Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Great site on a favorite type of sandwich

This sandwich is fried and not grilled/smoked, but WOW- what a
sandwich. IMHO, the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is a
Midwestern dish, primarily, since I seldom encountered it when
traveling the country on business. Like here in Las Vegas, the
primary place to get it locally is owned and operated by a
transplant from Ohio.

One MO scholar of German immigration during the 1800's tells me
that it's probably due to the morphing of Weiner schnitzel into
the sandwich, but who knows?

Enjoy~
http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/Pork_..._Sandwich.html

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:
> This sandwich is fried and not grilled/smoked, but WOW- what a
> sandwich. IMHO, the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is a Midwestern
> dish, primarily, since I seldom encountered it when traveling the
> country on business. Like here in Las Vegas, the primary place to get
> it locally is owned and operated by a transplant from Ohio.
>
> One MO scholar of German immigration during the 1800's tells me that
> it's probably due to the morphing of Weiner schnitzel into the sandwich,
> but who knows?
>
> Enjoy~ http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/Pork_..._Sandwich.html

Thanks Nonny... I love the schnitzel every since I was in Germany and
had the original styles cooked a number of ways over four years. I love
it in sandwich formats also ;-)

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> Nonny wrote:
>> This sandwich is fried and not grilled/smoked, but WOW- what a
>> sandwich. IMHO, the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is a
>> Midwestern dish, primarily, since I seldom encountered it when
>> traveling the country on business. Like here in Las Vegas, the
>> primary place to get it locally is owned and operated by a
>> transplant from Ohio.
>>
>> One MO scholar of German immigration during the 1800's tells me
>> that it's probably due to the morphing of Weiner schnitzel into
>> the sandwich, but who knows?
>>
>> Enjoy~
>> http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/Pork_..._Sandwich.html
>>

> Thanks Nonny... I love the schnitzel every since I was in
> Germany and had the original styles cooked a number of ways over
> four years. I love it in sandwich formats also ;-)
>
> Bob

When we make it here at home, one of my quick and easy recipe is
to pound out about 1/3 pound of tenderloin to around 12". It's
then dredged in seasoned flour (cup flour plus 1-2 packets of Good
Seasons dry Italian Dressing mix) and fried. When I want to bulk
it up for company, the flour-dredged tenderloin is then briefly
immersed in either buttermilk or egg wash, then dredged again in
finely crumbled crackers or bread crumbs. Personally, I prefer it
in just the seasoned flour, but some like the bread crumbs or
cracker crumbs.

If I'm organized, I weight it down in the frying pan with a cast
iron flat weight I have preheated.
--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

> "Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
>> Nonny wrote:
>>> This sandwich is fried and not grilled/smoked, but WOW- what a
>>> sandwich. IMHO, the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is a Midwestern
>>> dish, primarily, since I seldom encountered it when traveling the
>>> country on business. Like here in Las Vegas, the primary place to
>>> get it locally is owned and operated by a transplant from Ohio.
>>>
>>> One MO scholar of German immigration during the 1800's tells me that
>>> it's probably due to the morphing of Weiner schnitzel into the
>>> sandwich, but who knows?
>>>
>>> Enjoy~ http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/Pork_..._Sandwich.html
>>>

>> Thanks Nonny... I love the schnitzel every since I was in Germany and
>> had the original styles cooked a number of ways over four years. I
>> love it in sandwich formats also ;-)
>>
>> Bob

> When we make it here at home, one of my quick and easy recipe is to
> pound out about 1/3 pound of tenderloin to around 12". It's then
> dredged in seasoned flour (cup flour plus 1-2 packets of Good Seasons
> dry Italian Dressing mix) and fried. When I want to bulk it up for
> company, the flour-dredged tenderloin is then briefly immersed in either
> buttermilk or egg wash, then dredged again in finely crumbled crackers
> or bread crumbs. Personally, I prefer it in just the seasoned flour,
> but some like the bread crumbs or cracker crumbs.
>
> If I'm organized, I weight it down in the frying pan with a cast iron
> flat weight I have preheated.

Sounds great Nonny, and it's easy to tell you I'd eat at your table :-)
My only add is I try to add seasonings discreetly. I don't like the use
of salad dressing spice or dip packets for every day cooking (trying to
eat healthier).

What I do (and this is generic for whatever being fried) is salt &
pepper the main item. Let sit for at least 20 minutes till flavor
absorbed, dip in milk if not moist, lightly flour, egg wash (and second
spot to season with stuff like Worcestershire, soy, hot sauce, etc.
depending on main item). Then dip into some type of crumb. My preference
is Panko for it's very crunchy texture.

Fry in a medium pre-heated heavy pan with the oil/fat (I like to add
butter or bacon grease to veggie oil) to rise about half way up the side
of the items I fry. When golden brown on the first side, flip, and fry
for a little less time. Remove to paper toweled plate, add salt or other
seasonings while hot.

I know, I got verbose.. but just made some excellent fried green
tomatoes that way last night that were very good. So it's on my brain.

But I did mean what I said. I'd be happy to sit at your table :-)
Obviously you are a good cook.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> Nonny wrote:

>>> Thanks Nonny... I love the schnitzel every since I was in
>>> Germany and had the original styles cooked a number of ways
>>> over four years. I love it in sandwich formats also ;-)
>>>
>>> Bob

>> When we make it here at home, one of my quick and easy recipe
>> is to pound out about 1/3 pound of tenderloin to around 12".
>> It's then dredged in seasoned flour (cup flour plus 1-2 packets
>> of Good Seasons dry Italian Dressing mix) and fried. When I
>> want to bulk it up for company, the flour-dredged tenderloin is
>> then briefly immersed in either buttermilk or egg wash, then
>> dredged again in finely crumbled crackers or bread crumbs.
>> Personally, I prefer it in just the seasoned flour, but some
>> like the bread crumbs or cracker crumbs.
>>
>> If I'm organized, I weight it down in the frying pan with a
>> cast iron flat weight I have preheated.

