Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Recipe: Rubs and Mops

Have or do any of you combine your rub with your mop? It strikes me that
when you rub with different seasonings than you mop with how do you know
what you have at the end.

I'm doing a "lo and slow" rack of St. Louis ribs, as I sit and as done
he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETXRS...eature=related , as in the
episode, with a plain mustard and dry rub. I got this rub recipe from the
same site. I thought I'd try it because I've never used anywhere near this
much sugar before.

..25 cup sugar
..25 cup brown sugar
..25 cup paprika
1TB Black Peppr
1 TB Garlic Powder
1 TB Onion Powder
1 TB Chili Powder
1 TB Cayenne Pepper

Then I'm going to mix the above unused rub with water, simmer it, and then
add vinegar to taste. Then I'm going to add powdered mustard and olive oil
to make a vinegarette to use as a mop. I'm experimenting with the ratio of
seasonings to water to vinegar to mustard powder and to olive oil. I will
then have the same seasonings in the meat from beginning to end.

It strikes me that this might tell you more easily what you might want to
change next time.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I NEVER Mop. If you are lookin' you are NOT cookin'.

"Theron" > wrote in message
> Have or do any of you combine your rub with your mop? It strikes me that
> when you rub with different seasonings than you mop with how do you know
> what you have at the end.
>
> I'm doing a "lo and slow" rack of St. Louis ribs, as I sit and as done
> he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETXRS...eature=related , as in
> the episode, with a plain mustard and dry rub. I got this rub recipe from
> the same site. I thought I'd try it because I've never used anywhere near
> this much sugar before.
>
> .25 cup sugar
> .25 cup brown sugar
> .25 cup paprika
> 1TB Black Peppr
> 1 TB Garlic Powder
> 1 TB Onion Powder
> 1 TB Chili Powder
> 1 TB Cayenne Pepper
>
> Then I'm going to mix the above unused rub with water, simmer it, and then
> add vinegar to taste. Then I'm going to add powdered mustard and olive oil
> to make a vinegarette to use as a mop. I'm experimenting with the ratio of
> seasonings to water to vinegar to mustard powder and to olive oil. I will
> then have the same seasonings in the meat from beginning to end.
>
> It strikes me that this might tell you more easily what you might want to
> change next time.
>
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks,
>
> Ed

Do you still brine your meat on your carport?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message
> Have or do any of you combine your rub with your mop? It strikes me that
> when you rub with different seasonings than you mop with how do you know
> what you have at the end.

I used a mop once about 20 years ago. Did not seem to have much value so I
never did it again. Seems like a lot of work for no gain in flavor.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 12, 3:50*pm, "Theron" > wrote:

> Any thoughts?

Why would you use that dirty ole thing to put a rub on?

We don't have a mop anymore at our house and don't think the swiffer
would work too well either.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:50:32 -0700, "Theron" >
wrote:

>Have or do any of you combine your rub with your mop? It strikes me that
>when you rub with different seasonings than you mop with how do you know
>what you have at the end.
>
> I'm doing a "lo and slow" rack of St. Louis ribs, as I sit and as done
>he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETXRS...eature=related , as in the
>episode, with a plain mustard and dry rub. I got this rub recipe from the
>same site. I thought I'd try it because I've never used anywhere near this
>much sugar before.
>
>.25 cup sugar
>.25 cup brown sugar
>.25 cup paprika
>1TB Black Peppr
>1 TB Garlic Powder
>1 TB Onion Powder
>1 TB Chili Powder
>1 TB Cayenne Pepper
>
>Then I'm going to mix the above unused rub with water, simmer it, and then
>add vinegar to taste. Then I'm going to add powdered mustard and olive oil
>to make a vinegarette to use as a mop. I'm experimenting with the ratio of
>seasonings to water to vinegar to mustard powder and to olive oil. I will
>then have the same seasonings in the meat from beginning to end.
>
>It strikes me that this might tell you more easily what you might want to
>change next time.
>
>Any thoughts?
>Thanks,
>
>Ed

I don't mop for the same reasons others have already stated.

