Member

Default Tuscan Grilling

Since there isn't an Italian cuisine forum on here, I felt this was the best spot. I really had not idea that Tuscan food was famous for their grilling. This was a really great article I thought I'd share.

Simple Tuscan Glory

Here's a little snippet from the article:

"If you're not heading to Tuscany this week, you can capture the spirit of the land with a little spit roasting of your own. If you don't have a spit, roast the meat indirectly (away from the fire) and turn frequently. Don't forget the fritters while waiting. Zucchini flowers dipped in a light batter are nice."

Makes me want to go out a buy a spit!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

MellieSue > wrote:
> Since there isn't an Italian cuisine forum on here, I felt this was the
> best spot. I really had not idea that Tuscan food was famous for their
> grilling. This was a really great article I thought I'd share.
>
> 'Simple Tuscan Glory'
> (http://www.zesterdaily.com/cooking/s...can-glory.html)
>
> Here's a little snippet from the article:
>
> "If you're not heading to Tuscany this week, you can capture the spirit
> of the land with a little spit roasting of your own. If you don't have
> a spit, roast the meat indirectly (away from the fire) and turn
> frequently. Don't forget the fritters while waiting. Zucchini flowers
> dipped in a light batter are nice."
>
> Makes me want to go out a buy a spit!

it.hobby.cucina makes me want to go out and learn Italian. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Anche tu puoi imparare l'italiano! Basta andare su Google Translate!
--
**********
Michael

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> MellieSue > wrote:
>> Since there isn't an Italian cuisine forum on here, I felt this was the
>> best spot. I really had not idea that Tuscan food was famous for their
>> grilling. This was a really great article I thought I'd share.
>>
>> 'Simple Tuscan Glory'
>> (http://www.zesterdaily.com/cooking/s...can-glory.html)
>>
>> Here's a little snippet from the article:
>>
>> "If you're not heading to Tuscany this week, you can capture the spirit
>> of the land with a little spit roasting of your own. If you don't have
>> a spit, roast the meat indirectly (away from the fire) and turn
>> frequently. Don't forget the fritters while waiting. Zucchini flowers
>> dipped in a light batter are nice."
>>
>> Makes me want to go out a buy a spit!

> it.hobby.cucina makes me want to go out and learn Italian. ;-)
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"MellieSue" > wrote in message

> Since there isn't an Italian cuisine forum on here, I felt this was the
> best spot. I really had not idea that Tuscan food was famous for their
> grilling. This was a really great article I thought I'd share.
>
> 'Simple Tuscan Glory'
> (http://www.zesterdaily.com/cooking/s...can-glory.html)
>
> Here's a little snippet from the article:
>
> "If you're not heading to Tuscany this week, you can capture the spirit
> of the land with a little spit roasting of your own. If you don't have
> a spit, roast the meat indirectly (away from the fire) and turn
> frequently. Don't forget the fritters while waiting. Zucchini flowers
> dipped in a light batter are nice."
>
> Makes me want to go out a buy a spit!

Grilled T-bone steak[Bistecca alla fiorentina] is a specialty in Florence,
and throughout Tuscany. That brings back great old memories. We'd have it
at Harry's Bar, along the river Arno. http://www.harrysbarfirenze.it/

Ed

> --
> MellieSue

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"MellieSue" > wrote in message

> Since there isn't an Italian cuisine forum on here, I felt this was the
> best spot. I really had not idea that Tuscan food was famous for their
> grilling. This was a really great article I thought I'd share.
>
> 'Simple Tuscan Glory'
> (http://www.zesterdaily.com/cooking/s...can-glory.html)
>
> Here's a little snippet from the article:
>
> "If you're not heading to Tuscany this week, you can capture the spirit
> of the land with a little spit roasting of your own. If you don't have
> a spit, roast the meat indirectly (away from the fire) and turn
> frequently. Don't forget the fritters while waiting. Zucchini flowers
> dipped in a light batter are nice."
>
> Makes me want to go out a buy a spit!
>

> --
> MellieSue

The steak shows in the photo is one of Tuscany's best. Of course, I've
never had a bad meal in Italy from the fancy to the simple. And good wine
for $3 a bottle. Some places just put a pitcher on the table and you drink
what you want with the meal. Don't take my word, go visit.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 28 Aug 2009 22:04:26 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>MellieSue > wrote:
>> Since there isn't an Italian cuisine forum on here, I felt this was the
>> best spot. I really had not idea that Tuscan food was famous for their
>> grilling. This was a really great article I thought I'd share.
>>
>> 'Simple Tuscan Glory'
>> (http://www.zesterdaily.com/cooking/s...can-glory.html)
>>
>> Here's a little snippet from the article:
>>
>> "If you're not heading to Tuscany this week, you can capture the spirit
>> of the land with a little spit roasting of your own. If you don't have
>> a spit, roast the meat indirectly (away from the fire) and turn
>> frequently. Don't forget the fritters while waiting. Zucchini flowers
>> dipped in a light batter are nice."
>>
>> Makes me want to go out a buy a spit!