> Sounds great Nonny, and it's easy to tell you I'd eat at your
> table :-) My only add is I try to add seasonings discreetly. I
> don't like the use of salad dressing spice or dip packets for
> every day cooking (trying to eat healthier).
>
> What I do (and this is generic for whatever being fried) is salt
> & pepper the main item. Let sit for at least 20 minutes till
> flavor absorbed, dip in milk if not moist, lightly flour, egg
> wash (and second spot to season with stuff like Worcestershire,
> soy, hot sauce, etc. depending on main item). Then dip into some
> type of crumb. My preference is Panko for it's very crunchy
> texture.
>
> Fry in a medium pre-heated heavy pan with the oil/fat (I like to
> add butter or bacon grease to veggie oil) to rise about half way
> up the side of the items I fry. When golden brown on the first
> side, flip, and fry for a little less time. Remove to paper
> toweled plate, add salt or other seasonings while hot.

Thanks for the ideas. We love our fried food here at the
Nonnyhouse, and I have the cholesterol levels to show for it.
<grin>

BTW, if you have some chicken thighs, try either recipe with one
of them deboned and flattened out like a tenderloin, breaded and
fried. Everyone knows about the breaded breast, but the thighs
are better, IMHO.

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

> "Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
>> Nonny wrote:

>>> When we make it here at home, one of my quick and easy recipe is to
>>> pound out about 1/3 pound of tenderloin to around 12". It's then
>>> dredged in seasoned flour (cup flour plus 1-2 packets of Good Seasons
>>> dry Italian Dressing mix) and fried. When I want to bulk it up for
>>> company, the flour-dredged tenderloin is then briefly immersed in
>>> either buttermilk or egg wash, then dredged again in finely crumbled
>>> crackers or bread crumbs. Personally, I prefer it in just the
>>> seasoned flour, but some like the bread crumbs or cracker crumbs.
>>>
>>> If I'm organized, I weight it down in the frying pan with a cast iron
>>> flat weight I have preheated.

>> Sounds great Nonny, and it's easy to tell you I'd eat at your table
>> :-) My only add is I try to add seasonings discreetly. I don't like
>> the use of salad dressing spice or dip packets for every day cooking
>> (trying to eat healthier).
>>
>> What I do (and this is generic for whatever being fried) is salt &
>> pepper the main item. Let sit for at least 20 minutes till flavor
>> absorbed, dip in milk if not moist, lightly flour, egg wash (and
>> second spot to season with stuff like Worcestershire, soy, hot sauce,
>> etc. depending on main item). Then dip into some type of crumb. My
>> preference is Panko for it's very crunchy texture.
>>
>> Fry in a medium pre-heated heavy pan with the oil/fat (I like to add
>> butter or bacon grease to veggie oil) to rise about half way up the
>> side of the items I fry. When golden brown on the first side, flip,
>> and fry for a little less time. Remove to paper toweled plate, add
>> salt or other seasonings while hot.
>>

> Thanks for the ideas. We love our fried food here at the Nonnyhouse,
> and I have the cholesterol levels to show for it. <grin>
>
> BTW, if you have some chicken thighs, try either recipe with one of them
> deboned and flattened out like a tenderloin, breaded and fried.
> Everyone knows about the breaded breast, but the thighs are better, IMHO.

You are a cookin' fool right up my alley ;-)

I have 2.5 lbs of boned, skinned chicken thighs (got to love them
things....) in the freezer at the moment.

I use them for the times I want to make a chicken soup, or for when I'm
in the mood to pound them out, bread them, and make a white sauce
(sometimes with white wine, and mushrooms) for them and make them
"chicken fried chicken". Usually served with a side veggie, and mashed
potatoes.

I can tell you and I would get along well as neighbors :-)

Bob

P.S. I would expect you to maybe bring some home made rolls with you.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 23:01:12 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:

> Nonny wrote:
>
>> One MO scholar of German immigration during the 1800's tells me that .....

> Thanks Nonny...

Didn't you even notice that Nonny spoke to this guy
about 160 years ago?

I wonder about you, Munchie.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 23:01:12 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> Nonny wrote:
>>
>>> One MO scholar of German immigration during the 1800's tells me that .....

>> Thanks Nonny...

> Didn't you even notice that Nonny spoke to this guy
> about 160 years ago?
>
> I wonder about you, Munchie.
>
> -sw

Is it okay with you if you address me as Bob? Bobbie, she, or Munchie, I
find offensive.

Would you like me to address you as Stevie, it, or Squirts?

Thanks,

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 23:01:12 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> Nonny wrote:
>>
>>> One MO scholar of German immigration during the 1800's tells
>>> me that .....

>> Thanks Nonny...

> Didn't you even notice that Nonny spoke to this guy
> about 160 years ago?
>
> I wonder about you, Munchie.
>
> -sw

Let me clarify this: I'm an old geezer, but not quite that old.
<grin>

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 29-Aug-2009, "Nonny" > wrote:

> "Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> > Nonny wrote:

.. . .

> BTW, if you have some chicken thighs, try either recipe with one
> of them deboned and flattened out like a tenderloin, breaded and
> fried. Everyone knows about the breaded breast, but the thighs
> are better, IMHO.
>
> --
> Nonny

Yep sir, you are absolutely correct about those boneless thighs.
They make a very excellent faux schnitzel. I get bonelexs thighs
here for $2/lb and consider it a buy over the bone in version @
99¢/lb. I get them in a family pack that has 3 or 4 thighs each
in individual sealed poly bags. It's real handy for freezing as I
don't have to do any additional packaging.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 31-Aug-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

.. . .

