Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Rubs

So I have read a lot on here about different kinds of rubs. What sort of
commercially made rubs would you suggest someone start with. This is until
I figure out just what I like.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Granby wrote:

> So I have read a lot on here about different kinds of rubs. What sort of
> commercially made rubs would you suggest someone start with. This is until
> I figure out just what I like.

One thing I would recommend is avoid the cheaper commercial brands.
They're usually mostly salt. Check the label, the ingredients are listed
in order of quantity.

For my own rubs the one more or less universal ingredient
is ground chile pepper of one sort or another.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

A friend sent a website called buystubbs. Said they were good. Anyone
know about them?

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Granby wrote:
>
>> So I have read a lot on here about different kinds of rubs. What sort of
>> commercially made rubs would you suggest someone start with. This is
>> until I figure out just what I like.

> One thing I would recommend is avoid the cheaper commercial brands.
> They're usually mostly salt. Check the label, the ingredients are listed
> in order of quantity.
>
> For my own rubs the one more or less universal ingredient
> is ground chile pepper of one sort or another.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 17, 7:00*pm, "Granby" > wrote:
> So I have read a lot on here about different kinds of rubs. *What sort of
> commercially made rubs would you suggest someone start with. *This is until
> I figure out just what I like.

Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

You'll mess around with rubs but my guess is you'll wander back to
this one often.

-frohe
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I guess I never thought about what I really liked as no one does BBQ. Add
some rosemary and Lemon to that list. Guess I am learning already.
"frohe" > wrote in message
On Jul 17, 7:00 pm, "Granby" > wrote:
> So I have read a lot on here about different kinds of rubs. What sort of
> commercially made rubs would you suggest someone start with. This is until
> I figure out just what I like.

Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

You'll mess around with rubs but my guess is you'll wander back to
this one often.

-frohe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" > wrote:
> So I have read a lot on here about different kinds of rubs. What sort of
> commercially made rubs would you suggest someone start with. This is
> until I figure out just what I like.

Commercial, shmommercial! Salt, FGBP, maybe garlic powder and paprika.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ok sounds good to me. Surely can't mess that up---too much. No maybe on
the garlic powder, have to have that.

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Granby" > wrote:
>> So I have read a lot on here about different kinds of rubs. What sort of
>> commercially made rubs would you suggest someone start with. This is
>> until I figure out just what I like.

> Commercial, shmommercial! Salt, FGBP, maybe garlic powder and paprika.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" > wrote in message
> So I have read a lot on here about different kinds of rubs. What sort of
> commercially made rubs would you suggest someone start with. This is
> until I figure out just what I like.

If you're going to buy a preprepared rub make sure it doesn't contain salt.
Salt to your own taste and add the rub the same way. Most commercial "rubs"
contain salt. That's a real screw, if you consider the cost of salt. Try
Trader Joe's "Barbecue Grill and Broil". Paint the meat with half strength
cider vinegar, salt and rub spices.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thank you.

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Granby" > wrote in message
>> So I have read a lot on here about different kinds of rubs. What sort of
>> commercially made rubs would you suggest someone start with. This is
>> until I figure out just what I like.
>>

> If you're going to buy a preprepared rub make sure it doesn't contain
> salt. Salt to your own taste and add the rub the same way. Most commercial
> "rubs" contain salt. That's a real screw, if you consider the cost of
> salt. Try Trader Joe's "Barbecue Grill and Broil". Paint the meat with
> half strength cider vinegar, salt and rub spices.
>
> Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Granby wrote:
> So I have read a lot on here about different kinds of rubs. What sort of
> commercially made rubs would you suggest someone start with. This is until
> I figure out just what I like.

My personal suggestion is to make a simple one yourself. Commercial ones
are mostly salt.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Granby wrote:
> A friend sent a website called buystubbs. Said they were good. Anyone
> know about them?
>

> "RegForte" > wrote in message
>> Granby wrote:
>>
>>> So I have read a lot on here about different kinds of rubs. What sort of
>>> commercially made rubs would you suggest someone start with. This is
>>> until I figure out just what I like.

