Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Bresola

On 27 Aug 2009 03:38:00 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Desideria > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer > wrote:

>> >Duh! Sichy's rule!!! You Siciliana or Calabresa?

>> Maybe Calabresa, as we're from the 'arch' of the boot, roughly.
>>
>> But I speak northern Italian 'cuz I learned it in college and that's
>> what il professore spoke.

>My youngest natural daughter took Italian in school, then worked in a
>Sicilian restaurant in Santa Monica, so she could speak the dialect when
>she went to visit our family in Giardini-Naxos.
>
>Have you checked out it.hobby.cucina? A lot of northerners there. Stefano
>and Capsicum (Fulvio) are great! So is VilCo (Villi)!

Grazie. Is it all in Italian? I don't really remember all that much;
just enough to embarrass myself.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> ObFood: Buy 2 pounds of Ball Park Beef Grillmaster Hot dogs for $5
> (for both) and I got a 2-ltr bottle of Pepsi, a big bag of Fritos, a
> can of Hormel Chili no beans, and 6-raspberry puree popsicles - all
> for a mere $5. Even at $2.50 a pound for beef dogs that's a deal in
> itself. Then they throw in another $7 worth of stuff for free.
>
> I love my grocery store.

Howard E. Butt?

(I can't help it. Great place, butt that name cracks me up!)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> >Have you checked out it.hobby.cucina? A lot of northerners there.
> >Stefano and Capsicum (Fulvio) are great! So is VilCo (Villi)!

> Grazie. Is it all in Italian? I don't really remember all that much;
> just enough to embarrass myself.

Prego! Except for me, tutti Italiano. Villi has translated some of my
recipes. Post! Don't be embarrassed. Tell them Nick Cristofalo sent you!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27 Aug 2009 02:37:09 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:

> My daughter buys chicken or turkey 'hot dogs'. I won't eat them.

Even the default "Ball Park Franks" now have more chicken than beef
or pork. Gradually they've been changing the formulation over the
years and just about 3 months ago they went over to the Dark Side.

All Beef, or Beef and Pork Only. **** that mechanically separated
shit.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:55:29 -0700, RegForte wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> I love my grocery store.

> Howard E. Butt?
>
> (I can't help it. Great place, butt that name cracks me up!)

And still privately owned after all these years. Hopefully it will
stay that way.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Aug-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On 27 Aug 2009 02:37:09 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:
>
> > My daughter buys chicken or turkey 'hot dogs'. I won't eat them.

> Even the default "Ball Park Franks" now have more chicken than beef
> or pork. Gradually they've been changing the formulation over the
> years and just about 3 months ago they went over to the Dark Side.
>
> All Beef, or Beef and Pork Only. **** that mechanically separated
> shit.
>
> -sw

I could use some recommendations for decent franks if anyone cares
to be so politically incorrect as to offer suggestions. I have to have a
minder for Nathalie anytime I'm out of the house for more then half
an hour or so. I just don't have the time to linger in the aisles reading
labels. I have a couple of packs of Ball Park franks on hand that have
no beef at all. and I have some Oscar Meyer that contain beef and
a bunch of ingredients I cannot pronounce. TIA
--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 27, 7:20*am, "Brick" > wrote:
> I could use some recommendations for decent franks if anyone cares
> to be so politically incorrect as to offer suggestions. I have to have a
> minder for Nathalie anytime I'm out of the house for more then half
> an hour or so. I just don't have the time to linger in the aisles reading
> labels. I have a couple of packs of Ball Park franks on hand that have
> no beef at all. and I have some Oscar Meyer that contain beef and

I like a mix of pork and beef - all beef hotdogs do not taste good to
me, and I definatelly don't like all or mostly chicken/turkey hotdogs.
My favorites are Koegel's natural casing viennas (I'd call them hot
dogs) http://www.koegelmeats.com/. They make a skinless variety too,
but it just isn't the same to me. Most other brands of hotdogs I've
been disappointed with, even the Nathan's Famous ones that are so
highly spoken of. I mean, I'll eat them, but I prefer the Koegel's by
far. I usually won't eat an all-beef or all-chicken/turkey hotdog.

-Jeff
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 05:01:18 -0700 (PDT), JeffH wrote:

> I like a mix of pork and beef - all beef hotdogs do not taste good to
> me, and I definatelly don't like all or mostly chicken/turkey hotdogs.

Some brands of all-beef I don't care really for either. Ball Park
all-beef are one. But their "Grillmaster" dogs, 5 to a pound, are
pretty good.

My favorite national brand is Hebrew National. Then next would be
Boars Head in natural casings.

For local brands, Casper's would be my all-time favorite. Made my
the Spar Sausage Company. But you can't buy them outside of
Northern CA except by mail order fro $7.50/lb.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:20:16 GMT, "Brick"
> wrote:

>On 27-Aug-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On 27 Aug 2009 02:37:09 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:
>>
>> > My daughter buys chicken or turkey 'hot dogs'. I won't eat them.

