Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Salt Lick BBQ- Bergstrom Airport, Austin

After visiting the family, my wife and I arrived at Bergstrom in
plenty of time to grab supper before our flight out this past
Sunday. To my dismay, Harlon's Barbecue in the airport was
closed- presumably for Sunday. Despite myriad other places like a
pretty decent Chinese takeout place and numerous sandwich shops,
the wife wanted to give Salt Lick yet another try. To say our
meals were disappointing would be to compliment them. She had the
hot link sandwich, while I had the turkey sandwich.

Our trip to Austin followed a pretty normal itinerary: Catfish
Parlor, County Line and Rudy's, and we had looked forward to
finishing up at Harlon's. While Harlon's isn't as good, IMHO, as
County Line or Rudy's, it's better than most airport fare.

Both our sandwiches ($9 and $10 for bare sandwiches) were served
on oversized sesame seed rolls, slathered in a sauce that can best
be described as Karo syrup mixed with mustard. The two flavors
were sweet and mustard, and it was as terrible as the meats they
had tried to cover up. I've had Danny Gauldin's sauce, and
understand that for a mustard sauce, it's considered the best.
However, even his sauce just isn't what I consider to be good
barbecue sauce: I prefer the KC tomato based variety or a vinegar
topping, like found in KC. IMHO, plain Hunt's ketchup would have
been better than the Karo syrup/mustard gunk they serve at Salt
Lick.

The undersized portion of hot link was similar to half about an
Andoullie sausage found in a grocery store, and when I tried a
bite, I could not detect any smoky flavor. The turkey was so dry
that despite the Karo syrup drench, I felt like I could make a
cloud of turkey dust, had I sneezed or coughed.

One of the things I pointed out to the bride, as we were trying to
choke down the sandwiches, was that we were the only customers.
The adjoining Schlotsky's had a line of at least 25 people waiting
to give them an order, and other places had a
smaller-but-still-substantial group of patrons. Salt Lick's
"fame" had obviously spread among the Bergstrom airport passengers
and flight crews.

They have a place here in Las Vegas- out at Sunset Station- as I
recall, but I've not really heard anything complimentary about the
place. Here, we have Memphis Championship Barbecue in several
locations, and we really prefer their food to what we would
anticipate at Salt Lick.

As I told Mrs. Nonny as we were departing Salt Lick, "Never
again."
--
Nonny

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up
in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it.
If it keeps moving, regulate it.
If it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Nonny said:
>
> <sad story clipped>
>
> Nonny! *Never* order barbecue in airports!
>
> Think about when you ever saw a smoketsack in an airport. It's been
> cooked elsewhere, packed, frozen, thawed, microwaved, and served for
> your dining misery. Best case, it's cooked elsewhere, dragged across
> town, and sits in a steam table all day.
>
> Next time get the Asian carryout.

I just take granola bars and occasionally a PB&J. Cold pizza also
works, but resist the urge to ask airport security to "run it back
through a few times to warm it up."

There is no law against taking BBQ with you. Actually on my next
trip I will be taking the leftover brisket and a hard roll.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"DougW" > wrote:
> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> > Nonny said:
> >
> > <sad story clipped>
> >
> > Nonny! *Never* order barbecue in airports!
> >
> > Think about when you ever saw a smoketsack in an airport. It's been
> > cooked elsewhere, packed, frozen, thawed, microwaved, and served for
> > your dining misery. Best case, it's cooked elsewhere, dragged across
> > town, and sits in a steam table all day.
> >
> > Next time get the Asian carryout.

> I just take granola bars and occasionally a PB&J. Cold pizza also
> works, but resist the urge to ask airport security to "run it back
> through a few times to warm it up."
>
> There is no law against taking BBQ with you. Actually on my next
> trip I will be taking the leftover brisket and a hard roll.

I just go to the bar. My USMC "First to Fight for Right and Freedom" cap
always starts a conversation and I often get comped on my drinks. I do tip
well. ;-))) The only food I eat on flights is Vodka and orange juice.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "DougW" > wrote:
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>>> Nonny said:
>>>
>>> <sad story clipped>
>>>
>>> Nonny! *Never* order barbecue in airports!
>>>
>>> Think about when you ever saw a smoketsack in an airport. It's been
>>> cooked elsewhere, packed, frozen, thawed, microwaved, and served for
>>> your dining misery. Best case, it's cooked elsewhere, dragged across
>>> town, and sits in a steam table all day.
>>>
>>> Next time get the Asian carryout.

>> I just take granola bars and occasionally a PB&J. Cold pizza also
>> works, but resist the urge to ask airport security to "run it back
>> through a few times to warm it up."
>>
>> There is no law against taking BBQ with you. Actually on my next
>> trip I will be taking the leftover brisket and a hard roll.

> I just go to the bar. My USMC "First to Fight for Right and Freedom" cap
> always starts a conversation and I often get comped on my drinks. I do tip
> well. ;-))) The only food I eat on flights is Vodka and orange juice.

Smart man... skip the water from the questionable tank.
I normally have tomato juice, the Vodka is added if I upgraded.
Sometimes if I am feeling squirrelly, I'll skip the tomato juice, and go
straight for the bloody mary mix. The flight attendant will give me the
"weird" eye, but who cares. For food, I normally take a couple of ham &
cheese with butter sandwiches. I do that even on the upgraded flights so
I know I will not go hungry even on the provided flights. A good ham &
cheese should not be under appreciated.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...
> Nonny said:
>
> <sad story clipped>
>
> Nonny! *Never* order barbecue in airports!
>
> Think about when you ever saw a smoketsack in an airport. It's
> been cooked
> elsewhere, packed, frozen, thawed, microwaved, and served for
> your dining
> misery. Best case, it's cooked elsewhere, dragged across town,
> and sits in a
> steam table all day.
>
> Next time get the Asian carryout.

Thanks, Marty and the others who posted. I was a road warrior at
one time and had the airline miles to prove it. I understand
airport food, but had gotten some actually good food at Harlon's
there at the airport, as well as the Chinese place. We'd been
burned at Salt Lick several times before, but Mrs. Nonny had hopes
that this time would be different. I wasn't too hungry, so went
along with it. As previously stated: Never again at any Salt
Lick (so called) Barbeque.

BTW, the KC Masterpiece (in A terminal?) at MCI had some pretty
decent ribs at one time. Are they still there?

--
Nonny

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up
in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it.
If it keeps moving, regulate it.
If it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 30 Jul 2009 01:42:26 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:

> The only food I eat on flights is Vodka and orange juice.

Can of Bloody Mary Mix and a full glass of ice. And some Stroh 80.

-sw