I'm going to make gravlax and cover the surface with
> a bit of diluted "liquid smoke".
>
> Horrors,
>
> Ed

I agree 100% that cold smoking should be "smoke without heat". For
some types of food a slightly elevated temp doesn't matter but for
others it ruins it. Cheese, for instance.

With Bradley equipment this is acheived by using the smoke generator
only. Hook it to a 3" pipe and send the smoke into a seperate
box that holds the food. Box temp will be no higher than ambient temp.

If you use the full Bradley smoker the temperature tends to rise
because it's insulated.

--
Reg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

all of that sounds wonderful, am really leaning towards this unit, i would
consider that stove top thing but i just can't beleive it wouldn't smoke my
house, Lee
"Kent Billeau" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> this is an area i know virtually nothing about. after reading here and a
>> couple of other places i am interested in a general discussion on this
>> topic... for/agains? do you do it and on what products? site
>> reccomendations? recipes? the whole deal,

> Cold smoking is quite easy with a Bradley, and is used in some interesting
> ways. For instance, when some folk were out front of the subdivision a
> few years back putting up Christmas decorations, before joining them I
> placed a pound of almonds and a pound of cashews on trays and smoked them
> for an hour. By the time the people were ready to get to work, I had
> warm, smoked nuts to treat everybody. Smoking cheese is a matter of
> taste, of course, but it makes an interesting mini wheel to let people cut
> slices from to put on crackers at a party.
>
> Where I use cold smoking most is to impart a smoke flavor to food that is
> ultimately cooked on the grill or microwave. For instance, bulk bacon can
> be purchased, sprayed lightly with a 25% solution of maple syrup and then
> smoked for 20 minutes or so using an Apple puck. Then, it can be
> repackaged, microwaved, fried or even frozen for future use.
>
> I know one fellow who smoked a half salmon, then just left it in the
> refrigerator thinking it'd be preserved. Thank goodness he tossed it out
> when he spotted the green. As Nonny mentioned, it's a great way to add
> smoke flavor, tough, to chicken, while still preparing it the traditional
> way on the grill or even in a fryer.
>
> Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i realize its not the same as BBQ but love smoked cheese and salmon and if i
can get a unit that will do both for one money i will be well pleased... it
seems like this bradley will do both very nicely, thanks, Lee
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> this is an area i know virtually nothing about. after reading here and a
>> couple of other places i am interested in a general discussion on this
>> topic... for/agains? do you do it and on what products? site
>> reccomendations? recipes? the whole deal,
>>
>> Lee
>>

> Cold smoking is done with curing. You need a cure in the meat first.
> This is how bacon, ham, some sausages are done. They are generally cured,
> them smoked for a long time at about 100 degrees, then brought up to a
> temperature to make them safe.
>
> It is also good for smoking cheese since it would melt in a regular
> smoker.
>
> Smoke curing, or cold smoking, is not a part of what we do for barbecue,
> which is smoke cooking. Without a cure, the meat would go bad during the
> process.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

salmon is one of the things i am interested in cold smoking, Lee
"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Kent Billeau" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>> this is an area i know virtually nothing about. after reading here and
>>> a couple of other places i am interested in a general discussion on this
>>> topic... for/agains? do you do it and on what products? site
>>> reccomendations? recipes? the whole deal,

>> Cold smoking is quite easy with a Bradley, and is used in some
>> interesting ways. For instance, when some folk were out front of the
>> subdivision a few years back putting up Christmas decorations, before
>> joining them I placed a pound of almonds and a pound of cashews on trays
>> and smoked them for an hour. By the time the people were ready to get to
>> work, I had warm, smoked nuts to treat everybody. Smoking cheese is a
>> matter of taste, of course, but it makes an interesting mini wheel to let
>> people cut slices from to put on crackers at a party.
>>
>> Where I use cold smoking most is to impart a smoke flavor to food that is
>> ultimately cooked on the grill or microwave. For instance, bulk bacon
>> can be purchased, sprayed lightly with a 25% solution of maple syrup and
>> then smoked for 20 minutes or so using an Apple puck. Then, it can be
>> repackaged, microwaved, fried or even frozen for future use.
>>
>> I know one fellow who smoked a half salmon, then just left it in the
>> refrigerator thinking it'd be preserved. Thank goodness he tossed it out
>> when he spotted the green. As Nonny mentioned, it's a great way to add
>> smoke flavor, tough, to chicken, while still preparing it the traditional
>> way on the grill or even in a fryer.
>>
>> Kent

