Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Time for some dry aged beef

I haven't done any dry aging since the holidays, and last night
I suddenly got a craving for it. Got an 11 lb top loin
set up in the fridge at the moment. Humidity was a bit low at
35% so I filled a half sheet with water and put that in.
Brought it up to 60% or so, which is just about right. Should
be ready in a week. Half will get done in the WSM, the rest
will end up as steaks on the grill.

At the moment there's a pork tenderloin in the cookshack
which should be ready by dinnertime.

All this sunshine is making me want meat.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte wrote:
> I haven't done any dry aging since the holidays, and last night
> I suddenly got a craving for it. Got an 11 lb top loin
> set up in the fridge at the moment. Humidity was a bit low at
> 35% so I filled a half sheet with water and put that in.
> Brought it up to 60% or so, which is just about right. Should
> be ready in a week. Half will get done in the WSM, the rest
> will end up as steaks on the grill.
>
> At the moment there's a pork tenderloin in the cookshack
> which should be ready by dinnertime.
>
> All this sunshine is making me want meat.

Sounds good, Reg. I tend to think the craving for meat is coming from the
change from summer toward fall.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:

> RegForte wrote:
>
>>I haven't done any dry aging since the holidays, and last night
>>I suddenly got a craving for it. Got an 11 lb top loin
>>set up in the fridge at the moment. Humidity was a bit low at
>>35% so I filled a half sheet with water and put that in.
>>Brought it up to 60% or so, which is just about right. Should
>>be ready in a week. Half will get done in the WSM, the rest
>>will end up as steaks on the grill.
>>
>>At the moment there's a pork tenderloin in the cookshack
>>which should be ready by dinnertime.
>>
>>All this sunshine is making me want meat.

> Sounds good, Reg. I tend to think the craving for meat is coming from the
> change from summer toward fall.

Thing is, here in the bay area we've been waiting for the
sun to come out since last year. They grey finally went
away in the last few weeks, so it's more like winter
into spring. Finally.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 13, 9:20*pm, RegForte > wrote:

> Thing is, here in the bay area we've been waiting for the
> sun to come out since last year. They grey finally went
> away in the last few weeks, so it's more like winter
> into spring. Finally.- Hide quoted text -

I assume you mean the SFBA? Whereabout are you? Me, near 101 X 92.

We used to have a pretty large contingent here.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"RegForte" > wrote in message
>I haven't done any dry aging since the holidays, and last night
> I suddenly got a craving for it. Got an 11 lb top loin
> set up in the fridge at the moment. Humidity was a bit low at
> 35% so I filled a half sheet with water and put that in.
> Brought it up to 60% or so, which is just about right. Should
> be ready in a week. Half will get done in the WSM, the rest
> will end up as steaks on the grill.
>
> At the moment there's a pork tenderloin in the cookshack
> which should be ready by dinnertime.
>
> All this sunshine is making me want meat.

What's a good "how to do it" site for dry aging techniques?

ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 14, 3:11*pm, "Theron" > wrote:
> "RegForte" > wrote in message
>
> ...>I haven't done any dry aging since the holidays, and last night
> > I suddenly got a craving for it. Got an 11 lb top loin
> > set up in the fridge at the moment. Humidity was a bit low at
> > 35% so I filled a half sheet with water and put that in.
> > Brought it up to 60% or so, which is just about right. Should
> > be ready in a week. Half will get done in the WSM, the rest
> > will end up as steaks on the grill.

> > At the moment there's a pork tenderloin in the cookshack
> > which should be ready by dinnertime.

> > All this sunshine is making me want meat.

> What's a good "how to do it" site for dry aging techniques?
>
> ed

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Duwop" > wrote in message
On Aug 14, 3:11 pm, "Theron" > wrote:
> "RegForte" > wrote in message
>
> ...>I haven't done any dry
> aging since the holidays, and last night
> > I suddenly got a craving for it. Got an 11 lb top loin
> > set up in the fridge at the moment. Humidity was a bit low at
> > 35% so I filled a half sheet with water and put that in.
> > Brought it up to 60% or so, which is just about right. Should
> > be ready in a week. Half will get done in the WSM, the rest
> > will end up as steaks on the grill.

