Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Brisket opinions

I've just got 4 packer cut briskets between 12-15 lbs which will have
to go 2 per level as is, uncut. might it be better to cut the flats
off and have all four of those below where they can be basted?

Also, I remember often reading fat side down, but IIRC that's
specifically for verts, not Texas side firebox cookers.

And lastly, chile powder in the rub, yaaay, or naaaaay?

TIA

Dale

Wish me luck, and thanks again Donald.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tutall wrote:

> I've just got 4 packer cut briskets between 12-15 lbs which will have
> to go 2 per level as is, uncut. might it be better to cut the flats
> off and have all four of those below where they can be basted?
>
> Also, I remember often reading fat side down, but IIRC that's
> specifically for verts, not Texas side firebox cookers.
>
> And lastly, chile powder in the rub, yaaay, or naaaaay?
>
> TIA
>
> Dale
>
> Wish me luck, and thanks again Donald.

No need to cut the briskets because you don't want
to baste or mop them. That just slows down the cook and
doesn't help the flavor much. Stick with a dry rub.

Fat side towards the heat source.

Chile powder on beef? For me it depends on the mood.
Sometimes yes, sometimes I just like plain ol S&P.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 21, 5:24*pm, RegForte > wrote:
> Tutall wrote:
> > I've just got 4 packer cut briskets between 12-15 lbs which will have
> > to go 2 per level as is, uncut. might it be better to cut the flats
> > off and have all four of those below where they can be basted?

> > Also, I remember often reading fat side down, but IIRC that's
> > specifically for verts, not Texas side firebox cookers.

> > And lastly, chile powder in the rub, yaaay, or naaaaay?

> > TIA

> > Dale

> > Wish me luck, and thanks again Donald.

> No need to cut the briskets because you don't want
> to baste or mop them.

Heck no, no mopping or fussing with anything but the fire for me. Was
thinking self basting though, with the fatty portion on top basting
the lean flat below.

> Fat side towards the heat source.

Is that perinant with a side firebox I was wondering.

> Chile powder on beef? For me it depends on the mood.

Kay, gonna lean against it and KISS with S&P and some onion or garlic
salt.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Chile powder on beef? For me it depends on the mood.

Kay, gonna lean against it and KISS with S&P and some onion or garlic
salt.

I have to agree. I am getting away from the chili powder in the smoker, let
the meat be meat.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 22, 12:28*am, Duwop > wrote:

> Gonna have a crowded cooler though, is that a problem? I'd think it's
> not, but gotta ask.

Absolutely not. Drink your way through the excess bottles or cans
until you get the correct amount left in the cooler. In my case, that
number is sometimes zero....

What's that you say? Did you mean COOKER? If so, you can still
unload your cooler while cooking.

Seriously, the only thing I have noticed with a FULL cooker that is
different from cooking a single or just a couple of pieces of meat is
the time it takes to get to smoking/cooking temp.

You can easily see this by thinking it through. A 15 lb brisket isn't
nearly as hard to get to temps as 60 lbs of cold meat. You can't see
this going by your cooker thermo, but you can if you probe thermo as
well.

Of course, if you have a GIANT volume cooker with thick walls that was
up to temps before you put the meat in, you probably won't notice much
difference.

But the smaller backyard cookers (like my Chargriller Smokin' Pro)
just can't seem to get keep that heat radiated
and intense enough when it starts out full with a cold load of meat.

However, when we fire my amigo's huge custom Q smoker (with what seems
like a 1/4 cord of wood!) we can put three briskets medium briskets in
and they cook the same as one. That includes a couple of chickens and
some sausage, too.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:

> Heck no, no mopping or fussing with anything but the fire for me. Was
> thinking self basting though, with the fatty portion on top basting
> the lean flat below.