>> One thing I would recommend is avoid the cheaper commercial brands.
>> They're usually mostly salt. Check the label, the ingredients are listed
>> in order of quantity.
>>
>> For my own rubs the one more or less universal ingredient
>> is ground chile pepper of one sort or another.

We like Stubbs BBQ Sauce. It's tomato based but not full of sugars so
it's lower in carbs.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I ordered a variety pack of stuff from Stubbs. Bought garlic powder and
some of the other stuff from the store tonight.

Know full well will have to have an herb garden next year.

My dehydrator died today in the middle of drying some peppers. Tabasco and
Jalapeños. Had it out on the back porch it smelled so strong!
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Granby wrote:
>> A friend sent a website called buystubbs. Said they were good. Anyone
>> know about them?

>>> One thing I would recommend is avoid the cheaper commercial brands.
>>> They're usually mostly salt. Check the label, the ingredients are listed
>>> in order of quantity.
>>>
>>> For my own rubs the one more or less universal ingredient
>>> is ground chile pepper of one sort or another.

> We like Stubbs BBQ Sauce. It's tomato based but not full of sugars so it's
> lower in carbs.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" > wrote in message

Granby, give this a try. It's a snap to make, can be frozen for
long term storage and contains no sweetner and little salt. Like
the others, I add salt to taste later on and not in my rub. I
recently discovered that this is probably the best scallop
seasoning I've ever tried, but it falls down on shrimp. I have a
different rub for that.

NONNY'S DRY RUB

This is my current rendition of a darned good dry rub. It’s kind
of a universal rub that I use on chicken, pork and especially
scallops, now. This current version gives the thicker baby back
ribs the same “buttery” flavor we get with some of the best pulled
pork. Note that there is no sweetner and no added salt beyond
some in the garlic and celery salt.

All measurement in any quantity you want to use:

2-3 Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
4 good Paprika
3 cracked black pepper
2 garlic salt- if powder, use 1 rather than 2 units
2 onion powder
1 chili powder
3 cumin
2 thyme
2 oregano
5 celery salt- VERY IMPORTANT INGREDIENT- if powdered seed, use 2
instead of 5
2 allspice

I mix it all up and then vacuum bag appx. ½ cup quantities. These
are good to give away and also keep the rub fresh. When vacuum
bagged, store in the freezer before using.

Note: for celery salt substitution: Lightly toast whole celery
seed in a frying pan, then grind to a powder in mortar.

Note: I subscribe to the old school of rubbing ribs or butt with
CYM before adding the rub. The CYM, I believe, acts as a catalyst
or sponge to draw in the flavors. YMMV

Anyway, hang in the Granby and give this a try.

--
Nonny

Giving money and power to
liberals is like giving
whiskey and car keys
to teenage boys.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonny" > wrote in message

> "Granby" > wrote in message
>
> Granby, give this a try. It's a snap to make, can be frozen for long term
> storage and contains no sweetner and little salt. Like the others, I add
> salt to taste later on and not in my rub. I recently discovered that this
> is probably the best scallop seasoning I've ever tried, but it falls down
> on shrimp. I have a different rub for that.
>

> NONNY'S DRY RUB
>
> This is my current rendition of a darned good dry rub. It’s kind of a
> universal rub that I use on chicken, pork and especially scallops, now.
> This current version gives the thicker baby back ribs the same “buttery”
> flavor we get with some of the best pulled pork. Note that there is no
> sweetner and no added salt beyond some in the garlic and celery salt.
>
> All measurement in any quantity you want to use:
>
> 2-3 Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
> 4 good Paprika
> 3 cracked black pepper
> 2 garlic salt- if powder, use 1 rather than 2 units
> 2 onion powder
> 1 chili powder
> 3 cumin
> 2 thyme
> 2 oregano
> 5 celery salt- VERY IMPORTANT INGREDIENT- if powdered seed, use 2 instead
> of 5
> 2 allspice
>
> I mix it all up and then vacuum bag appx. ½ cup quantities. These are
> good to give away and also keep the rub fresh. When vacuum bagged, store
> in the freezer before using.
>
> Note: for celery salt substitution: Lightly toast whole celery seed in a
> frying pan, then grind to a powder in mortar.
>
> Note: I subscribe to the old school of rubbing ribs or butt with CYM
> before adding the rub. The CYM, I believe, acts as a catalyst or sponge
> to draw in the flavors. YMMV
>
> Anyway, hang in the Granby and give this a try.
>
> --
> Nonny