My rub contains the same stuff you are using with the exception of the
sugar, but in different amounts. I also put in cellery salt, and just
a bit of clover powder. Not enough to taste it, but it brings out the
other flavors.

In place of sugar I use Splenda. Not because I can't have sugar, but
becase it handles heat allot better. Does not burn like sugar does.

Burn points:

Sugar around 265
Splenda somewhere over 350 (it's melting point)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Report on Mop

"Theron" > wrote in message
> Have or do any of you combine your rub with your mop? It strikes me that
> when you rub with different seasonings than you mop with how do you know
> what you have at the end.
>
> I'm doing a "lo and slow" rack of St. Louis ribs, as I sit and as done
> he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETXRS...eature=related , as in
> the episode, with a plain mustard and dry rub. I got this rub recipe from
> the same site. I thought I'd try it because I've never used anywhere near
> this much sugar before.
>
> .25 cup sugar
> .25 cup brown sugar
> .25 cup paprika
> 1TB Black Peppr
> 1 TB Garlic Powder
> 1 TB Onion Powder
> 1 TB Chili Powder
> 1 TB Cayenne Pepper
>
> Then I'm going to mix the above unused rub with water, simmer it, and then
> add vinegar to taste. Then I'm going to add powdered mustard and olive oil
> to make a vinegarette to use as a mop. I'm experimenting with the ratio of
> seasonings to water to vinegar to mustard powder and to olive oil. I will
> then have the same seasonings in the meat from beginning to end.
> >

> Ed

I mixed the remaining rub into a small amount of water and simmered it to
dissolve the sugar. I added vinegar and oil, quite a lot of oil, as you
would in a vinaigrette. I added additional mustard to emulsify. The idea was
to create something similar to what you would put on salad, or a
vinaigrette. After about an hour at 250F I began to paint the ribs
periodically with the vinaigrette[after a vigorous whisking]. The ribs were
done after four hours.

I think the above enhanced the flavor of the ribs. The rub seasonings were
added to the ribs throughout the cooking period. The vinaigrette keeps the
ribs from drying out. I know that sounds strange, to apply something oil
based to something fatty to begin with. It kept the meat moist. There was no
drying out on the surface. I didn't feel the ribs had any more fat than they
would have with without a mop or with a totally watery mop.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:38:11 -0700, "Theron" >
wrote:

>"Theron" > wrote in message
>> Have or do any of you combine your rub with your mop? It strikes me that
>> when you rub with different seasonings than you mop with how do you know
>> what you have at the end.
>>
>> I'm doing a "lo and slow" rack of St. Louis ribs, as I sit and as done
>> he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETXRS...eature=related , as in
>> the episode, with a plain mustard and dry rub. I got this rub recipe from
>> the same site. I thought I'd try it because I've never used anywhere near
>> this much sugar before.
>>
>> .25 cup sugar
>> .25 cup brown sugar
>> .25 cup paprika
>> 1TB Black Peppr
>> 1 TB Garlic Powder
>> 1 TB Onion Powder
>> 1 TB Chili Powder
>> 1 TB Cayenne Pepper
>>
>> Then I'm going to mix the above unused rub with water, simmer it, and then
>> add vinegar to taste. Then I'm going to add powdered mustard and olive oil
>> to make a vinegarette to use as a mop. I'm experimenting with the ratio of
>> seasonings to water to vinegar to mustard powder and to olive oil. I will
>> then have the same seasonings in the meat from beginning to end.
>> >

