Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default What I did yesterday:

I put a brisket on yesterday, without any sort of rub at all. I think it was
in the smoker for about 4 hours, then I put it in the oven at 225-250 for
another 4 hours or so. It came out pretty nice, but the flat needed more
time than I was willing to give. I didn't miss having rub on there one bit.
I was curious as to how it would turn out, and it was fine!

While the brisket was in the smoker, I put together some bacon explosions
and threw them in when I put the brisket in the oven:

http://picasaweb.google.com/vexicon/...eat=directlink

--

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"vex" > wrote in message
>I put a brisket on yesterday, without any sort of rub at all. I think it
>was in the smoker for about 4 hours, then I put it in the oven at 225-250
>for another 4 hours or so. It came out pretty nice, but the flat needed
>more time than I was willing to give. I didn't miss having rub on there one
>bit. I was curious as to how it would turn out, and it was fine!
>
> While the brisket was in the smoker, I put together some bacon explosions
> and threw them in when I put the brisket in the oven:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/vexicon/...eat=directlink
> -- --Brett

Thats great, glad you found this fact out. I will apply seasoning and
marinade but sometimes I feel we can go too far from what the basic meat
taste is. You didn't say how long or if you let the meat rest before
cutting. I have found that I prefer to wrap in foil and keep in a igloo
until the next day for the juiciest most tender and most flavorful meat.
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

piedmont wrote:
> "vex" > wrote in message
>> I put a brisket on yesterday, without any sort of rub at all. I
>> think it was in the smoker for about 4 hours, then I put it in the
>> oven at 225-250 for another 4 hours or so. It came out pretty nice,
>> but the flat needed more time than I was willing to give. I didn't
>> miss having rub on there one bit. I was curious as to how it would
>> turn out, and it was fine! While the brisket was in the smoker, I put
>> together some bacon
>> explosions and threw them in when I put the brisket in the oven:
>>
>> http://picasaweb.google.com/vexicon/...eat=directlink
>> -- --Brett

> Thats great, glad you found this fact out. I will apply seasoning and
> marinade but sometimes I feel we can go too far from what the basic
> meat taste is. You didn't say how long or if you let the meat rest
> before cutting. I have found that I prefer to wrap in foil and keep
> in a igloo until the next day for the juiciest most tender and most
> flavorful meat. piedmont

I left the brisket wrapped in foil overnight, just sitting on the counter.
It was still warm and juicy this morning. I sampled it before I cut it into
smaller pieces to fit in the fridge. I'll probably get out the slicer
tonight, slice it nice and thin, then vaccum pack it all in individual
servings to freeze. Except for about a pound of it. That's going into some
bbq beans.
I haven't decided how to make them yet, but I'll probably just let some
pinto beans crockpot cook in water or beef stock overnight tonight, then add
onion, molasses, mustard, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, maybe some ketchup,
and the chopped burnt ends and brisket, then let it cook again for a couple
of hours, and take it to a picnic on Saturday.

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:

> While the brisket was in the smoker, I put together some bacon explosions
> and threw them in when I put the brisket in the oven:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/vexicon/...eat=directlink

I had to look this one up. Pretty cool. I like the way you added
mozzerella. We don't see much innovative stuff here on afb
anymore.

Did you put any smoke on it?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte wrote:
> vex wrote:
>
>> While the brisket was in the smoker, I put together some bacon
>> explosions and threw them in when I put the brisket in the oven:
>>
>> http://picasaweb.google.com/vexicon/...eat=directlink
>>

> I had to look this one up. Pretty cool. I like the way you added
> mozzerella. We don't see much innovative stuff here on afb
> anymore.
>
> Did you put any smoke on it?

Yep, I had them in the smoker for around 2 hours, using mesquite and cherry.
I also put in the leftover bacon for 15-20 minutes and had some of it on
hamburgers for dinner. Wunnerful stuff...

--

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"vex" > wrote in
:

> While the brisket was in the smoker, I put together some bacon
> explosions and threw them in when I put the brisket in the oven:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/vexicon/...eat=directlink

I love those.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:

> I left the brisket wrapped in foil overnight, just sitting on the
> counter. It was still warm and juicy this morning.

Not a good idea, Brett. Next time, take the surface temp of the meat; if it
is less than 140F I wouldn't use it.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:
> piedmont wrote:
>> "vex" > wrote in message
>>> I put a brisket on yesterday, without any sort of rub at all. I
>>> think it was in the smoker for about 4 hours, then I put it in the
>>> oven at 225-250 for another 4 hours or so. It came out pretty nice,
>>> but the flat needed more time than I was willing to give. I didn't
>>> miss having rub on there one bit. I was curious as to how it would
>>> turn out, and it was fine! While the brisket was in the smoker, I put
>>> together some bacon
>>> explosions and threw them in when I put the brisket in the oven:
>>>
>>> http://picasaweb.google.com/vexicon/...eat=directlink
>>> -- --Brett

>> Thats great, glad you found this fact out. I will apply seasoning and
>> marinade but sometimes I feel we can go too far from what the basic
>> meat taste is. You didn't say how long or if you let the meat rest
>> before cutting. I have found that I prefer to wrap in foil and keep
>> in a igloo until the next day for the juiciest most tender and most
>> flavorful meat. piedmont

