Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Bresola

We were on a cruise and for the first time I encountered Bresola.
While not a BBQ item, it's like Prosciutto Ham, and is something
that also has a place on a table. Essentially, it's an air cured
beef version of prosciutto, served paper thin and eaten either
around something like a breadstick, cheese spread, melon slice or
even for more flavoring on a sandwich. Here's a URL I found about
making it.

http://www.wellhungmeat.com/recipes/Bresola.php

The stuff we had on the cruise was imported from Italy, and used
South American beef to get around the mad cow fear. It is dark
mahogany in color, not as dry as you'd think, and the flavor is
incredible.

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

> We were on a cruise and for the first time I encountered Bresola. While
> not a BBQ item, it's like Prosciutto Ham, and is something that also has
> a place on a table. Essentially, it's an air cured beef version of
> prosciutto, served paper thin and eaten either around something like a
> breadstick, cheese spread, melon slice or even for more flavoring on a
> sandwich. Here's a URL I found about making it.
>
> http://www.wellhungmeat.com/recipes/Bresola.php
>
> The stuff we had on the cruise was imported from Italy, and used South
> American beef to get around the mad cow fear. It is dark mahogany in
> color, not as dry as you'd think, and the flavor is incredible.

Breseola is a favorite. I make it several times a year.

I'd stay clear of the recipe you posted for a few reasons. It doesn't
use a nitrate cure, which I'd strongly recommend for safety reasons.
Dry curing involves uncooked meat that will subsequently be held
unrefrigerated. Also, the recipe does not in any way describe the
proper parameters for dry curing the meat. Humidity, etc. This
is just as critical.

In general, you should steer clear of one-off recipes
for dry cured products that you find in a random web search.
This is an area where it's very important that the information
comes from an established authority on the subject. Beware of
"gramma used to make it this way" dry cure recipes.

This is a solid breseola recipe that I'd recommend. Plus the
whole site is great. It goes into depth about the general
rules for dry curing meat.

<http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/bresaola.pdf>

You would also do best to get the broad background information
first, then try some recipes. The Kutas book has some rudimentary
information on the subject, but I would recommend adding to that
knowledge by reading a more up-to-date book. Here's one of the best:

Cooking by Hand
http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Hand-P.../dp/0609608932

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonny" > wrote:
> We were on a cruise and for the first time I encountered Bresola.
> While not a BBQ item, it's like Prosciutto Ham, and is something
> that also has a place on a table. Essentially, it's an air cured
> beef version of prosciutto, served paper thin and eaten either
> around something like a breadstick, cheese spread, melon slice or
> even for more flavoring on a sandwich. Here's a URL I found about
> making it.
>
> http://www.wellhungmeat.com/recipes/Bresola.php
>
> The stuff we had on the cruise was imported from Italy, and used
> South American beef to get around the mad cow fear. It is dark
> mahogany in color, not as dry as you'd think, and the flavor is
> incredible.

Sounds good, Nonny. You might like this, too:

Braciola

Notes: Braciola is served everywhere in Sicily. In some places it is called
fasumagru, which probably comes from the French faux maigre, meaning
"false lean."
This version is from Papa Andrea and very tasty. Traditionally, braciola is
served after the pasta and before the main meat course. As a proper second
course, however, it is pleasing to serve individual portions sliced,
delicately sauced, and accompanied by steamed carrots.

Ingredients - -serves four

4 beef cutlets (also called milanesa), cut from the sirloin tip, pounded
very flat and wide, weighing about 1/4 pound each

2 ounces caciocavalo or provolone cheese, diced

1-1/4-inch slice hard salami (about 2 ounces), diced

1/2 pound ground veal

1 egg, beaten

2 eggs, hard-boiled and cut in half lengthwise

extra virgin olive oil

sea salt

black pepper

FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE

1 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes

1/2 medium-sized onion, chopped fine

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons tomato paste dissolved in 1/3 cup water

1 teaspoon sugar

1 sprig basil

sea salt

black pepper

Preparation
Pierce the eggshells to keep them from cracking and hard-boil the eggs.

