Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Leftover grilled Pork Tri Tip

Any thoughts about making a "pork sloppy joe sandwich" with leftover grilled
pork?
I'm going to try the following:
a.. 1 lb leftover pork tritip roast, sliced thin and cut into small pieces
b.. salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
c.. 1/2 onion, diced
d.. 2 cloves garlic, chopped
e.. 1/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed with the flat of a knife
f.. 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
g.. 1/2 tsp dried oregano
h.. 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
i.. 1/2 cups chicken stock
j.. 3/4 cups tomato sauce
Brown pork pieces and cook in the oil. Add the onions and garlic; cook for
3 minutes, and then add the tomato sauce and other seasonings. Simmer, for
about 1 hour, or until the pork is very tender. Taste for salt and pepper,
and serve hot on the hamburger bun with a slice of raw onion.

Whadya think? Thoughts will be appreciated.

Ed, constantly learning to live with senescent ignorance,

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:

> Any thoughts about making a "pork sloppy joe sandwich" with leftover grilled
> pork?
> I'm going to try the following:
> a.. 1 lb leftover pork tritip roast, sliced thin and cut into small pieces
> b.. salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
> c.. 1/2 onion, diced
> d.. 2 cloves garlic, chopped
> e.. 1/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed with the flat of a knife
> f.. 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
> g.. 1/2 tsp dried oregano
> h.. 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
> i.. 1/2 cups chicken stock
> j.. 3/4 cups tomato sauce
> Brown pork pieces and cook in the oil. Add the onions and garlic; cook for
> 3 minutes, and then add the tomato sauce and other seasonings. Simmer, for
> about 1 hour, or until the pork is very tender. Taste for salt and pepper,
> and serve hot on the hamburger bun with a slice of raw onion.
>
> Whadya think? Thoughts will be appreciated.
>
> Ed, constantly learning to live with senescent ignorance,

Pork tri-tip? New to me ... is this cushion?

Reg - constantly learning also
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Theron wrote:
>
>> Any thoughts about making a "pork sloppy joe sandwich" with leftover
>> grilled pork?
>> I'm going to try the following:
>> a.. 1 lb leftover pork tritip roast, sliced thin and cut into small
>> pieces
>> b.. salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
>> c.. 1/2 onion, diced
>> d.. 2 cloves garlic, chopped
>> e.. 1/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed with the flat of a knife
>> f.. 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
>> g.. 1/2 tsp dried oregano
>> h.. 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
>> i.. 1/2 cups chicken stock
>> j.. 3/4 cups tomato sauce
>> Brown pork pieces and cook in the oil. Add the onions and garlic; cook
>> for 3 minutes, and then add the tomato sauce and other seasonings.
>> Simmer, for about 1 hour, or until the pork is very tender. Taste for
>> salt and pepper, and serve hot on the hamburger bun with a slice of raw
>> onion.
>>
>> Whadya think? Thoughts will be appreciated.
>>
>> Ed, constantly learning to live with senescent ignorance,

> Pork tri-tip? New to me ... is this cushion?
>
> Reg - constantly learning also

I've assumed that the pork tri-tip is similar to the beef tri-tip, a muscle
at the lower end of the sirloin that used to be ground up as hamburger. I
think this is somewhat of a California term, like Chateaubriand[in the
sirloin rather than the tenderloin], though Google doesn't suggest that.
They're very frequently sold marinated at Lunardis. They're excellent on the
grill slow roasted to about 135F. More than that dries the meat out. They
tend to be well priced. Here's the Lunardis ad for this week, though it's
beef, not pork. http://lunardis.com/html/weeklyads/zoom/page4.html

Ed,

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:

> "RegForte" > wrote in message
>>
>>Pork tri-tip? New to me ... is this cushion?
>>
>>Reg - constantly learning also
>>

> I've assumed that the pork tri-tip is similar to the beef tri-tip, a muscle
> at the lower end of the sirloin that used to be ground up as hamburger. I
> think this is somewhat of a California term, like Chateaubriand[in the
> sirloin rather than the tenderloin], though Google doesn't suggest that.
> They're very frequently sold marinated at Lunardis. They're excellent on the
> grill slow roasted to about 135F. More than that dries the meat out. They
> tend to be well priced. Here's the Lunardis ad for this week, though it's
> beef, not pork. http://lunardis.com/html/weeklyads/zoom/page4.html

Ed,

I am familiar with tri-tip. It's a specific muscle from Mr. Cow called the
tensor fasciae latae. It has that well defined triangular shape because
it consists of one single, discrete muscle, one which I'm pretty sure pigs
don't actually have, so I couldn't help but ask.