> Will the Bradley smoke at as low a temp. that you need for "cold smoked
> salmon"? I think you basically need room temperature smoke, to avoid
> cooking the salmon. I've kind of given up on that. The next time I get
> some good fresh wild salmon I'm going to make gravlax and cover the
> surface with a bit of diluted "liquid smoke".
>
> Horrors,
>
> Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

how does your salmon turn out? this is one thing i am very interested in
doing, Lee
"Nonny" > wrote in message

> "Theron" > wrote in message
>>

> .
>>>
>>> Kent

>> Will the Bradley smoke at as low a temp. that you need for "cold smoked
>> salmon"? I think you basically need room temperature smoke, to avoid
>> cooking the salmon. I've kind of given up on that. The next time I get
>> some good fresh wild salmon I'm going to make gravlax and cover the
>> surface with a bit of diluted "liquid smoke".
>>
>> Horrors,
>>
>> Ed

> Dunno about Kent's but we live in LV and the typical summer air temp alone
> can be well over 100f. When I cold smoke, I use meat or food right from
> the refrigerator. Most smoking, for what I do, can be accomplished in an
> hour or so. . . more can be counterproductive. I tend to cold smoke the
> small or thin things, like bacon, salmon, nuts, jerky etc., and am happy
> with the results. So far, I've not killed myself with bad food, since the
> temp rise from about 38f to "whatever" in an hour or so doesn't seem to be
> enough to let bacteria grow. If someone lives in a freezing, wild and
> desolate place like KC, Fairbanks or Billings, that might work even more
> in their favor. <grin>
>

> --
> Nonny
>
> Government is the great fiction
> through which everybody endeavors
> to live at the expense of everybody else.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> Kent

> Will the Bradley smoke at as low a temp. that you need for "cold smoked
> salmon"? I think you basically need room temperature smoke, to avoid
> cooking the salmon. I've kind of given up on that. The next time I get
> some good fresh wild salmon I'm going to make gravlax and cover the
> surface with a bit of diluted "liquid smoke".

put a tray of ice in the smoker to help keep the temp down for cold smoking.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> salmon is one of the things i am interested in cold smoking, Lee
> "Theron" > wrote in message

>>> Cold smoking is quite easy with a Bradley, and is used in some
>>> interesting ways. For instance, when some folk were out front of the
>>> subdivision a few years back putting up Christmas decorations, before
>>> joining them I placed a pound of almonds and a pound of cashews on trays
>>> and smoked them for an hour. By the time the people were ready to get
>>> to work, I had warm, smoked nuts to treat everybody. Smoking cheese is
>>> a matter of taste, of course, but it makes an interesting mini wheel to
>>> let people cut slices from to put on crackers at a party.
>>>
>>> Where I use cold smoking most is to impart a smoke flavor to food that
>>> is ultimately cooked on the grill or microwave. For instance, bulk
>>> bacon can be purchased, sprayed lightly with a 25% solution of maple
>>> syrup and then smoked for 20 minutes or so using an Apple puck. Then,
>>> it can be repackaged, microwaved, fried or even frozen for future use.
>>>
>>> I know one fellow who smoked a half salmon, then just left it in the
>>> refrigerator thinking it'd be preserved. Thank goodness he tossed it
>>> out when he spotted the green. As Nonny mentioned, it's a great way to
>>> add smoke flavor, tough, to chicken, while still preparing it the
>>> traditional way on the grill or even in a fryer.
>>>
>>> Kent

>> Will the Bradley smoke at as low a temp. that you need for "cold smoked
>> salmon"? I think you basically need room temperature smoke, to avoid
>> cooking the salmon. I've kind of given up on that. The next time I get
>> some good fresh wild salmon I'm going to make gravlax and cover the
>> surface with a bit of diluted "liquid smoke".
>>
>> Horrors,
>>
>> Ed

To cold smoke salmon you should cure it first. Make the Scandanivian gravlax
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/132/Gravlax
and then smoke following. I've tried this several times without success.
The salmon ended up stiff and "cooked". I met quite a savvy fellow
Scandinavian who said, shockingly, what I said above. You make the gravlax,
and then apply carefully diluted liquid smoke. I haven't tried that, though
I'm going to.