> > At the moment there's a pork tenderloin in the cookshack
> > which should be ready by dinnertime.

> > All this sunshine is making me want meat.

> What's a good "how to do it" site for dry aging techniques?
>
> ed

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

I'm interested in a site that Reg would recommend.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 14-Aug-2009, Duwop > wrote:

> On Aug 14, 3:11*pm, "Theron" > wrote:
> > "RegForte" > wrote in message
> >
> > ...>I haven't done any dry
> > aging since the holidays, and last night
> > > I suddenly got a craving for it. Got an 11 lb top loin
> > > set up in the fridge at the moment. Humidity was a bit low at
> > > 35% so I filled a half sheet with water and put that in.
> > > Brought it up to 60% or so, which is just about right. Should
> > > be ready in a week. Half will get done in the WSM, the rest
> > > will end up as steaks on the grill.

> > > At the moment there's a pork tenderloin in the cookshack
> > > which should be ready by dinnertime.

> > > All this sunshine is making me want meat.

> > What's a good "how to do it" site for dry aging techniques?
> >
> > ed

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Heh, heh, heh. You're bad Duwop. Who would have ever thought to use
googel?

--
Brick said that.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:11:17 -0700, Theron wrote:

> What's a good "how to do it" site for dry aging techniques?

Just hang it up in your magic garage!

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:

> What's a good "how to do it" site for dry aging techniques?
>
> ed

Ed,

Last time I checked a few years ago, there weren't any.
Them only thing I found was some good info about using UV
lighting for aging but even that's now gone. Maybe the
situation has changed by now and someone can make a
recommendation.

I've gotten the info mostly by talking to commercial
producers who were generous with their information. One
online source of info was the late Bob Pastorio.
Here is one of his more comprehensive posts on the subject.

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/b5d392099c351011?hl=en>

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:

> On Aug 13, 9:20 pm, RegForte > wrote:
>

>>Thing is, here in the bay area we've been waiting for the
>>sun to come out since last year. They grey finally went
>>away in the last few weeks, so it's more like winter
>>into spring. Finally.- Hide quoted text -

> I assume you mean the SFBA? Whereabout are you? Me, near 101 X 92.
>
> We used to have a pretty large contingent here.

Yep. I live on the west end of SF by the ocean.

Speaking of which, think I'll go jump in now. It's
beautiful out there...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"RegForte" > wrote in message
>I haven't done any dry aging since the holidays, and last night
> I suddenly got a craving for it. Got an 11 lb top loin
> set up in the fridge at the moment. Humidity was a bit low at
> 35% so I filled a half sheet with water and put that in.
> Brought it up to 60% or so, which is just about right. Should
> be ready in a week. Half will get done in the WSM, the rest
> will end up as steaks on the grill.
>
> At the moment there's a pork tenderloin in the cookshack
> which should be ready by dinnertime.
>
> All this sunshine is making me want meat.

How much weight of the 11lb loin will be lost at the end of the aging
period? Do you use % of weight loss as a stopping point? Have you aged for
two weeks? How much trimming of surface meat do you have to do? What net
weight do you expect to end up with?
Thanks,

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 15, 11:07*am, RegForte > wrote:
> Duwop wrote:
> > On Aug 13, 9:20 pm, RegForte > wrote:

> >>Thing is, here in the bay area we've been waiting for the
> >>sun to come out since last year. They grey finally went
> >>away in the last few weeks, so it's more like winter
> >>into spring. Finally.- Hide quoted text -

> > I assume you mean the SFBA? Whereabout are you? Me, near 101 X 92.

> > We used to have a pretty large contingent here.

> Yep. I live on the west end of SF by the ocean.
>
> Speaking of which, think I'll go jump in now. It's
> beautiful out there...