>> Ed
>>

>I mixed the remaining rub into a small amount of water and simmered it to
>dissolve the sugar. I added vinegar and oil, quite a lot of oil, as you
>would in a vinaigrette. I added additional mustard to emulsify. The idea was
>to create something similar to what you would put on salad, or a
>vinaigrette. After about an hour at 250F I began to paint the ribs
>periodically with the vinaigrette[after a vigorous whisking]. The ribs were
>done after four hours.
>
>I think the above enhanced the flavor of the ribs. The rub seasonings were
>added to the ribs throughout the cooking period. The vinaigrette keeps the
>ribs from drying out. I know that sounds strange, to apply something oil
>based to something fatty to begin with. It kept the meat moist. There was no
>drying out on the surface. I didn't feel the ribs had any more fat than they
>would have with without a mop or with a totally watery mop.
>
>Ed

I'm glad it worked out for you Ed. I personally never have a problem
with dryness, and I do not mop.

No offence, but some people do not like salad dressing flavoring up
their ribs. I am one of those people. That said, if YOU like them that
way, GREAT!!!

BTW, the oil isn't strange as oil does a good job of carrying the
flavers into meat, that is why oils work well in a marinade.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:38:11 -0700, "Theron" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Theron" > wrote in message
>>> Have or do any of you combine your rub with your mop? It strikes me that
>>> when you rub with different seasonings than you mop with how do you know
>>> what you have at the end.
>>>
>>> I'm doing a "lo and slow" rack of St. Louis ribs, as I sit and as done
>>> he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETXRS...eature=related , as in
>>> the episode, with a plain mustard and dry rub. I got this rub recipe
>>> from
>>> the same site. I thought I'd try it because I've never used anywhere
>>> near
>>> this much sugar before.
>>>
>>> .25 cup sugar
>>> .25 cup brown sugar
>>> .25 cup paprika
>>> 1TB Black Peppr
>>> 1 TB Garlic Powder
>>> 1 TB Onion Powder
>>> 1 TB Chili Powder
>>> 1 TB Cayenne Pepper
>>>
>>> Then I'm going to mix the above unused rub with water, simmer it, and
>>> then
>>> add vinegar to taste. Then I'm going to add powdered mustard and olive
>>> oil
>>> to make a vinegarette to use as a mop. I'm experimenting with the ratio
>>> of
>>> seasonings to water to vinegar to mustard powder and to olive oil. I
>>> will
>>> then have the same seasonings in the meat from beginning to end.
>>> >
>>> Ed
>>>

>>I mixed the remaining rub into a small amount of water and simmered it to
>>dissolve the sugar. I added vinegar and oil, quite a lot of oil, as you
>>would in a vinaigrette. I added additional mustard to emulsify. The idea
>>was
>>to create something similar to what you would put on salad, or a
>>vinaigrette. After about an hour at 250F I began to paint the ribs
>>periodically with the vinaigrette[after a vigorous whisking]. The ribs
>>were
>>done after four hours.
>>
>>I think the above enhanced the flavor of the ribs. The rub seasonings were
>>added to the ribs throughout the cooking period. The vinaigrette keeps the
>>ribs from drying out. I know that sounds strange, to apply something oil
>>based to something fatty to begin with. It kept the meat moist. There was
>>no
>>drying out on the surface. I didn't feel the ribs had any more fat than
>>they
>>would have with without a mop or with a totally watery mop.
>>
>>Ed
>>

> I'm glad it worked out for you Ed. I personally never have a problem
> with dryness, and I do not mop.
>
> No offence, but some people do not like salad dressing flavoring up
> their ribs. I am one of those people. That said, if YOU like them that
> way, GREAT!!!
>
> BTW, the oil isn't strange as oil does a good job of carrying the
> flavers into meat, that is why oils work well in a marinade.