I always do my brisket fat side up, too. I like to layer on a rub (use
whatever tastes good to you) just as I would do a prime rib. The rub will be
part of the crust when the beef is sliced. it doesn't get mixed into the
meat like it does with pulled or chopped pork, so folks can skip eating any
of the crust, and therefore the rub, if they so choose.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 21, 6:55*pm, Tutall > wrote:
> I've just got 4 packer cut briskets between 12-15 lbs which will have
> to go 2 per level as is, uncut. might it be better to cut the flats
> off and have all four of those below where they can be basted?

I wouldn't cut them unless they won't fit in the cooker as one piece/

> Also, I remember often reading fat side down, but IIRC that's
> specifically for verts, not Texas side firebox cookers.

With a sidebox, cook em with the fat side up to get that fat to render
down thru the meat as it cooks.

> And lastly, chile powder in the rub, yaaay, or naaaaay?

I'm a purist when it comes to brisket. I only use S&P and garlic
powder.

-frohe
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 22, 12:28*am, Duwop > wrote:
> On Aug 21, 9:56*pm, "Brick" > wrote:
> Thank y'all, these were my first packer cuts and I finally saw why
> someone would trim excess fat. Which is the same exact reason to put
> the fat to the fire, so to speak.

You need that fat to render down thru the meat while it cooks. Trim
only AFTER you're done cooking.

-frohe
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 22, 3:33*am, frohe > wrote:

> With a sidebox, cook em with the fat side up to get that fat to render
> down thru the meat as it cooks.

> I'm a purist when it comes to brisket. *I only use S&P and garlic
> powder.
>
> -frohe

Thanks Happy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Aug-2009, " > wrote:

> On Aug 22, 12:28*am, Duwop > wrote:
>

> > Gonna have a crowded cooler though, is that a problem? I'd think it's
> > not, but gotta ask.

> Absolutely not. Drink your way through the excess bottles or cans
> until you get the correct amount left in the cooler. In my case, that
> number is sometimes zero....
>
> What's that you say? Did you mean COOKER? If so, you can still
> unload your cooler while cooking.

.. . .

I cook with a New Braunfels Silver smoker which is much the
same as Nailshooter's Chargriller Smoke n Pro. I cook with
it loaded to the hilt most everytime I fire it up. A full load of
cold meat will pull the chamber temp down for a long time,
but that is to be expected. Not to worry. It will catch up. Do
not try to hurry the process. You will only aggravate yourself
unnecessarily.

If you really meant 'cooler' then rest assured a full cooler is
a happy cooler whether it is full of beer keeping cold or meat
holding over.
--
Brick (Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms
of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Marty -

I never mop. Ever. Not anything. Not even chicken. I sauce ribs
once or twice when they are at an hour out, but nothing else. Mopping
a brisket or butt ruins the bark and disguises the meat taste. Rub
good; mopping bad. I mix my simple rubs up according to how I feel
that day. I always seem to feel like a lot of black pepper, but that
and salt are pretty much the mainstay.

When I cook a brisket, I have been converted to trimming. I used to
put on the rub and toss it in the cooker. Did it that way since I
started burning meat in teh 70's.

But I got a copy of someone's book on barbecuing (Paul Kirk?) and
changed my mind. I trim down to +/- 1/4" now and like it better than
leaving it alone and just tossing it in. I have NEVER had a brisket
that I have trimmed do less than drip juices, and that makes it no
different than untrimmed.

Whomever the author of the book was, he was right. Here's what he
said, along with my own comments.

First, why cook fat? Usually everyone is ready to eat some good
brisket the minute they find out, so hours of cooking seems like too
long anyway. (Throw my name in the hat - once I smell it cooking for
a while and the smell of the meat mixes with the smoke - I'm ready!)
He pointed out that using the old "it's done when it's done" method in
a competition you need to stack the deck. There isn't any reason to
add unnecessary cook time (and stress!) by barbecuing 2 - 3 pounds (or
more on a really big piece) of fat. Less fat = less cook time. That
way if the plateau is unusually long you have a bit of a buffer on
time.