As others have said, you have to get "cold smoke" to the fish, and you
should to do the curing first. You have to have a smoker that will generate
smoke without heat.

Good Luck

Ed,

BTW I've been using Morton's Tenderquick[salt, sugar .5% sodium nitrite and
..5% sodium nitrate] when making gravlax and I like the slight additional
"cure" taste. That product is good for dry curing.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:56:44 -0700, Wallace wrote:

>>> Kent

>> Will the Bradley smoke at as low a temp. that you need for "cold smoked
>> salmon"? I think you basically need room temperature smoke, to avoid
>> cooking the salmon. I've kind of given up on that. The next time I get
>> some good fresh wild salmon I'm going to make gravlax and cover the
>> surface with a bit of diluted "liquid smoke".

> put a tray of ice in the smoker to help keep the temp down for cold smoking.

Can you use dry ice?

No drip. Less filling.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> salmon is one of the things i am interested in cold smoking,
>> Lee

>>> Will the Bradley smoke at as low a temp. that you need for
>>> "cold smoked salmon"? I think you basically need room
>>> temperature smoke, to avoid cooking the salmon. I've kind of
>>> given up on that. The next time I get some good fresh wild
>>> salmon I'm going to make gravlax and cover the surface with a
>>> bit of diluted "liquid smoke".
>>>
>>> Horrors,
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>

> To cold smoke salmon you should cure it first. Make the
> Scandanivian gravlax
> http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/132/Gravlax
> and then smoke following. I've tried this several times without
> success. The salmon ended up stiff and "cooked". I met quite a
> savvy fellow Scandinavian who said, shockingly, what I said
> above. You make the gravlax, and then apply carefully diluted
> liquid smoke. I haven't tried that, though I'm going to.
>
> As others have said, you have to get "cold smoke" to the fish,
> and you should to do the curing first. You have to have a smoker
> that will generate smoke without heat.
>
> Good Luck

I think we're talking about two different things. In my case, we
purchase a large salmon fillet. From the refrigerator, it's
washed in cold water then laid on a Bradley grate. It's placed in
the Bradley and one or two Alder pucks are used, for a total time
in the smoker of about 20-40 minutes. The fillet is then brought
inside, removed from the rack and coated well with EVOO, followed
by a good dose of dried dill weed and Kosher salt. It's then
taken to the preheated as hot as it can get grill and cooked for
about 5 minutes meat side down, then flipped to the skin side and
cooked until it's the way we like it.

Here in the Nonny house, there's a disagreement between "leave the
fat on," and "scrape the fat off," group. The fillet is first
brought to the cutting board where it's cut into serving-length
pieces and the skin is removed. In the case of "leave the fat
on," it's served with the fat side down and the grill marks/dill
on top. In the case of the "scrape the fat off" group, I use a
fork to gently scrape the fat from the inverted serving, including
the lateral line. Then, like the other, its flipped and served
with the grill marks/dill on top.

In all cases, it's served with ginger butter on the side, and
that's a very popular addition. With the time the salmon fillet
spends in the smoker, I have no concern about it spoiling.

--
Nonny

Government is the great fiction
through which everybody endeavors
to live at the expense of everybody else.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:06:30 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:56:44 -0700, Wallace wrote:
>
>> put a tray of ice in the smoker to help keep the temp down for cold smoking.

> Can you use dry ice?
>
> No drip. Less filling.

Will creosote form if your "steam" is CO2?

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 18, 3:14*pm, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> this is an area i know virtually nothing about. *after reading here and a
> couple of other places i am interested in a general discussion on this
> topic... for/agains? do you do it and on what products? *site
> reccomendations? recipes? the whole deal,

A few years ago I built a box out of plywood to cold-smoke some ham
and bacon, among other things. I made a second smaller box and
attached the two with an aluminum flexable dryer duct. In the small
box, I put one of those plug-in burners and an old cast-iron pan with
wood chips in it. Then set a pie-pan with holes in it upside down on
that. Then setup a computer fan (12 volts - used a spare transformer I
had lying around) to blow into the box, creating higher pressure,
which blew the smoke out of the box down the duct to the large box.
I've heard you want to keep the temp below 100F, but I try to keep it
below 80F. So naturally, it runs best in the cooler weather; but
having the smoke box remote through a duct keeps the temp pretty low.