Ocean beach is safe to swim this year? Good stuff, glad to hear it. I
don't particularly like swimming so close to the Farralons, especially
since that time I spotted a shark in a wave swell a couple of years
ago (looked like it was body surfing inside the wave almost) so
usually drive south a little way.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:

> How much weight of the 11lb loin will be lost at the end of the aging period?

The yield range is about 80% on the low end and 90% on the high
end. The factors involved are

1> Environment

The lower the humidity of the environment, the safer process (bacteria
likes and needs water), but, you will also have to trim much
more and will therefore end up with a lower yield. So you want to
go as high as you safely can and no higher with the relative humidity.
I would suggest no higher than the 60-70% RH range to be safe.

One common misconception is that dry aged beef is a matter of
creating green mold and slime, but this is not true (I can't tell
you how many people have made this comment at gatherings when
they find out dry aged beef is being served). Modern methods
do not allow for this. Any sign of growth is unacceptable.

2> Duration

The longer you go, the drier the result, and the more "unpalatable"
dry and crusty outer surface will have to be trimmed off.

3> Usage

Normally dry aged beef is cooked with a dry method, usually
steaks. If you're cooking a steak you'll have to trim more
of the surface to get the right look and texture.

However, there's no reason why you can't use dry age beef for
a stew or braise. Yes, I know that's unusual, but the results are
great. Although you get the most incremental result from aging
higher quality cuts, I've dry aged almost every type of cut.
I do it because I have a dedicated fridge so aging is easy,
and I always end up with at least a marginally better product.

Anyway, if you're going to cook with a wet method a drier
surface is less of an issue so less trimming is required.

> Do you use % of weight loss as a stopping point?

No. I don't weigh the cut as I'm aging it. I do weigh it
before cooking as a data point but it's mostly for reference.

> Have you aged for two weeks?

That's the maximum I will go, as a matter of fact. With proper
sanitation and technique that's a safe point, and I've found that
the law of diminishing returns has pretty much set in by then.

One of the things that concerns me about the dry aging info out in
webland from non-professionals is the braggadocio about aging
for a long, long time, six weeks or more. I think that's silly
and dangerous. It certainly doesn't produce a better result.

> How much trimming of surface meat do you have to do? What net weight do
> you expect to end up with?

Whole cuts aged for up to one week often need little or no trimming
at all. By two weeks most of the surface will need at least some
trimming. Between water loss and trimming I usually end up with an
85% yield, give or take.

In addition to what Pastorio said, you can also hang the meat from
cotton string, as an alternative to using racks. I prefer racks bacause
there's less setup and fiddling involved.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:

> Ocean beach is safe to swim this year? Good stuff, glad to hear it. I
> don't particularly like swimming so close to the Farralons, especially
> since that time I spotted a shark in a wave swell a couple of years
> ago (looked like it was body surfing inside the wave almost) so
> usually drive south a little way.

It's only a problem if he turns his head and gives you a biiiigggg smile.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:

> Ocean beach is safe to swim this year? Good stuff, glad to hear it. I
> don't particularly like swimming so close to the Farralons, especially
> since that time I spotted a shark in a wave swell a couple of years
> ago (looked like it was body surfing inside the wave almost) so
> usually drive south a little way.

You sure that wasn't a dolphin you saw? Raked fin vs triangular, etc.
In many years of cruising around the breakers I've only seen a
real shark once. Dolphins abound though.

So, given your location, do you make it over to half moon bay? You
can get seasonal live fish right on the docks.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte wrote:
> Duwop wrote:

<SNIPALITTLE>

> You sure that wasn't a dolphin you saw? Raked fin vs triangular, etc.
> In many years of cruising around the breakers I've only seen a
> real shark once. Dolphins abound though.

Just north of SFBA is a place called Tomales Bay, where GW's abound.
There is a lot of dolphins both in the bay and along the coast, but when
I'm at the beach a fin gets me dry every time.