Second, although the smoke doesn't penetrate the fat, it does if you
trim a bit close and nick the meat. I know in competition the fat ring
must be as perfect as possible, but I'm talking about at the house. A
nick here or there won't dry out the meat at all and it gives a bit
more penetration of smoke and rub.

Third, one of those big boys really makes a lot of rendered fat to
clean up.
I noticed immediately the first time I trimmed how much less oozing
fat there was to clean up in the pit. I only started trimming a
couple of years ago and didn't catch that at first. I though I had
just bought a nice piece of meat and it cooked really well. Nope. By
about the 3rd brisket, it finally dawned on me. Less rendered fat =
less cleanup. Duh.

I recently bought four good sized briskets. They were on sale for .89
a pound and were all packer cuts. Weighing the fat removed, the
largest one of them (18+ lbs) had almost 3 1/2 pounds of trim come
off. Think what that does to your cook time to remove that!

Another couple of comments on the fat issue. When I cook in my
sidebox smoker, I put the fat side down with the point towards the
fire. I cook the briskets in that smoker at about 300 - 325, even 350
if it's a big boy. I do leave a little extra fat on this cooker as a
bit of a buffer against spikes. The finished products have great bark
(I think from the higher heat and drier air circulating from the fire)
and the meat tastes great because I load in as much wood as I do
charcoal. I don't always seem to have the time to do this anymore
(checking the fuel once every hour or hour an a half) and with our
current heat wave I don't want to. Tomorrow is supposed to reach 102,
and that makes it closing in on 50 days of triple digit weather this
summer.
It's too F'n hot.

But if I have a busy day planned and still want to Q, I put the meat
in the WSM. That way I can get it to temps and leave it alone for
several hours at a time.

In that cooker, it seems to work better to put the fat side up. The
meat is shielded by the sand pan anyway, so it never gets direct
heat. Additionally, I lower the cook temp to about 225 - 250 since it
will be on for so long, usually overnight plus a few hours. The
longer cook melts the fat slowly and it literally runs down the sides
of the brisket as it is cooking. The meat comes out great, but the
downside is a lot less bark.

The bark is better in the Chargriller and the meat texture is more
traditional, but the convenience of the WSM is killer. With no
tending for hours at a time, it is so steady in temp keeping it is
like cooking in a wood fired oven, so that means I Q more often.

As always, just my 0.02.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Dave Bugg said:
>> Duwop wrote:
>>
>>> Heck no, no mopping or fussing with anything but the fire for me.
>>> Was thinking self basting though, with the fatty portion on top
>>> basting the lean flat below.

>> I always do my brisket fat side up, too. I like to layer on a rub
>> (use whatever tastes good to you) just as I would do a prime rib.
>> The rub will be part of the crust when the beef is sliced. it
>> doesn't get mixed into the meat like it does with pulled or chopped
>> pork, so folks can skip eating any of the crust, and therefore the
>> rub, if they so choose.

> You're cooking whole, or flats and points? How aggressively do you
> trim the fat?

The whole thing. No trim; I usually find that the packing house has done
enough.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 22, 10:50*am, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> The whole thing. No trim; I usually find that the packing house has done
> enough.

What's great about cooking and making BBQ is that everyone is right.

Well, a record, packer cut 12-14 lb briskets done in 6 hours. Most of
the cook the lower middle was indicating 250 with a thermometer that's
pretty good.
I swapped the pieces around at the 4 hours mark. Had a log get hot on
me so wanted to dump some heat anyway so probed the pieces at about 6
hours. Some of the big ends were a bit over 200 already. So they're
all wrapped in alu foil in a cooler stacked on top of each now.

Noticed the probe going into the big end real easy. Looking forward to
the eating now.

Thanks all. Good stuff guys, thanks.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message

>> Along the one edge the fat is very thick. All you are doing is
>> making more dripping grease if not trimmed back. I leave about 1/4"
>> and never had a dry piece of meat.

