Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Poll on Barbecued Baby Back Ribs

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 13:27:44 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:

> I guess I should be shaking about now... right? If you hadn't been rude
> for no reason, I would have not said anything... would I?
>
> Bubba?
>
> Well, whatever. This is Usenet, and you are entitled to bu a rude git,
> if that is how you want to be known.

I'm the one that was 'rude'. Why are you nit-picking at Dave,
ferchristsakes. Talk about a Drama Queen.

<plonk>

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob Muncie wrote:

> Considering two long timers (Steve and Doug) have decided to act
> inappropriate, I am the bag guy, right?

Who's Doug?

Bob, Insert your left forefiger horizontally between lips and
rapidly (or rabidly) shake finger up and down making blubbering
sounds.

"Bag guy"? By all means, feel free if to if you're
hyperventilating.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 13:27:44 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> I guess I should be shaking about now... right? If you hadn't been rude
>> for no reason, I would have not said anything... would I?
>>
>> Bubba?
>>
>> Well, whatever. This is Usenet, and you are entitled to bu a rude git,
>> if that is how you want to be known.

> I'm the one that was 'rude'. Why are you nit-picking at Dave,
> ferchristsakes. Talk about a Drama Queen.
>
> <plonk>
>
> -sw

Thanks Steve. (no plonk).
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 07 Sep 2009 23:20:33 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:

> What a stupid thing to start a flame war over. LOL

This is an odd one, indeed.

ObFood: Against all warnings, I just ate 7 ounces of Hawaiian
Escolar. 6oz is supposed to be the limit. So far so good.

Interesting fish. It's somewhat sour - like it was fed lemons. I
have no reason to believe it wasn't fresh - unless this fish defies
the usual signs of staleness. Nice texture; the fat is imbedded
into the flesh rather than having streaks like salmon or steelhead.

Bring on the esters, baby!

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> Considering two long timers (Steve and Doug) have decided to act
>> inappropriate, I am the bag guy, right?

> Who's Doug?
>
> Bob, Insert your left forefiger horizontally between lips and
> rapidly (or rabidly) shake finger up and down making blubbering
> sounds.
>
> "Bag guy"? By all means, feel free if to if you're
> hyperventilating.
>
> -sw

Thanks for pointing that out. I meant "Dave", not Doug. Sue me for
multiplexing when I should have been paying more attention.

But then again, you could have just kept your rudeness to yourself.

I'm sorry to have expected you to act as an adult.

Good-bye Steve. You are filtered now, so you can keep mister snide to
yourself, or howl at the moon. Your choice.

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob Muncie wrote:

>> I don't cook no baby backs
>> Big Jim
>>

> So you are the other long term guy I'm supposed to be rude to... Well,
> "keep smoking dude" (note a funny here). I'm not going to be rude to
> you, until you are to me.

You're so full of shit that you have dung beetles for brains. Big Jim did
all of the things that you accused me of doing, and so have a number of
others, and yet you back off trying to lecture them about rudeness. What a
sad asshat you are.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 15:31:04 -0400, Craig Watts wrote:

>> Classic Yellow Mustard
>>
>> Or
>>
>> Creamy Yellow Mustard
>>
>> And don't let anybody tell you different.

> You guys are cheap, classic and common.

Afraid to call us creamy, eh?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob Muncie wrote:

> I agree that was "my bad".
>
> Would it surprise you for me to say, I'd rather just see on topic
> posts?
> Sorry to have offended anyone here, to include the three that chose to
> be rude to me on a personal level.

YOU started the rude thing, you asshole, by attempting your failed Miss
Manners impression.

> I'd rather just be a good usenet community person. I also happen to
> like BBQ. Grilling also when I have the appropriate piece of meat.

You're a usenet ass.

> Again, thanks Brick.

God, what a pathetic suck-up.

> I was being reactive when the better choice would have been to stay
> off the keyboard.

You can't help yourself. You do it all the time.

> But I do draw the line at you saying I'm being abusive.

You are. You abuse the senses by being a total prat.

>I should have
> kept my trap shut when someone else was rude,

No one was rude. Your inability to GET that proves your asshat-edness yet
again.

>but I still do not
> regret my response.

Most sociopaths don't.

>I abused nothing other than having responded
> where silence would have served better. I was not a profane or
> abusive poster. That rests with the other three.

Sorry ****-face, you started it, now you live with the consequences.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Sep-2009, Bob Muncie > wrote:

> Brick wrote:

.. . .

> > If you insist on carrying on about who insulted who, so be it. This
> > is usenet. And you are abusing it.

.. . .