> > Yep sir, you are absolutely correct about those boneless thighs.
> > They make a very excellent faux schnitzel. I get bonelexs thighs
> > here for $2/lb and consider it a buy over the bone in version @
> > 99/lb. I get them in a family pack that has 3 or 4 thighs each
> > in individual sealed poly bags. It's real handy for freezing as I
> > don't have to do any additional packaging.

> Sounds like the Coscto boneless skinless thigh packs. That's the price
> here... each pack has 6 of the individual sealed bags.
>
> MartyB in KC

Probably the same packing outfit. I get mine at BJ's (Berkeley Jensen
Warehouse Club)

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

> "Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
>> Nonny wrote:

>>> When we make it here at home, one of my quick and easy recipe is to
>>> pound out about 1/3 pound of tenderloin to around 12". It's then
>>> dredged in seasoned flour (cup flour plus 1-2 packets of Good Seasons
>>> dry Italian Dressing mix) and fried. When I want to bulk it up for
>>> company, the flour-dredged tenderloin is then briefly immersed in
>>> either buttermilk or egg wash, then dredged again in finely crumbled
>>> crackers or bread crumbs. Personally, I prefer it in just the
>>> seasoned flour, but some like the bread crumbs or cracker crumbs.
>>>
>>> If I'm organized, I weight it down in the frying pan with a cast iron
>>> flat weight I have preheated.

>> Sounds great Nonny, and it's easy to tell you I'd eat at your table
>> :-) My only add is I try to add seasonings discreetly. I don't like
>> the use of salad dressing spice or dip packets for every day cooking
>> (trying to eat healthier).
>>
>> What I do (and this is generic for whatever being fried) is salt &
>> pepper the main item. Let sit for at least 20 minutes till flavor
>> absorbed, dip in milk if not moist, lightly flour, egg wash (and
>> second spot to season with stuff like Worcestershire, soy, hot sauce,
>> etc. depending on main item). Then dip into some type of crumb. My
>> preference is Panko for it's very crunchy texture.
>>
>> Fry in a medium pre-heated heavy pan with the oil/fat (I like to add
>> butter or bacon grease to veggie oil) to rise about half way up the
>> side of the items I fry. When golden brown on the first side, flip,
>> and fry for a little less time. Remove to paper toweled plate, add
>> salt or other seasonings while hot.
>>

> Thanks for the ideas. We love our fried food here at the Nonnyhouse,
> and I have the cholesterol levels to show for it. <grin>
>
> BTW, if you have some chicken thighs, try either recipe with one of them
> deboned and flattened out like a tenderloin, breaded and fried.
> Everyone knows about the breaded breast, but the thighs are better, IMHO.

Thanks Nonny... I have a package of frozen boneless/skinless chicken
thighs in the freezer right not.

I also believe the dark meet is better for flavor. I mostly use it for a
soup situation, but if you have other ideas, I will listen to you.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> Nonny wrote:

> Thanks Nonny... I have a package of frozen boneless/skinless
> chicken thighs in the freezer right not.
>
> I also believe the dark meet is better for flavor. I mostly use
> it for a soup situation, but if you have other ideas, I will
> listen to you.
>
> Bob

To be honest, Mrs. Nonny has some physical limitations: Brick
would understand. It's not the same (MS vs. Alzheimers), but
coordination, cutting deboned meat is sure easier on the wife than
working around bones. That's one reason I debone her food either
before cooking or before plating it, along with cutting it into
bite sized pieces. For us, that means a lot of sandwiches and
finger foods. Given a choice between breasts and thighs, I agree
with the others that the thighs have much more flavor and
moisture, generally. I was just playing around with some breasts
one afternoon and thought I'd try flattening them a bit and
treating them like the breaded tenderloin sandwiches she and I so
enjoy. It worked, and that's become another food of choice for
both of us. I use them anywhere I would use chicken. When I fix
wings for myself and company, I cut some thighs into strips and do
them like the wings: making them better for finger food. They
work well on skewers, also.

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

> "Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
>> Nonny wrote:

>> Thanks Nonny... I have a package of frozen boneless/skinless chicken
>> thighs in the freezer right not.
>>
>> I also believe the dark meet is better for flavor. I mostly use it for
>> a soup situation, but if you have other ideas, I will listen to you.
>>
>> Bob

> To be honest, Mrs. Nonny has some physical limitations: Brick would
> understand. It's not the same (MS vs. Alzheimers), but coordination,
> cutting deboned meat is sure easier on the wife than working around
> bones. That's one reason I debone her food either before cooking or
> before plating it, along with cutting it into bite sized pieces. For
> us, that means a lot of sandwiches and finger foods. Given a choice
> between breasts and thighs, I agree with the others that the thighs have
> much more flavor and moisture, generally. I was just playing around
> with some breasts one afternoon and thought I'd try flattening them a
> bit and treating them like the breaded tenderloin sandwiches she and I
> so enjoy. It worked, and that's become another food of choice for both
> of us. I use them anywhere I would use chicken. When I fix wings for
> myself and company, I cut some thighs into strips and do them like the
> wings: making them better for finger food. They work well on skewers,
> also.

Thanks Nonny. I do feel for your situation. I don't know it in my life,
but I think positiver things for your spouse. She's lucky to have
someone like you.

With that, I will exit for today.

But I am your friend.

I do have kind thoughts for you and your spouse.

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

>> Thanks Nonny... I love the schnitzel every since I was in
>> Germany and had the original styles cooked a number of ways over
>> four years. I love it in sandwich formats also ;-)

> When we make it here at home, one of my quick and easy recipe is
> to pound out about 1/3 pound of tenderloin to around 12". It's
> then dredged in seasoned flour (cup flour plus 1-2 packets of Good
> Seasons dry Italian Dressing mix) and fried. When I want to bulk
> it up for company, the flour-dredged tenderloin is then briefly
> immersed in either buttermilk or egg wash, then dredged again in
> finely crumbled crackers or bread crumbs. Personally, I prefer it
> in just the seasoned flour, but some like the bread crumbs or
> cracker crumbs.
>
> If I'm organized, I weight it down in the frying pan with a cast
> iron flat weight I have preheated.