> Are you fat up, or fat down?

Fat up

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
>
> First, why cook fat? Usually everyone is ready to eat some good
> brisket the minute they find out, so hours of cooking seems like too
> long anyway.

> Second, although the smoke doesn't penetrate the fat, it does if you
> trim a bit close and nick the meat. I know in competition the fat ring
> must be as perfect as possible, but I'm talking about at the house. A
> nick here or there won't dry out the meat at all and it gives a bit
> more penetration of smoke and rub.

If you leave a large amount of fat, it has to be trimmed a bit to be edible
too. Leaving a thin ring, coated with a rub and saturated with smoke, you
can still eat it as is. I don't want to throw away flavor by trimming
after.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 22, 9:46*am, " >
wrote:

[Robert says: never mop anything, trim the brisket before cooking]

Agreed, for the most part. Like one or two others have said, I'll
give ribs a thin coating of sauce when they're nearly done, then
wrap 'em foil and hold them at temperature for a bit. Butts and
briskets get a *spritzing* with a little apple juice and rub when I
take 'em out, then wrapped and held at temperature.

You want the fat on the brisket, but you don't want a thick layer.

> The bark is better in the Chargriller and the meat texture is more
> traditional, but the convenience of the WSM is killer. *With no
> tending for hours at a time, it is so steady in temp keeping it is
> like cooking in a wood fired oven, so that means I Q more often.

Amen to the WSM, it's like operating an appliance - especially
when you go the extra mile and add a pit controller. The BBQ Guru
DigiQ II keeps my WSM so steady that I typically will start a
cook in the evening and go to bed and wake up in the morning to
see the WSM sitting right on temperature.

I've been accused of "cheating" by one or two cooks, but that's
just their envy talking. Even without a controller, the WSM was
amazingly easy to manage.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 22, 9:06*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> If you leave a large amount of fat, it has to be trimmed a bit to be edible
> too. *Leaving a thin ring, coated with a rub and saturated with smoke, you
> can still eat it as is. *I don't want to throw away flavor by trimming
> after.

*Thin* ring of fat is key; it'll cook down to nearly nothing and
add a lot of flavor.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 22, 10:06*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> If you leave a large amount of fat, it has to be trimmed a bit to be edible
> too. *Leaving a thin ring, coated with a rub and saturated with smoke, you
> can still eat it as is. *I don't want to throw away flavor by trimming
> after.

A good point.

It reminds me though, of about thirty or so years ago when I used to
slough off that seasoned, sometimes crispy fat and eat it in a piece
of white bread, hot of the pit.

That was before I realized how prevalent heart disease is in our
family.

I still slip off a piece of crunchy fat now and then when I am letting
the brisket rest... hey - I'm not made of stone!

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Just finished eating the results.

So that's what brisket is supposed to taste like? <lightbulb goes off>
Okay then! Texans aren't all that dumb after all, that is good stuff!
Damn, finally made a brisket I wouldn't be embarassed to serve any of
you.

Didn't even want to reach for the sauce, moist, tender and smoky.

The wife, before even taking her first bite started to pour some sauce
(to the side. she knows enough for that), to her credit, after I
remarked that's like salting something before tasting it, she had the
grace to be embarassed and ate a few slices without any. She agreed
sauce wasn't needed.

Anyway, have finally finished the holy trinity of BBQ, thanks all.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Duwop" > wrote in message

> Just finished eating the results.
>
> So that's what brisket is supposed to taste like? <lightbulb goes off>
> Okay then! Texans aren't all that dumb after all, that is good stuff!
> Damn, finally made a brisket I wouldn't be embarassed to serve any of
> you.
>
> Didn't even want to reach for the sauce, moist, tender and smoky.