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 15:41:19 -0700, "Theron" >
wrote:

>I'm ready to head to the breezeway and start on a rack of baby back ribs. I

>Ed

I have read, maybe here or over at ABF or somewhere else that it's a
waste of money to get baby backs. Go with spare ribs, just as good
and cheaper too.
I used to go with Costco baby back but switched to spares and I've
never turned back.
Eddie

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Dave Bugg said:
>> Bob Muncie wrote:
>>
>> A continuing blog on Asshat-edness.

> He's been in my KF almost from day one. I had a read on that particular
> infection right from the start.
>
> Some folks have been considerably more tolerant. I guess that means I am not
> nice either. At least I'm in good company with Dave!
>
> A well placed plonk minimized the rash for me.
>
> MartyB

Well, consider yourself if good company then.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Classic Yellow Mustard
>>> Or
>>> Creamy Yellow Mustard
>>> And don't let anybody tell you different.

>> You guys are cheap, classic and common.

> Afraid to call us creamy, eh?

ROTFL
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On 07 Sep 2009 23:20:33 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:
>
> > What a stupid thing to start a flame war over. LOL

> This is an odd one, indeed.
>
> ObFood: Against all warnings, I just ate 7 ounces of Hawaiian
> Escolar. 6oz is supposed to be the limit. So far so good.
>
> Interesting fish. It's somewhat sour - like it was fed lemons. I
> have no reason to believe it wasn't fresh - unless this fish defies
> the usual signs of staleness. Nice texture; the fat is imbedded
> into the flesh rather than having streaks like salmon or steelhead.
>
> Bring on the esters, baby!

Did you grill it? That's supposed to minimize the 'after effects'. Good
luck, Steve!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> Dave Bugg said:
> > Bob Muncie wrote:
> >
> > A continuing blog on Asshat-edness.

> He's been in my KF almost from day one. I had a read on that particular
> infection right from the start.
>
> Some folks have been considerably more tolerant. I guess that means I am
> not nice either. At least I'm in good company with Dave!
>
> A well placed plonk minimized the rash for me.

We have some disagreements, Marty, but yer nice enuff fer me!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> Eddie said:
> > "Theron" > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm ready to head to the breezeway and start on a rack of baby back
> >> ribs. I

> > I have read, maybe here or over at ABF or somewhere else that it's a
> > waste of money to get baby backs. Go with spare ribs, just as good
> > and cheaper too.
> > I used to go with Costco baby back but switched to spares and I've
> > never turned back.

> St. Louis cut spares are my favorites.

Whole racks here. Waste no meat and I like ta get messy when I eat.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> I don't cook no baby backs

>> I don't cook not baby backs too!

> Me neither, except when Jun used to buy them. She now buys spares.
> What a stupid thing to start a flame war over. LOL

True, pizza is way better!
LOL
Foodies have these things, you know, err, we know...
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:

> Whole racks here. Waste no meat and I like ta get messy when I eat.

Same as here, after a night in "Grasparossa" lambrusco wine they get so
tender, slurp!
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ViLco" > wrote:

> >> I don't cook not baby backs too!

> > Me neither, except when Jun used to buy them. She now buys spares.
> > What a stupid thing to start a flame war over. LOL

> True, pizza is way better!
> LOL
> Foodies have these things, you know, err, we know...

Pizza? Even the dough! Especially if you include bread machine doughs!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Escolar (was: Poll on Barbecued Baby Back Ribs)

On 08 Sep 2009 10:25:47 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On 07 Sep 2009 23:20:33 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:
>>
>> ObFood: Against all warnings, I just ate 7 ounces of Hawaiian
>> Escolar. 6oz is supposed to be the limit. So far so good.
>>
>> Interesting fish. It's somewhat sour - like it was fed lemons. I
>> have no reason to believe it wasn't fresh - unless this fish defies
>> the usual signs of staleness. Nice texture; the fat is imbedded
>> into the flesh rather than having streaks like salmon or steelhead.
>>
>> Bring on the esters, baby!

> Did you grill it? That's supposed to minimize the 'after effects'. Good
> luck, Steve!

I ended up paying the price for eating this last night. For about 8
hours (and still counting). It was really only about 4 ounces - I
forgot I only ate half of what I bought. I pan fried it in half
butter and half EVOO. I don't see how grilling it would reduce the
effects (unless you overcook it, which can be done anyhow).

Looks like Iron-Gut Sqwertz has finally met his match. I got about
2.5 hours of sleep last night.

-sw (still shitting)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ViLco" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>
> > Whole racks here. Waste no meat and I like ta get messy when I eat.

> Same as here, after a night in "Grasparossa" lambrusco wine they get so
> tender, slurp!

