Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default liquid smoke, gag

who invented this crap and why is it legal, we were recently in a buffet of
decent quality and there was pulled chicken... DH says, ok its not drowning
in sauce but is coated... when we got back to the table i bit into it and
almost hurked right there, Lee

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:14:13 -0500, "Stormmee"
> wrote:

>who invented this crap and why is it legal, we were recently in a buffet of
>decent quality and there was pulled chicken... DH says, ok its not drowning
>in sauce but is coated... when we got back to the table i bit into it and
>almost hurked right there, Lee

Lee, almost every recipe for Kalua pig calls for a little liquid
smoke. I did a pork butt bone-in two nights ago and added the usual,
Hawaiian salt, and a small amount of liquid smoke. I wrapped the butt
in banana leaves (I didn't have ti leaves) and cooked in the crock-pot
for 10 hours. It came out absolutely delicious, or so say the ones
who ate. (I cannot eat by mouth) My neighbor loved it because he said
it was not overwhelmed with the smoke flavor. I guess it's a matter
of how much one uses. I used only a tablespoon.
Eddie
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Eddie > wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:14:13 -0500, "Stormmee"
> > wrote:
>
> >who invented this crap and why is it legal, we were recently in a buffet
> >of decent quality and there was pulled chicken... DH says, ok its not
> >drowning in sauce but is coated... when we got back to the table i bit
> >into it and almost hurked right there, Lee
> >

> Lee, almost every recipe for Kalua pig calls for a little liquid
> smoke. I did a pork butt bone-in two nights ago and added the usual,
> Hawaiian salt, and a small amount of liquid smoke. I wrapped the butt
> in banana leaves (I didn't have ti leaves) and cooked in the crock-pot
> for 10 hours. It came out absolutely delicious, or so say the ones
> who ate. (I cannot eat by mouth) My neighbor loved it because he said
> it was not overwhelmed with the smoke flavor. I guess it's a matter
> of how much one uses. I used only a tablespoon.

That's the key. Use very little. There's a brand that Squertz likes.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

this was like it had been boiled in water that had had ashes dumped in, it
really was nasty, i don't recall ever eating anything like this before, Lee
"Eddie" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:14:13 -0500, "Stormmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>who invented this crap and why is it legal, we were recently in a buffet
>>of
>>decent quality and there was pulled chicken... DH says, ok its not
>>drowning
>>in sauce but is coated... when we got back to the table i bit into it and
>>almost hurked right there, Lee
>>

> Lee, almost every recipe for Kalua pig calls for a little liquid
> smoke. I did a pork butt bone-in two nights ago and added the usual,
> Hawaiian salt, and a small amount of liquid smoke. I wrapped the butt
> in banana leaves (I didn't have ti leaves) and cooked in the crock-pot
> for 10 hours. It came out absolutely delicious, or so say the ones
> who ate. (I cannot eat by mouth) My neighbor loved it because he said
> it was not overwhelmed with the smoke flavor. I guess it's a matter
> of how much one uses. I used only a tablespoon.
> Eddie

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i would be willing to try it for some crock pot recipes but have no
knowledge of even what brand or isle to get it rom. Lee

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Eddie > wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:14:13 -0500, "Stormmee"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >who invented this crap and why is it legal, we were recently in a buffet
>> >of decent quality and there was pulled chicken... DH says, ok its not
>> >drowning in sauce but is coated... when we got back to the table i bit
>> >into it and almost hurked right there, Lee
>> >

>> Lee, almost every recipe for Kalua pig calls for a little liquid
>> smoke. I did a pork butt bone-in two nights ago and added the usual,
>> Hawaiian salt, and a small amount of liquid smoke. I wrapped the butt
>> in banana leaves (I didn't have ti leaves) and cooked in the crock-pot
>> for 10 hours. It came out absolutely delicious, or so say the ones
>> who ate. (I cannot eat by mouth) My neighbor loved it because he said
>> it was not overwhelmed with the smoke flavor. I guess it's a matter
>> of how much one uses. I used only a tablespoon.

