Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default CostCo Pork

I've been buying my pork at the HEB for the most part and haven't
bought much CostCo pork for ... ages.

Today I bought one of those two-packs of boneless butts to make
Hatch green chile stew (yes - tis Hatch season again - first batch
hit the streets last week).

I rubbed down one of the butts with a simple rub and threw it in the
oven for 3 hours (precursor to cubing it and stewing it the rest of
the way).

It was great pork. I haven't tasted pork that good for a while.
I'm used to the random packer butts at the mainline grocery store,
but the CostCo pork was markedly better.

So the moral of the story is - Buy CostCo Pork if you have access to
it. Much better than I was getting accustomed to. I'm glad I
rediscovered it after all these years.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> I've been buying my pork at the HEB for the most part and haven't
> bought much CostCo pork for ... ages.
>
> Today I bought one of those two-packs of boneless butts to make
> Hatch green chile stew (yes - tis Hatch season again - first batch
> hit the streets last week).
>
> I rubbed down one of the butts with a simple rub and threw it in the
> oven for 3 hours (precursor to cubing it and stewing it the rest of
> the way).
>
> It was great pork. I haven't tasted pork that good for a while.
> I'm used to the random packer butts at the mainline grocery store,
> but the CostCo pork was markedly better.
>
> So the moral of the story is - Buy CostCo Pork if you have access to
> it. Much better than I was getting accustomed to. I'm glad I
> rediscovered it after all these years.
>
> -sw

I Q'd 2 Costco boneless butts weekend before last, and they were
excellent. I also found that they cook MUCH faster than the bone-in
variety usually does. They averaged 8# each, and cooked in 7 hours at
225-240°F.

Dave T.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 19:21:03 -0700, "Dave T." >
wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>> I've been buying my pork at the HEB for the most part and haven't
>> bought much CostCo pork for ... ages.
>>
>> Today I bought one of those two-packs of boneless butts to make
>> Hatch green chile stew (yes - tis Hatch season again - first batch
>> hit the streets last week).
>>
>> I rubbed down one of the butts with a simple rub and threw it in the
>> oven for 3 hours (precursor to cubing it and stewing it the rest of
>> the way).
>>
>> It was great pork. I haven't tasted pork that good for a while.
>> I'm used to the random packer butts at the mainline grocery store,
>> but the CostCo pork was markedly better.
>>
>> So the moral of the story is - Buy CostCo Pork if you have access to
>> it. Much better than I was getting accustomed to. I'm glad I
>> rediscovered it after all these years.
>>
>> -sw

>I Q'd 2 Costco boneless butts weekend before last, and they were
>excellent. I also found that they cook MUCH faster than the bone-in
>variety usually does. They averaged 8# each, and cooked in 7 hours at
>225-240°F.

Bought a couple racks of spares from Costco a couple mo. ago--they
were the best ribs I've done. Got some from the local 'standby' store
3 or so weeks back--no comparison. I'll use up what I have left--was
a frozen pack of 3 cryovacs--and then it'll be Costco ribs again.

--
-denny-

Some people are offence kleptomaniacs -- whenever they see
an offence that isn't nailed down, they take it ;-)
--David C. Pugh, in alt.callahans

Know the signs!
http://www.heartinfo.org/ms/guides/9/main.html
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 16, 12:21*pm, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

> Bought a couple racks of spares from Costco a couple mo. ago--they
> were the best ribs I've done. *Got some from the local 'standby' store
> 3 or so weeks back--no comparison. *I'll use up what I have left--was
> a frozen pack of 3 cryovacs--and then it'll be Costco ribs again.

Big meaty suckers aren't they. (from Costco)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 19:21:03 -0700, "Dave T." >
> wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

<Snip>

>>> -sw

>> I Q'd 2 Costco boneless butts weekend before last, and they were
>> excellent. I also found that they cook MUCH faster than the bone-in
>> variety usually does. They averaged 8# each, and cooked in 7 hours at
>> 225-240°F.

> Bought a couple racks of spares from Costco a couple mo. ago--they
> were the best ribs I've done. Got some from the local 'standby' store
> 3 or so weeks back--no comparison. I'll use up what I have left--was
> a frozen pack of 3 cryovacs--and then it'll be Costco ribs again.

I like the ribs from Sam's, only because they compare in quality, but
are usually a little cheaper.

Dave T.