Lambrusco Grasparossa di Castelvetro, Reggio Emilia. Strong! You'd get
messy eating anything after a night of that, but you'd sure be happy!!!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:

>> Same as here, after a night in "Grasparossa" lambrusco wine they get
>> so tender, slurp!

> Lambrusco Grasparossa di Castelvetro, Reggio Emilia. Strong! You'd get
> messy eating anything after a night of that, but you'd sure be
> happy!!!

LOL, it was for the meat
It's one of the most tannic lambruscos out there, and you can fidn it made
off-zone i Reggio Emilia or made in-zone, and thusly DOC, in Modena. It's my
fav lambrusco both for drinking and for marinating meats
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 7, 4:04*pm, Bob Muncie > wrote:

> I need to shut up? Pot! meet kettle.

Nope, Reg is one of the nice guys here, hell, he replies politely to
Kent for gawds sake.

> Did your opinion really need to be shared at this point?

Funny, that's exactly what he was asking you, about the majority of
your posts.

One armed rower.... I like that one.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 8, 12:52*am, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
september.invalid> wrote:
> Eddie said:
>

> > On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 15:41:19 -0700, "Theron" >
> > wrote:

> >> I'm ready to head to the breezeway and start on a rack of baby back
> >> ribs. I

> >> Ed

> > I have read, maybe here or over at ABF or somewhere else that it's a
> > waste of money to get baby backs. *Go with spare ribs, just as good
> > and cheaper too.
> > I used to go with Costco baby back but switched to spares and I've
> > never turned back.
> > Eddie

> St. Louis cut spares are my favorites.
>
> MartyB- Hide quoted text -

I'll give you guys (and gals) credit for turning me to spares for my
first ribs (and second batch was smoked Saturday).

For the first batch I had the butched cut them to St. Louis style for
me (while I watched). Not much to it, so I did it myself this
weekend. They were certainly more meaty than baby backs and the
leftovers (tips?) were almost as good as the ribs themselves (and
certainly more messy!).

When cooking the ribs and other stuff, do you pull the other stuff off
earlier? Some of them seemed more dry than the ribs. Or do you just
cook them all the same and deal witht he range of moistness?

Rock (sorry to interrupt a mediocre flame war with a question)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 8, 4:06*am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Looks like Iron-Gut Sqwertz has finally met his match. *I got about
> 2.5 hours of sleep last night.
>
> -sw (still shitting)

The symptoms look amusing. (from a distance)

My favorite:
leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge
can stain clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours
after consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause
frequent urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and
may be accidentally discharged by the passing of gas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar

Like its relative the oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus), it cannot
metabolize the wax esters (Gempylotoxin) naturally found in its diet,
which accumulates to give an oil content in the muscle meat of 18–21%.
These wax esters may rapidly cause gastrointestinal symptoms following
consumption; however, these effects are usually short lived.

The gastrointestinal symptoms, called "keriorrhea", caused by these
wax esters may include oily orange diarrhea, discharge, or leakage
from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge can stain
clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours after
consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause frequent
urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and may be
accidentally discharged by the passing of gas. Symptoms may occur over
a period of one or more days. Other symptoms may include stomach
cramps, loose bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and
vomiting.

To minimize the risk of symptoms, strict control of portion size is
recommended as well as preparation methods that remove some of the
oil. Grilling will greatly reduce the heavy fat content in the fish
making it edible without ill side-effects. Portions should be no
greater than 6 ounces.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 8, 7:30*am, RockPyle > wrote:

> When cooking the ribs and other stuff, do you pull the other stuff off
> earlier? *

You asking about the meat you trimmed off the full rack? Like the
lower flap and whatnot?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

who on earth figured out it smelled like mineral oil? Lee
"Duwop" > wrote in message
On Sep 8, 4:06 am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Looks like Iron-Gut Sqwertz has finally met his match. I got about
> 2.5 hours of sleep last night.
>
> -sw (still shitting)

The symptoms look amusing. (from a distance)

My favorite:
leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge
can stain clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours
after consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause
frequent urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and
may be accidentally discharged by the passing of gas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar

Like its relative the oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus), it cannot
metabolize the wax esters (Gempylotoxin) naturally found in its diet,
which accumulates to give an oil content in the muscle meat of 18–21%.
These wax esters may rapidly cause gastrointestinal symptoms following
consumption; however, these effects are usually short lived.

The gastrointestinal symptoms, called "keriorrhea", caused by these
wax esters may include oily orange diarrhea, discharge, or leakage
from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge can stain
clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours after
consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause frequent
urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and may be
accidentally discharged by the passing of gas. Symptoms may occur over
a period of one or more days. Other symptoms may include stomach
cramps, loose bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and
vomiting.