How do you keep your ribs from getting too dry? Do you use a water pan? As I
asked in another post, what's your cooking time and temp, and your
"turnover" interval? Are you using a smoker, or like me, a "round Weber"? I
know many place a layer of sauce on the surface of the ribs during the end
of the cooking period to flavor. That would also keep the surface from
drying out. I'm trying to do ribs without a sauce on top at the end.
Thanks much for any advice,

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:48:46 -0700, "Theron" >
wrote:

>"Gene" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:38:11 -0700, "Theron" >
>> wrote:

>>>I mixed the remaining rub into a small amount of water and simmered it to
>>>dissolve the sugar. I added vinegar and oil, quite a lot of oil, as you
>>>would in a vinaigrette. I added additional mustard to emulsify. The idea
>>>was
>>>to create something similar to what you would put on salad, or a
>>>vinaigrette. After about an hour at 250F I began to paint the ribs
>>>periodically with the vinaigrette[after a vigorous whisking]. The ribs
>>>were
>>>done after four hours.
>>>
>>>I think the above enhanced the flavor of the ribs. The rub seasonings were
>>>added to the ribs throughout the cooking period. The vinaigrette keeps the
>>>ribs from drying out. I know that sounds strange, to apply something oil
>>>based to something fatty to begin with. It kept the meat moist. There was
>>>no
>>>drying out on the surface. I didn't feel the ribs had any more fat than
>>>they
>>>would have with without a mop or with a totally watery mop.
>>>
>>>Ed
>>>

>> I'm glad it worked out for you Ed. I personally never have a problem
>> with dryness, and I do not mop.
>>
>> No offence, but some people do not like salad dressing flavoring up
>> their ribs. I am one of those people. That said, if YOU like them that
>> way, GREAT!!!
>>
>> BTW, the oil isn't strange as oil does a good job of carrying the
>> flavers into meat, that is why oils work well in a marinade.
>>

>How do you keep your ribs from getting too dry? Do you use a water pan? As I
>asked in another post, what's your cooking time and temp, and your
>"turnover" interval? Are you using a smoker, or like me, a "round Weber"? I
>know many place a layer of sauce on the surface of the ribs during the end
>of the cooking period to flavor. That would also keep the surface from
>drying out. I'm trying to do ribs without a sauce on top at the end.
>Thanks much for any advice,
>
>Ed

This might be a tad long winded.

I use a pan but fill it with sand. Using water only makes you open
your rig to add more water. When you open the rig 2 things happen.
1-you lose some heat, 2- you help draw moisture out. Maybe not much,
but why bother. Use sand. Sand will work better to prevent heat spikes
up or down. IMHO drying out occurs as heat leaches out of the walls of
your rig, this helps to leach moisture out of your meat. Some others
may disagree, but it is IMHO. I use a smoker and it is insolated. I
used a bullet smoker prior to my stand up and wrapped it in thermal
wrap. I also do not over trim my meat. I do remove the back skin. If
the meat is TOO lean, I throw some bacon on it. But I almost never
have to.

Time is done when done. 4 1/2-6 hrs depending on all sorts of factors.
Size and weight of the ribs, humidity, wind, rain, etc.

I try to maintain 220 degrees but sometimes end up at 225-250. I
would say 90% of the time I maintain 225.

If by turn over interval you mean "When do you turn over your ribs" I
don't. I smoke them standing up on a rack, Bigger bone side down.
This may help with the moisture issue, but truth be told, I never
really thought about it.

I do not sauce to maintain moisture. I do not sauce. I offer sauce on
the table that has been smoked with the meat on another shelf. If I am
cooking butt for a group (screw'em, let them pay for the ribs if they
want them) I might offer several sauces, mild, med., and hot.

If your ribs are turning out dry on your Webber, I think it might be
due to the thin walls, coupled with repeated lifting of the lid to
check on the meat. You could also be using charcoal briquettes and the
shit they put in them may be effecting the dry out factor. Just a
guess. Try natural lump.

I hope this helps. I hope I didn't leave anything out.

A few years back I found this group. The advice I got here as well as
the web sites these guys told me about have helped SOOOO much. I could
smoke ribs prior, but I was inconsistent as all hell.