Meanwhile, prepare the tomato sauce. Pass the tomatoes through a food mill,
fitted with the disk with the smallest holes, to remove the seeds. Scrape
into the bowl any pulp that has stuck to the bottom side of the mill.

Place the olive oil and onion in a 3-1/2-quart saucepan. Sauté at medium
heat. When the onion turns clear, add the tomato paste. Cook for about one
minute until it thickens. Add the tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper, and basil.
Cook at a very low heat. Do not allow the sauce to boil.

Prepare the stuffing. Mix the veal, cheese, salami, and beaten egg together
in a bowl. Salt and pepper. Remember that both the cheese and salami are
salty, so adjust for that.

Place each cutlet on a work surface covered with waxed paper. Place equal
amounts of stuffing on each cutlet. Place half of a hard-boiled egg on
each. Roll up the cutlets, slightly overlapping the edge, and tie them into
neat, closed packages.

Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet on high heat. When it is
hot, brown each braciola on all sides. Then place them in the tomato sauce
and cook gently for one hour. Serve as previously suggested.

Total Time: 90 minutes

Mangia! Mangia!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Nonny wrote:
>
>> We were on a cruise and for the first time I encountered
>> Bresola. While not a BBQ item, it's like Prosciutto Ham, and is
>> something that also has a place on a table. Essentially, it's
>> an air cured beef version of prosciutto, served paper thin and
>> eaten either around something like a breadstick, cheese spread,
>> melon slice or even for more flavoring on a sandwich. Here's a
>> URL I found about making it.
>>
>> http://www.wellhungmeat.com/recipes/Bresola.php
>>
>> The stuff we had on the cruise was imported from Italy, and
>> used South American beef to get around the mad cow fear. It is
>> dark mahogany in color, not as dry as you'd think, and the
>> flavor is incredible.
>>

> Breseola is a favorite. I make it several times a year.
>
> I'd stay clear of the recipe you posted for a few reasons. It
> doesn't
> use a nitrate cure, which I'd strongly recommend for safety
> reasons.
> Dry curing involves uncooked meat that will subsequently be held
> unrefrigerated. Also, the recipe does not in any way describe
> the
> proper parameters for dry curing the meat. Humidity, etc. This
> is just as critical.
>
> In general, you should steer clear of one-off recipes
> for dry cured products that you find in a random web search.
> This is an area where it's very important that the information
> comes from an established authority on the subject. Beware of
> "gramma used to make it this way" dry cure recipes.
>
> This is a solid breseola recipe that I'd recommend. Plus the
> whole site is great. It goes into depth about the general
> rules for dry curing meat.
>
> <http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/bresaola.pdf>
>
> You would also do best to get the broad background information
> first, then try some recipes. The Kutas book has some
> rudimentary
> information on the subject, but I would recommend adding to that
> knowledge by reading a more up-to-date book. Here's one of the
> best:
>
> Cooking by Hand
> http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Hand-P.../dp/0609608932

Wow, thanks for some great information. Right now, I just want to
get a commercial version, but might try making it after I gain
some experience.

-
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> [...]

> salami are
> salty, so adjust for that.
>
> Place each cutlet on a work surface covered with waxed paper.
> Place equal
> amounts of stuffing on each cutlet. Place half of a hard-boiled
> egg on
> each. Roll up the cutlets, slightly overlapping the edge, and
> tie them into
> neat, closed packages.
>
> Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet on high heat.
> When it is
> hot, brown each braciola on all sides. Then place them in the
> tomato sauce
> and cook gently for one hour. Serve as previously suggested.
>
> Total Time: 90 minutes
>
> Mangia! Mangia!
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and

Again, a big WOW- I just passed the recipe along to our
houseguest, who comes from a big Italian family and loves to cook
that type of dish. I'll report back. . . many thanks.

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonny" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Nonny" > wrote:
> >> We were on a cruise and for the first time I encountered
> >> Bresola.