That sandwich can be found in Italy with the name "panino alla cotoletta",
aka "cutlet sandwich", but one can't be sure if the meat will be pork or
chicken.
BTW, there's a debate between Milan and Wien regarding which one originated
first between wienerschnitzel and "cotoletta alla milanese", aka "milan
style cutlet", which are the same thing.
Did the italians copy the austrians or was it the opposite? Who cares, let's
just fry'em and put'em everywhere we want, from a simple bread bun to a
veggies garnished dish.
I personally love the cutlet sandwich when it's rich in mayo and tomato
slices. If it comes in a dish, I like a slice of lemon to squeeze on part of
the cutlet and some lettuce and/or tomato at the side.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 28, 11:01*pm, Bob Muncie > wrote:
> Nonny wrote:
> > This sandwich is fried and not grilled/smoked, but WOW- what a
> > sandwich. *IMHO, the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is a Midwestern
> > dish, primarily, since I seldom encountered it when traveling the
> > country on business. *Like here in Las Vegas, the primary place to get
> > it locally is owned and operated by a transplant from Ohio.

> > One MO scholar of German immigration during the 1800's tells me that
> > it's probably due to the morphing of Weiner schnitzel into the sandwich,
> > but who knows?

> > Enjoy~http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/Pork_..._Sandwich.html

> Thanks Nonny... I love the schnitzel every since I was in Germany and
> had the original styles cooked a number of ways over four years. I love
> it in sandwich formats also ;-)
>
> Bob

I'm a big fan of European Schnitzel. The best I had was of course in
Vienna. They used some outrageous veal. I've done veal schnitzel
here (in Canada) and it's not even close. The taste of the veal there
was far superiour.
Now then, I've never made a schnitzel out of pork tenderloin. I'll
have to give it a shot.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

"Bent Attorney Esq." > wrote in message
news:446c19f4-65fe-426f-b294-> I'm a big fan of European
Schnitzel. The best I had was of course in
> Vienna. They used some outrageous veal. I've done veal
> schnitzel
> here (in Canada) and it's not even close. The taste of the veal
> there
> was far superiour.
> Now then, I've never made a schnitzel out of pork tenderloin.
> I'll
> have to give it a shot.

It's one of the favorite sandwiches in the Midwestern part of the
lower 48. Please report back with your evaluation. BTW, the
toppings can affect things, so if you want the pure Midwestern
experience, a little mustard and pickles would do, but catsup and
pickles are fine. Personally, my taste gravitates toward tartar
sauce and lettuce on the sandwich, but then I'm not normal. <grin>

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 10:41*am, "Nonny" > wrote:
> "Bent Attorney Esq." > wrote in message
> news:446c19f4-65fe-426f-b294-> I'm a big fan of European
> Schnitzel. *The best I had was of course in
>
> > Vienna. *They used some outrageous veal. *I've done veal
> > schnitzel
> > here (in Canada) and it's not even close. *The taste of the veal
> > there
> > was far superiour.
> > Now then, I've never made a schnitzel out of pork tenderloin.
> > I'll
> > have to give it a shot.

> It's one of the favorite sandwiches in the Midwestern part of the
> lower 48. *Please report back with your evaluation. *BTW, the
> toppings can affect things, so if you want the pure Midwestern
> experience, a little mustard and pickles would do, but catsup and
> pickles are fine. *Personally, my taste gravitates toward tartar
> sauce and lettuce on the sandwich, but then I'm not normal. <grin>
>
> --
> Nonny
>
> If elections would really change things,
> Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

"Let's go get a tenderloin." This translates in the Midwest to mean a
pork tenderloin sandwich. My favorite restaurant here serves them
both battered and fried (as big around as a plate) and grilled,
diner's choice. Mustard, not ketchup. Pickle and/or onion, if you
like.

N.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Sep 2, 10:41 am, "Nonny" > wrote:
>> "Bent Attorney Esq." > wrote in message
>> news:446c19f4-65fe-426f-b294-> I'm a big fan of European
>> Schnitzel. The best I had was of course in
>>
>>> Vienna. They used some outrageous veal. I've done veal
>>> schnitzel
>>> here (in Canada) and it's not even close. The taste of the veal
>>> there
>>> was far superiour.
>>> Now then, I've never made a schnitzel out of pork tenderloin.
>>> I'll
>>> have to give it a shot.

>> It's one of the favorite sandwiches in the Midwestern part of the
>> lower 48. Please report back with your evaluation. BTW, the
>> toppings can affect things, so if you want the pure Midwestern
>> experience, a little mustard and pickles would do, but catsup and
>> pickles are fine. Personally, my taste gravitates toward tartar
>> sauce and lettuce on the sandwich, but then I'm not normal. <grin>
>>
>> --
>> Nonny
>>
>> If elections would really change things,
>> Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

> "Let's go get a tenderloin." This translates in the Midwest to mean a
> pork tenderloin sandwich. My favorite restaurant here serves them
> both battered and fried (as big around as a plate) and grilled,
> diner's choice. Mustard, not ketchup. Pickle and/or onion, if you
> like.
>
> N.

