Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Heads Up on Butts @ Butt's

Fellow Texans!

HEB is selling butts for 97¢ per pound. They are two pieces in the
plastic bag. I picked up a bag for about $15 today and just threw it in
the deep freeze. Probably will make it in a month or two.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 26, 10:15*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Fellow Texans!
>
> HEB is selling butts for 97¢ per pound. They are two pieces in the
> plastic bag. I picked up a bag for about $15 today and just threw it in
> the deep freeze. Probably will make it in a month or two.
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.

WooHoo!

Thanks Janet!

I'll be down there in the next day or so. We recently bought a new
deep freeze from Sears and it has a lot room in it. The last two
butts I bought I got the biggest single pieces I could find. They
were real beauties with nice, consistent marbling throughout.

I cut them about in two buy cutting a circle all around the butt
midway down to the bone. I opened up the butt by pushing aside the
cut section to expose the bone. A few good whacks with my cleaver and
I had two +/- 7 lb pieces of pork, both bone in. I put the rub on
one and put it on the WSM. I put rub on the others and then put them
in large freezer bags, ready to go when I am. A seven pounder is
perfect for me and my SO as I can put it on the morning and we can
easily have it for dinner. If we are having company, I can put two on
and cook in just a bit more time than just one piece, but get more
bark.

I know all HEBs aren't the same on all specials. Some specials at our
local San Antonio HEB aren't honored on the other side of town. But,
please sound off if you see any brisket sales. I was in HEB last week
and saw that packer cuts were now $1.99 a lb, and at SAM's they have
moved up to $1.68.

It was just about 2 months ago I bought 4 at .89 cents a pound. But
two are gone, and I know they prices always go up in the fall when
less barbecuing is going on. So I will be looking to keep the freezer
stocked. After all, when you have 80 degrees and sunshine in
December, it makes it pretty hard not to fire the smoker!

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Aug-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Fellow Texans!
>
> HEB is selling butts for 97¢ per pound. They are two pieces in the
> plastic bag. I picked up a bag for about $15 today and just threw it in
> the deep freeze. Probably will make it in a month or two.
> --
> Janet Wilder

I copped a bag like that just a week or so ago and smoked it the next
day before it was ever frozen. I haven't even eaten any of it yet. I got
for racks of spares at the same time for the same price. It's all vac
packed in the freezer. I already had a little cooked pork in there, but
couldn't resist the price.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 27-Aug-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Fellow Texans!
>>
>> HEB is selling butts for 97¢ per pound. They are two pieces in
>> the
>> plastic bag. I picked up a bag for about $15 today and just threw
>> it in
>> the deep freeze. Probably will make it in a month or two.
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

> I copped a bag like that just a week or so ago and smoked it the
> next
> day before it was ever frozen. I haven't even eaten any of it yet.
> I got
> for racks of spares at the same time for the same price. It's all
> vac
> packed in the freezer. I already had a little cooked pork in
> there, but
> couldn't resist the price.
>
> --
> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

I've known HEB for since late 1940's when they were still
headquartered in Corpus. My mother and brother both worked for them
in fact. Of course, the old man (Howard) has been gone for years.
Howard Jr. is not involved in running the company at all. His
younger brother, Charlie Butt, runs it and is the one who moved the
HQ to San Antonio. He is still a bachlor by the way.

Anyway, HEB has a habit of running specials at only certain stores,
seems like what the traffic will bear. The two HEB's in our town
have only Walmart for competition, and as a result, specials are
fewer, and prices are higher than in a town 15 miles down the road.