[ . . . ]
> > Sounds good, Nonny. You might like this, too:
> >
> > Braciola
> >[]

> Again, a big WOW- I just passed the recipe along to our
> houseguest, who comes from a big Italian family and loves to cook
> that type of dish. I'll report back. . . many thanks.

Nothing like the Bresaola Al Carpaccio that you had, but I hope your friend
likes it.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

> We were on a cruise and for the first time I encountered Bresola.
> While not a BBQ item, it's like Prosciutto Ham, and is something
> that also has a place on a table. Essentially, it's an air cured
> beef version of prosciutto, served paper thin and eaten either
> around something like a breadstick, cheese spread, melon slice or
> even for more flavoring on a sandwich. Here's a URL I found about
> making it.

The correct name is "bresaola", if you call it "bresola" you make people get
confused with "braciola", as happened to Nick.
I too like breasola a lot, expecially in summer, with some capricciosa salad
(maionnayse with some julienned pickled veggies) and light bread.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:

> Total Time: 90 minutes
>
> Mangia! Mangia!

Very nice looking recipe, Nick, maybe one of these days...
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 24, 2:37*pm, "Nonny" > wrote:
> We were on a cruise and for the first time I encountered Bresola.
> While not a BBQ item, it's like Prosciutto Ham, and is something

Nonny - I made some using a recipe in the popular Charcuterie book
(http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Cr...ing-Curing/dp/
0393058298/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b) except I substituted venison since I
had luck that year in the woods. I had never had it before so I have
nothing to compare it to, but it came out extremely well. I agree with
the recommendation of not deviating from established and tested
recipes, but then again, I figured I'd test it on myself a few times
before sharing. I didn't get sick or die, so I took that as a good
sign. The only down side was I didn't make enough, and it went fast. I
plan to do it again to a larger degree next deer I get. I will also
cold-smoke part of a batch to see if I like it that way.

-Jeff

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:03:18 -0700, RegForte wrote:

> <http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/bresaola.pdf>

I'm always a little hesitant when the picture doesn't match the
recipe.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

>> <http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/bresaola.pdf>

> I'm always a little hesitant when the picture doesn't match the
> recipe.

She didn't posta recipe, just a description of what you've seen in that
picture.
The only recipe in thsi thread is from Nick who got confused by the
misspelling of bresaola which got written "bresola", leading him to think of
"braciola", nut I can understand him: me too started thinking about
"braciola" after reading "bresola".
It's bresaola and it's a cold cut, just the one in the picture.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:57:27 GMT, ViLco wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>>> <http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/bresaola.pdf>

>> I'm always a little hesitant when the picture doesn't match the
>> recipe.

> She didn't posta recipe, just a description of what you've seen in that
> picture.

I think you must be high. That link was not posted by "her" ("Reg"
stands for "Regular Guy") and it does include a recipe and picture.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:03:18 -0700, RegForte wrote:
>

>><http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/bresaola.pdf>

> I'm always a little hesitant when the picture doesn't match the
> recipe.

I got yer pictures right here, buddy

http://robosurf.net/tmp/DSCN0518-copy.jpg
http://robosurf.net/tmp/DSCN0524-copy.jpg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I'm always a little hesitant when the picture doesn't match the
>>> recipe.

>> She didn't posta recipe, just a description of what you've seen in
>> that picture.

> I think you must be high. That link was not posted by "her" ("Reg"
> stands for "Regular Guy") and it does include a recipe and picture.

OK, now I understand. But I still don't see nothing wrong here, that recipe
tells to mix the spice rub and rub it onto the meat chunks, and in the
picture you see a cured meat chunk. Which difference are you pointing at?
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

>> She didn't posta recipe, just a description of what you've seen in
>> that picture.

> I think you must be high. That link was not posted by "her" ("Reg"
> stands for "Regular Guy") and it does include a recipe and picture.