It worked very well. I still have it out back and plan to use it again
next hog I buy. I may also fire it up for some jerkey and smoked
peppers (I dry the latter completely after smoking). I always put in
some cheese when I run it - turns out fantastic. Also, I've made a
stab at smoking some salt - it came out ok - I use it in recipes
instead of liquid smoke.

-Jeff
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonny" > wrote in message

> "Theron" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>> salmon is one of the things i am interested in cold smoking, Lee

>> To cold smoke salmon you should cure it first. Make the Scandanivian
>> gravlax http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/132/Gravlax
>> and then smoke following. I've tried this several times without success.
>> The salmon ended up stiff and "cooked". I met quite a savvy fellow
>> Scandinavian who said, shockingly, what I said above. You make the
>> gravlax, and then apply carefully diluted liquid smoke. I haven't tried
>> that, though I'm going to.
>>
>> As others have said, you have to get "cold smoke" to the fish, and you
>> should to do the curing first. You have to have a smoker that will
>> generate smoke without heat.
>>
>> Good Luck

> I think we're talking about two different things. In my case, we purchase
> a large salmon fillet. From the refrigerator, it's washed in cold water
> then laid on a Bradley grate. It's placed in the Bradley and one or two
> Alder pucks are used, for a total time in the smoker of about 20-40
> minutes. The fillet is then brought inside, removed from the rack and
> coated well with EVOO, followed by a good dose of dried dill weed and
> Kosher salt. It's then taken to the preheated as hot as it can get grill
> and cooked for about 5 minutes meat side down, then flipped to the skin
> side and cooked until it's the way we like it.
>
> Here in the Nonny house, there's a disagreement between "leave the fat
> on," and "scrape the fat off," group. The fillet is first brought to the
> cutting board where it's cut into serving-length pieces and the skin is
> removed. In the case of "leave the fat on," it's served with the fat side
> down and the grill marks/dill on top. In the case of the "scrape the fat
> off" group, I use a fork to gently scrape the fat from the inverted
> serving, including the lateral line. Then, like the other, its flipped
> and served with the grill marks/dill on top.
>
> In all cases, it's served with ginger butter on the side, and that's a
> very popular addition. With the time the salmon fillet spends in the
> smoker, I have no concern about it spoiling.
>
> --
> Nonny

I agree. We are talking about two different things. I think Stormmee is
trying to create smoked salmon with the same soft consistency and taste that
exists in the "cold smoked salmon" you buy packaged at Trader Joe's. That's
what I've been trying to do. It's basically curing and smoking.

One important item I left out is that you should freeze and thaw before
starting unless you know the salmon has been previously frozen, as most wild
"fresh" salmon is. That removes the risk of parasites, and you can eat it
cold smoked.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D D is offline

Stormmee wrote:
> how does your salmon turn out? this is one thing i am very interested in
> doing, Lee

Top posting is common for email but doesn't work so well in the Usenet
groups. You can configure Outlook Express to handle then differently.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:35:54 -0400, D > wrote:

>Stormmee wrote:
>> how does your salmon turn out? this is one thing i am very interested in
>> doing, Lee

>Top posting is common for email but doesn't work so well in the Usenet
>groups. You can configure Outlook Express to handle then differently.

Ummm, D....

If you look back thru Stormmee's (Lee's) posts for a while, you'll see
that the topic was discussed exhaustively. Lee has a screen reader and
she says that none of the systems to make bottom posts work
automatically will function with her screen reader.

Mostly folks who have an issue with her top posting tend to eventually
killfile her to just avoid annoyance.

(I'm not one of them, by the way, but I have no issue with those who
are, nor does Lee)

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

D wrote:

> Stormmee wrote:
>
>> how does your salmon turn out? this is one thing i am very interested
>> in doing, Lee

> Top posting is common for email but doesn't work so well in the Usenet
> groups. You can configure Outlook Express to handle then differently.

Thread dropped in anticipation of the impending 50 or so
posts about top posting that we're going to have to see yet
again.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

D > wrote:
> Stormmee wrote:
> > how does your salmon turn out? this is one thing i am very interested
> > in doing, Lee

> Top posting is common for email but doesn't work so well in the Usenet
> groups. You can configure Outlook Express to handle then differently.

We've been through this many times with many people over the years, D.