> That's the key. Use very little. There's a brand that Squertz likes.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> this was like it had been boiled in water that had had ashes dumped in, it
> really was nasty, i don't recall ever eating anything like this before,
> Lee

A little goes a very long way. Too much is downright nasty, but it is often
used in "double smoked" bacon and can be very good. We've made a few
non-barbecue things with it and it can give a nice hint of smokiness to a
recipe like a dip.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22 Aug 2009 05:38:42 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:

> That's the key. Use very little. There's a brand that Squertz likes.

http://www.colgin.com/public/

My connections tell me there's a new Snozberry flavor hitting the
shelves soon.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Eddie" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:14:13 -0500, "Stormmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>who invented this crap and why is it legal, we were recently in a buffet
>>of
>>decent quality and there was pulled chicken... DH says, ok its not
>>drowning
>>in sauce but is coated... when we got back to the table i bit into it and
>>almost hurked right there, Lee
>>

> Lee, almost every recipe for Kalua pig calls for a little liquid
> smoke. I did a pork butt bone-in two nights ago and added the usual,
> Hawaiian salt, and a small amount of liquid smoke. I wrapped the butt
> in banana leaves (I didn't have ti leaves) and cooked in the crock-pot
> for 10 hours. It came out absolutely delicious, or so say the ones
> who ate. (I cannot eat by mouth) My neighbor loved it because he said
> it was not overwhelmed with the smoke flavor. I guess it's a matter
> of how much one uses. I used only a tablespoon.
> Eddie

Whenever I make cured salmon, or gravlax,
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/132/Gravlax I put on a few drops
of liquid smoke, and I have cold smoked salmon in the home. It's great!

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Aug-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On 22 Aug 2009 05:38:42 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:
>
> > That's the key. Use very little. There's a brand that Squertz likes.

> http://www.colgin.com/public/
>
> My connections tell me there's a new Snozberry flavor hitting the
> shelves soon.
>
> -sw

Colgin is the brand I have, though I've never used it. I doubt I'd
ever have any use for the 'Snozberry flavor' either.

--
Brick (Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government
those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 17:40:30 GMT, Brick wrote:

> On 22-Aug-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On 22 Aug 2009 05:38:42 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:
>>
>>> That's the key. Use very little. There's a brand that Squertz likes.

>> http://www.colgin.com/public/
>>
>> My connections tell me there's a new Snozberry flavor hitting the
>> shelves soon.

> Colgin is the brand I have, though I've never used it. I doubt I'd
> ever have any use for the 'Snozberry flavor' either.

I always found that Wright's brand was much harsher than the Colgin
line.

I just looked at the Wright's website and it has this precious gem:

"Wright's can be used in marinades, sauces, soups and stews, and it
can even change your gas grill into a charcoal barbecue. Just pour
some onto the lava rocks before you light it and WOW, what great
hickory flavor! We like to call it "Wright's® On The Rocks"„¢."

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

is there any particular brand you can reccomend? i recently saw a cheese
dip that called for it but haven't ever used it, Lee

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> this was like it had been boiled in water that had had ashes dumped in,
>> it really was nasty, i don't recall ever eating anything like this
>> before, Lee

> A little goes a very long way. Too much is downright nasty, but it is
> often used in "double smoked" bacon and can be very good. We've made a
> few non-barbecue things with it and it can give a nice hint of smokiness
> to a recipe like a dip.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks, Lee

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On 22 Aug 2009 05:38:42 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:
>
>> That's the key. Use very little. There's a brand that Squertz likes.

> http://www.colgin.com/public/
>
> My connections tell me there's a new Snozberry flavor hitting the
> shelves soon.
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks Lee, eyeing the cheese ball recipe and filing posts for later

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 22-Aug-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On 22 Aug 2009 05:38:42 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:
>>
>> > That's the key. Use very little. There's a brand that Squertz likes.