Then I guess pork tri-tip is some new piece of industry marketing speak? Maybe
not new but it's the first I've heard it.

Any comments on what it looked like shapewise before cooking? Anything
identifiable?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Aug-2009, "Theron" > wrote:

> Any thoughts about making a "pork sloppy joe sandwich" with leftover
> grilled
> pork?
> I'm going to try the following:
> a.. 1 lb leftover pork tritip roast, sliced thin and cut into small
> pieces
> b.. salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
> c.. 1/2 onion, diced
> d.. 2 cloves garlic, chopped
> e.. 1/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed with the flat of a knife
> f.. 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
> g.. 1/2 tsp dried oregano
> h.. 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
> i.. 1/2 cups chicken stock
> j.. 3/4 cups tomato sauce
> Brown pork pieces and cook in the oil. Add the onions and garlic; cook
> for
> 3 minutes, and then add the tomato sauce and other seasonings. Simmer,
> for
> about 1 hour, or until the pork is very tender. Taste for salt and
> pepper,
> and serve hot on the hamburger bun with a slice of raw onion.
>
> Whadya think? Thoughts will be appreciated.
>
> Ed, constantly learning to live with senescent ignorance,

That's about what I'd do Ed. In fact I just made something similar
with flap met from the back of spare ribs. I used diced onion, diced
cubanella, minced garlic, S & P, tomato paste, chicken stock and
probably some cajun seasoning. Not sure about the Cajun. It's
nothing to write home about, but it stops the stomach from growling.
I get a lot of mileage out of leftover meat. I used the last of the recent
mix in a fritatta for lunch today.

I had egg white leftover from 8 eggs I made ice cream with. I added
some turmeric to kill the sickly white color and used it to make the
fritatta. Nathalie ate a platefull and that's a sign it wasn't too bad.
--
Brick said that.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 23, 1:33*pm, RegForte > wrote:
> Theron wrote:
> > "RegForte" > wrote in message

> Then I guess pork tri-tip is some new piece of industry marketing speak? Maybe
> not new but it's the first I've heard it.

It's Kent you're talking to, pretty sure he's imagining it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Theron wrote:
>
>> "RegForte" > wrote in message
>>>
>>>Pork tri-tip? New to me ... is this cushion?
>>>
>>>Reg - constantly learning also
>>>

>> I've assumed that the pork tri-tip is similar to the beef tri-tip, a
>> muscle at the lower end of the sirloin that used to be ground up as
>> hamburger. I think this is somewhat of a California term, like
>> Chateaubriand[in the sirloin rather than the tenderloin], though Google
>> doesn't suggest that. They're very frequently sold marinated at Lunardis.
>> They're excellent on the grill slow roasted to about 135F. More than that
>> dries the meat out. They tend to be well priced. Here's the Lunardis ad
>> for this week, though it's beef, not pork.
>> http://lunardis.com/html/weeklyads/zoom/page4.html
>>

> Ed,
>
> I am familiar with tri-tip. It's a specific muscle from Mr. Cow called the
> tensor fasciae latae. It has that well defined triangular shape because
> it consists of one single, discrete muscle, one which I'm pretty sure pigs
> don't actually have, so I couldn't help but ask.
>
> Then I guess pork tri-tip is some new piece of industry marketing speak?
> Maybe
> not new but it's the first I've heard it.
>
> Any comments on what it looked like shapewise before cooking? Anything
> identifiable?

The pork tri-tip looks very much like the beef tri-tip except it's smaller,
as you'd expect. It comes from the loin.. I just spoke with a butcher at
Lunardi's.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:27:22 -0700, Theron wrote:

> Any thoughts about making a "pork sloppy joe sandwich" with leftover grilled
> pork?
> I'm going to try the following:
> a.. 1 lb leftover pork tritip roast, sliced thin and cut into small pieces
> b.. salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
> c.. 1/2 onion, diced
> d.. 2 cloves garlic, chopped
> e.. 1/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed with the flat of a knife
> f.. 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
> g.. 1/2 tsp dried oregano
> h.. 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
> i.. 1/2 cups chicken stock
> j.. 3/4 cups tomato sauce

Doesn't look anything like a Sloppy Joe. More like pork stew.

And there's no such thing as pork tri-tip. That's just a marketing
term. What you have has been called "boneless pork sirloin" for the
last 100+ years. They look like breast implants. Not tri-tips
(unless your butcher is cutting them to make them look like tri-tips
which would be bad news).