>> Even the default "Ball Park Franks" now have more chicken than beef
>> or pork. Gradually they've been changing the formulation over the
>> years and just about 3 months ago they went over to the Dark Side.
>>
>> All Beef, or Beef and Pork Only. **** that mechanically separated
>> shit.
>>
>> -sw

>I could use some recommendations for decent franks if anyone cares
>to be so politically incorrect as to offer suggestions. I have to have a
>minder for Nathalie anytime I'm out of the house for more then half
>an hour or so. I just don't have the time to linger in the aisles reading
>labels. I have a couple of packs of Ball Park franks on hand that have
>no beef at all. and I have some Oscar Meyer that contain beef and
>a bunch of ingredients I cannot pronounce. TIA

Denny's really fond of Hebrew National, and they're my favorite hot
dogs too.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:20:16 GMT, "Brick"
> > wrote:

>>> Even the default "Ball Park Franks" now have more chicken than beef
>>> or pork. Gradually they've been changing the formulation over the
>>> years and just about 3 months ago they went over to the Dark Side.
>>>
>>> All Beef, or Beef and Pork Only. **** that mechanically separated
>>> shit.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I could use some recommendations for decent franks if anyone cares
>> to be so politically incorrect as to offer suggestions. I have to have a
>> minder for Nathalie anytime I'm out of the house for more then half
>> an hour or so. I just don't have the time to linger in the aisles reading
>> labels. I have a couple of packs of Ball Park franks on hand that have
>> no beef at all. and I have some Oscar Meyer that contain beef and
>> a bunch of ingredients I cannot pronounce. TIA

> Denny's really fond of Hebrew National, and they're my favorite hot
> dogs too.

Hebrew National for me, too.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

> Hebrew National for me, too.

We've tried them several times and they're one of the few
selections I've tossed out. For us, the Eckrich brand are tops,
if you are a Midwesterner and they're in your area. Some of the
ones out of Chicago are good as well.

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Try a real meat house like Dittmers some time. They make their own in house
and it is so worth the extra cost!
--
**********
Michael

"Nonny" > wrote in message

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>
>> Hebrew National for me, too.
>>

> We've tried them several times and they're one of the few selections I've
> tossed out. For us, the Eckrich brand are tops, if you are a Midwesterner
> and they're in your area. Some of the ones out of Chicago are good as
> well.
>
> --
> Nonny
>
> If elections would really change things,
> Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Michael" > wrote in message
> Try a real meat house like Dittmers some time. They make their
> own in house and it is so worth the extra cost!
> --
> **********
> Michael

We have a Whole Foods Market just a couple blocks from our house,
and they have quite a selection of in-house sausages. We've never
tried them; have you tried them and what is your impression?

Nonny

> "Nonny" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Hebrew National for me, too.
>>>

>> We've tried them several times and they're one of the few
>> selections I've tossed out. For us, the Eckrich brand are
>> tops, if you are a Midwesterner and they're in your area. Some
>> of the ones out of Chicago are good as well.
>>
>> --
>> Nonny
>>
>> If elections would really change things,
>> Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

--
Nonny

If elections would really change things,
Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Aug-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 05:01:18 -0700 (PDT), JeffH wrote:
>
> > I like a mix of pork and beef - all beef hotdogs do not taste good to
> > me, and I definatelly don't like all or mostly chicken/turkey hotdogs.

> Some brands of all-beef I don't care really for either. Ball Park
> all-beef are one. But their "Grillmaster" dogs, 5 to a pound, are
> pretty good.
>
> My favorite national brand is Hebrew National. Then next would be
> Boars Head in natural casings.
>
> For local brands, Casper's would be my all-time favorite. Made my
> the Spar Sausage Company. But you can't buy them outside of
> Northern CA except by mail order fro $7.50/lb.
>
> -sw

Thanks to everybody for your recommendations. In addition to the
local stores, I have access to the commissary at MacDill AFB which
like all military commissaries stocks variety far beyond that found in
local stores. Sometimes it's even cheaper, but I can't count on it. I'm
pretty sure that all of the brands represented in this thread are
available.
We'll see. I sure do enjoy a good hotdog. I've been working on a
chili mix specifically for hotdogs. I just need the appropriate dog and
bun to go with it. (I haven't finalized my chili recipe yet, so don't ask)

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Whole Foods is great, but I get way too tempted by everything else in the
store... The thing with Dittmers is that it is meat only, so I get in and
get out. Whole Foods is great, though if it is a couple blocks away! Lucky.
--
**********
Michael

"Nonny" > wrote in message

> "Michael" > wrote in message
>> Try a real meat house like Dittmers some time. They make their own in
>> house and it is so worth the extra cost!
>> --
>> **********
>> Michael

> We have a Whole Foods Market just a couple blocks from our house, and they
> have quite a selection of in-house sausages. We've never tried them; have
> you tried them and what is your impression?
>
> Nonny