>> http://www.colgin.com/public/
>>
>> My connections tell me there's a new Snozberry flavor hitting the
>> shelves soon.
>>
>> -sw

> Colgin is the brand I have, though I've never used it. I doubt I'd
> ever have any use for the 'Snozberry flavor' either.
>
> --
> Brick (Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government
> those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations,
> perverted
> it into tyranny.)
> Thomas Jefferson

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks, i love smoked salmon, Lee
"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Eddie" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:14:13 -0500, "Stormmee"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>who invented this crap and why is it legal, we were recently in a buffet
>>>of
>>>decent quality and there was pulled chicken... DH says, ok its not
>>>drowning
>>>in sauce but is coated... when we got back to the table i bit into it and
>>>almost hurked right there, Lee
>>>

>> Lee, almost every recipe for Kalua pig calls for a little liquid
>> smoke. I did a pork butt bone-in two nights ago and added the usual,
>> Hawaiian salt, and a small amount of liquid smoke. I wrapped the butt
>> in banana leaves (I didn't have ti leaves) and cooked in the crock-pot
>> for 10 hours. It came out absolutely delicious, or so say the ones
>> who ate. (I cannot eat by mouth) My neighbor loved it because he said
>> it was not overwhelmed with the smoke flavor. I guess it's a matter
>> of how much one uses. I used only a tablespoon.
>> Eddie
>>

> Whenever I make cured salmon, or gravlax,
> http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/132/Gravlax I put on a few drops
> of liquid smoke, and I have cold smoked salmon in the home. It's great!
>
> Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> is there any particular brand you can reccomend? i recently saw a cheese
> dip that called for it but haven't ever used it, Lee

I have Wrights because that is what was available.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Fish sauce, was liquid smoke, gag

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> thanks, Lee
>
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

[]

> > http://www.colgin.com/public/
> > [ . . . ]

Many SE Asian recipes call for fish sauce (Thai Nam Pla). It should never
be eliminated from the recipe, but you might want to start with less than
called for until you see how you like it.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:17:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I have Wrights because that is what was available.

You either live in Wright's or Colgin territories. It's like
Hellmann's and Best Foods - except these really are two different
companies.

What I always wondered is, if Best Foods is sold Wast of the
Rockies, and Hellmann's east of the Rockies - what do they use for
mayo *in* the Rockies?

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:17:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I have Wrights because that is what was available.

> You either live in Wright's or Colgin territories. It's like
> Hellmann's and Best Foods - except these really are two different
> companies.
>
> What I always wondered is, if Best Foods is sold Wast of the
> Rockies, and Hellmann's east of the Rockies - what do they use for
> mayo *in* the Rockies?
>
> -sw

LOL.... I was wondering something similar... why do they not just make a
quick advertisement that say both are the same?

Anywho, also wanted to chime in on the liquid smoke thing.... Liquid
smoke is usually nothing more than condensed actual smoke in a liquid
form. Nothing wrong with that. The issue to me, is how much to use for
any particular cooking usage.

I don't use liquid smoke when grilling, or with BBQ. But in a marinade,
or an inside grilled steak or chicken, etc, I do.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:17:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I have Wrights because that is what was available.

> You either live in Wright's or Colgin territories. It's like
> Hellmann's and Best Foods - except these really are two different
> companies.
>
> What I always wondered is, if Best Foods is sold Wast of the
> Rockies, and Hellmann's east of the Rockies - what do they use for
> mayo *in* the Rockies?

Huh. I always thought that the Hellman's vs. Best Foods mayo thing was east
or west of the Mississippi river. I don't think catfish buy mayo (I could be
wrong) so the whole river deal is moot.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:17:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I have Wrights because that is what was available.

> You either live in Wright's or Colgin territories. It's like
> Hellmann's and Best Foods - except these really are two different
> companies.
>
> What I always wondered is, if Best Foods is sold Wast of the
> Rockies, and Hellmann's east of the Rockies - what do they use for
> mayo *in* the Rockies?
>
> -sw

Bear whiz.

Dave T.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:17:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>>> I have Wrights because that is what was available.