To minimize the risk of symptoms, strict control of portion size is
recommended as well as preparation methods that remove some of the
oil. Grilling will greatly reduce the heavy fat content in the fish
making it edible without ill side-effects. Portions should be no
greater than 6 ounces.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...
> Duwop said:
>
>> My favorite:
>> leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The
>> discharge
>> can stain clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36
>> hours
>> after consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and
>> cause
>> frequent urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant
>> qualities and
>> may be accidentally discharged by the passing of gas.
>>

> clip
>
> That's disgusting! How did it ever come to pass that this fish
> was used for
> food at all, and actually sold at market?

From the description, it sounds a lot like the pill Xenical or the
half-strength Alli. Both have a similar effect when eating oily
foods.

--
Nonny

Our nation should be more like Illinois
and limit all politicians to just TWO terms:
One in office and the second in prison.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 8, 9:44*am, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
september.invalid> wrote:

> That's disgusting! How did it ever come to pass that this fish was used for
> food at all, and actually sold at market?

By someone with a good (warped?) sense of humor maybe?

King Kamehameha's revenge?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 8, 10:44*am, Duwop > wrote:
> On Sep 8, 7:30*am, RockPyle > wrote:
>

> > When cooking the ribs and other stuff, do you pull the other stuff off
> > earlier? *

> You asking about the meat you trimmed off the full rack? Like the
> lower flap and whatnot?

Yes. I cut the lower flap off and it ended up quite dry. I plan to
chop it up and mix the choppings into baked beans. I also cut the
larger hunks off when I cut the main rack at the rib bones. These
chunks of meat have the more cartilaginous (sp?) bones in them but the
meat is as tasy as the rib meat. Are these the rib tips?

Rock
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RockPyle wrote:

> When cooking the ribs and other stuff, do you pull the other stuff off
> earlier? Some of them seemed more dry than the ribs. Or do you just
> cook them all the same and deal witht he range of moistness?

What do you mean by 'other stuff'? Are you talking about other meat?

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 8, 2:30*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> RockPyle wrote:
> > When cooking the ribs and other stuff, do you pull the other stuff off
> > earlier? *Some of them seemed more dry than the ribs. *Or do you just
> > cook them all the same and deal witht he range of moistness?

> What do you mean by 'other stuff'? Are you talking about other meat?
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? * *"To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Yes, the top part of the sparerib after cutting off the main section
of ribs (to make them St. Louis Style). The main slab cooked
beautifully in about 5.5 hours to where the meat was very pliable and
the bones separated quite easily. The rib tip section was a little
more dry after the same amount of cooking. Do you pull the rib tips
off earlier, put them on later, or just deal with it?

This site has pretty good pictures (and they look reasonably like what
my butchering looked like!)

http://getyourgrillon.net/2007/02/01...pare-rib-prep/

Thanks,

Rob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RockPyle wrote:

> ... Do you pull the rib tips off earlier, put them on later, or just deal
> with it?

If I trim to a St Louie style rib, I put the trimmings onto the grill of the
pit later, near to the end of when the ribs get done.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>>>And don't let anybody tell you different.
>>
>>You guys are cheap, classic and common.

> Afraid to call us creamy, eh?
>
> -sw

lol

Craig
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> ViLco said:

> >> Lambrusco Grasparossa di Castelvetro, Reggio Emilia. Strong! You'd
> >> get messy eating anything after a night of that, but you'd sure be
> >> happy!!!

> > LOL, it was for the meat
> > It's one of the most tannic lambruscos out there, and you can find it
> > made off-zone in Reggio Emilia or made in-zone, and thusly DOC, in
> > Modena. It's my fav lambrusco both for drinking and for marinating
> > meats.

> So is this wine dry or sweet? High tannins usually make me think of dry
> wines.

According to Wikipedia, Lambrusco Grasparossa di Castelvetro, are grown in
the smallest wine producing region located south of the town of Modena. The
region is home to the Grasparossa clone, which the DOC requires 85% of the
wine to be composed of. The wine of this region is typically dry and full
bodied with a deep purplish-red coloring. The Grasparossa clone produces
the most tannic Lambrusco.