Now you have it, congratulations! Good brisket does not need sauce. I make
on every year for the company picnic and it goes in a short time. In the ten
years or so I've been doing it, no one has ever asked for sauce.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 23, 9:28*pm, Duwop > wrote:
> Just finished eating the results.
>
> So that's what brisket is supposed to taste like? <lightbulb goes off>
> Okay then! Texans aren't all that dumb after all, that is good stuff!
> Damn, finally made a brisket I wouldn't be embarassed to serve any of
> you.

Congrats, dude. Brisket done right can't be beat.

-frohe
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 25, 3:02*am, frohe > wrote:

> Congrats, dude. *Brisket done right can't be beat.

+1 on that!

I like just about any kind of meat smoked, but really good brisket off
the pit it just a little piece of magic to me.

And once you get the hang of it, it isn't even that hard.

Before I got my "better" cookers that I have now, I cooked as many
folks around here do, on a 55 gallon drum smoker. The fire is on one
side, the brisket on the other.

You HAD to baby sit and drink beer all day as they had no gauges (for
weenies only, you see) and required frequent tending. It was not
unusual for me to use 15 - 20 pounds of charcoal and wood when cooking
a brisket.

Those were the days. More charcoal, more beer, more brisket, more
sausage and lots more alcohol.

Sigh... never knew how good I had it.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:
> On Aug 23, 9:28 pm, Duwop > wrote:
>> Just finished eating the results.
>>
>> So that's what brisket is supposed to taste like? <lightbulb goes off>
>> Okay then! Texans aren't all that dumb after all, that is good stuff!
>> Damn, finally made a brisket I wouldn't be embarassed to serve any of
>> you.

> Congrats, dude. Brisket done right can't be beat.
>
> -frohe

If you have lots of left over brisket, it makes great tacos. I diced
some up last night, put it in a skillet, added my own blend of spices
and a little water and heated it up.

Served it with home made pico de gallo, lettuce, onions, avocado,
shredded Jack cheese, chopped cilantro and sour cream with warm flour
tortillas. We don't do the boxed crispy taco thing here.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 25, 8:27*am, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> If you have lots of left over brisket, it makes great tacos. I diced
> some up last night, put it in a skillet, added my own blend of spices
> and a little water and heated it up.
>
> Served it with home made pico de gallo, lettuce, onions, avocado,
> shredded Jack cheese, chopped cilantro and sour cream with warm flour
> tortillas. We don't do the boxed crispy taco thing here.

Man alive, that's some good eating there, isn't it? It is always
dicey for me when I am down to the last of the brisket. It's just me
and the SO, so a 13 - 14 lb brisket always lasts for at least 3 meals.

Sammies or tacos?

Can't lose either way!

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet-the tacos idea is great for any leftover meat. I've also done some
great stir fry!

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> frohe wrote:
>> On Aug 23, 9:28 pm, Duwop > wrote:
>>> Just finished eating the results.
>>>
>>> So that's what brisket is supposed to taste like? <lightbulb goes off>
>>> Okay then! Texans aren't all that dumb after all, that is good stuff!
>>> Damn, finally made a brisket I wouldn't be embarassed to serve any of
>>> you.

>> Congrats, dude. Brisket done right can't be beat.
>>
>> -frohe

> If you have lots of left over brisket, it makes great tacos. I diced some
> up last night, put it in a skillet, added my own blend of spices and a
> little water and heated it up.
>
> Served it with home made pico de gallo, lettuce, onions, avocado, shredded
> Jack cheese, chopped cilantro and sour cream with warm flour tortillas. We
> don't do the boxed crispy taco thing here.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26-Aug-2009, Duwop > wrote:

> On Aug 25, 6:40*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> > > wrote in message

> > On Aug 25, 8:27 am, Janet Wilder > wrote:

.. . .

> > Don't forget hash.

> Hash? I've heard of it, ate it once, but how would I go about making
> it? I'm thinking it's simple?
> It's kind of an east coast thing? East of Rockies anyway I think.