Bad business in my book.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob-tx wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ster.com...
>> On 27-Aug-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>
>>> Fellow Texans!
>>>
>>> HEB is selling butts for 97¢ per pound. They are two pieces in
>>> the
>>> plastic bag. I picked up a bag for about $15 today and just threw
>>> it in
>>> the deep freeze. Probably will make it in a month or two.
>>> --
>>> Janet Wilder

>> I copped a bag like that just a week or so ago and smoked it the
>> next
>> day before it was ever frozen. I haven't even eaten any of it yet.
>> I got
>> for racks of spares at the same time for the same price. It's all
>> vac
>> packed in the freezer. I already had a little cooked pork in
>> there, but
>> couldn't resist the price.
>>
>> --
>> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

> I've known HEB for since late 1940's when they were still
> headquartered in Corpus. My mother and brother both worked for them
> in fact. Of course, the old man (Howard) has been gone for years.
> Howard Jr. is not involved in running the company at all. His
> younger brother, Charlie Butt, runs it and is the one who moved the
> HQ to San Antonio. He is still a bachlor by the way.
>
> Anyway, HEB has a habit of running specials at only certain stores,
> seems like what the traffic will bear. The two HEB's in our town
> have only Walmart for competition, and as a result, specials are
> fewer, and prices are higher than in a town 15 miles down the road.
>
> Bad business in my book.

There is absolutely no competition for HEB here in The Valley except for
Super WalMart and a few small, Hispanic-oriented chains. We still get
the sales.

HEB is very neighborhood oriented. We have three stores in Harlingen and
each has a slightly different product line that appeals to the
shoppers at that store. IMO, this is good business. It shows that the
store researches its customer base and provides what they want.

Having sales in one place and not another might reflect the fact that
they have researched that the product won't do as well in all locations
and they can't justify it as a loss-leader. Again, JMHO.

We have a family member who was an executive for HEB in San Antonio for
several years. He said Charles Butt was a wonderful man to work for and
spoke very highly about the company and how it is run. Their families,
however were in the Northeast, so grand-parental pressure resulted in
them moving away.

I am quite happy with my local HEBs. They try very hard to make shopping
a good experience and to save me money.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 23:15:22 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Fellow Texans!
>
> HEB is selling butts for 97¢ per pound. They are two pieces in the
> plastic bag. I picked up a bag for about $15 today and just threw it in
> the deep freeze. Probably will make it in a month or two.

Uh, you do know that the sale ended 45 minutes after you posted
this, right?

I saw that the "Country Style Rbs" were on sale, but I didn't look
at the butts. I wasn't in the mood for Harold's Butts last week
after I got some at CostCo.

BTW: I don't think Dallas has any HEB's, so that's 1/3rd of Texas
right there.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 07:05:00 -0600, Bob-tx wrote:

> Anyway, HEB has a habit of running specials at only certain stores,
> seems like what the traffic will bear. The two HEB's in our town
> have only Walmart for competition, and as a result, specials are
> fewer, and prices are higher than in a town 15 miles down the road.

The specials are always the same in all Austin, Round Rock, and Kyle
stores. That's at least 20 stores.

The regular prices are what vary by location. I have a very
consistent one outside my house. I have never seen prices any lower
at another store on the things I buy. And many of the prices are
much lower than the ones in other parts of town.

Short ribs have been $1.79/lb for 3 years. At all the other stores
they are either $2.99, or $3.79 ($4.99 at Central Market). Buying
beef back ribs for $1.49 as opposed to short ribs for $1.79 is a no
brainer.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 27, 12:16*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Having sales in one place and not another might reflect the fact that
> they have researched that the product won't do as well in all locations
> and they can't justify it as a loss-leader. Again, JMHO.

I saw a spot on "Conversations" with the folks from HEB with part of
the topic being efficiency. The HEB rep readily admitted that Walmart
had set a new standard for efficiency and marketing, down to
individual items on the shelf.

He noted that not having the same exact merchandise in all Walmart
stores hadn't hurt their sales a bit.

Same with Target stores; if they don't have a grocery in the Target
you go to, you can throw out the weekly ad.

I think that HEB slid along with no worries after running Kroger,
Albertson's, and one other out of town. I was stunned they ousted
Kroger and Albertson's - and here we are 20 years later and many of
the old Kroger's and Albertson's are still empty.