Dave T.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 15, 4:49*pm, RegForte > wrote:
> Duwop wrote:
> > Ocean beach is safe to swim this year? Good stuff, glad to hear it. I
> > don't particularly like swimming so close to the Farralons, especially
> > since that time I spotted a shark in a wave swell a couple of years
> > ago (looked like it was body surfing inside the wave almost) so
> > usually drive south a little way.

> You sure that wasn't a dolphin you saw? Raked fin vs triangular, etc.

Pretty sure it was shark, it was a pectoral fin I saw, and it was
biiiig, I was thinking white. But hell, could be wrong, didn't have
that long a look.
Have had sea lions pop up near me and that didn't bother me any, well,
no more than sane anyway, don't try to get closer to em and gently
swim away. Still cool.

> In many years of cruising around the breakers I've only seen a
> real shark once. Dolphins abound though.

Can't say I've seen any dolphins in the breakers. It could have been
that time. You've been surf casting a lot haven't you?

> So, given your location, do you make it over to half moon bay? You
> can get seasonal live fish right on the docks.

Yep, not too often though, it's an easy enough drive on a weekend but
still an hour round trip. Used to be great when there was still a
salmon season. There's a restraunt at the harbor makes some fine fish
n chips.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> [...]

> the law of diminishing returns has pretty much set in by then.
>
> One of the things that concerns me about the dry aging info out in
> webland from non-professionals is the braggadocio about aging
> for a long, long time, six weeks or more. I think that's silly
> and dangerous. It certainly doesn't produce a better result.
>
>> How much trimming of surface meat do you have to do? What net weight do
>> you expect to end up with?

> Whole cuts aged for up to one week often need little or no trimming
> at all. By two weeks most of the surface will need at least some
> trimming. Between water loss and trimming I usually end up with an
> 85% yield, give or take.
>
> In addition to what Pastorio said, you can also hang the meat from
> cotton string, as an alternative to using racks. I prefer racks bacause
> there's less setup and fiddling involved.

Reg, thanks very much.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Duwop wrote:
>
>> On Aug 13, 9:20 pm, RegForte > wrote:
>>

>>>Thing is, here in the bay area we've been waiting for the
>>>sun to come out since last year. They grey finally went
>>>away in the last few weeks, so it's more like winter
>>>into spring. Finally.- Hide quoted text -

>> I assume you mean the SFBA? Whereabout are you? Me, near 101 X 92.
>>
>> We used to have a pretty large contingent here.

> Yep. I live on the west end of SF by the ocean.
>
> Speaking of which, think I'll go jump in now. It's
> beautiful out there...

Reg, in the Bay Area where is the best place to buy vac packed beef,
obviously at the best price? Have you been to Pringle's
http://www.insiderpages.com/b/15238798905 ? We've purchased lard and suet
there. Have you ever purchased meat at "Smart and Final"? They have full
briskets at good prices.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 15, 7:42*pm, "Theron" > wrote:

> Reg, in the Bay Area where is the best place to buy vac packed beef,

Reg, where can I get brains?

Reg, where can I get a heart?

Reg where can I get a clue?

Kent, STFU already.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 15, 7:34*pm, "Theron" > wrote:

> Reg, thanks very much.

You ought to thank him.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:

> Reg, in the Bay Area where is the best place to buy vac packed beef,
> obviously at the best price? Have you been to Pringle's
> http://www.insiderpages.com/b/15238798905 ? We've purchased lard and suet
> there. Have you ever purchased meat at "Smart and Final"? They have full
> briskets at good prices.
>
> Ed

Ed,

If you have a resale licence, or you feel like getting one, you'll
want to try this place. In SF they're near army st:

http://www.restaurantdepot.com/

Great prices and quality. Better than costco. Always my first
choice for vac packed beef and pork.

I normally only go to retail places for specialty items, in which
case my preferences a

http://guerrameats.com/default.aspx

They also have hard to find things like sausage casings.

and, in a pinch I'll go here, cause the quality and service is
great. It's not cheap though:

<http://www.yelp.com/biz/bryans-quality-meats-san-francisco>
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:

>>So, given your location, do you make it over to half moon bay? You
>>can get seasonal live fish right on the docks.