Your recipe looks great. That's a whopping dose of cayenne. We buy chili
powder in Mexican markets in our area by the pound that add whole new
meaning to "chili powder". I generally add just a "bit" of cayenne to
whatever I've concocted.
CYM = ? or "cheap yellow mustard"? I wonder if that's similar to painting
with cider vinegar before applying the rub.
Cheers,

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

What is CYM?

"Nonny" > wrote in message

> "Granby" > wrote in message
>
> Granby, give this a try. It's a snap to make, can be frozen for long term
> storage and contains no sweetner and little salt. Like the others, I add
> salt to taste later on and not in my rub. I recently discovered that this
> is probably the best scallop seasoning I've ever tried, but it falls down
> on shrimp. I have a different rub for that.
>

> NONNY'S DRY RUB
>
> This is my current rendition of a darned good dry rub. It’s kind of a
> universal rub that I use on chicken, pork and especially scallops, now.
> This current version gives the thicker baby back ribs the same “buttery”
> flavor we get with some of the best pulled pork. Note that there is no
> sweetner and no added salt beyond some in the garlic and celery salt.
>
> All measurement in any quantity you want to use:
>
> 2-3 Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
> 4 good Paprika
> 3 cracked black pepper
> 2 garlic salt- if powder, use 1 rather than 2 units
> 2 onion powder
> 1 chili powder
> 3 cumin
> 2 thyme
> 2 oregano
> 5 celery salt- VERY IMPORTANT INGREDIENT- if powdered seed, use 2 instead
> of 5
> 2 allspice
>
> I mix it all up and then vacuum bag appx. ½ cup quantities. These are
> good to give away and also keep the rub fresh. When vacuum bagged, store
> in the freezer before using.
>
> Note: for celery salt substitution: Lightly toast whole celery seed in a
> frying pan, then grind to a powder in mortar.
>
> Note: I subscribe to the old school of rubbing ribs or butt with CYM
> before adding the rub. The CYM, I believe, acts as a catalyst or sponge
> to draw in the flavors. YMMV
>
> Anyway, hang in the Granby and give this a try.
>
> --
> Nonny
>
> Giving money and power to
> liberals is like giving
> whiskey and car keys
> to teenage boys.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Granby wrote:
> So I have read a lot on here about different kinds of rubs. What
> sort of commercially made rubs would you suggest someone start with. This is until I figure out just what I like.

Pepper, a bit of garlic, oregano, and some cayenne for kick.
olive oil to make it stick better.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

From the answers I am getting, I am beginning to think the reason some folks
say they don't like BBQ is because of what is put on it. I read the 22
ingredients on a shaker of rub I got at the store. You all are right, who
needs all that garbage. If you can't pronounce it, you probably don't need
to be eating it.
"DougW" > wrote in message
> Granby wrote:
>> So I have read a lot on here about different kinds of rubs. What
>> sort of commercially made rubs would you suggest someone start with. This
>> is until I figure out just what I like.

> Pepper, a bit of garlic, oregano, and some cayenne for kick.
> olive oil to make it stick better.
>
> --
> DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" > wrote in message
> What is CYM?

Cheap Yellow Mustard
Generic brand works as well as the brand names stuff. It acts as a glue for
the rub and is not tasted in the final product.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:44:07 -0500, "Granby" > wrote:

>I guess I never thought about what I really liked as no one does BBQ. Add
>some rosemary and Lemon to that list. Guess I am learning already.