>it.hobby.cucina makes me want to go out and learn Italian. ;-)

It makes ME realize how little I remember, and really wish that I'd
been able to visit it.hobby.cucina a lot closer to when I studied
Italian!

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "MellieSue" > wrote in message
>>
>> Since there isn't an Italian cuisine forum on here, I felt this was the
>> best spot. I really had not idea that Tuscan food was famous for their
>> grilling. This was a really great article I thought I'd share.
>>
>> 'Simple Tuscan Glory'
>> (http://www.zesterdaily.com/cooking/s...can-glory.html)
>>
>> Here's a little snippet from the article:
>>
>> "If you're not heading to Tuscany this week, you can capture the spirit
>> of the land with a little spit roasting of your own. If you don't have
>> a spit, roast the meat indirectly (away from the fire) and turn
>> frequently. Don't forget the fritters while waiting. Zucchini flowers
>> dipped in a light batter are nice."
>>
>> Makes me want to go out a buy a spit!
>>

>> --
>> MellieSue

> The steak shows in the photo is one of Tuscany's best. Of course, I've
> never had a bad meal in Italy from the fancy to the simple. And good wine
> for $3 a bottle. Some places just put a pitcher on the table and you
> drink what you want with the meal. Don't take my word, go visit.

With the dollar/euro ratio it's pretty pricey.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message

>> The steak shows in the photo is one of Tuscany's best. Of course, I've
>> never had a bad meal in Italy from the fancy to the simple. And good
>> wine for $3 a bottle. Some places just put a pitcher on the table and
>> you drink what you want with the meal. Don't take my word, go visit.
>>

> With the dollar/euro ratio it's pretty pricey.
>
> Ed

Yes and no. The Euro right now is 1.43, a very poor rate. But, air fares
are not so bad and you can get deals on rental properties. I've seen places
offering price cuts of 50% compared to a year or two ago. Last time I check
air fare, it was actually down to what I paid two years ago.

If you are young, perhaps you can afford to wait, but I don't have that many
more trips in my life so I'm not going to wait until the Euro is on par with
the dollar again. Doubt we'll ever see that. I usually wait until I get
there to take money from the ATM for a good rate, but if it drops enough (it
did about 6 months ago) I'll buy ahead and save up to 10%.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> MellieSue said:
>
>> "If you're not heading to Tuscany this week, you can capture the
>> spirit of the land with a little spit roasting of your own.

> I've tried it. It always just evaporates.

You made me spit a little whiskey out. Shame on you ;-)

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

MellieSue wrote:

> Since there isn't an Italian cuisine forum on here, I felt this was
> the best spot. I really had not idea that Tuscan food was famous for
> their grilling. This was a really great article I thought I'd share.
>
> 'Simple Tuscan Glory'
> (http://www.zesterdaily.com/cooking/s...can-glory.html)
>
> Here's a little snippet from the article:
>
> "If you're not heading to Tuscany this week, you can capture the
> spirit of the land with a little spit roasting of your own. If you
> don't have a spit, roast the meat indirectly (away from the fire) and
> turn frequently. Don't forget the fritters while waiting. Zucchini
> flowers dipped in a light batter are nice."
>
> Makes me want to go out a buy a spit!

I don't know why this article talks about spit or indirect cooking: both the
"fiorentina steak" and the famous "rosticciana" (spare ribs tuscany style)
are grilled without spit on direct heat, which is on a grill just 6-8" above
the ambers, as showed in that nice picture. Spit grilling is more renowned
in other areas of Italy such as the eastern Garda Lake area and some
southern regions.
That said, I always cuss when I think back to the magic rosticcianas I had
in Tuscany. In my area spare ribs get cut differently and there isn't all
that juicy meat on the bones, so I almost can't make a true rosticciana
here. Only the knowledge of a butcher in town gets me to grab a real
rosticciana cut once in a while, and that's freakin' good grillin'.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria wrote:

>>> Makes me want to go out a buy a spit!