Hash is as simple as meat and potatoes mixed together. Typically made
from leftover meat and boiled potatoes. I always put onion in mine and
at least salt and pepper. At anytime that I started with all fresh
ingredients,
I would make meatloaf rather then hash. But like meatloaf, there are few
if any rules about hash.

Corned beef hash is especially popular. It is made from cooked corned
beef and boiled potatoes. The components are chopped and mixed. If
the batch is big enough, I run it through the meat grinder. Otherwise, I
just chop it with a light cleaver. Hash is a great breakfast component
coupled with eggs and toast.

I'm just finishing up a batch I made from pork sparerib flap meat
that I trimmed from the bone side prior to smoking the ribs. I chopped
the meat to a hamburger like consistency, sauteed it thoroughly and
then mixed it with potato, onion and seasoned salt. I form the result
into patties and fry them, but there's no rules for that either.

--
Brick (Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of
government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow
operations, perverted it into tyranny.)
Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:

> Hash? I've heard of it, ate it once, but how would I go about making
> it? I'm thinking it's simple?
> It's kind of an east coast thing? East of Rockies anyway I think.

I've only had hash once, in Greenville: http://www.henryssmokehouse.com/

It was just overcooked pork and chicken mush with a watery, vinegary
sauce. I don't even remember it having potatoes or tomatoes or anything
else in it. It was served over rice.

Everything else at this restaurant was pretty good - the best in
Greenville by far, so I have no reason to doubt it's validity, but it just
wasn't my kind of food. It

Here's some hash recipes:
http://www.bbq-porch.org/recipes/html/C39.htm
(Creamed corn in hash? Eeeek)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

That's not Hash.

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Duwop wrote:
>
>> Hash? I've heard of it, ate it once, but how would I go about making
>> it? I'm thinking it's simple?
>> It's kind of an east coast thing? East of Rockies anyway I think.

> I've only had hash once, in Greenville: http://www.henryssmokehouse.com/
>
> It was just overcooked pork and chicken mush with a watery, vinegary
> sauce. I don't even remember it having potatoes or tomatoes or anything
> else in it. It was served over rice.
>
> Everything else at this restaurant was pretty good - the best in
> Greenville by far, so I have no reason to doubt it's validity, but it just
> wasn't my kind of food. It
>
> Here's some hash recipes:
> http://www.bbq-porch.org/recipes/html/C39.htm
> (Creamed corn in hash? Eeeek)
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Harry" > wrote:
> That's not Hash.
> [ . . . ]

I've not seen you add anything of value to any thread, nor will I.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:

> "Harry" > wrote:
>
>>That's not Hash.
>>[ . . . ]

> I've not seen you add anything of value to any thread, nor will I.

It will be a long wait indeed. Plus if it ever comes
it will be top posted.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:

> Funny, that pico de gallo would be what we consider just a salsa.
> Chopped tomatoes + cilantro + onions + anything = salsa.
> I suppose pico de gallo is the more specific or correct term.

Salsa means sauce. Pico de gallo is a type of sauce. Typical pico de
gallo (beak of the rooster) contains chopped tomato, chopped jalapeno,
chopped sweet onion, chopped cilantro, freshly -squeezed lime juice and
salt.

There are many different salsas in Mexican border Cuisine.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Wow, did I ask you for your opinion? I don't need to add anything. The
gentlemen here seem to know what they are doing just fine. Do you?

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Harry" > wrote:
>> That's not Hash.
>> [ . . . ]

> I've not seen you add anything of value to any thread, nor will I.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:

> RegForte > wrote:
>
>>It will be a long wait indeed. Plus if it ever comes
>>it will be top posted.

> No wait. I will not see it. Capeesh? ;-)

Ho capito. Me neither.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > "Harry" > wrote:
> >
> >>That's not Hash.
> >>[ . . . ]

> > I've not seen you add anything of value to any thread, nor will I.