I agree with the marketing guys from many of Walmart's competition.
You can either get REALLY competitive and mean, or you can sit and
whine. The HEB guy was proud to say that not only had they hung on
against the big blue onslaught, they were doing just fine.

> I am quite happy with my local HEBs. They try very hard to make shopping
> a good experience and to save me money.

I think the competition has made both Walmart and HEB better stores.
I don't shop at Walmart for food, but not sure why. Both stores seem
a lot cleaner and the employees more friendly. I still shop at HEB
and Sam's mostly.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 23:15:22 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> Fellow Texans!
>>
>> HEB is selling butts for 97¢ per pound. They are two pieces in the
>> plastic bag. I picked up a bag for about $15 today and just threw it in
>> the deep freeze. Probably will make it in a month or two.

> Uh, you do know that the sale ended 45 minutes after you posted
> this, right?
>
> I saw that the "Country Style Rbs" were on sale, but I didn't look
> at the butts. I wasn't in the mood for Harold's Butts last week
> after I got some at CostCo.
>
> BTW: I don't think Dallas has any HEB's, so that's 1/3rd of Texas
> right there.
>
> -sw

they have them in Dallas. I have a friend who lives in Garland which is
a DFW suburb. She says they have HEB and when DH and I went up to
Arlington to catch a couple of ballgames in May, HEB was advertising at
the stadium and on local TV.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 07:05:00 -0600, Bob-tx wrote:
>
>> Anyway, HEB has a habit of running specials at only certain stores,
>> seems like what the traffic will bear. The two HEB's in our town
>> have only Walmart for competition, and as a result, specials are
>> fewer, and prices are higher than in a town 15 miles down the road.

> The specials are always the same in all Austin, Round Rock, and Kyle
> stores. That's at least 20 stores.
>
> The regular prices are what vary by location. I have a very
> consistent one outside my house. I have never seen prices any lower
> at another store on the things I buy. And many of the prices are
> much lower than the ones in other parts of town.

That is true. The prices on some items in HEB in Houston were 10 to 15%
higher than at home.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> On Aug 27, 12:16 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>

>> Having sales in one place and not another might reflect the fact that
>> they have researched that the product won't do as well in all locations
>> and they can't justify it as a loss-leader. Again, JMHO.

> I saw a spot on "Conversations" with the folks from HEB with part of
> the topic being efficiency. The HEB rep readily admitted that Walmart
> had set a new standard for efficiency and marketing, down to
> individual items on the shelf.
>
> He noted that not having the same exact merchandise in all Walmart
> stores hadn't hurt their sales a bit.

A few years ago they opened a Super WalMart right across the street
from the comparatively small HEB in San Benito. I thought it would kill
the HEB, but it's flourishing. The El Globo ( a small, locally-owned
chain) down the road, however, did not fare as well. It is closing its
doors.

> Same with Target stores; if they don't have a grocery in the Target
> you go to, you can throw out the weekly ad.
>
> I think that HEB slid along with no worries after running Kroger,
> Albertson's, and one other out of town. I was stunned they ousted
> Kroger and Albertson's - and here we are 20 years later and many of
> the old Kroger's and Albertson's are still empty.

After being empty for about 8 years the Albertson's in Harlingen was
just reopened as a call center for United Healthcare. Those are the
folks who so the AARP medicare supplement policies.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:39:57 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

>> BTW: I don't think Dallas has any HEB's, so that's 1/3rd of Texas
>> right there.

> they have them in Dallas. I have a friend who lives in Garland which is
> a DFW suburb. She says they have HEB and when DH and I went up to
> Arlington to catch a couple of ballgames in May, HEB was advertising at
> the stadium and on local TV.

Several people have mentioned that don't actually have HEB's *in*
Dallas proper. And I can't find any on Google. Just Central
Markets.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:45:49 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> wrote:
>> On Aug 27, 12:16 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>
>>> Having sales in one place and not another might reflect the fact that
>>> they have researched that the product won't do as well in all locations
>>> and they can't justify it as a loss-leader. Again, JMHO.