> I left the brisket wrapped in foil overnight, just sitting on the counter.
> It was still warm and juicy this morning. I sampled it before I cut it into
> smaller pieces to fit in the fridge. I'll probably get out the slicer
> tonight, slice it nice and thin, then vaccum pack it all in individual
> servings to freeze. Except for about a pound of it. That's going into some
> bbq beans.
> I haven't decided how to make them yet, but I'll probably just let some
> pinto beans crockpot cook in water or beef stock overnight tonight, then add
> onion, molasses, mustard, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, maybe some ketchup,
> and the chopped burnt ends and brisket, then let it cook again for a couple
> of hours, and take it to a picnic on Saturday.
>

> --Brett

I'd have to echo Dave's comment. Luke warm conditions is a good medium
to grow things that could make you wish to die without a lethal dose of
the cause.

Just saying. I had a touch of food poisoning once. I'd rather sign away
my first born than go through that again. $20 worth of meat is not worth
it. Sure, it may still be okay. But is $20 worth it?

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> It sounds great, but please be careful about holding temps. If you get under
> 140 for an extended period, no matter what anybody says about just coming
> out of a cooker or staying wrapped or whatever, you're at risk of harmful
> bacteria developing in the food. That's why a cooler, even cheap styro, is a
> better way to hold wrapped barbecue. In fact, cheap thick wall styro coolers
> like they ship medicine in hold temp better than anything I know of
> including the professional stuff.
>
> MartyB in KC

We use Omaha Steak shipping crates. Very thick walled and
work well.

Craig
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"vex" > wrote in message
snip
> I left the brisket wrapped in foil overnight, just sitting on the counter.
> It was still warm and juicy this morning. I sampled it before I cut it
> into smaller pieces to fit in the fridge. I'll probably get out the slicer
> tonight, slice it nice and thin, then vaccum pack it all in individual
> servings to freeze. Except for about a pound of it. That's going into some
> bbq beans.

snip
> --Brett

I wouldn't recommend leaving on the counter as the temp may drop too low. If
you wrap in foil, put it in one of those round/orange igloo coolers, put
some newspaper in bottom to soak up any spillage plus insulate the plastic
on the cooler bottom from warpping then stick in wrapped brisket, then
lightly lay on top enough towels to take up empty air space and your brisket
should stay hot and in a safe holding temp zone.
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 07:49:53 -0700, vex wrote:

> I put a brisket on yesterday, without any sort of rub at all. I think it was
> in the smoker for about 4 hours, then I put it in the oven at 225-250 for
> another 4 hours or so. It came out pretty nice, but the flat needed more
> time than I was willing to give. I didn't miss having rub on there one bit.
> I was curious as to how it would turn out, and it was fine!
>
> While the brisket was in the smoker, I put together some bacon explosions
> and threw them in when I put the brisket in the oven:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/vexicon/...eat=directlink

I see myself doing one Explosion here soon, but not 5 of them. What
are you, some sort of freak?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:52:12 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

> vex wrote:
>

>> I left the brisket wrapped in foil overnight, just sitting on the
>> counter. It was still warm and juicy this morning.

> Not a good idea, Brett. Next time, take the surface temp of the meat; if it
> is less than 140F I wouldn't use it.

I would. If it was wrapped well it shouldn't matter too much. If
it was 160F then most nasties were dead and as long as it was
wrapped tightly, not many new nasties could get in there to grow in
that short amount of time.

But I wouldn't serve it to others who may have a lower tolerance for
such things.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:52:12 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> vex wrote:
>>

>>> I left the brisket wrapped in foil overnight, just sitting on the
>>> counter. It was still warm and juicy this morning.

>> Not a good idea, Brett. Next time, take the surface temp of the
>> meat; if it is less than 140F I wouldn't use it.

> I would. If it was wrapped well it shouldn't matter too much. If
> it was 160F then most nasties were dead and as long as it was
> wrapped tightly, not many new nasties could get in there to grow in
> that short amount of time.

Sure they will.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:52:12 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:
> > vex wrote:

> >> I left the brisket wrapped in foil overnight, just sitting on the
> >> counter. It was still warm and juicy this morning.

> > Not a good idea, Brett. Next time, take the surface temp of the meat;
> > if it is less than 140F I wouldn't use it.

> I would. If it was wrapped well it shouldn't matter too much. If
> it was 160F then most nasties were dead and as long as it was
> wrapped tightly, not many new nasties could get in there to grow in
> that short amount of time.
>
> But I wouldn't serve it to others who may have a lower tolerance for
> such things.

What Steve said!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:09:11 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Not a good idea, Brett. Next time, take the surface temp of the
>>> meat; if it is less than 140F I wouldn't use it.

>> I would. If it was wrapped well it shouldn't matter too much. If
>> it was 160F then most nasties were dead and as long as it was
>> wrapped tightly, not many new nasties could get in there to grow in
>> that short amount of time.

> Sure they will.