-sw

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:32:23 -0700, RegForte wrote:

> Theron wrote:
>
>> Any thoughts about making a "pork sloppy joe sandwich" with leftover grilled
>> pork?
>> I'm going to try the following:
>> a.. 1 lb leftover pork tritip roast, sliced thin and cut into small pieces
>> b.. salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
>> c.. 1/2 onion, diced
>> d.. 2 cloves garlic, chopped
>> e.. 1/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed with the flat of a knife
>> f.. 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
>> g.. 1/2 tsp dried oregano
>> h.. 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
>> i.. 1/2 cups chicken stock
>> j.. 3/4 cups tomato sauce
>> Brown pork pieces and cook in the oil. Add the onions and garlic; cook for
>> 3 minutes, and then add the tomato sauce and other seasonings. Simmer, for
>> about 1 hour, or until the pork is very tender. Taste for salt and pepper,
>> and serve hot on the hamburger bun with a slice of raw onion.
>>
>> Whadya think? Thoughts will be appreciated.
>>
>> Ed, constantly learning to live with senescent ignorance,
>>

> Pork tri-tip? New to me ... is this cushion?

Looks like cushion, but bigger. It's those boneless pork sirloins:
a bunch of white meat over that small portion of dark meat. Usually
sold as boneless pork sirloin chops. Very lean and needs brined.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:16:54 -0700, Theron wrote:

> The pork tri-tip looks very much like the beef tri-tip except it's smaller,
> as you'd expect. It comes from the loin.. I just spoke with a butcher at
> Lunardi's.

Your butcher isn't any smarter than the average customer.

It's a pork sirloin, NOT loin.

http://www.csumeats.com/images/Pork-Sirloin-Roast.jpg

At least that's what I've seen. CostCo has changed the labels on
their pork sirloins to say "pork sirloin tri-tip", but it's the same
damn thing they've been selling for 4+ years (and the only meat I've
seen them sell that's pre-brined).

=sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 23, 4:44*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

Speaking of REAL tri-tips, Friday when I was getting the 4 briskets at
the San Mateo Smart and Final I noticed a very large cryovac that I
thought was a likely brisket, nope, it was a tri-tip. This package
must of run about @20 (or more) pounds it was so big. Probably 4 or 5
tips packed together? Meant to double check but had to go to the meat
locker for my meat and didn't make it back that way.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:25:43 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:

> On Aug 23, 4:44*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> Speaking of REAL tri-tips, Friday when I was getting the 4 briskets at
> the San Mateo Smart and Final I noticed a very large cryovac that I
> thought was a likely brisket, nope, it was a tri-tip. This package
> must of run about @20 (or more) pounds it was so big. Probably 4 or 5
> tips packed together? Meant to double check but had to go to the meat
> locker for my meat and didn't make it back that way.

That's how my CostCo sells them. They're $2.99/lb whole in those
25-28lb bags (about 8-10 semi-trimmed tips), $4.99/lb sold in
twin-packs, or $5.49/lb sliced as coulette steaks.

It's kinda hard justifying buying two measly tri-tips when for a
mere $60 more you could pay 40% less!

There *is* some logic in there... somewhere.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i love you found something to do with the whites, i hate wasting food... now
against my better judgement, what kind of ice cream and what recipe... Lee,
thinking of eight of her sister's fresh eggs in ice cream.

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 23-Aug-2009, "Theron" > wrote:
>
>> Any thoughts about making a "pork sloppy joe sandwich" with leftover
>> grilled
>> pork?
>> I'm going to try the following:
>> a.. 1 lb leftover pork tritip roast, sliced thin and cut into small
>> pieces
>> b.. salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
>> c.. 1/2 onion, diced
>> d.. 2 cloves garlic, chopped
>> e.. 1/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed with the flat of a knife
>> f.. 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
>> g.. 1/2 tsp dried oregano
>> h.. 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
>> i.. 1/2 cups chicken stock
>> j.. 3/4 cups tomato sauce
>> Brown pork pieces and cook in the oil. Add the onions and garlic; cook
>> for
>> 3 minutes, and then add the tomato sauce and other seasonings. Simmer,
>> for
>> about 1 hour, or until the pork is very tender. Taste for salt and
>> pepper,
>> and serve hot on the hamburger bun with a slice of raw onion.
>>
>> Whadya think? Thoughts will be appreciated.
>>
>> Ed, constantly learning to live with senescent ignorance,