BTW, the link to the picture and recipe has been posted by Nonny, not
regforte.
Leave those beers alone
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte wrote:

> I got yer pictures right here, buddy
>
> http://robosurf.net/tmp/DSCN0518-copy.jpg
> http://robosurf.net/tmp/DSCN0524-copy.jpg

Nice pictures, it looks a tad light in color.
Check this one, that's what I usually see in shops around he
http://www.palermoweb.com/fitness/images/bresaola.jpg
http://www.maggengo.it/intra/upload/...0x_700x700.JPG
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ViLco wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>

>>>She didn't posta recipe, just a description of what you've seen in
>>>that picture.

>>I think you must be high. That link was not posted by "her" ("Reg"
>>stands for "Regular Guy") and it does include a recipe and picture.

> BTW, the link to the picture and recipe has been posted by Nonny, not
> regforte.
> Leave those beers alone

Incorrecto, Senore Italiano ... Please reread.

And learn to Trust The Sqwertz.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ViLco" > wrote in message

> The correct name is "bresaola", if you call it "bresola" you
> make people get confused with "braciola", as happened to Nick.
> I too like breasola a lot, expecially in summer, with some
> capricciosa salad (maionnayse with some julienned pickled
> veggies) and light bread.
> --
> Vilco
> Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
> qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

I saw that when I began looking for it online. On the cruise
ship, the spelling on the sign was Bresola, but I saw that Google
redirected me to the correct spelling. Thanks.

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"RegForte" > wrote in message

> I got yer pictures right here, buddy
>
> http://robosurf.net/tmp/DSCN0518-copy.jpg
> http://robosurf.net/tmp/DSCN0524-copy.jpg

The pictures look a lot like what I had aboard the ship, but the
meat they served was a bit more purple in color. I guess they
also trimmed off the rind, obviously. Looking at the second
picture, what are you supposed to do with the horizontal strip
that is seen inside the piece? Do you cut it out after slicing,
or go ahead and serve it. The Bresaola we had aboard the ship was
uniform in color and texture, with virtually no visible fat.

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

> "RegForte" > wrote in message
>

>> I got yer pictures right here, buddy
>>
>> http://robosurf.net/tmp/DSCN0518-copy.jpg
>> http://robosurf.net/tmp/DSCN0524-copy.jpg

> The pictures look a lot like what I had aboard the ship, but the meat
> they served was a bit more purple in color. I guess they also trimmed
> off the rind, obviously. Looking at the second picture, what are you
> supposed to do with the horizontal strip that is seen inside the piece?
> Do you cut it out after slicing, or go ahead and serve it. The Bresaola
> we had aboard the ship was uniform in color and texture, with virtually
> no visible fat.

What you're seeing in the pics is right after it was initially "done",
quote unquote, IOW right out of the drying box. What's cool about dried
meat products is that you can eat some and continue to age the rest.
It darkens in color and the texture and flavor continue to improve over
time. When you get to the end toss it in your stock pot for some great
added flavor. Nothing goes to waste.

The seam in the middle is where I trimmed out the connective tissue
that runs through this particular cut, ball tip to be exact. You'd have
to trim that out before serving anyway so I prefer to do it during
the prep stage. Some powdered gelatin in the seam area makes it hold
together. No muss no fuss when you run it through the slicer.

As far as fat, I learned that I like marbled cuts much, much better.
The cured fat really makes the dish. Think prosciutto.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

This has been established as a topic not suited to this group from the very
beginning by the way. Just thought I'd point that out...

"While not a BBQ item, it's like Prosciutto Ham..."

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 06:55:32 -0700, RegForte wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:03:18 -0700, RegForte wrote:
>>
>>><http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/bresaola.pdf>

>> I'm always a little hesitant when the picture doesn't match the
>> recipe.

> I got yer pictures right here, buddy
>
> http://robosurf.net/tmp/DSCN0518-copy.jpg
> http://robosurf.net/tmp/DSCN0524-copy.jpg

Shit Negro, that's all you had to say!

Very nice. I just wish I had a safe, consistent place to dry cure.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry wrote:

> This has been established as a topic not suited to this group from the
> very beginning by the way. Just thought I'd point that out...
>
> "While not a BBQ item, it's like Prosciutto Ham..."

Not true. Sausage making and charcuterie is a long discussed topic
in this group.

You're welcome.