As far as I'm concerned, Stormee Lee and Granby, being relatively blind,
are special cases, to whose top-posting I, personally, have no objection.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> this is an area i know virtually nothing about. after reading here and a
> couple of other places i am interested in a general discussion on this
> topic... for/agains? do you do it and on what products? site
> reccomendations? recipes? the whole deal,
>
> Lee

Smoking cheese is a favorite of mine and is easy to do with a Bradley. I
typically do most of my cheese smoking when the temps outside are cooler.
The Bradley is insulated so temps tend to rise a bit even when you have the
main heating element off and just running the puck burner for smoke. If you
want to smoke cheese during the hotter months, then you will need to do a
bit of modification and build a smoking box to hold your food, then attached
the smoke generator to that with a dryer hose. This removes the source of
heat from the smoking chamber. I don't go through that trouble, instead I
smoke a lot of cheese during the cooler months. After I smoke the cheese, I
vacuum seal it and have been able to keep cheese this way for months in the
fridge.

Regardless of how long I am going to be storing the smoked cheese, I vacuum
seal it anyway and let it rest for a few weeks before eating. This seems to
help the smoke flavor 'mellow' a bit. If you eat it too soon after smoking
it can taste like you've dropped it into an ash tray. It takes a bit of
experimenting and practice to get it to how you like it. Some people like
it with a ton of smoke, others are put off by more than just a hint of
smoke. I wouldn't go out and buy the most expensive cheese you can find for
your first attempt, instead practice with smaller quantities first.

Gouda is one of my favorites to smoke. I typically use apple, but sometimes
maple or hickory. Besides gouda, I also like to smoke cheddars, provalone,
swiss, etc...

Cold smoking is also a good way to impart some smokiness to items that would
normally be grilled such as steaks, poultry, seafood, etc.. Cold smoke pork
chops or steaks for 20-30 minutes before tossing them on the grill. Same
goes for seafood such as scallops, prawns, shrimp, etc... Cold smoke a
chicken for 20-30 minutes, then shove a beer can up it's rear and plop it on
the grill.

I've never cold smoked salmon, but lots of people do. You can do a search
for lox and turn up lots of recipes for cold smoking salmon.

Matt

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 18, 3:14*pm, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> this is an area i know virtually nothing about. *after reading here and a
> couple of other places i am interested in a general discussion on this
> topic... for/agains? do you do it and on what products? *site
> reccomendations? recipes? the whole deal,
>
> Lee

We never used a cure in our sausages prior to cold smoking. Never any
problem. Just meat and spices; broth etc. Salt of course, but not
too much. But then we are serious Hungarian Sausage Meisters. No
cure for bacon or ham either.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bent Attorney Esq. wrote:

> We never used a cure in our sausages prior to cold smoking. Never any
> problem. Just meat and spices; broth etc. Salt of course, but not
> too much. But then we are serious Hungarian Sausage Meisters. No
> cure for bacon or ham either.

Smoked, raw pork.

I suppose that would be ok if you get the spices right. Especially
if you were really Hungary.

--
Reg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 21, 3:40*pm, RegForte > wrote:
> Bent Attorney Esq. wrote:
> > We never used a cure in our sausages prior to cold smoking. *Never any
> > problem. *Just meat and spices; broth etc. *Salt of course, but not
> > too much. *But then we are serious Hungarian Sausage Meisters. *No
> > cure for bacon or ham either.

> Smoked, raw pork.
>
> I suppose that would be ok if you get the spices right. Especially
> if you were really Hungary.

Haven't heard that since I was in grade 3.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bent Attorney Esq. wrote:
> On Sep 21, 3:40 pm, RegForte > wrote:
>
>>Bent Attorney Esq. wrote:
>>
>>>We never used a cure in our sausages prior to cold smoking. Never any
>>>problem. Just meat and spices; broth etc. Salt of course, but not
>>>too much. But then we are serious Hungarian Sausage Meisters. No
>>>cure for bacon or ham either.

>>Smoked, raw pork.
>>
>>I suppose that would be ok if you get the spices right. Especially
>>if you were really Hungary.
>>

> Haven't heard that since I was in grade 3.

That's only a year or so, troll.

--
Reg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D D is offline

Desideria wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:35:54 -0400, D > wrote:
>
>> Stormmee wrote:
>>> how does your salmon turn out? this is one thing i am very interested in
>>> doing, Lee

>> Top posting is common for email but doesn't work so well in the Usenet
>> groups. You can configure Outlook Express to handle then differently.