>> it.hobby.cucina makes me want to go out and learn Italian. ;-)

> It makes ME realize how little I remember, and really wish that I'd
> been able to visit it.hobby.cucina a lot closer to when I studied
> Italian!

If you're lurking there and find something interesting but not clear to you,
just ask and I'll be there giving you the help I can. Nick sometimes does
so, and it's nice to help friends from everywhere getting in touch with that
group. There's some asshole, as in every NG, sure, but there's a lot of very
competent cooks, both people cooking for hobby and people cooking for a
living, as the professional restaurant cooks from Liguria and Toscana, along
with a maitre chocolatier whose chocolate pie is incredible. Welcome to IHC

--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ViLco" > wrote:

> >> it.hobby.cucina makes me want to go out and learn Italian. ;-)

> > It makes ME realize how little I remember, and really wish that I'd
> > been able to visit it.hobby.cucina a lot closer to when I studied
> > Italian!

> If you're lurking there and find something interesting but not clear to
> you, just ask and I'll be there giving you the help I can. Nick sometimes
> does so, and it's nice to help friends from everywhere getting in touch
> with that group. There's some asshole, as in every NG, sure, but there's
> a lot of very competent cooks, both people cooking for hobby and people
> cooking for a living, as the professional restaurant cooks from Liguria
> and Toscana, along with a maitre chocolatier whose chocolate pie is
> incredible. Welcome to IHC

Desi,

Villi (ViLco) is a great guy! We've exchanged emails and gifts. I even
spoke to his Mother, in Reggio Emelio, on the phone! With neither of us
speaking the other's language, that was fun.

There are a lot of great folks on i.h.c, who have been very helpful and
supportive of this bruto bambino Sichy from da Bronx, who non parla, non
capeesh. I've taken almost no flak from anyone and they've been chastised
for it. Jump in! The water's fine. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 09:50:44 GMT, "ViLco" > wrote:

>>> it.hobby.cucina makes me want to go out and learn Italian. ;-)

>> It makes ME realize how little I remember, and really wish that I'd
>> been able to visit it.hobby.cucina a lot closer to when I studied
>> Italian!

>If you're lurking there and find something interesting but not clear to you,
>just ask and I'll be there giving you the help I can. Nick sometimes does
>so, and it's nice to help friends from everywhere getting in touch with that
>group. There's some asshole, as in every NG, sure, but there's a lot of very
>competent cooks, both people cooking for hobby and people cooking for a
>living, as the professional restaurant cooks from Liguria and Toscana, along
>with a maitre chocolatier whose chocolate pie is incredible. Welcome to IHC

Grazie, Vilco. Since you're offering help, would you be willing to
translate your sig for me--to start? ;-)

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria wrote:

>> Welcome to IHC

> Grazie, Vilco. Since you're offering help, would you be willing to
> translate your sig for me--to start? ;-)

LOL! It says "never watch Trailer park Boys without some drink at hand"
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 06:37:13 GMT, "ViLco" > wrote:

>Desideria wrote:
>
>>> Welcome to IHC

>> Grazie, Vilco. Since you're offering help, would you be willing to
>> translate your sig for me--to start? ;-)

>LOL! It says "never watch Trailer park Boys without some drink at hand"

Mille grazie! :-)

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ViLco wrote:
> Desideria wrote:
>
>>> Welcome to IHC

>> Grazie, Vilco. Since you're offering help, would you be willing to
>> translate your sig for me--to start? ;-)

> LOL! It says "never watch Trailer park Boys without some drink at hand"

And, of course, that should a rum (preferably dark rum)

MargW
(wondering if the new TPBs movie will be as much fun as the first one)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

MargW wrote:

>> LOL! It says "never watch Trailer park Boys without some drink at
>> hand"

> And, of course, that should a rum (preferably dark rum)
> MargW

Remember the scene where Jim pops open a new bottle of rum and drinks it all
while walking backwards to his car? ROTFL

> (wondering if the new TPBs movie will be as much fun as the first one)

I've seen 7 series and they're wonderful, really, and I wonder why no new
serie is in the making. Meanwhile I've seen the movie and I can say they've
been good at putting very much of the atmosphere of the series in a single
movie.
I myself sometimes think "un-fu##in'-credible" or "dis-fu##in'-qualified",
ROTFL
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 28, 11:48*am, MellieSue <MellieSue.