>>> We've tried them several times and they're one of the few selections
>>> I've tossed out. For us, the Eckrich brand are tops, if you are a
>>> Midwesterner and they're in your area. Some of the ones out of Chicago
>>> are good as well.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nonny
>>>
>>> If elections would really change things,
>>> Congress would immediately make voting illegal.
>>>

> --
> Nonny
>
> If elections would really change things,
> Congress would immediately make voting illegal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Nonny wrote:
>
>> We were on a cruise and for the first time I encountered Bresola. While
>> not a BBQ item, it's like Prosciutto Ham, and is something that also has
>> a place on a table. Essentially, it's an air cured beef version of
>> prosciutto, served paper thin and eaten either around something like a
>> breadstick, cheese spread, melon slice or even for more flavoring on a
>> sandwich. Here's a URL I found about making it.
>>
>> http://www.wellhungmeat.com/recipes/Bresola.php
>>
>> The stuff we had on the cruise was imported from Italy, and used South
>> American beef to get around the mad cow fear. It is dark mahogany in
>> color, not as dry as you'd think, and the flavor is incredible.
>>

> Breseola is a favorite. I make it several times a year.
>
> I'd stay clear of the recipe you posted for a few reasons. It doesn't
> use a nitrate cure, which I'd strongly recommend for safety reasons.
> Dry curing involves uncooked meat that will subsequently be held
> unrefrigerated. Also, the recipe does not in any way describe the
> proper parameters for dry curing the meat. Humidity, etc. This
> is just as critical.
>
> In general, you should steer clear of one-off recipes
> for dry cured products that you find in a random web search.
> This is an area where it's very important that the information
> comes from an established authority on the subject. Beware of
> "gramma used to make it this way" dry cure recipes.
>
> This is a solid breseola recipe that I'd recommend. Plus the
> whole site is great. It goes into depth about the general
> rules for dry curing meat.
>
> <http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/bresaola.pdf>
>
> You would also do best to get the broad background information
> first, then try some recipes. The Kutas book has some rudimentary
> information on the subject, but I would recommend adding to that
> knowledge by reading a more up-to-date book. Here's one of the best:
>
> Cooking by Hand
> http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Hand-P.../dp/0609608932

Wow! I hadn't thought of Paul Bertolli since he left Oliveto's Restaurant in
Oakland. He was formerly a chef at Chez Panisse In Berkeley. We've met him
at tableside a couple of times. He's a very heavy duty fellow. He's also the
primary author of "Chez Panisse Cooking"
http://www.amazon.com/Chez-Panisse-C...1674891&sr=1-2
We have that. It's an excellent book.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:

> "RegForte" > wrote in message
>
>>Cooking by Hand
>>http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Hand-P.../dp/0609608932
>>

> Wow! I hadn't thought of Paul Bertolli since he left Oliveto's Restaurant in
> Oakland. He was formerly a chef at Chez Panisse In Berkeley. We've met him
> at tableside a couple of times. He's a very heavy duty fellow. He's also the
> primary author of "Chez Panisse Cooking"
> http://www.amazon.com/Chez-Panisse-C...1674891&sr=1-2
> We have that. It's an excellent book.

Simply put, Bertoli is one of the best educated and most capable
cooks alive. Notice I didn't say chef because I don't have much
interest in how well someone runs a pro kitchen, just in what
they know and can convey on the subject of food.

I think you'd really like "Cooking by Hand". Bertoli is
the only author that has ever published an authentic Prosciutto
recipe that I could easily successfully reproduce.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte wrote:

>> BTW, the link to the picture and recipe has been posted by Nonny, not
>> regforte.
>> Leave those beers alone

> Incorrecto, Senore Italiano ... Please reread.

I was talking about the link from Nonny, not yours.

> And learn to Trust The Sqwertz.

LOL
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ViLco wrote:

> RegForte wrote:
>

>>>BTW, the link to the picture and recipe has been posted by Nonny, not
>>>regforte.
>>>Leave those beers alone

>>Incorrecto, Senore Italiano ... Please reread.

> I was talking about the link from Nonny, not yours.
>

>>And learn to Trust The Sqwertz.

> LOL

Nonny's link didn't have a pic... I think that's what was causing the
confusion. No matter. Glad too see you in afb.

Any q this weekend?

The 11 lb brisket turned out so-so. Didn't adjust the airflow
properly so not enough crispies on the outside for my taste.

The meat turned out great though. It fed 15 easily.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte wrote:

>>> Incorrecto, Senore Italiano ... Please reread.

>> I was talking about the link from Nonny, not yours.

>>> And learn to Trust The Sqwertz.

>> LOL

> Nonny's link didn't have a pic... I think that's what was causing the
> confusion. No matter.

Ah, that's why, I believed I was seeing nonny's posted link.

> Glad too see you in afb.

Thanks

> Any q this weekend?

Very probably: this saturday some of my family will be grilling in a country
place of my uncle. Pork and some beef.