Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Simple steak sauce

On 20-Aug-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 20:21:27 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
> >> Worcestershire - Vinegar, Molasses, High Fructose Corn Syrup,
> >> Anchovies

> > Goddamn lousy commie corn growin' bastids! They infiltrated L&P and
> > insinuated themselves into US made L&P Worcestershire sauce. Gonna
> > throw the bottle away and look for a Brit food shop.

> Notice the bottle of L&P says "Original Recipe". I didn't know they
> even had HFCS in the 1830's.
>
> -sw

Sqwertz stikes again.

The process by which HFCS is produced was first developed by Richard Off.
Marshalle and Earl P. Kooi in 1957. (Google)

They probably used pure sugar originally. Not much difference really.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

>>> Goddamn lousy commie corn growin' bastids! They infiltrated L&P and
>>> insinuated themselves into US made L&P Worcestershire sauce. Gonna
>>> throw the bottle away and look for a Brit food shop.

>> Notice the bottle of L&P says "Original Recipe". I didn't know they
>> even had HFCS in the 1830's.
>>
>> -sw

> Sqwertz stikes again.
>
> The process by which HFCS is produced was first developed by Richard Off.
> Marshalle and Earl P. Kooi in 1957. (Google)
>
> They probably used pure sugar originally. Not much difference really.

HFCS and sugar? Huge difference.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kicker wrote:
> Brick wrote:

>>> Notice the bottle of L&P says "Original Recipe". I didn't know they
>>> even had HFCS in the 1830's.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Sqwertz stikes again.
>>
>> The process by which HFCS is produced was first developed by Richard
>> Off. Marshalle and Earl P. Kooi in 1957. (Google)
>>
>> They probably used pure sugar originally. Not much difference really.
>>

> HFCS and sugar? Huge difference.

Not really.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

thanks, Lee
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Stormmmee wrote (I undid top-posting, which causes crabs):
>
>>> The barbecue sauce I made for beef ribs on Memorial Day had a
>>> startlingly-high amount of Worcestershire sauce, and I had misgivings
>>> about making it according to the recipe. But it turned out quite well.
>>> (It also featured coffee, and I was nervous about *that*, too. It's an
>>> "Oakland-style" sauce.)

>> would you share the recipe? it sounds, um, interesting, Lee

> Here it is:
>
> Oakland-Style Barbecue Sauce
>
> Ingredients:
> 2 cups chopped onions
> 1 cup strong black coffee
> 1 cup ketchup
> 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
> 1/2 cup brown sugar
> 1/2 cup cider vinegar
> 1/4 cup hot chili peppers, minced
> 3 tablespoons chili powder
> 6 cloves garlic, minced
> 2 teaspoons salt
>
> Preparation:
> Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and simmer for about half an
> hour. Let cool. Pour into a blender and puree until smooth. Store in a
> glass
> container in the refrigerator.
>
> (Note the equal proportions of ketchup, coffee and Worcestershire sauce.
> Weird, huh? But as I said, it turned out well.)
>
> Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Kicker wrote:
>> Brick wrote:

>>> Sqwertz stikes again.
>>>
>>> The process by which HFCS is produced was first developed by Richard
>>> Off. Marshalle and Earl P. Kooi in 1957. (Google)
>>>
>>> They probably used pure sugar originally. Not much difference really.
>>>

>> HFCS and sugar? Huge difference.

> Not really.

Yes, really. Try blind tasting root beers with
HFCS vs cane sugar; the difference is dramatic.
Ever taste CocaCola that's kosher for Passover?
The kosher version has cane sugar and it tastes
like Coke did in my youth. Add in a little known
fact that the body can typically only metabolize
20mg (or is it grams?) of HFCS a day after which
it goes to fat. Considering a 12oz Coke has twice
that amount is it any wonder we're turning into a
nation of blubberbutts? HFCS is something Earl
Butz gave us to shore up the farmers (not a bad
idea, per se) and to screw over Castro's sugar
cane economy, which didn't work.

BTW, what's up with your BBQ joint? I still have
the T-shirt and the old Harley I'm riding now
*might* make it to Wenatchee.

JD

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 19:43:27 GMT, Brick wrote:

> On 20-Aug-2009, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bobo_Bonobo=AE?= > wrote:

>>> Who's the troll? *BAE, Lee, or Boo Boo?
>>>
>>> I think Boo Boo and BAE are on the right track. *This is pretty much
>>> how all steak and most BBQ sauces start out. *Water, Tomato paste,
>>> Vinegar, Worchestershire, HFCS... *I can probably dig up 20 brands
>>> that start with four of those first five ingredients.

>> Let's see? A-1 has no Worchestershi
>> http://www.zeer.com/Food-Products/A-...auce/000051234
>> Neither does Crystal. (bottle in my fridge)
>> Same for WalMart's Great Value:
>> http://www.associatedcontent.com/vid...ak.html?cat=22
>> Fire Brand? Nope:
>> http://www.firebrandsauce.com/steak-sauce.html
>> Tobasco Brand doesn't have any Worchestershire either:
>> http://www.zeer.com/Food-Products/Ta...auce/000002821
>> Heinz HP Sauce? None:
>> http://www.brownsauce.org/2007/06/06...s-perspective/
>>
>> Twenty, eh? You can start digging any time.
>>>
>>> Whether you need "steak sauce" or not is a different troll.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> --Bryan

> Main ingredients from 'MY' bottles of Worcestershire, Heinz 57 and A1 steak
> sauces;
>
> Worcestershire - Vinegar, Molasses, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Anchovies
>
> Heinz 57 - Tomato Paste, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Vinegar, Raisins
>
> A1 - Tomato Paste, Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Raisins
>
> Kind of looks like they all have vinegar and corn syrup don't it? What is
> Worcestershire? Vinegar corn syrup and flavors. A1 despite protestations
> that it doesn't; contains the main ingredients of Worcestershire. So does
> Heinz 57.

i guess this means a cat is just like a canary because the both have
backbones.

blake

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:54:44 GMT, Brick wrote:

> They probably used pure sugar originally. Not much difference really.

Pure sugar? You mean that other white stuff that looks like salt?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:55:07 -0700, Kicker wrote:

> Add in a little known
> fact that the body can typically only metabolize
> 20mg (or is it grams?) of HFCS a day after which
> it goes to fat.

What next - High Fructose Corn Fat?

Oh, great. ADM is so evil.

-sw

Simple BBQ sauce Kent[_5_] Barbecue 11 04-03-2012 09:18 PM
Simple barbecue sauce Melba's Jammin' Barbecue 3 01-11-2011 08:34 PM
Simple steak sauce Well? General Cooking 55 22-08-2009 01:00 AM
Simple flank steak dinner Andy[_2_] General Cooking 21 01-10-2007 06:57 PM