I tried allot of what these folks advised. Some things worked for me,
others did not. Prob. because I missed something in reading. But look,
listen, try it, and discover. This way you will not repeat the same
mistakes others before you have made. You will make NEW mistakes all
on your own

Part of the satisfaction of completing a journey is not that you made
it to the end, but all the things you over came to do so. The rewards
can be endless!

Cheers!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>"Gene" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:38:11 -0700, "Theron" >
>> wrote:

>>>I mixed the remaining rub into a small amount of water and simmered it to
>>>dissolve the sugar. I added vinegar and oil, quite a lot of oil, as you
>>>would in a vinaigrette. I added additional mustard to emulsify. The idea
>>>was
>>>to create something similar to what you would put on salad, or a
>>>vinaigrette. After about an hour at 250F I began to paint the ribs
>>>periodically with the vinaigrette[after a vigorous whisking]. The ribs
>>>were
>>>done after four hours.
>>>
>>>I think the above enhanced the flavor of the ribs. The rub seasonings were
>>>added to the ribs throughout the cooking period. The vinaigrette keeps the
>>>ribs from drying out. I know that sounds strange, to apply something oil
>>>based to something fatty to begin with. It kept the meat moist. There was
>>>no
>>>drying out on the surface. I didn't feel the ribs had any more fat than
>>>they
>>>would have with without a mop or with a totally watery mop.
>>>
>>>Ed
>>>

>> I'm glad it worked out for you Ed. I personally never have a problem
>> with dryness, and I do not mop.
>>
>> No offence, but some people do not like salad dressing flavoring up
>> their ribs. I am one of those people. That said, if YOU like them that
>> way, GREAT!!!
>>
>> BTW, the oil isn't strange as oil does a good job of carrying the
>> flavers into meat, that is why oils work well in a marinade.
>>

>How do you keep your ribs from getting too dry? Do you use a water pan? As I
>asked in another post, what's your cooking time and temp, and your
>"turnover" interval? Are you using a smoker, or like me, a "round Weber"? I
>know many place a layer of sauce on the surface of the ribs during the end
>of the cooking period to flavor. That would also keep the surface from
>drying out. I'm trying to do ribs without a sauce on top at the end.
>Thanks much for any advice,
>
>Ed

Left something out. I also rub my meat with CYM. It helps keep the rub
on and as it cooks, IMHO, the CYM along with the rub help to keep the
moisture in. I think.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:48:46 -0700, "Theron" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Gene" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I'm glad it worked out for you Ed. I personally never have a problem
>>> with dryness, and I do not mop.
>>>
>>> No offence, but some people do not like salad dressing flavoring up
>>> their ribs. I am one of those people. That said, if YOU like them that
>>> way, GREAT!!!
>>>
>>> BTW, the oil isn't strange as oil does a good job of carrying the
>>> flavers into meat, that is why oils work well in a marinade.
>>>

>>How do you keep your ribs from getting too dry? Do you use a water pan? As
>>asked in another post, what's your cooking time and temp, and your
>>"turnover" interval? Are you using a smoker, or like me, a "round Weber"?
>>know many place a layer of sauce on the surface of the ribs during the end
>>of the cooking period to flavor. That would also keep the surface from
>>drying out. I'm trying to do ribs without a sauce on top at the end.
>>Thanks much for any advice,
>>
>>Ed
>>

> Left something out. I also rub my meat with CYM. It helps keep the rub
> on and as it cooks, IMHO, the CYM along with the rub help to keep the
> moisture in. I think.