"Brisket makes a great stir fry!"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:28:15 GMT, ViLco wrote:

> OK, now I understand. But I still don't see nothing wrong here, that recipe
> tells to mix the spice rub and rub it onto the meat chunks, and in the
> picture you see a cured meat chunk. Which difference are you pointing at?

The item in the picture was made with beef tenderloin (I'd give 10
to 1 odds) and has been rubbed with a mold. Neither of which were
mentioned in the recipe.

It always cracks me up when I see pictures in half-assed cooking
magazines that are not what the finished dish would look like
according to the published recipe. Pet peeve of mine.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:31:00 GMT, ViLco wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>>> She didn't posta recipe, just a description of what you've seen in
>>> that picture.

>> I think you must be high. That link was not posted by "her" ("Reg"
>> stands for "Regular Guy") and it does include a recipe and picture.

> BTW, the link to the picture and recipe has been posted by Nonny, not
> regforte.
> Leave those beers alone

BTW: I'm pretty sure nonny is a guy as well.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> I think you must be high. That link was not posted by "her"
>>> ("Reg"
>>> stands for "Regular Guy") and it does include a recipe and
>>> picture.

>> BTW, the link to the picture and recipe has been posted by
>> Nonny, not
>> regforte.
>> Leave those beers alone

> BTW: I'm pretty sure nonny is a guy as well.
>
> -sw

Yup, and a grandfather, married 42 years to the same bride and
been doing 'Q since high school. I introduced this subject to the
NG simply because the Bresola/Bresaola was something I'd never
encountered before and was darned good. I knew that curing meats
was something toward the edge of OT/ not OT, but thought it might
be of interest to some. The URL I cited was intended more for the
picture than my suggestion about what to do making it.
Personally, I've only made corned beef and when you see comments
about well ventilated, cool places, you can forget about my
present home in Las Vegas. . . unless Bellagio would let me hang a
couple in the casino to air cure. <grin>

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I'm never making barbecue Bresola, I'll tell you that right now! Have fun
with that, though.

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Harry wrote:
>
>> This has been established as a topic not suited to this group from the
>> very beginning by the way. Just thought I'd point that out...
>>
>> "While not a BBQ item, it's like Prosciutto Ham..."

> Not true. Sausage making and charcuterie is a long discussed topic
> in this group.
>
> You're welcome.
>
> "Brisket makes a great stir fry!"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ViLco" > wrote:
> Nonny wrote:
>
> > We were on a cruise and for the first time I encountered Bresola.
> > While not a BBQ item, it's like Prosciutto Ham, and is something
> > that also has a place on a table. Essentially, it's an air cured
> > beef version of prosciutto, served paper thin and eaten either
> > around something like a breadstick, cheese spread, melon slice or
> > even for more flavoring on a sandwich. Here's a URL I found about
> > making it.

> The correct name is "bresaola", if you call it "bresola" you make people
> get confused with "braciola", as happened to Nick.
> I too like breasola a lot, expecially in summer, with some capricciosa
> salad (maionnayse with some julienned pickled veggies) and light bread.

I wasn't confused, Villi. I knew he meant carpacchio d'bresaola. But the
name did remind me of brazzul.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ViLco" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>
> > Total Time: 90 minutes
> >
> > Mangia! Mangia!

> Very nice looking recipe, Nick, maybe one of these days...

Thanks, Villi. It's really good. Post pics . . . one of these days. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:48:01 -0500, Sqwertz
> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:28:15 GMT, ViLco wrote:
>
>> OK, now I understand. But I still don't see nothing wrong here, that recipe
>> tells to mix the spice rub and rub it onto the meat chunks, and in the
>> picture you see a cured meat chunk. Which difference are you pointing at?

>The item in the picture was made with beef tenderloin (I'd give 10
>to 1 odds) and has been rubbed with a mold. Neither of which were
>mentioned in the recipe.
>
>It always cracks me up when I see pictures in half-assed cooking
>magazines that are not what the finished dish would look like
>according to the published recipe. Pet peeve of mine.
>
>-sw

Ain't that the truth. Lots of the pictures even show 1 or more major
ingredient not even mentioned in the recipe. Those paper-mache
mock-ups are a PITA.