> Ummm, D....
>
> If you look back thru Stormmee's (Lee's) posts for a while, you'll see
> that the topic was discussed exhaustively. Lee has a screen reader and
> she says that none of the systems to make bottom posts work
> automatically will function with her screen reader.
>
> Mostly folks who have an issue with her top posting tend to eventually
> killfile her to just avoid annoyance.
>
> (I'm not one of them, by the way, but I have no issue with those who
> are, nor does Lee)
>

> Desideria

If you are saying she has a vision problem, then I apologize for my
suggestion.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D D is offline

Nick Cramer wrote:
> D > wrote:
>> Stormmee wrote:
>>> how does your salmon turn out? this is one thing i am very interested
>>> in doing, Lee

>> Top posting is common for email but doesn't work so well in the Usenet
>> groups. You can configure Outlook Express to handle then differently.

> We've been through this many times with many people over the years, D.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, Stormee Lee and Granby, being relatively blind,
> are special cases, to whose top-posting I, personally, have no objection.

Got it, and I agree. I had no idea.

Apologies to all!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D D is offline

Bent Attorney Esq. wrote:
> On Sep 21, 3:40 pm, RegForte > wrote:
>> Bent Attorney Esq. wrote:
>>> We never used a cure in our sausages prior to cold smoking. Never any
>>> problem. Just meat and spices; broth etc. Salt of course, but not
>>> too much. But then we are serious Hungarian Sausage Meisters. No
>>> cure for bacon or ham either.

>> Smoked, raw pork.
>>
>> I suppose that would be ok if you get the spices right. Especially
>> if you were really Hungary.
>>

> Haven't heard that since I was in grade 3.

This is a civil group. Take your attacks elsewhere. There are may
group full of a-holes out there!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Matt" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> this is an area i know virtually nothing about. after reading here and a
>> couple of other places i am interested in a general discussion on this
>> topic... for/agains? do you do it and on what products? site
>> reccomendations? recipes? the whole deal,
>>
>> Lee
>>

> Smoking cheese is a favorite of mine and is easy to do with a Bradley. I
> typically do most of my cheese smoking when the temps outside are cooler.
> The Bradley is insulated so temps tend to rise a bit even when you have
> the main heating element off and just running the puck burner for smoke.
> If you want to smoke cheese during the hotter months, then you will need
> to do a bit of modification and build a smoking box to hold your food,
> then attached the smoke generator to that with a dryer hose. This removes
> the source of heat from the smoking chamber. I don't go through that
> trouble, instead I smoke a lot of cheese during the cooler months. After
> I smoke the cheese, I vacuum seal it and have been able to keep cheese
> this way for months in the fridge.
>
> Regardless of how long I am going to be storing the smoked cheese, I
> vacuum seal it anyway and let it rest for a few weeks before eating. This
> seems to help the smoke flavor 'mellow' a bit. If you eat it too soon
> after smoking it can taste like you've dropped it into an ash tray. It
> takes a bit of experimenting and practice to get it to how you like it.
> Some people like it with a ton of smoke, others are put off by more than
> just a hint of smoke. I wouldn't go out and buy the most expensive cheese
> you can find for your first attempt, instead practice with smaller
> quantities first.
>
> Gouda is one of my favorites to smoke. I typically use apple, but
> sometimes maple or hickory. Besides gouda, I also like to smoke cheddars,
> provalone, swiss, etc...
>
> Cold smoking is also a good way to impart some smokiness to items that
> would normally be grilled such as steaks, poultry, seafood, etc.. Cold
> smoke pork chops or steaks for 20-30 minutes before tossing them on the
> grill. Same goes for seafood such as scallops, prawns, shrimp, etc...
> Cold smoke a chicken for 20-30 minutes, then shove a beer can up it's rear
> and plop it on the grill.
>
> I've never cold smoked salmon, but lots of people do. You can do a search
> for lox and turn up lots of recipes for cold smoking salmon.
>
> Matt

Lox, like gravlax, is raw cured salmon. It isn't smoked. To create cold
smoked salmon, or Nova lox, you have to do what Jeff above is saying,
generate smoke that's essentially at room temperature to smoke the cured
fish. I don't think any of the smokers on the market for consumers can do
this. They all "cook" the salmon more than you want. We're back to liquid
smoke, for the most part.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:

> Lox, like gravlax, is raw cured salmon. It isn't smoked. To create
> cold smoked salmon, or Nova lox, you have to do what Jeff above is
> saying, generate smoke that's essentially at room temperature to
> smoke the cured fish. I don't think any of the smokers on the market
> for consumers can do this. They all "cook" the salmon more than you
> want. We're back to liquid smoke, for the most part.