> It will be a long wait indeed. Plus if it ever comes
> it will be top posted.

No wait. I will not see it. Capeesh? ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 26, 5:42*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Salsa means sauce. Pico de gallo is a type of sauce. Typical pico de
> gallo (beak of the rooster) contains chopped tomato, chopped jalapeno,
> chopped sweet onion, chopped cilantro, freshly -squeezed lime juice and
> salt.

The classic recipe for pico.

Most, although not all "salsas" seem to be cooked, and have more
tomato product (like sauce etc.) in them.

I made myself a batch of salsa last weekend. When I cooked a butt the
week before I put on about three pounds of japs around the meat,
careful not to cross contaminate. I smoked the japs until they were
like raisins in appearance and texture, but not crunchy.

I made my salsa with crushed tomatoes, fresh garlic, a couple of fresh
green japs and a handful of those smoked guys and salt. Smokey
salsa... mmmm......

It is heaven on chips, eggs, enchiladas or tacos.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 26, 4:03*pm, " >
wrote:
> On Aug 26, 5:42*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
> > Salsa means sauce. Pico de gallo is a type of sauce. Typical pico de
> > gallo (beak of the rooster) contains chopped tomato, chopped jalapeno,
> > chopped sweet onion, chopped cilantro, freshly -squeezed lime juice and
> > salt.

> The classic recipe for pico.
>
> Most, although not all "salsas" seem to be cooked, and have more
> tomato product (like sauce etc.) in them.

Heh, we here in Norcal must not be very particular, it's ALL salsa to
us, most salsas are not cooked. (Yes, Janet, I know what salsa means
in Espanol, just talking Norcal gringo usage here)
Heh, well guess I learned the best salsa has a specific name.

> I made myself a batch of salsa last weekend. *When I cooked a butt the
> week before I put on about three pounds of japs around the meat,
> careful not to cross contaminate. *I smoked the japs until they were
> like raisins in appearance and texture, but not crunchy.
>
> I made my salsa with crushed tomatoes, fresh garlic, a couple of fresh
> green japs and a handful of those smoked guys and salt. *Smokey
> salsa... mmmm......
>
> It is heaven on chips, eggs, enchiladas or tacos.

Damn, I GOT to do that next time I do butts, it's been too long, co-
workers sister works at a market, she'll pay for her butt with habs
and peppers. Probably end up adding cilantro and onion, and maybe
citrus, depending.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:50:34 -0700, RegForte > wrote:

>Nick Cramer wrote:
>
>> RegForte > wrote:
>>
>>>It will be a long wait indeed. Plus if it ever comes
>>>it will be top posted.

>> No wait. I will not see it. Capeesh? ;-)
>>

>Ho capito. Me neither.

Parla Italiano???

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26 Aug 2009 22:52:24 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>RegForte > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>> > I've not seen you add anything of value to any thread, nor will I.

>> It will be a long wait indeed. Plus if it ever comes
>> it will be top posted.

>No wait. I will not see it. Capeesh? ;-)

Io sono capisco.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria > wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:50:34 -0700, RegForte > wrote:
> >Nick Cramer wrote:

> >> No wait. I will not see it. Capeesh? ;-)

> >Ho capito. Me neither.

> Parla Italiano???

Non parla, non capitsco. ;-/

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> >RegForte > wrote:

> >> It will be a long wait indeed. Plus if it ever comes
> >> it will be top posted.

> >No wait. I will not see it. Capeesh? ;-)

> Io sono capisco.

Che bella paisana!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

opinions please Storrmmee General Cooking 62 29-11-2011 10:03 AM
Opinions of RFC Pam[_3_] General Cooking 61 29-04-2009 04:32 PM
Need Opinions Bob Becker Winemaking 6 30-04-2007 08:46 PM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM
Opinions? pater Winemaking 16 08-01-2005 01:57 AM