> That's about what I'd do Ed. In fact I just made something similar
> with flap met from the back of spare ribs. I used diced onion, diced
> cubanella, minced garlic, S & P, tomato paste, chicken stock and
> probably some cajun seasoning. Not sure about the Cajun. It's
> nothing to write home about, but it stops the stomach from growling.
> I get a lot of mileage out of leftover meat. I used the last of the recent
> mix in a fritatta for lunch today.
>
> I had egg white leftover from 8 eggs I made ice cream with. I added
> some turmeric to kill the sickly white color and used it to make the
> fritatta. Nathalie ate a platefull and that's a sign it wasn't too bad.
> --
> Brick said that.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i often do this with left ove meat. but i usually use chopped or diced
tomatoes with the juice instead of the chicken stock and sauce... Lee
thinking it sounds good for a lunch

"Theron" > wrote in message
> Any thoughts about making a "pork sloppy joe sandwich" with leftover
> grilled pork?
> I'm going to try the following:
> a.. 1 lb leftover pork tritip roast, sliced thin and cut into small
> pieces
> b.. salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
> c.. 1/2 onion, diced
> d.. 2 cloves garlic, chopped
> e.. 1/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed with the flat of a knife
> f.. 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
> g.. 1/2 tsp dried oregano
> h.. 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
> i.. 1/2 cups chicken stock
> j.. 3/4 cups tomato sauce
> Brown pork pieces and cook in the oil. Add the onions and garlic; cook
> for 3 minutes, and then add the tomato sauce and other seasonings. Simmer,
> for about 1 hour, or until the pork is very tender. Taste for salt and
> pepper, and serve hot on the hamburger bun with a slice of raw onion.
>
> Whadya think? Thoughts will be appreciated.
>
> Ed, constantly learning to live with senescent ignorance,

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 24-Aug-2009, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ster.com...
> > On 23-Aug-2009, "Theron" > wrote:
> >
> >> Any thoughts about making a "pork sloppy joe sandwich" with leftover
> >> grilled
> >> pork?
> >> I'm going to try the following:
> >> a.. 1 lb leftover pork tritip roast, sliced thin and cut into small
> >> pieces
> >> b.. salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
> >> c.. 1/2 onion, diced
> >> d.. 2 cloves garlic, chopped
> >> e.. 1/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed with the flat of a knife
> >> f.. 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
> >> g.. 1/2 tsp dried oregano
> >> h.. 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
> >> i.. 1/2 cups chicken stock
> >> j.. 3/4 cups tomato sauce
> >> Brown pork pieces and cook in the oil. Add the onions and garlic;
> >> cook
> >> for
> >> 3 minutes, and then add the tomato sauce and other seasonings. Simmer,
> >> for
> >> about 1 hour, or until the pork is very tender. Taste for salt and
> >> pepper,
> >> and serve hot on the hamburger bun with a slice of raw onion.
> >>
> >> Whadya think? Thoughts will be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Ed, constantly learning to live with senescent ignorance,

> > That's about what I'd do Ed. In fact I just made something similar
> > with flap met from the back of spare ribs. I used diced onion, diced
> > cubanella, minced garlic, S & P, tomato paste, chicken stock and
> > probably some cajun seasoning. Not sure about the Cajun. It's
> > nothing to write home about, but it stops the stomach from growling.
> > I get a lot of mileage out of leftover meat. I used the last of the
> > recent
> > mix in a fritatta for lunch today.
> >
> > I had egg white leftover from 8 eggs I made ice cream with. I added
> > some turmeric to kill the sickly white color and used it to make the
> > fritatta. Nathalie ate a platefull and that's a sign it wasn't too bad.
> > --
> > Brick said that.

> i love you found something to do with the whites, i hate wasting food...
> now> against my better judgement, what kind of ice cream and what
> recipe...
> Lee, > thinking of eight of her sister's fresh eggs in ice cream.

Egg whites are nothing more or less then "Egg Beater's" which come at
an inflated price in your dairy section at the supermarket. If you don't
like the white color of raw egg white, just add a little color to them. I
used Turmeric and it worked okay.

The ice cream was French Vanilla from the Cuisenart Ice Cream Maker
booklet.

2-1/2 cups half and half
8 egg yoks
1 cup sugar
2-1/2 cups whipping cream
4 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt

I added 2 cups diced peaches that I poached in butter and brown sugar.
It makes a decent ice cream.
--
Brick said that.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks, i am not fond of ice cream in general but love peach ice cream, will
be trying the poaching to see how i like that, Lee
ster.com...