A prime example of why you are such a hemmorhoid, Kent. As I said in a post,
you like to nit-pick on stuff to which you have NO knowledge, and you will
argue ad infinitum. Just how much time have you logged using the Bradley,
Kent? How much time have you logged using the cold-smoking add-on to the
Bradley? Don't bother answering, most of us already know the answer.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 20:55:53 -0400, D wrote:

> If you are saying she has a vision problem, then I apologize for my
> suggestion.

You're not the first one to fall into this trap. I did, too. And I
took a beating for not reading every post there is here.

You are hereby whipped and shunned forever for not paying attention.
You and I shall go to hell the way of thou who shall not be named.

I just killfiled them, and two others. But now I can't make heads
or tails of this group. Kent is the only balance.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 23:21:51 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 20:55:53 -0400, D wrote:
>
>> If you are saying she has a vision problem, then I apologize for my
>> suggestion.

>You're not the first one to fall into this trap. I did, too. And I
>took a beating for not reading every post there is here.
>
>You are hereby whipped and shunned forever for not paying attention.
>You and I shall go to hell the way of thou who shall not be named.
>
>I just killfiled them, and two others. But now I can't make heads
>or tails of this group. Kent is the only balance.
>
>-sw

*snort*

I doubt the shunning part, but I'd be willing to consider making you a
whipping boy if you ask REALLY nicely...

which might prove that in fact the rest of us are all unbalanced!

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 21, 4:52*pm, RegForte > wrote:
> Bent Attorney Esq. wrote:

> >>Smoked, raw pork.

> >>I suppose that would be ok if you get the spices right. Especially
> >>if you were really Hungary.

> > Haven't heard that since I was in grade 3.

> That's only a year or so, troll.

You were in grade 3 last year? That's OK. I'm a charitable person
and am open to input even from youngsters(unless you're going back to
complete your education).
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 21, 8:59*pm, D > wrote:
> Bent Attorney Esq. wrote:
> >> Smoked, raw pork.

> >> I suppose that would be ok if you get the spices right. Especially
> >> if you were really Hungary.

> > Haven't heard that since I was in grade 3.

> This is a civil group. *Take your attacks elsewhere. *There are may
> group full of a-holes out there!

My attacks? What you talkin' about? I was laughing with him not at
him. Besides, this group is hardly civil.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D D is offline

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 20:55:53 -0400, D wrote:
>
>> If you are saying she has a vision problem, then I apologize for my
>> suggestion.

> You're not the first one to fall into this trap. I did, too. And I
> took a beating for not reading every post there is here.
>
> You are hereby whipped and shunned forever for not paying attention.
> You and I shall go to hell the way of thou who shall not be named.
>
> I just killfiled them, and two others. But now I can't make heads
> or tails of this group. Kent is the only balance.
>
> -sw

I'll skip the killfiles for a while and see what happens. Only "Bent"
seems to be the jerk-o-the-day.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 22, 8:39*pm, D > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 20:55:53 -0400, D wrote:

> >> If you are saying she has a vision problem, then I apologize for my
> >> suggestion.

> > You're not the first one to fall into this trap. *I did, too. *And I
> > took a beating for not reading every post there is here.

> > You are hereby whipped and shunned forever for not paying attention.
> > You and I shall go to hell the way of thou who shall not be named.

> > I just killfiled them, and two others. *But now I can't make heads
> > or tails of this group. *Kent is the only balance.

> > -sw

> I'll skip the killfiles for a while and see what happens. *Only "Bent"
> seems to be the jerk-o-the-day.