It sounds good and is at the top of my shopping list. Villi will probably
weigh in with some long standing personal information.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Sep-2009, RockPyle > wrote:

> On Sep 8, 12:52*am, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
> september.invalid> wrote:
> > Eddie said:

> > > I have read, maybe here or over at ABF or somewhere else that it's a
> > > waste of money to get baby backs. *Go with spare ribs, just as good
> > > and cheaper too.
> > > I used to go with Costco baby back but switched to spares and I've
> > > never turned back.
> > > Eddie

> > St. Louis cut spares are my favorites.
> >
> > MartyB- Hide quoted text -

> I'll give you guys (and gals) credit for turning me to spares for my
> first ribs (and second batch was smoked Saturday).
>
> For the first batch I had the butched cut them to St. Louis style for
> me (while I watched). Not much to it, so I did it myself this
> weekend. They were certainly more meaty than baby backs and the
> leftovers (tips?) were almost as good as the ribs themselves (and
> certainly more messy!).
>
> When cooking the ribs and other stuff, do you pull the other stuff off
> earlier? Some of them seemed more dry than the ribs. Or do you just
> cook them all the same and deal witht he range of moistness?
>
> Rock (sorry to interrupt a mediocre flame war with a question)

I buy full spares. Prep consists of trimming the flap off the back side
and scoring the silver membrane in a rough X pattern. I don't know
if the scoring helps, but it makes me feel useful. I cook them whole
and deal with the tips when I butcher them for the table and packaging.
I use some of the tips in beans and soup, but I eat most of them as
I like them about as much as the ribs themselves.
--
Brick (Just my 2¢)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 07 Sep 2009 23:20:33 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote:

>>> I don't cook no baby backs
>>> Big Jim

>> I don't cook not baby backs too!

> Me neither, except when Jun used to buy them. She now buys spares.
>
> What a stupid thing to start a flame war over. LOL

Oh yeah...well I cook baby backs occasionally because my wife
prefers them, and I prefer occasional conjugal visits....so there :-)
--
Oncler...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 21:46:36 -0400, Oncler > wrote:

>On 07 Sep 2009 23:20:33 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> I don't cook not baby backs too!

>> Me neither, except when Jun used to buy them. She now buys spares.
>>
>> What a stupid thing to start a flame war over. LOL

>Oh yeah...well I cook baby backs occasionally because my wife
>prefers them, and I prefer occasional conjugal visits....so there :-)

Excellent reason!

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Escolar

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 07:41:48 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:

> On Sep 8, 4:06Â*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>

>> Looks like Iron-Gut Sqwertz has finally met his match. Â*I got about
>> 2.5 hours of sleep last night.
>>
>> -sw (still shitting)

> The symptoms look amusing. (from a distance)
>
> My favorite:
> leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge
> can stain clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours
> after consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause
> frequent urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and
> may be accidentally discharged by the passing of gas.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar
>
> Like its relative the oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus), it cannot
> metabolize the wax esters (Gempylotoxin) naturally found in its diet,
> which accumulates to give an oil content in the muscle meat of 18€“21%.
> These wax esters may rapidly cause gastrointestinal symptoms following
> consumption; however, these effects are usually short lived.
>
> The gastrointestinal symptoms, called "keriorrhea", caused by these
> wax esters may include oily orange diarrhea, discharge, or leakage
> from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge can stain
> clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours after
> consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause frequent
> urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and may be
> accidentally discharged by the passing of gas. Symptoms may occur over
> a period of one or more days. Other symptoms may include stomach
> cramps, loose bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and
> vomiting.
>
> To minimize the risk of symptoms, strict control of portion size is
> recommended as well as preparation methods that remove some of the
> oil. Grilling will greatly reduce the heavy fat content in the fish
> making it edible without ill side-effects. Portions should be no
> greater than 6 ounces.

See? The things I do you for you folks.

If I hadn't read the article I probably would never tried it. Heh.
Some stuff you just have to try for yourself. It was a very good
fish, though. I'll probably eat the other piece (now frozen) next
weekend provided I don't start "leakage". I still have 11 hours
left in the danger zone.

Maybe this time the reaction was just a fluke. If it happens again,
I'll put my endorsement on this Wiki article.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 09:59:55 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:

> On Sep 8, 9:44*am, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
> september.invalid> wrote:
>

>> That's disgusting! How did it ever come to pass that this fish was used for
>> food at all, and actually sold at market?
>>

> By someone with a good (warped?) sense of humor maybe?

Hey, this is gourmet shit!

<http://www.nytimes.com/1999/03/10/dining/eating-well-a-fish-puts-chefs-in-a-quandary.html>

I still don't understand the lemony taste. Did my fishmonger wash
it with lemon to keep it "fresh"? I did buy it on a Monday - labor
Day even. Probably one of the worst days of the year to buy "fresh"
fish.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 20:00:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Nothing can taste good enough to risk that. Nothing.

What a bunch of pussies!

It's a tasty weight loss solution. This fish has the potential to
cure bulimia.

-sw