My norm is deep fried tenderloin, mustard, pickle, lettuce, and tomato.
Usually served on a Kaiser type bun/roll. The tenderloin is usually
pounded out a bit so it overhangs the roll by a couple of inches before
breading and frying. Of course, I am trying to remove deep fried things
in general from my diet, but I do occasionally indulge still.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

"Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> Nancy2 wrote:
>> On Sep 2, 10:41 am, "Nonny" > wrote:
>>> "Bent Attorney Esq." > wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:446c19f4-65fe-426f-b294-> I'm a big fan of European
>>> Schnitzel. The best I had was of course in

>>> It's one of the favorite sandwiches in the Midwestern part of
>>> the
>>> lower 48. Please report back with your evaluation. BTW, the
>>> toppings can affect things, so if you want the pure Midwestern
>>> experience, a little mustard and pickles would do, but catsup
>>> and
>>> pickles are fine. Personally, my taste gravitates toward
>>> tartar
>>> sauce and lettuce on the sandwich, but then I'm not normal.
>>> <grin>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nonny
>>>
>>> If elections would really change things,
>>> Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

>> "Let's go get a tenderloin." This translates in the Midwest to
>> mean a
>> pork tenderloin sandwich. My favorite restaurant here serves
>> them
>> both battered and fried (as big around as a plate) and grilled,
>> diner's choice. Mustard, not ketchup. Pickle and/or onion, if
>> you
>> like.
>>
>> N.

> My norm is deep fried tenderloin, mustard, pickle, lettuce, and
> tomato. Usually served on a Kaiser type bun/roll. The tenderloin
> is usually pounded out a bit so it overhangs the roll by a
> couple of inches before breading and frying. Of course, I am
> trying to remove deep fried things in general from my diet, but
> I do occasionally indulge still.
>
> Bob

Bob, here's something I'm working on that's a work in process, so
to speak. What I'm trying to do is get the fried effect without
submerging the meat in oil. Since I cook out almost all the time
(we live in Las Vegas where indoor cooking would be ridiculous
heating the kitchen while air conditioning it), I am orienting my
efforts to the grill and not the stove. YMMV

Right now, my best results have been using flattened meat, like
tenderloin or chicken thighs, dredged in seasoned flour using no
binder like egg or buttermilk. I have a griddle that sits on the
grates of my grill and use Lodge cast iron weights that are
preheated. I place the flattened and floured thigh on the griddle
after a light spray onto THE MEAT of Pam, then immediately add the
weight. With that and one flip, I get a fried flavor and effect
with virtually no oil being added. The dusting of Pam to the meat
helps prevent sticking, but my next effort will be with Canola
oil, using a sprayer. . . on the theory that it's healthier.

I've done the "dry griddle with weights" using tenderloin as well,
with good results between grilled and fried flavor, using flour.
Bread crumbs or cracker crumbs reduce the effect; they don't
enhance it. If you give it a try any thoughts would be
appreciated.

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

"Bob Muncie" > wrote
> My norm is deep fried tenderloin, mustard, pickle, lettuce, and tomato.
> Usually served on a Kaiser type bun/roll. The tenderloin is usually
> pounded out a bit so it overhangs the roll by a couple of inches before
> breading and frying. Of course, I am trying to remove deep fried things in
> general from my diet, but I do occasionally indulge still.

Interesting. I have never had a fried pork tenderloin.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Sep-2009, "Nonny" > wrote:

> "Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> > Nancy2 wrote:

.. . .

The dusting of Pam to the meat
> helps prevent sticking, but my next effort will be with Canola
> oil, using a sprayer. . . on the theory that it's healthier.
>
> I've done the "dry griddle with weights" using tenderloin as well,
> with good results between grilled and fried flavor, using flour.
> Bread crumbs or cracker crumbs reduce the effect; they don't
> enhance it. If you give it a try any thoughts would be
> appreciated.
>
> --
> Nonny

Nonny, the ingredients listed on my PAM can indicate that it
is Canola oil.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

> > breading and frying. Of course, I am trying to remove deep fried things in
> > general from my diet, but I do occasionally indulge still.

> Interesting. I have never had a fried pork tenderloin.

You absolutely haven't lived. ;-) Get a regular pork tenderloin from
your meat counter, and ask the butcher to run it through the
tenderizer twice, once one direction and the second time in a
direction perpendicular to the first. Our butchers don't charge extra
to do this. You'll have a much flatter, bigger tenderloin, perfect
for a pork tenderloin sandwich. I honestly don't know why it seems to
be only a Midwest kind of thing. You can get pork everywhere.

Dredge it in your choice of seasoned flour, or first in beaten egg and
then in very, very fine saltine cracker crumbs - fry in enough oil to
come up halfway of the thickness of the tenderloin (usually about 1/4
inch at the most). Flip once. When it's browned on both sides, it
should be done. Drain on paper towels. Serve it in a large
Pepperidge Farm sesame-seed bun, or a kaiser roll - adorn it with
yellow mustard, dill pickle, and onion, tomato, lettuce - whatever you
like - really, don't put ketchup on it, it isn't very good. Indulge.
Around here, the usual side dish is battered, fried onion rings, but
French fries will do, too.

N.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 10:41*am, "Nonny" > wrote:
> "Bent Attorney Esq." > wrote in message
> news:446c19f4-65fe-426f-b294-> I'm a big fan of European
> Schnitzel. *The best I had was of course in
>
> > Vienna. *They used some outrageous veal. *I've done veal
> > schnitzel
> > here (in Canada) and it's not even close. *The taste of the veal
> > there
> > was far superiour.
> > Now then, I've never made a schnitzel out of pork tenderloin.
> > I'll
> > have to give it a shot.

> It's one of the favorite sandwiches in the Midwestern part of the
> lower 48. *Please report back with your evaluation. *BTW, the
> toppings can affect things, so if you want the pure Midwestern
> experience, a little mustard and pickles would do, but catsup and
> pickles are fine. *Personally, my taste gravitates toward tartar
> sauce and lettuce on the sandwich, but then I'm not normal. <grin>

You don't have to torture calves.