>> You either live in Wright's or Colgin territories. It's like
>> Hellmann's and Best Foods - except these really are two different
>> companies.
>>
>> What I always wondered is, if Best Foods is sold Wast of the
>> Rockies, and Hellmann's east of the Rockies - what do they use for
>> mayo *in* the Rockies?

> Huh. I always thought that the Hellman's vs. Best Foods mayo thing was east
> or west of the Mississippi river. I don't think catfish buy mayo (I could be
> wrong) so the whole river deal is moot.

Dave - You do know that the Hellmanns and Best Foods *are* the same
mayo, right?

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob Muncie wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> You either live in Wright's or Colgin territories. It's like
>>> Hellmann's and Best Foods - except these really are two different
>>> companies.
>>>
>>> What I always wondered is, if Best Foods is sold Wast of the
>>> Rockies, and Hellmann's east of the Rockies - what do they use for
>>> mayo *in* the Rockies?

>> Huh. I always thought that the Hellman's vs. Best Foods mayo thing
>> was east or west of the Mississippi river. I don't think catfish buy
>> mayo (I could be wrong) so the whole river deal is moot.

> Dave - You do know that the Hellmanns and Best Foods *are* the same
> mayo, right?

Why, yes. Yes I do, Bob. I was talking 'branding', just as others were.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>> Dave Bugg wrote:

>>> Huh. I always thought that the Hellman's vs. Best Foods mayo thing
>>> was east or west of the Mississippi river. I don't think catfish buy
>>> mayo (I could be wrong) so the whole river deal is moot.

>> Dave - You do know that the Hellmanns and Best Foods *are* the same
>> mayo, right?

> Why, yes. Yes I do, Bob. I was talking 'branding', just as others were.

Okay, I did not read all posts on the subject. Just wanted to make sure
had you not known about the twin-ness here.

My bad. I should have realized you likely already new.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:16:47 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:

>> What I always wondered is, if Best Foods is sold west of the
>> Rockies, and Hellmann's east of the Rockies - what do they use for
>> mayo *in* the Rockies?

> Huh. I always thought that the Hellman's vs. Best Foods mayo thing was east
> or west of the Mississippi river. I don't think catfish buy mayo (I could be
> wrong) so the whole river deal is moot.

"Our products are available through distribution East of the Rockies
as Hellmann's, and West of the Rockies under Best-Foods."

http://www.bestfoods.com/history.aspx

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:16:47 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> What I always wondered is, if Best Foods is sold west of the
>>> Rockies, and Hellmann's east of the Rockies - what do they use for
>>> mayo *in* the Rockies?

>> Huh. I always thought that the Hellman's vs. Best Foods mayo thing
>> was east or west of the Mississippi river. I don't think catfish buy
>> mayo (I could be wrong) so the whole river deal is moot.

> "Our products are available through distribution East of the Rockies
> as Hellmann's, and West of the Rockies under Best-Foods."
>
> http://www.bestfoods.com/history.aspx

How 'bout that. One step closer to knowing everything there is to know. :-)

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks, Lee

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> is there any particular brand you can reccomend? i recently saw a cheese
>> dip that called for it but haven't ever used it, Lee
>>

> I have Wrights because that is what was available.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

after reading here i can see this warrents further consideration i am
thinking whoever made this chicken was just too heavy handed, Lee
"Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:17:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>>> I have Wrights because that is what was available.

>> You either live in Wright's or Colgin territories. It's like
>> Hellmann's and Best Foods - except these really are two different
>> companies.
>>
>> What I always wondered is, if Best Foods is sold Wast of the
>> Rockies, and Hellmann's east of the Rockies - what do they use for
>> mayo *in* the Rockies?
>>
>> -sw
>>

> LOL.... I was wondering something similar... why do they not just make a
> quick advertisement that say both are the same?
>
> Anywho, also wanted to chime in on the liquid smoke thing.... Liquid smoke
> is usually nothing more than condensed actual smoke in a liquid form.
> Nothing wrong with that. The issue to me, is how much to use for any
> particular cooking usage.
>
> I don't use liquid smoke when grilling, or with BBQ. But in a marinade, or
> an inside grilled steak or chicken, etc, I do.
>
> Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

probably good advice, Lee

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> thanks, Lee
>>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> []
>> >
>> > http://www.colgin.com/public/
>> > [ . . . ]

