Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Wow, is everyone foiling these days?

Well, I just read this on the local website about our local champion
barbecue team.

http://www.woai.com/entertainment/st...XVzkylL4g.cspx

or

http://tinyurl.com/mk95f4

I have seen them before, and they don't give away much info, just
really vague information. "Yeah, you could use that if you wanted, go
ahead and experiment if you like, try this and see how you like it, I
don't know why that wouldn't work" kind of replies.

Always vague and deferential, and NEVER any real details. But they
are very well liked around here because the compete and organize
events and give almost all the money to charity. Apparently, just
great guys.

Here are their bonafides:

http://www.woai.com/content/blogs/li..._ufiBZECg.cspx

or

http://tinyurl.com/ma92t3

***************

My point being, they aren't pikers, beginners, or just lucky. Crap,
they beat out 300 teams at the rodeo alone to get that one crown.
They also have rooms full of trophies from other events as well.

So in reading their blurb on cooking, I saw that they foiled a
brisket. I haven't ever heard of anyone foiling <<a whole brisket>>.
In Texas? Is this a trend? A winning secret? Does this reflect a
change in the taste buds of judges? Do judges want the brisket to
have the texture of pullable pork? And how do you get any kind of
lightly crunchy bark on a brisket that you foil for 2 - 3 hours to
braise in its own juices?

For 35 years, I thought the only debate on a great brisket was "fat up
or down" and "what temp".

But foil?

Anyone?

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
> Here are their bonafides:
>
> http://www.woai.com/content/blogs/li..._ufiBZECg.cspx
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ma92t3
>
> ***************
>
> My point being, they aren't pikers, beginners, or just lucky. Crap,
> they beat out 300 teams at the rodeo alone to get that one crown.
> They also have rooms full of trophies from other events as well.
>
> So in reading their blurb on cooking, I saw that they foiled a
> brisket. I haven't ever heard of anyone foiling <<a whole brisket>>.
> In Texas? Is this a trend? A winning secret? Does this reflect a
> change in the taste buds of judges? Do judges want the brisket to
> have the texture of pullable pork? And how do you get any kind of
> lightly crunchy bark on a brisket that you foil for 2 - 3 hours to
> braise in its own juices?
>
> For 35 years, I thought the only debate on a great brisket was "fat up
> or down" and "what temp".
>
> But foil?
>
> Anyone?
>
> Robert

Who are the judges? I'm thinking this is one of the events that the public
chooses the winner. The winner is the one with the most sugar in the sauce.
The crowd that east steamed ribs thinking theyare great because the mushy
meat fall off the bone and they are covered in a sweet sauce.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 26, 6:11*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > My point being, they aren't pikers, beginners, or just lucky. *Crap,
> > they beat out 300 teams at the rodeo alone to get that one crown.
> > They also have rooms full of trophies from other events as well.

> > So in reading their blurb on cooking, I saw that they foiled a
> > brisket. *I haven't ever heard of anyone foiling <<a whole brisket>>.
> > In Texas? *Is this a trend? *A winning secret? *Does this reflect a
> > change in the taste buds of judges? *Do judges want the brisket to
> > have the texture of pullable pork? *And how do you get any kind of
> > lightly crunchy bark on a brisket that you foil for 2 - 3 hours to
> > braise in its own juices?

> > For 35 years, I thought the only debate on a great brisket was "fat up
> > or down" and "what temp".

> > But foil?

> > Anyone?

> > Robert

> Who are the judges? *I'm thinking this is one of the events that the public
> chooses the winner. *The winner is the one with the most sugar in the sauce.
> The crowd that east steamed ribs thinking theyare great because the mushy
> meat fall off the bone and they are covered in a sweet sauce.- Hide quoted text -

We went to the Scarborough Rib Fest a couple of weeks ago and I was
surprised at how sweet the sauce was from all the competitors. Maybe I
shouldn't say surprised as much as disappointed. I'm doing ribs this
weekend for about 20 people and am thinking maybe I should just get a
big bottle of Kraft if that's what people like. Me, I'll have mine dry
or with a chipotle salsa.
Sweet sells because people like sweet. It's the lowest common
denominator. Individual tastes vary but the majority rules.