> Yep, not too often though, it's an easy enough drive on a weekend but
> still an hour round trip. Used to be great when there was still a
> salmon season. There's a restraunt at the harbor makes some fine fish
> n chips.

Yeah, the west coast salmon thing is a shame.

One of the best catches at HMB now is the Halibut these days during
the spring. You can get them there up to around 40 lbs.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:54:10 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:

> On Aug 15, 7:42*pm, "Theron" > wrote:
>
>> Reg, in the Bay Area where is the best place to buy vac packed beef,

> Reg, where can I get brains?

I'm pretty sure mature beef brains are not allowed to be sold for
human consumption. I think veal brains are legal.

Both of them are on a small list of foods I have never eaten. I
have had pork brains. Not much to them, really. Except
cholesterol.

[yes, I know you really weren't looking for them. In Kent's case,
he's under the mistaken assumption that *all* brains are illegal]

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:52:01 -0700, RegForte wrote:

> Ed,

You're trying to humor him with that salutation, right? ;-)

> If you have a resale licence, or you feel like getting one, you'll
> want to try this place. In SF they're near army st:
>
> http://www.restaurantdepot.com/

Would I be able to use my employers resale certificate even if it's
not a restaurant/food-related corporation?

I'd like to order some Kronos gyro meat through Sysco or Ben
Keith...

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 00:28:40 -0500, Sqwertz
> wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:52:01 -0700, RegForte wrote:
>

>> Ed,
>>

>You're trying to humor him with that salutation, right? ;-)
>
>> If you have a resale licence, or you feel like getting one, you'll
>> want to try this place. In SF they're near army st:
>>
>> http://www.restaurantdepot.com/

>Would I be able to use my employers resale certificate even if it's
>not a restaurant/food-related corporation?
>
>I'd like to order some Kronos gyro meat through Sysco or Ben
>Keith...
>
>-sw

Huh. It might depend on the lingo on the resale certificate. In
Washington state, the certificate states that the buyer is buying it
for resale, or as a component of something he's building for sale
(roughly paraphrased).

So I'd think that a building contractor, say, might have trouble if
he's audited and he bought beef and used a resale certificate for it.
;-)

Just my thoughts, but I'm certainly no lawyer or accountant.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 22:37:16 -0700, Desideria wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 00:28:40 -0500, Sqwertz
> > wrote:
>
>>Would I be able to use my employers resale certificate even if it's
>>not a restaurant/food-related corporation?
>>
>>I'd like to order some Kronos gyro meat through Sysco or Ben
>>Keith...

> Huh. It might depend on the lingo on the resale certificate. In
> Washington state, the certificate states that the buyer is buying it
> for resale, or as a component of something he's building for sale
> (roughly paraphrased).
>
> So I'd think that a building contractor, say, might have trouble if
> he's audited and he bought beef and used a resale certificate for it.
> ;-)
>
> Just my thoughts, but I'm certainly no lawyer or accountant.

You usually have the option of paying sales tax at the register even
if you have a certificate.

The name of my company I work for actually does have the word "lamb"
in it, so it shouldn't be too suspicious my buying a lamb-based meat
product, right? <snork> (No, I'm *not* joking about the "lamb"
part ;-) And we do happen to own a concession trailer w/grill and
smoker for in-house use.

It's a really odd smoker - I'll have to take pictures of it. It
looks like a Bandera on steroids, but the chambers are reversed -
your fire box is in the upright and you smoke in the barrel (just
like an offset. But the majority of the upright section is only used
for warming/holding; It gets no smoke or radiant heat. I don't
think that "feature" is very useful. Your meat is either smoking or
it's done.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 22:37:16 -0700, Desideria wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 00:28:40 -0500, Sqwertz
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Would I be able to use my employers resale certificate even if it's
>>>not a restaurant/food-related corporation?
>>>
>>>I'd like to order some Kronos gyro meat through Sysco or Ben
>>>Keith...