Ross.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:36:08 -0700, RegForte wrote:

> Harry wrote:
>
>> This has been established as a topic not suited to this group from the
>> very beginning by the way. Just thought I'd point that out...
>>
>> "While not a BBQ item, it's like Prosciutto Ham..."

> Not true. Sausage making and charcuterie is a long discussed topic
> in this group.

I've long advocated that this group as being the place to talk about
animal and seafood flesh prepared in all forms - smoked, cured, raw.
Grilled, gas, wood, charcoal, lump, lava, WTF. And even vegetable
posts are acceptable (using Kent and ?evin as examples).

A lot of us old-timers are burned out on talking about BBQ (face
it), and I'm looking forward to taking my meat to the next level.

That's why I, along with 1,200,000 other men, use Extendz caplets
Once a Day to give me the confidence I need to post to AFB!

> "Brisket makes a great stir fry!"

I almost snipped that gem. Heh.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25 Aug 2009 21:10:09 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:

> I wasn't confused, Villi. I knew he meant carpacchio d'bresaola. But the
> name did remind me of brazzul.

Brazzul? We stopped by there on in the 70's on our way to Nicaragua
to see the Samosa guy. Turns out he didn't make Samosas after all.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> I've long advocated that this group as being the place to talk about
> animal and seafood flesh prepared in all forms - smoked, cured, raw.
> Grilled, gas, wood, charcoal, lump, lava, WTF. And even vegetable
> posts are acceptable (using Kent and ?evin as examples).
>
> A lot of us old-timers are burned out on talking about BBQ (face
> it), and I'm looking forward to taking my meat to the next level.

Plus cold smoking, etc. Plus people have been posting sides,
libations, etc, since the beginning. Anything under the umbrella
of "Outdoor Cooking".

How about an afb Drink of the Week contest?

I might start posting pics again. I pretty much gave up on
abf because it seemed like the future of binary usenet groups was
in doubt. At this point I think it's beyond any doubt, so I suppose
I'll just post links.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:33:25 -0700, RegForte wrote:

> I might start posting pics again. I pretty much gave up on
> abf because it seemed like the future of binary usenet groups was
> in doubt. At this point I think it's beyond any doubt, so I suppose
> I'll just post links.

I paid $10 for some ridiculous amount of Usenet bandwidth that I'll
never use at my current rate. You are welcome to use my account if
you have no other access to ABF. And that goes for most of the
other old-timers here. They allow me 50 concurrent connections from
as many IP's as I like. Email me.

Lets check my balance...

Quota:

Total: 30.0000 GB
Used: 0.1435 GB
Left: 29.8565 GB

That's how much I've used in 2 months of reading only text groups
and ABF. So at this rate I'll have Usenet access for the next 69.66
years. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna die with all this precious
bandwidth still left in my account.

ObFood: Buy 2 pounds of Ball Park Beef Grillmaster Hot dogs for $5
(for both) and I got a 2-ltr bottle of Pepsi, a big bag of Fritos, a
can of Hormel Chili no beans, and 6-raspberry puree popsicles - all
for a mere $5. Even at $2.50 a pound for beef dogs that's a deal in
itself. Then they throw in another $7 worth of stuff for free.

I love my grocery store.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26 Aug 2009 05:51:25 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On 25 Aug 2009 21:10:09 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:
>>
>> > I wasn't confused, Villi. I knew he meant carpacchio d'bresaola. But
>> > the name did remind me of brazzul.

>> Brazzul? We stopped by there on in the 70's on our way to Nicaragua
>> to see the Samosa guy. Turns out he didn't make Samosas after all.

>Ya know, it's funny, Steve. After I posted that, I got thinking about how I
>remembered it sounding. It was like brazjool. I'm talking the 40's.

Well, pasta i fagioli was nicknamed 'pasta fazool', Nick!