> --
> Nonny

--Bryan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

<snip>

> to do this. You'll have a much flatter, bigger tenderloin, perfect
> for a pork tenderloin sandwich. I honestly don't know why it seems to
> be only a Midwest kind of thing. You can get pork everywhere.

I never had pork tenderloin in a sammich till I moved to NC.
Here they cook it for morning biscuits. A wonderful
opportunity for hot sauce.

Craig

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
>>> breading and frying. Of course, I am trying to remove deep fried things in
>>> general from my diet, but I do occasionally indulge still.

>> Interesting. I have never had a fried pork tenderloin.

> You absolutely haven't lived. ;-) Get a regular pork tenderloin from
> your meat counter, and ask the butcher to run it through the
> tenderizer twice, once one direction and the second time in a
> direction perpendicular to the first. Our butchers don't charge extra
> to do this. You'll have a much flatter, bigger tenderloin, perfect
> for a pork tenderloin sandwich. I honestly don't know why it seems to
> be only a Midwest kind of thing. You can get pork everywhere.
>
> Dredge it in your choice of seasoned flour, or first in beaten egg and
> then in very, very fine saltine cracker crumbs - fry in enough oil to
> come up halfway of the thickness of the tenderloin (usually about 1/4
> inch at the most). Flip once. When it's browned on both sides, it
> should be done. Drain on paper towels. Serve it in a large
> Pepperidge Farm sesame-seed bun, or a kaiser roll - adorn it with
> yellow mustard, dill pickle, and onion, tomato, lettuce - whatever you
> like - really, don't put ketchup on it, it isn't very good. Indulge.
> Around here, the usual side dish is battered, fried onion rings, but
> French fries will do, too.
>
> N.

Good thoughts N.

That's pretty much how I do it now, and if I'm feeling really mean, or
the pork seems a bit tougher than usually, I have a jaccard I can use on
it. I normally soak from 4 ~ 24 hours in buttermilk, dip in season
flower, than an egg wash that I add some hot sauce, and a bit of soy
sauce to, than into the panko crumbs. I likewise put just enough oil in
the iron skillet to rise up half the side of the tenderloin, flip when
browned.

Oh, and I forgot to add onion in the last post as a condiment.

Nonny -

I like the way you think. Next time I make the sandwich I'll do
something similar as you are suggesting, but use my indoor Cuisinart gr4
griddler I have. Never thought of using it for tenderloin breaded
sandwiches, but I suppose I could brush a little vegetable oil on the
griddle plates, and see how that turns out. No heavy oil smell (other
than the pork), and little mess. The griddle plates pop off easily and
are easy to clean. And zero splatter.

Thanks for the idea.

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 2-Sep-2009, "Nonny" > wrote:

> . . .
>
> The dusting of Pam to the meat
>> helps prevent sticking, but my next effort will be with Canola
>> oil, using a sprayer. . . on the theory that it's healthier.
>>
>> I've done the "dry griddle with weights" using tenderloin as
>> well,
>> with good results between grilled and fried flavor, using
>> flour.
>> Bread crumbs or cracker crumbs reduce the effect; they don't
>> enhance it. If you give it a try any thoughts would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Nonny

> Nonny, the ingredients listed on my PAM can indicate that it
> is Canola oil.
>
> --
> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Thanks, Brick. Perhaps I should have read the label.<grin>
--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...
> Nonny said:
>> "Bent Attorney Esq." > wrote in
>> message

> *Crossposted group snuck into thread by KF'd pest deleted*
>
> *pork veal weiner schnitzel foolishness clipped*
>
>> It's one of the favorite sandwiches in the Midwestern part of
>> the
>> lower 48. Please report back with your evaluation. BTW, the
>> toppings can affect things, so if you want the pure Midwestern
>> experience, a little mustard and pickles would do, but catsup
>> and
>> pickles are fine. Personally, my taste gravitates toward
>> tartar
>> sauce and lettuce on the sandwich, but then I'm not normal.
>> <grin>

> Lettuce, mayo, and pickle please.
>
> I like them thick, so I cut a thick hunk off the tenderloin,
> butterfly it,
> and pound it out, but not too much so there's still a good 3/4
> thickness to
> the meat, bread it up, and drop it in the deep fryer.
>
> I've seen plenty of pork tenders as big as your head, but
> pounded out so
> thin that all you were biting into was breading. Predictably,
> the joints
> which offer these also brag they have the biggest pork tenders
> in town.
> That's one of the most overused claims in the history of KC mom
> and pop
> diners and drive-ins. And predictably, when you see that claim
> they will
> almost always be serving the dreaded fried bread sandwich. As my
> 89 year old
> Dad would say, who has a long history of finding and promoting
> KCs loveable
> joints, if a giant tenderloin is their only claim to fame, let's
> move on.
>
> I notice the italian seasoning in your flour mix. Have you ever
> tried it
> with some mozarella, italian bread, and red sauce, a la an
> italian steak
> sandwich?
>
> MartyB in KC

Ha: I had that for lunch TODAY, but at an Italian restaurant.
There's a place on the west side of town called Giuseppe's that
has a very good version of your suggestion, but on Cibotta. They
serve theirs openfaced, since otherwise you'd be wearing it on
your shirt, tie, pants and socks. <grin> An additional ingredient
some like is breaded eggplant, sliced thin, fried and added as
another topping like you'd add a big slice of Onion.

BTW, the breaded, fried eggplant is another staple here at the
Nonnyhouse. It's one of Mrs. Nonny's favorites and quite easy to
chew. We serve it on a bed of spaghetti with the home made
Marinara and some shaved parmesan. The impression I have from the
flavor is that the eggplant/flour breading doesn't take up much of
the cooking oil.
--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...
> Nonny said:
>>
>> Ha: I had that for lunch TODAY, but at an Italian restaurant.
>> There's a place on the west side of town called Giuseppe's that
>> has a very good version of your suggestion, but on Cibotta.
>> They
>> serve theirs openfaced, since otherwise you'd be wearing it on
>> your shirt, tie, pants and socks. <grin> An additional
>> ingredient
>> some like is breaded eggplant, sliced thin, fried and added as
>> another topping like you'd add a big slice of Onion.