Stop talking about yourself jerkoffski. You can't hack it I stand up
to you and your cliquish troll buddies.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

you are corrrect, i am interested in the item like at TJ i love it on wheat
crackers with sharp cheddar, Lee
"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Nonny" > wrote in message

>>> To cold smoke salmon you should cure it first. Make the Scandanivian
>>> gravlax http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/132/Gravlax
>>> and then smoke following. I've tried this several times without
>>> success. The salmon ended up stiff and "cooked". I met quite a savvy
>>> fellow Scandinavian who said, shockingly, what I said above. You make
>>> the gravlax, and then apply carefully diluted liquid smoke. I haven't
>>> tried that, though I'm going to.
>>>
>>> As others have said, you have to get "cold smoke" to the fish, and you
>>> should to do the curing first. You have to have a smoker that will
>>> generate smoke without heat.
>>>
>>> Good Luck

>> I think we're talking about two different things. In my case, we
>> purchase a large salmon fillet. From the refrigerator, it's washed in
>> cold water then laid on a Bradley grate. It's placed in the Bradley and
>> one or two Alder pucks are used, for a total time in the smoker of about
>> 20-40 minutes. The fillet is then brought inside, removed from the rack
>> and coated well with EVOO, followed by a good dose of dried dill weed and
>> Kosher salt. It's then taken to the preheated as hot as it can get grill
>> and cooked for about 5 minutes meat side down, then flipped to the skin
>> side and cooked until it's the way we like it.
>>
>> Here in the Nonny house, there's a disagreement between "leave the fat
>> on," and "scrape the fat off," group. The fillet is first brought to the
>> cutting board where it's cut into serving-length pieces and the skin is
>> removed. In the case of "leave the fat on," it's served with the fat
>> side down and the grill marks/dill on top. In the case of the "scrape
>> the fat off" group, I use a fork to gently scrape the fat from the
>> inverted serving, including the lateral line. Then, like the other, its
>> flipped and served with the grill marks/dill on top.
>>
>> In all cases, it's served with ginger butter on the side, and that's a
>> very popular addition. With the time the salmon fillet spends in the
>> smoker, I have no concern about it spoiling.
>>
>> --
>> Nonny
>>

> I agree. We are talking about two different things. I think Stormmee is
> trying to create smoked salmon with the same soft consistency and taste
> that exists in the "cold smoked salmon" you buy packaged at Trader Joe's.
> That's what I've been trying to do. It's basically curing and smoking.
>
> One important item I left out is that you should freeze and thaw before
> starting unless you know the salmon has been previously frozen, as most
> wild "fresh" salmon is. That removes the risk of parasites, and you can
> eat it cold smoked.
>
> Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

interesting thanks, Lee

"JeffH" > wrote in message
On Sep 18, 3:14 pm, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> this is an area i know virtually nothing about. after reading here and a
> couple of other places i am interested in a general discussion on this
> topic... for/agains? do you do it and on what products? site
> reccomendations? recipes? the whole deal,

A few years ago I built a box out of plywood to cold-smoke some ham
and bacon, among other things. I made a second smaller box and
attached the two with an aluminum flexable dryer duct. In the small
box, I put one of those plug-in burners and an old cast-iron pan with
wood chips in it. Then set a pie-pan with holes in it upside down on
that. Then setup a computer fan (12 volts - used a spare transformer I
had lying around) to blow into the box, creating higher pressure,
which blew the smoke out of the box down the duct to the large box.
I've heard you want to keep the temp below 100F, but I try to keep it
below 80F. So naturally, it runs best in the cooler weather; but
having the smoke box remote through a duct keeps the temp pretty low.

It worked very well. I still have it out back and plan to use it again
next hog I buy. I may also fire it up for some jerkey and smoked
peppers (I dry the latter completely after smoking). I always put in
some cheese when I run it - turns out fantastic. Also, I've made a
stab at smoking some salt - it came out ok - I use it in recipes
instead of liquid smoke.

-Jeff

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

if my posting style offends you please feel free to kf me, and have a nice
time reading here lots of information here, Lee

"D" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> how does your salmon turn out? this is one thing i am very interested in
>> doing, Lee

> Top posting is common for email but doesn't work so well in the Usenet
> groups. You can configure Outlook Express to handle then differently.

Cold Smoking in a Bullet Smoker Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 3 21-04-2012 06:00 AM
cold smoking question Bob Barbecue 6 23-06-2007 03:01 AM
Looking for information about Cold Smoking as a means of preservation. mj Preserving 9 09-11-2006 02:43 PM
Cold smoking in WSM WiScottsin Barbecue 153 17-09-2004 02:35 AM