Thanks very much Gene. What kind of a grill and or smoker are you now using?
If you were to buy a new grill or smoker to replace what you're using now
what would it be for low temp. cooking?
Thanks

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

SNIP

>Thanks very much Gene. What kind of a grill and or smoker are you now using?
>If you were to buy a new grill or smoker to replace what you're using now
>what would it be for low temp. cooking?
>Thanks
>
>Ed

I have a Smoke Hollow smoker and 2 grills, one grill is a Brinkman
propane and the other is a charcoal (I use natural lump) grill that I
garbage picked. If I am grilling and in a hurry, I use the brinkman.
If I got more time or am grilling sweet corn I use the charcoal. IMHO
there is nothing like sweet corn cooked over a mesquite fire with lots
of mesq. smoke.

I would buy the Smoke Hollow again and again. Insulated and built to
last.

This is what I think:

1. If you are a good cook to start out with, you stand a better chance
at learning how to Q. Smoking is just another way to cook less tender
cuts of meat and making them tender while using smoke as a seasoning.

2. A real good cook can cook on almost anything. Not bragging but I
have cooked on grills, stoves, the exhaust pipe of 5kw generators
(Army), an engine block, and a wok over camp fire and turkey fryer
burner.

3. Great Q can be made in a clay pot, a cardboard box, a Green Egg, or
just about anything you can engineer to smoke with. A hole in the
ground works too.

Now if you want ease of temp control and no fuss, an electric smoker
can be a good way to go. You won't get a smoke ring on your meat and
you might not get as deep a richness of smoke, but some don't care for
TOO much smoke anyway.

The best Q I have ever had is Q that I cooked. Not because I am that
good, but because I cook it the way I like it. For me and my family.
No one can tell you what YOU like best.

Hope this helps.

Gene
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 14-Sep-2009, Gene > wrote:

> SNIP

> The best Q I have ever had is Q that I cooked. Not because I am that
> good, but because I cook it the way I like it. For me and my family.
> No one can tell you what YOU like best.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Gene

Well said Gene. I've eaten good 'Q' cooked by others, but without
the lure of comaraderie I wouldn't drive across town for 'Q' better
then mine. That said, anytime Big Jim or BobInGa or Jim Stewart
throws out an invite, I'm going to try and make it.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 04:12:51 GMT, "Brick"
> wrote:

>On 14-Sep-2009, Gene > wrote:
>
>> SNIP

>> The best Q I have ever had is Q that I cooked. Not because I am that
>> good, but because I cook it the way I like it. For me and my family.
>> No one can tell you what YOU like best.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gene

>Well said Gene. I've eaten good 'Q' cooked by others, but without
>the lure of comaraderie I wouldn't drive across town for 'Q' better
>then mine. That said, anytime Big Jim or BobInGa or Jim Stewart
>throws out an invite, I'm going to try and make it.

I would ALWAYS go for an invite. Well for real Q anyway!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> SNIP
>
>>Thanks very much Gene. What kind of a grill and or smoker are you now
>>using?
>>If you were to buy a new grill or smoker to replace what you're using now
>>what would it be for low temp. cooking?
>>Thanks
>>
>>Ed
>>

> I have a Smoke Hollow smoker and 2 grills, one grill is a Brinkman
> propane and the other is a charcoal (I use natural lump) grill that I
> garbage picked. If I am grilling and in a hurry, I use the brinkman.
> If I got more time or am grilling sweet corn I use the charcoal. IMHO
> there is nothing like sweet corn cooked over a mesquite fire with lots
> of mesq. smoke.
>
> I would buy the Smoke Hollow again and again. Insulated and built to
> last.
>
> This is what I think:
>
> 1. If you are a good cook to start out with, you stand a better chance
> at learning how to Q. Smoking is just another way to cook less tender
> cuts of meat and making them tender while using smoke as a seasoning.
>
> 2. A real good cook can cook on almost anything. Not bragging but I
> have cooked on grills, stoves, the exhaust pipe of 5kw generators
> (Army), an engine block, and a wok over camp fire and turkey fryer
> burner.
>
> 3. Great Q can be made in a clay pot, a cardboard box, a Green Egg, or
> just about anything you can engineer to smoke with. A hole in the
> ground works too.
>
> Now if you want ease of temp control and no fuss, an electric smoker
> can be a good way to go. You won't get a smoke ring on your meat and
> you might not get as deep a richness of smoke, but some don't care for
> TOO much smoke anyway.
>
> The best Q I have ever had is Q that I cooked. Not because I am that
> good, but because I cook it the way I like it. For me and my family.
> No one can tell you what YOU like best.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Gene