> YOWZA! I love me some fried eggplant. There's a restaurant here
> called
> Johnny Cascone's (you might remember Cascone's up in NKC, or the
> one in the
> City Market) which has a knockout eggplant parmiagiana cooked
> that way, nice
> and thin, topped with cheese and red sauce, available as an
> appetizer or
> entree. I've tried to duplicate it... no luck.
>>
>> BTW, the breaded, fried eggplant is another staple here at the
>> Nonnyhouse. It's one of Mrs. Nonny's favorites and quite easy
>> chew. We serve it on a bed of spaghetti with the home made
>> Marinara and some shaved parmesan. The impression I have from
>> the
>> flavor is that the eggplant/flour breading doesn't take up much
>> of
>> the cooking oil.

> That's interesting, given that eggplant is a notorious grease
> sponge.
> MartyB in KC

I didn't know that: thanks for the information.

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

>>> BTW, the breaded, fried eggplant is another staple here at the
>>> Nonnyhouse. It's one of Mrs. Nonny's favorites and quite easy to
>>> chew. We serve it on a bed of spaghetti with the home made
>>> Marinara and some shaved parmesan. The impression I have from the
>>> flavor is that the eggplant/flour breading doesn't take up much of
>>> the cooking oil.

>> That's interesting, given that eggplant is a notorious grease sponge.
>> MartyB in KC
>>

> I didn't know that: thanks for the information.

I used to love fried eggplant cause it soakes up all
that lovely oil. Then I got a bit older and needed to cut
calories.

So now I prebake the slices a bit to get them to soften.
Almost but not quite cooked through. Then when they get sauted
they soak up a small fraction of the amount of oil.

Still, I long for the old days when it didn't matter.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On 2-Sep-2009, Bob Muncie > wrote:

> >> Interesting. I have never had a fried pork tenderloin.

> > You absolutely haven't lived. ;-) Get a regular pork tenderloin from
> > your meat counter, and ask the butcher to run it through the
> > tenderizer twice, once one direction and the second time in a
> > direction perpendicular to the first. Our butchers don't charge extra
> > to do this. You'll have a much flatter, bigger tenderloin, perfect
> > for a pork tenderloin sandwich. I honestly don't know why it seems to
> > be only a Midwest kind of thing. You can get pork everywhere.
> >
> > Dredge it in your choice of seasoned flour, or first in beaten egg and
> > then in very, very fine saltine cracker crumbs - fry in enough oil to
> > come up halfway of the thickness of the tenderloin (usually about 1/4
> > inch at the most). Flip once. When it's browned on both sides, it
> > should be done. Drain on paper towels. Serve it in a large
> > Pepperidge Farm sesame-seed bun, or a kaiser roll - adorn it with
> > yellow mustard, dill pickle, and onion, tomato, lettuce - whatever you
> > like - really, don't put ketchup on it, it isn't very good. Indulge.
> > Around here, the usual side dish is battered, fried onion rings, but
> > French fries will do, too.
> >
> > N.
> >

> Good thoughts N.
>
> That's pretty much how I do it now, and if I'm feeling really mean, or
> the pork seems a bit tougher than usually, I have a jaccard I can use on
> it. I normally soak from 4 ~ 24 hours in buttermilk, dip in season
> flower, than an egg wash that I add some hot sauce, and a bit of soy
> sauce to, than into the panko crumbs. I likewise put just enough oil in
> the iron skillet to rise up half the side of the tenderloin, flip when
> browned.
>
> Oh, and I forgot to add onion in the last post as a condiment.
>
> Nonny -
>
> I like the way you think. Next time I make the sandwich I'll do
> something similar as you are suggesting, but use my indoor Cuisinart gr4
> griddler I have. Never thought of using it for tenderloin breaded
> sandwiches, but I suppose I could brush a little vegetable oil on the
> griddle plates, and see how that turns out. No heavy oil smell (other
> than the pork), and little mess. The griddle plates pop off easily and
> are easy to clean. And zero splatter.
>
> Thanks for the idea.
>
> Bob

I've never used actual tenderloin for this sandwich, but I've used loin,
boneless chops and even pork butt. In any case I pound the hell out
of it, dredge it in butter milk (usually) or egg and then home made
bread crumbs. I've fried them as noted above and baked them in
the oven, but haven't thought to use the Cuisenart griddler. Don't
fret if you have no tenderloin. Pork rules.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

Brick wrote:

>>> You absolutely haven't lived. ;-) Get a regular pork tenderloin from
>>> your meat counter, and ask the butcher to run it through the
>>> tenderizer twice, once one direction and the second time in a
>>> direction perpendicular to the first. Our butchers don't charge extra
>>> to do this. You'll have a much flatter, bigger tenderloin, perfect
>>> for a pork tenderloin sandwich. I honestly don't know why it seems to
>>> be only a Midwest kind of thing. You can get pork everywhere.
>>>
>>> Dredge it in your choice of seasoned flour, or first in beaten egg and
>>> then in very, very fine saltine cracker crumbs - fry in enough oil to
>>> come up halfway of the thickness of the tenderloin (usually about 1/4
>>> inch at the most). Flip once. When it's browned on both sides, it
>>> should be done. Drain on paper towels. Serve it in a large
>>> Pepperidge Farm sesame-seed bun, or a kaiser roll - adorn it with
>>> yellow mustard, dill pickle, and onion, tomato, lettuce - whatever you
>>> like - really, don't put ketchup on it, it isn't very good. Indulge.
>>> Around here, the usual side dish is battered, fried onion rings, but
>>> French fries will do, too.
>>>
>>> N.
>>>