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26-Aug-2009, RegForte > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > I've long advocated that this group as being the place to talk about
> > animal and seafood flesh prepared in all forms - smoked, cured, raw.
> > Grilled, gas, wood, charcoal, lump, lava, WTF. And even vegetable
> > posts are acceptable (using Kent and ?evin as examples).
> >
> > A lot of us old-timers are burned out on talking about BBQ (face
> > it), and I'm looking forward to taking my meat to the next level.

> Plus cold smoking, etc. Plus people have been posting sides,
> libations, etc, since the beginning. Anything under the umbrella
> of "Outdoor Cooking".
>
> How about an afb Drink of the Week contest?
>
> I might start posting pics again. I pretty much gave up on
> abf because it seemed like the future of binary usenet groups was
> in doubt. At this point I think it's beyond any doubt, so I suppose
> I'll just post links.

ABF is alive and well and is still getting a lot of posts. I haven't
counted, but 75 to 100/day looks about right. Lots of pictures
as well.

--
Brick said that.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26-Aug-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:33:25 -0700, RegForte wrote:
>
> > I might start posting pics again. I pretty much gave up on
> > abf because it seemed like the future of binary usenet groups was
> > in doubt. At this point I think it's beyond any doubt, so I suppose
> > I'll just post links.

> I paid $10 for some ridiculous amount of Usenet bandwidth that I'll
> never use at my current rate. You are welcome to use my account if
> you have no other access to ABF. And that goes for most of the
> other old-timers here. They allow me 50 concurrent connections from
> as many IP's as I like. Email me.
>
> Lets check my balance...
>
> Quota:
>
> Total: 30.0000 GB
> Used: 0.1435 GB
> Left: 29.8565 GB
>
> That's how much I've used in 2 months of reading only text groups
> and ABF. So at this rate I'll have Usenet access for the next 69.66
> years. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna die with all this precious
> bandwidth still left in my account.
>
> ObFood: Buy 2 pounds of Ball Park Beef Grillmaster Hot dogs for $5
> (for both) and I got a 2-ltr bottle of Pepsi, a big bag of Fritos, a
> can of Hormel Chili no beans, and 6-raspberry puree popsicles - all
> for a mere $5. Even at $2.50 a pound for beef dogs that's a deal in
> itself. Then they throw in another $7 worth of stuff for free.
>
> I love my grocery store.
>
> -sw

Geez Sqwertz, they're paying you to shop there.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> >Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> Brazzul? We stopped by there on in the 70's on our way to Nicaragua
> >> to see the Samosa guy. Turns out he didn't make Samosas after all.

> >Ya know, it's funny, Steve. After I posted that, I got thinking about
> >how I remembered it sounding. It was like brazjool. I'm talking the
> >40's.

> Well, pasta i fagioli was nicknamed 'pasta fazool', Nick!

Duh! Sichy's rule!!! You Siciliana or Calabresa?

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27 Aug 2009 02:49:51 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Desideria > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer > wrote:

>> >Ya know, it's funny, Steve. After I posted that, I got thinking about
>> >how I remembered it sounding. It was like brazjool. I'm talking the
>> >40's.

>> Well, pasta i fagioli was nicknamed 'pasta fazool', Nick!

>Duh! Sichy's rule!!! You Siciliana or Calabresa?

Maybe Calabresa, as we're from the 'arch' of the boot, roughly.

But I speak northern Italian 'cuz I learned it in college and that's
what il professore spoke.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> >Desideria > wrote:

> >> Well, pasta i fagioli was nicknamed 'pasta fazool', Nick!

> >Duh! Sichy's rule!!! You Siciliana or Calabresa?

> Maybe Calabresa, as we're from the 'arch' of the boot, roughly.
>
> But I speak northern Italian 'cuz I learned it in college and that's
> what il professore spoke.

My youngest natural daughter took Italian in school, then worked in a
Sicilian restaurant in Santa Monica, so she could speak the dialect when
she went to visit our family in Giardini-Naxos.

Have you checked out it.hobby.cucina? A lot of northerners there. Stefano
and Capsicum (Fulvio) are great! So is VilCo (Villi)!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061