>> I saw a spot on "Conversations" with the folks from HEB with part of
>> the topic being efficiency. The HEB rep readily admitted that Walmart
>> had set a new standard for efficiency and marketing, down to
>> individual items on the shelf.
>>
>> He noted that not having the same exact merchandise in all Walmart
>> stores hadn't hurt their sales a bit.

> A few years ago they opened a Super WalMart right across the street
> from the comparatively small HEB in San Benito. I thought it would kill
> the HEB, but it's flourishing. The El Globo ( a small, locally-owned
> chain) down the road, however, did not fare as well. It is closing its
> doors.

There have been several trade articles about how HEB is fending off
Walmart in the same territories based on how HEB adapts to their
demographics much more readily than Walmart. When you discount the
non-grocery items from Walmart. HEB still has the market.

You can't buy Texas-shaped colby cheese at Walmart, for example ;-)

Walmart tried to make a go of localizing their stores in recent
years but has failed miserably. Their most recent announcement was
"Mercado Walmart". No habla english per favor.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:45:49 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>

>> A few years ago they opened a Super WalMart right across the street
>> from the comparatively small HEB in San Benito. I thought it would kill
>> the HEB, but it's flourishing. The El Globo ( a small, locally-owned
>> chain) down the road, however, did not fare as well. It is closing its
>> doors.

> There have been several trade articles about how HEB is fending off
> Walmart in the same territories based on how HEB adapts to their
> demographics much more readily than Walmart. When you discount the
> non-grocery items from Walmart. HEB still has the market.

The difference in quality in the fresh ingredients accounts for HEB's
success. WalMart meat is full of added salt water. Their produce spoils
in a couple of days. They have national contracts with suppliers and
their logistics make it take much longer between supplier and store shelf.

HEB has direct contracts with regional farms. They don't have to ship
their stuff clear across the country so they don't have to lengthen the
shelf life of their meats by using chemicals. Their meat is good and
it's fresh.

> You can't buy Texas-shaped colby cheese at Walmart, for example ;-)

or Texas shaped crackers, either.

> Walmart tried to make a go of localizing their stores in recent
> years but has failed miserably. Their most recent announcement was
> "Mercado Walmart". No habla english per favor.

The ones near me do carry a larger line of Hispanic/Latino products.

We buy things like toiletries and dog food at WalMart. Can't beat their
prices for some of that stuff, but when it comes to groceries, fresh
meat, fish, seafood, poultry, vegetables and fruit, I'll shop at HEB.

BTW, HEB was selling fresh, not frozen and thawed, Gulf shrimp this
week. 40 count for $4.99/#.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 23:55:44 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> You can't buy Texas-shaped colby cheese at Walmart, for example ;-)

> or Texas shaped crackers, either.

Or Texas-shaped tortilla chips...

> BTW, HEB was selling fresh, not frozen and thawed, Gulf shrimp this
> week. 40 count for $4.99/#.

I got some last week and posted about it ... somewhere.

This week it was $3.99, but previously frozen. Walmart here doesn't
even have a seafood counter. Everything is brined with phosphates,
prepacked, and frozen.

-sw

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 27, 12:15*am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Fellow Texans!
>
> HEB is selling butts for 97¢ per pound. They are two pieces in the
> plastic bag. I picked up a bag for about $15 today and just threw it in
> the deep freeze. Probably will make it in a month or two.
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.

Well nyah!
I bought 6 butts @ CDN $0.99/lb and 1 picnic for CDN $0.59/lb last
night at Fu Yao in Toronto's East China town.
Anyone else do their pork shopping in China town? What city? I
suppose most ethnic markets are going to have cheaper prices,
especially on cheap cuts like butts and picnics. Cheap cabbage and
lemons too. Pulled pork, cole slaw and lemonade. YAY!