>> Good thoughts N.
>>
>> That's pretty much how I do it now, and if I'm feeling really mean, or
>> the pork seems a bit tougher than usually, I have a jaccard I can use on
>> it. I normally soak from 4 ~ 24 hours in buttermilk, dip in season
>> flower, than an egg wash that I add some hot sauce, and a bit of soy
>> sauce to, than into the panko crumbs. I likewise put just enough oil in
>> the iron skillet to rise up half the side of the tenderloin, flip when
>> browned.
>>
>> Oh, and I forgot to add onion in the last post as a condiment.
>>
>> Nonny -
>>
>> I like the way you think. Next time I make the sandwich I'll do
>> something similar as you are suggesting, but use my indoor Cuisinart gr4
>> griddler I have. Never thought of using it for tenderloin breaded
>> sandwiches, but I suppose I could brush a little vegetable oil on the
>> griddle plates, and see how that turns out. No heavy oil smell (other
>> than the pork), and little mess. The griddle plates pop off easily and
>> are easy to clean. And zero splatter.
>>
>> Thanks for the idea.
>>
>> Bob

> I've never used actual tenderloin for this sandwich, but I've used loin,
> boneless chops and even pork butt. In any case I pound the hell out
> of it, dredge it in butter milk (usually) or egg and then home made
> bread crumbs. I've fried them as noted above and baked them in
> the oven, but haven't thought to use the Cuisenart griddler. Don't
> fret if you have no tenderloin. Pork rules.

The tenderloin works good, just cut it thick, than butterfly it. And I
agree, most pork pieces wold taste good with this type of sandwich.

And if it wasn't for Nonny having used the word "griddle", I'd have
never thought to use the griddler. In fact, I haven't even used the
grill plates for it yet as I haven't needed to griddle anything in bulk.
The grill plates work great for all grilled sandwich types, as well as
indoor drilling uses. Just want to make sure the pieces are all even.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> [...]

>> on the
>> griddle plates, and see how that turns out. No heavy oil smell
>> (other
>> than the pork), and little mess. The griddle plates pop off
>> easily and
>> are easy to clean. And zero splatter.
>>
>> Thanks for the idea.
>>
>> Bob

> I've never used actual tenderloin for this sandwich, but I've
> used loin,
> boneless chops and even pork butt. In any case I pound the hell
> out
> of it, dredge it in butter milk (usually) or egg and then home
> made
> bread crumbs. I've fried them as noted above and baked them in
> the oven, but haven't thought to use the Cuisenart griddler.
> Don't
> fret if you have no tenderloin. Pork rules.

'
I have a pretty good sized cutting board and have found that the
bottom of a skillet makes a pretty good "pounder outer" for
tenderloin and boneless chicken. It's particularly good for the
softer chicken, since it makes a more uniform flat piece.

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonny" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> BTW, the breaded, fried eggplant is another staple here at the
> Nonnyhouse. It's one of Mrs. Nonny's favorites and quite easy to
> chew. We serve it on a bed of spaghetti with the home made
> Marinara and some shaved parmesan. The impression I have from the
> flavor is that the eggplant/flour breading doesn't take up much of
> the cooking oil.

That's about the way Jun makes and serves it for me. A little peperoncini.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Nice technique, I'd never have thought of that. Do you still soak them in
> milk or buttermilk first? That seems to help with both flavor and oil
> "consumption".
>
> Have you ever tried the Japanese eggplant or other varieties? I'm curious
> how they would compare.

Shidrool! What's wrong with the flavor of eggplant?!?!?!? Fry just below
smoke point and pull just before they stop bubbling. No oil "consumption.'

Jun cooks Japanese eggplants the same as Italian. I notice no difference in
flavor or texture.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:

>> BTW, the breaded, fried eggplant is another staple here at the
>> Nonnyhouse. It's one of Mrs. Nonny's favorites and quite easy to
>> chew. We serve it on a bed of spaghetti with the home made
>> Marinara and some shaved parmesan. The impression I have from the
>> flavor is that the eggplant/flour breading doesn't take up much of
>> the cooking oil.

> That's about the way Jun makes and serves it for me. A little
> peperoncini.

And if the marinara sauce contains tomato, EVO oil and garlic, that pasta
dish is almost "alla norma", the famous sicilian recipe. I sometimes do the
same, I fry floured slices of eggplants and serve them on top of a smokin'
hot dish of spaghetti dressed with tomato garlic sauce.
BTW, regarding the "tasty "part in a pasta dish: is it better to call it
"pasta dressed with XYZ" or "pasta topped with XYZ"?
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ViLco" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>
> >> BTW, the breaded, fried eggplant is another staple here at the
> >> Nonnyhouse. It's one of Mrs. Nonny's favorites and quite easy to
> >> chew. We serve it on a bed of spaghetti with the home made
> >> Marinara and some shaved parmesan. The impression I have from the
> >> flavor is that the eggplant/flour breading doesn't take up much of
> >> the cooking oil.

> > That's about the way Jun makes and serves it for me. A little
> > peperoncini.

> And if the marinara sauce contains tomato, EVO oil and garlic, that pasta
> dish is almost "alla norma", the famous sicilian recipe. I sometimes do
> the same, I fry floured slices of eggplants and serve them on top of a
> smokin' hot dish of spaghetti dressed with tomato garlic sauce.
> BTW, regarding the "tasty "part in a pasta dish: is it better to call it
> "pasta dressed with XYZ" or "pasta topped with XYZ"?

That's it! She fries in EVOO, too. She makes the marinara with our home
grown San Marzanos, crushed in the pan with lots of garlic and oregano.

I would say that the pasta is dressed with a thin sauce and topped with a
heavy, meaty sauce. Topped with melanzana e formaggio, too.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061