> Many SE Asian recipes call for fish sauce (Thai Nam Pla). It should never
> be eliminated from the recipe, but you might want to start with less than
> called for until you see how you like it.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23 Aug 2009 21:46:57 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>"Stormmee" > wrote:
>> thanks, Lee
>>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>[]
>> >
>> > http://www.colgin.com/public/
>> > [ . . . ]

>Many SE Asian recipes call for fish sauce (Thai Nam Pla). It should never
>be eliminated from the recipe, but you might want to start with less than
>called for until you see how you like it.

Then, there's every possibility you will add a bit more than called
for ;-).
Most Asian markets in our area are either Chinese or Vietnamese so we
get our fish sauce at a Vietnamese market. We're partial to Nuoc Mam
Nhi Viet Huong, Three Crabs brand. Very useful in many recipes.
On the original thread subject, the only liquid smoke I've seen in
this part of Canada is Woodland Brand. The ingredient list has only
one item: Real Liquid Hickory Smoke. We use it very sparingly in just
a few dishes and, the 150ml bottle will probably last for several
generations.

Ross.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks i am keeping a list of the brands and commeents on them so if we run
across them in our travels i will have an idea of what to get.Lee

> wrote in message
> On 23 Aug 2009 21:46:57 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
>>"Stormmee" > wrote:
>>> thanks, Lee
>>>
>>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>[]

>>Many SE Asian recipes call for fish sauce (Thai Nam Pla). It should never
>>be eliminated from the recipe, but you might want to start with less than
>>called for until you see how you like it.

> Then, there's every possibility you will add a bit more than called
> for ;-).
> Most Asian markets in our area are either Chinese or Vietnamese so we
> get our fish sauce at a Vietnamese market. We're partial to Nuoc Mam
> Nhi Viet Huong, Three Crabs brand. Very useful in many recipes.
> On the original thread subject, the only liquid smoke I've seen in
> this part of Canada is Woodland Brand. The ingredient list has only
> one item: Real Liquid Hickory Smoke. We use it very sparingly in just
> a few dishes and, the 150ml bottle will probably last for several
> generations.
>
> Ross.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

http://www.colgin.com/public/

>> Many SE Asian recipes call for fish sauce (Thai Nam Pla). It should never
>> be eliminated from the recipe, but you might want to start with less than
>> called for until you see how you like it.

> Then, there's every possibility you will add a bit more than called
> for ;-).
> Most Asian markets in our area are either Chinese or Vietnamese so we
> get our fish sauce at a Vietnamese market. We're partial to Nuoc Mam
> Nhi Viet Huong, Three Crabs brand. Very useful in many recipes.
> On the original thread subject, the only liquid smoke I've seen in
> this part of Canada is Woodland Brand. The ingredient list has only
> one item: Real Liquid Hickory Smoke. We use it very sparingly in just
> a few dishes and, the 150ml bottle will probably last for several
> generations.
>
> Ross.

That's what I use - very, very sparingly. I have a nice smoked
salmon/cream cheese appetizer recipe (basically salmon, cream cheese,
lemon, and dill all smooshed together and rolled in flour tortillas.
Chill, and slice into rounds) When I don't have smoked salmon
available, I substitute canned sock eye and a drop of liquid smoke.

MargW

Liquid smoke notbob General Cooking 26 20-10-2015 07:19 PM
Liquid Smoke Experiment # 2 Bread Basket Barbecue 0 07-03-2011 08:46 AM
Liquid smoke experiment Nonnymus[_13_] Barbecue 21 08-08-2010 12:07 AM
Liquid Smoke Nonnymus[_7_] Barbecue 31 23-04-2007 10:35 PM
hikory liquid smoke WAYNE SCICLUNA Preserving 8 21-11-2003 07:09 PM