>> Huh. It might depend on the lingo on the resale certificate. In
>> Washington state, the certificate states that the buyer is buying it
>> for resale, or as a component of something he's building for sale
>> (roughly paraphrased).
>>
>> So I'd think that a building contractor, say, might have trouble if
>> he's audited and he bought beef and used a resale certificate for it.
>> ;-)
>>
>> Just my thoughts, but I'm certainly no lawyer or accountant.

> You usually have the option of paying sales tax at the register even
> if you have a certificate.

If you have a resale license you need to submit sales tax returns. there is
a spot on the return for "use tax", i.e. items not sold at retail but
consumed in your business.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 06:55:04 -0700, "Wallace"
> wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 22:37:16 -0700, Desideria wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 00:28:40 -0500, Sqwertz

>>> Huh. It might depend on the lingo on the resale certificate. In
>>> Washington state, the certificate states that the buyer is buying it
>>> for resale, or as a component of something he's building for sale
>>> (roughly paraphrased).
>>>
>>> So I'd think that a building contractor, say, might have trouble if
>>> he's audited and he bought beef and used a resale certificate for it.
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> Just my thoughts, but I'm certainly no lawyer or accountant.

>> You usually have the option of paying sales tax at the register even
>> if you have a certificate.

>If you have a resale license you need to submit sales tax returns. there is
>a spot on the return for "use tax", i.e. items not sold at retail but
>consumed in your business.

Good point. I'd forgotten about that, but when I was running my tiny
little business here, I was 'consuming' items that I would normally
have resold had I not given them as gifts.

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Theron wrote:
>
>> Reg, in the Bay Area where is the best place to buy vac packed beef,
>> obviously at the best price? Have you been to Pringle's
>> http://www.insiderpages.com/b/15238798905 ? We've purchased lard and
>> suet there. Have you ever purchased meat at "Smart and Final"? They have
>> full briskets at good prices.
>>
>> Ed

> Ed,
>
> If you have a resale licence, or you feel like getting one, you'll
> want to try this place. In SF they're near army st:
>
> http://www.restaurantdepot.com/
>
> Great prices and quality. Better than costco. Always my first
> choice for vac packed beef and pork.
>
> I normally only go to retail places for specialty items, in which
> case my preferences a
>
> http://guerrameats.com/default.aspx
>
> They also have hard to find things like sausage casings.
>
> and, in a pinch I'll go here, cause the quality and service is
> great. It's not cheap though:
>
> <http://www.yelp.com/biz/bryans-quality-meats-san-francisco>

I'd agree, Bryans is pretty pricey. Do you have an opinion about Cash and
Carry? http://www.yelp.com/biz/cash-and-carry-san-francisco.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> I'd agree, Bryans is pretty pricey. Do you have an opinion about...

Is sarcasm is only $.05, then opinions must be running about $100
this week.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:52:01 -0700, RegForte wrote:
>

>>Ed,
>>

> You're trying to humor him with that salutation, right? ;-)

Wink wink - nudge nudge

>>If you have a resale licence, or you feel like getting one, you'll
>>want to try this place. In SF they're near army st:
>>
>>http://www.restaurantdepot.com/

> Would I be able to use my employers resale certificate even if it's
> not a restaurant/food-related corporation?
>
> I'd like to order some Kronos gyro meat through Sysco or Ben
> Keith...

Yes!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:

> I'd agree, Bryans is pretty pricey. Do you have an opinion about Cash and
> Carry? http://www.yelp.com/biz/cash-and-carry-san-francisco.
>
> Ed

Ed,

I use them once in awhile. Usually when I only need a piece or two
and don't feel like crossing the city to Restaurant Depot. For anything
in case quantity I always make the long drive to RD.

Search carefully. Most of the beef is select, but there are often
a few choice grades hidden in there. And I have yet to find anyone
at cash-and-carry/smart-and-final that understands the difference,
including the employees.