Cam
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 26, 2:25*am, " >
wrote:
> Well, I just read this on the local website about our local champion
> barbecue team.
>
> *http://www.woai.com/entertainment/st...-Guyos-BBQ-Bri....
>
> or
>
> *http://tinyurl.com/mk95f4
>
> I have seen them before, and they don't give away much info, just
> really vague information. *"Yeah, you could use that if you wanted, go
> ahead and experiment if you like, try this and see how you like it, I
> don't know why that wouldn't work" kind of replies.
>
> Always vague and deferential, and NEVER any real details. *But they
> are very well liked around here because the compete and organize
> events and give almost all the money to charity. *Apparently, just
> great guys.
>
> Here are their bonafides:
>
> http://www.woai.com/content/blogs/li...nce-of-the-Hog...
>
> or
>
> *http://tinyurl.com/ma92t3
>
> ***************
>
> My point being, they aren't pikers, beginners, or just lucky. *Crap,
> they beat out 300 teams at the rodeo alone to get that one crown.
> They also have rooms full of trophies from other events as well.
>
> So in reading their blurb on cooking, I saw that they foiled a
> brisket. *I haven't ever heard of anyone foiling <<a whole brisket>>.
> In Texas? *Is this a trend? *A winning secret? *Does this reflect a
> change in the taste buds of judges? *Do judges want the brisket to
> have the texture of pullable pork? *And how do you get any kind of
> lightly crunchy bark on a brisket that you foil for 2 - 3 hours to
> braise in its own juices?
> For 35 years, I thought the only debate on a great brisket was "fat up
> or down" and "what temp".
> But foil?>
> Anyone?>
> Robert

Robert, foiling is pretty common on the circuit. Not so much that
they want to turn the meat into mush, but to balance the smoke flavor;
they need to to turn it off, and prevent oversmoking. It does have
the effect of steaming the meat, but that is usually overcome by
slicing the meat thicker to hold it together, and using it as a
component in the cook to keep a balance of heat/smoke-foil so it comes
out right.
Not to be outdone, most of these cooks inject their briskets as well.
(They use FAB.) Nothing pure about competition bbq, Robert.
Pierre
CBJ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 26, 2:44*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> I've never 'foiled', and I doubt that I ever will. I don't like the taste or
> the texture of foiled meat.

AMEN !!

Next thing I know I will be reading about someone foiling sausages.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 26, 10:56*pm, " >
wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2:44*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
> > I've never 'foiled', and I doubt that I ever will. I don't like the taste or
> > the texture of foiled meat.

> AMEN !!
>
> Next thing I know I will be reading about someone foiling sausages.

Too low a return for value, at this point the foil is better used as a
hat.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

No, no, the meat! Not the foil! ;{}

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> Theron said:
>
>> Please elaborate. What don't you like about the taste and texture of
>> foiled meat?

> It's too crunchy and metallic tasting, and difficult to swallow.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> Theron said:
>
>> Please elaborate. What don't you like about the taste and texture of
>> foiled meat?

> It's too crunchy and metallic tasting, and difficult to swallow.

Please elaborate.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Please **** off.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

> I've never 'foiled', and I doubt that I ever will. I don't like the taste
> or the texture of foiled meat.

I have, and pretty much regretted it every time. I usually foil when I'm
casually smoking, and occupied with other stuff. friends are coming for
dinner and oh crap the brisket has been stuck at 170 for four hours.
I have seen really great competition teams that foil as part of their
process, but I always seem to overdo mine. Nothing turns a piece of BBQ
from sublime to really good so quick as foiling.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sparkout wrote:

> Nothing turns a piece of BBQ from sublime to really good so quick as
> foiling.

I like that; well said.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 28, 11:48*am, "Wallace" > wrote:

>*Beats me.

Of that we're sure.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 27, 12:00*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> > Next thing I know I will be reading about someone foiling sausages.

> My sausage has been ready but foiled on occasion...

Think Ed McMahon's voice here....

HIYOOO!!!

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Who's Ed McMahon?

> wrote in message
> On Aug 27, 12:00 pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
>

>> > Next thing I know I will be reading about someone foiling sausages.

>> My sausage has been ready but foiled on occasion...

> Think Ed McMahon's voice here....
>

> HIYOOO!!!
>
> Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:39:44 -0700, Theron wrote:

> Please elaborate.

Please go to hell ****ing a dead mule.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 22:37:24 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

> Theron wrote:
>
>> Please elaborate.

> Please **** off.

Nobody even had to announce it was Kent. I just comes... naturally.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Computer says no.

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:39:44 -0700, Theron wrote:
>
>> Please elaborate.

> Please go to hell ****ing a dead mule.
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 28, 5:42*pm, "Michael" > wrote:

> Who's Ed McMahon?

OUCH!!!!

Robert

Ouch again !!...

Proof: foiling is a joke tutall Barbecue 8 26-07-2010 01:10 AM
Foiling ribs... 43fan[_2_] Barbecue 10 04-10-2008 02:15 AM
Opinions on foiling ribs? 43fan[_2_] Barbecue 36 01-10-2008 02:00 PM
"There are days, and there are days . . . Nick Cramer Diabetic 0 13-06-2008 09:04 AM