It's the whole idea behind vacuum packaging and canning. Plenty of
meat (and vegetable) products are canned and have a shelf life of
decades. As long as it's protected from air, then nothing can
happen to it.

Tightly wrapped in foil is not exactly vacuum packaging, but the
idea of keeping it protected from air will allow for longer storage
outside of the danger zone temperatures.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

piedmont wrote:
> "vex" > wrote in message
> snip
>> I left the brisket wrapped in foil overnight, just sitting on the
>> counter. It was still warm and juicy this morning. I sampled it
>> before I cut it into smaller pieces to fit in the fridge. I'll
>> probably get out the slicer tonight, slice it nice and thin, then
>> vaccum pack it all in individual servings to freeze. Except for
>> about a pound of it. That's going into some bbq beans.

> snip
>> --Brett

> I wouldn't recommend leaving on the counter as the temp may drop too
> low. If you wrap in foil, put it in one of those round/orange igloo
> coolers, put some newspaper in bottom to soak up any spillage plus
> insulate the plastic on the cooler bottom from warpping then stick in
> wrapped brisket, then lightly lay on top enough towels to take up
> empty air space and your brisket should stay hot and in a safe
> holding temp zone.

My wife is a restaurant manager, and she's always naggi^H^H^H^H making sure
I follow proper food handling rules. This particular time I figured since
I'd be eating it all myself, and when reheating it will be heated to the
proper temp, it wasn't going to be a big deal. Had I been serving it in a
restaurant, or to visiting guests or other family members, I'd have been
more careful about keeping the temps where they should be. I've had food
poisoning before and you're right, it's not fun at all. But, I'm a pretty
hardy soul and eat all sort of bugs without ill effect these days. I'm not
very worried about my cooked and wrapped beef coming out of the oven at 190
and sitting for 6 or 7 hours when the temp inside the house is 80deg.

FWIW, the point came out really well. I made some sandwiches with it
yesterday. The flat was still a bit tough, it could have stayed in a couple
more hours, easily. I've been thinking about taking the flat and putting it
into my crock pot to slow cook for a few more hours, but I can't decide how
I should handle putting liquid in the crockpot to aid cooking...

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> There are several versions of that heart attack on a plate. There was
> a guy from KC who made national news cooking his version, I think it
> was last Thanksgiving season, or perhaps the year before. He had a
> different name IIRC but I don't recall what it was. I also don't
> think he was using the mozarella or proscuitto. Your's looks
> delicious!
>
> I'm wondering if a little smoked provolone might be an interesting
> ingredient.

I was thinking the same thing as I picked out ingredients. I think the next
time I make some, I'm going to try the provolone, to see if it will give me
a slightly more powerful cheese taste than the mozzarella did.

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> I see myself doing one Explosion here soon, but not 5 of them. What
> are you, some sort of freak?

Heh. Well, I wanted to try out some different variations, and I'll be
managing a couple of meals of a multi-day event with 100+ hungry
motorcyclists. One of the guys that will be there has been living in Cairo
for the last 3 years and hasn't really had much of a chance to eat pork
products, so for the one meal that has Mediterranean cuisine, he's going to
be served an Explosion. I figured since I was doing one for him and one for
myself (It's mostly gone already, throw a slice on a hamburger bun with some
sauce and it's a great sandwich!), it wouldn't be too difficult to do a few
more so others at our moto event could sample them. I think I got about 6
good slices out of the one I made for myself.

And yes, I *am* a freak.

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"vex" > wrote in message
snip

> FWIW, the point came out really well. I made some sandwiches with it
> yesterday. The flat was still a bit tough, it could have stayed in a
> couple more hours, easily. I've been thinking about taking the flat and
> putting it into my crock pot to slow cook for a few more hours, but I
> can't decide how I should handle putting liquid in the crockpot to aid
> cooking...
> --Brett

Then it really wasn't cooked long enough if the flat was still tough, the
point is mostly fat and is why it seemed tender, you want to render as much
fat out of it as possible,

I cook my briskets to temp, when the alarm goes off at 195F I promptly
remove it, then wrapped and left sit.

But sounds like your getting close! Great!
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

my DH prefers all of his beef naked and devoid of anything, Lee
"vex" > wrote in message
>I put a brisket on yesterday, without any sort of rub at all. I think it
>was in the smoker for about 4 hours, then I put it in the oven at 225-250
>for another 4 hours or so. It came out pretty nice, but the flat needed
>more time than I was willing to give. I didn't miss having rub on there one
>bit. I was curious as to how it would turn out, and it was fine!
>
> While the brisket was in the smoker, I put together some bacon explosions
> and threw them in when I put the brisket in the oven:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/vexicon/...eat=directlink
>
> --
>

> --Brett

This is what was said to me yesterday by some one; Peter Lucas (SAS RET) General Cooking 16 06-12-2010 06:18 PM
Yesterday on BBC [email protected] General Cooking 3 07-07-2007 01:09 AM
Yesterday Pandora General Cooking 26 02-10-2005 10:24 AM
Yesterday's Q Dana Myers Barbecue 0 15-08-2004 09:28 PM