Cam
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 28, 6:20*am, Cam in Toronto > wrote:

> I bought 6 butts @ CDN $0.99/lb and 1 picnic for CDN $0.59/lb last
> night at Fu Yao in Toronto's East China town.
> Anyone else do their pork shopping in China town? *What city? I

I shoulda thought of pork butt in an asian market. Doh! Going to one
today will check it out, thanks for the reminder.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 28, 4:50*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I don't know how you survived, either. Ask the manager to get some for
> you. It is a must when entertaining out-of-state visitors <g>

Heh, you guys got a fetish for that stuff dontcha? What is it about
the shape, it's not like it's got a virile panhandle like Florida. and
your southern border is soggy and wet like a alky on a bender in 6
day old underpants. You don't see people from states like Wyoming,
Colorado or even North Dakota do this now do you?

(Hiding the Texas shaped basket on my desk)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:58:03 -0600, Bob-tx wrote:

> I live in Centex (north of Austin - south of Waco), and I have never
> seen Texas shaped cheese of any kind ant HEB, where we shop all the
> time.

Pshaw.

I don't even know what that word above means but I know
it ain't Texan.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Texas-Shaped Cheese and Chips

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:38:33 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:

> Heh, you guys got a fetish for that stuff dontcha? What is it about
> the shape, it's not like it's got a virile panhandle like Florida. and
> your southern border is soggy and wet like a alky on a bender in 6
> day old underpants. You don't see people from states like Wyoming,
> Colorado or even North Dakota do this now do you?

The best-shaped tortilla chips are shaped like Pennsylvania,
California, Nebraska, and Detroit.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:58:03 -0600, Bob-tx wrote:

> I live in Centex (north of Austin - south of Waco), and I have never
> seen Texas shaped cheese of any kind at HEB, where we shop all the
> time.

You have now:

http://www.heb.com/yourHEBStore/SD-d...heeseFruit.jsp

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:38:33 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:
>
>> Heh, you guys got a fetish for that stuff dontcha? What is it about
>> the shape, it's not like it's got a virile panhandle like Florida.
>> and your southern border is soggy and wet like a alky on a bender
>> in 6 day old underpants. You don't see people from states like
>> Wyoming, Colorado or even North Dakota do this now do you?

> The best-shaped tortilla chips are shaped like Pennsylvania,
> California, Nebraska, and Detroit.

But the most spiritual are shaped like Madonna....er, the madonna.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:38:33 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:
>>
>>> Heh, you guys got a fetish for that stuff dontcha? What is it
>>> about
>>> the shape, it's not like it's got a virile panhandle like
>>> Florida.
>>> and your southern border is soggy and wet like a alky on a
>>> bender
>>> in 6 day old underpants. You don't see people from states like
>>> Wyoming, Colorado or even North Dakota do this now do you?

>> The best-shaped tortilla chips are shaped like Pennsylvania,
>> California, Nebraska, and Detroit.

> But the most spiritual are shaped like Madonna....er, the madonna.

I left a bowl of tortilla (corn) chips on the counter.
My wife spent the next two days trying to put the puzzle together.
But, that's okay - I have always been partial to blondes.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:38:33 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:
>>
>>> Heh, you guys got a fetish for that stuff dontcha? What is it about
>>> the shape, it's not like it's got a virile panhandle like Florida.
>>> and your southern border is soggy and wet like a alky on a bender
>>> in 6 day old underpants. You don't see people from states like
>>> Wyoming, Colorado or even North Dakota do this now do you?

>> The best-shaped tortilla chips are shaped like Pennsylvania,
>> California, Nebraska, and Detroit.

> But the most spiritual are shaped like Madonna....er, the madonna.

The local TV station would do a story on it <g> A friend of mine wrote
a play about Our Lady of the Tortilla. It was about a woman who found
the face of the Virgin Mary on her tortilla. They find her in tree bark
a lot around here.

Janet, who thinks it's all quite adorable.