Thanks, Gene,

This "Smoke Hollow" smoker looks good. How is it marketed? Can you look at
it in a store? Which electric or gas model do you have that you're
obviously happy with. Can you get it to hold at 225F? From the manual on
their site it looks like it's a fair feat to put it together. Since it seems
to be a small company, will replacement parts in the future be a problem?

Thanks,

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:00:18 -0700, "Theron" >
wrote:

>"Gene" > wrote in message
.. .
>> SNIP
>>
>>>Thanks very much Gene. What kind of a grill and or smoker are you now
>>>using?
>>>If you were to buy a new grill or smoker to replace what you're using now
>>>what would it be for low temp. cooking?
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Ed
>>>

>> I have a Smoke Hollow smoker and 2 grills, one grill is a Brinkman
>> propane and the other is a charcoal (I use natural lump) grill that I
>> garbage picked. If I am grilling and in a hurry, I use the brinkman.
>> If I got more time or am grilling sweet corn I use the charcoal. IMHO
>> there is nothing like sweet corn cooked over a mesquite fire with lots
>> of mesq. smoke.
>>
>> I would buy the Smoke Hollow again and again. Insulated and built to
>> last.
>>
>> This is what I think:
>>
>> 1. If you are a good cook to start out with, you stand a better chance
>> at learning how to Q. Smoking is just another way to cook less tender
>> cuts of meat and making them tender while using smoke as a seasoning.
>>
>> 2. A real good cook can cook on almost anything. Not bragging but I
>> have cooked on grills, stoves, the exhaust pipe of 5kw generators
>> (Army), an engine block, and a wok over camp fire and turkey fryer
>> burner.
>>
>> 3. Great Q can be made in a clay pot, a cardboard box, a Green Egg, or
>> just about anything you can engineer to smoke with. A hole in the
>> ground works too.
>>
>> Now if you want ease of temp control and no fuss, an electric smoker
>> can be a good way to go. You won't get a smoke ring on your meat and
>> you might not get as deep a richness of smoke, but some don't care for
>> TOO much smoke anyway.
>>
>> The best Q I have ever had is Q that I cooked. Not because I am that
>> good, but because I cook it the way I like it. For me and my family.
>> No one can tell you what YOU like best.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gene
>>

>Thanks, Gene,
>
>This "Smoke Hollow" smoker looks good. How is it marketed? Can you look at
>it in a store? Which electric or gas model do you have that you're
>obviously happy with. Can you get it to hold at 225F? From the manual on
>their site it looks like it's a fair feat to put it together. Since it seems
>to be a small company, will replacement parts in the future be a problem?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ed

I have the electric and the regular. The regular is on loan to a
friend right now (hope I will see it again).

These things are VERY EASY to put together. Instructions are very
clear. Both are easy to control but the electric is VERY VERY easy to
hit and hold 225. Damn near fool proof!

No, I do not sell the things. LOL!

They are both under $200. I think I paid $145 on sale at Miejer last
summer around this time of year.

Hit me up tomorrow and I can post some pictures somewhere if you want.

Gene

Rubs Granby Barbecue 104 08-08-2009 12:47 AM
Steam mops Brian Christiansen General Cooking 28 06-03-2008 06:24 PM
Dry Rubs? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 0 11-09-2007 11:00 AM
Carne/Pollo Asada Rubs and Marinades Recipe Ideas? Jim Johansen Barbecue 3 24-07-2007 10:48 AM
About Rubs? Kent Barbecue 4 03-08-2006 05:48 AM