Granby, do you mind if I ask where you're located (roughly)??? Denny
and I were kinda surprised at the thought of a region where no one
barbecues.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...
> Nonny said:
>> NONNY'S DRY RUB
>>
>> This is my current rendition of a darned good dry rub. It’s
>> kind
>> of a universal rub that I use on chicken, pork and especially
>> scallops, now. This current version gives the thicker baby
>> back
>> ribs the same “buttery” flavor we get with some of the best
>> pulled
>> pork. Note that there is no sweetner and no added salt beyond
>> some in the garlic and celery salt.
>>
>> All measurement in any quantity you want to use:
>>
>> 2-3 Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
>> 4 good Paprika
>> 3 cracked black pepper
>> 2 garlic salt- if powder, use 1 rather than 2 units
>> 2 onion powder
>> 1 chili powder
>> 3 cumin
>> 2 thyme
>> 2 oregano
>> 5 celery salt- VERY IMPORTANT INGREDIENT- if powdered seed, use
>> 2
>> instead of 5
>> 2 allspice
>>

> So if you sub powders for garlic and celery salts, do you then
> add salt to
> the recipe?

Yes. I consider salt to be an essential ingredient. However, I
don't feel it's necessary to include it in the rub itself when
it's so available and easy to add on separately with the rub
itself. It also lets you 'salt to taste.' For those with BP
problems, perhaps they can get by with less.

> Toasting the spice is spot on, but very carefully just to the
> first point of
> fragrance for the celery seed to avoid bitterness, and it's also
> a good idea
> with whole cumin seed, which responds extremely well to that
> treatment.
>
> MartyB

I learned that the hard way years ago. For spices, I have a small
pan that looks like a 4" diameter frying pan. I sprinkle a tsp or
so of celery seed in it, hold it over the gas cooktop and when I
smell the celery, it's time to toss it in the granite mortar I
keep on the countertop and start grinding.

I'm not a big fan of veggies, but still feel there's a place for
veggies in a meal. To insure that I get the veggies I need for
health, however, I've taken to drinking 4-6 ounces of a V-8 juice
mix I make up and keep in the refrigerator.

Large bottle V-8 with extra fiber
Large bottle original Clamato juice
2-3 tbsp Franks or Crystal hot sauce or 3-4 of Texas Pete or
Calula
1 tbsp or slightly less toasted and ground celery seed

In the words of St. Martha of Stewart, it's a "good thing" and
works well with gin or vodka.

--
Nonny

Giving money and power to
liberals is like giving
whiskey and car keys
to teenage boys.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
> message ...
>
>> So if you sub powders for garlic and celery salts, do you then add
>> salt to
>> the recipe?

> Yes. I consider salt to be an essential ingredient. However, I don't
> feel it's necessary to include it in the rub itself when it's so
> available and easy to add on separately with the rub itself. It also
> lets you 'salt to taste.' For those with BP problems, perhaps they can
> get by with less.

The main reason I leave salt out of rubs is so I can apply
it well ahead of time. There are all kinds of Q recipes out there
that call for applying the rub the day before. If you do that to
something like pork, and there's very much salt in the rub, it will
actually cure the meat. It ends up with a denser texture and a ham like
flavor. That's ok for a loin cut, sometimes it's what I want, but it
certainly doesn't help ribs any.

I leave the salt out of the rub and apply it just before cooking,
or at least within a reasonable amount of time.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I saw that in a post but, thought someone was kidding. Guess I shouldn't
waste much time thinking!
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Granby" > wrote in message
>> What is CYM?
>>

> Cheap Yellow Mustard
> Generic brand works as well as the brand names stuff. It acts as a glue
> for the rub and is not tasted in the final product.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sounds to me like the different taste I get in ribs is because I do them the
day before. As you say, it changes the taste. Bought some ribs and will
try leaving out the salt and see what happens.
"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Nonny wrote:
>

>> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
>>
>>> So if you sub powders for garlic and celery salts, do you then add salt
>>> the recipe?

>> Yes. I consider salt to be an essential ingredient. However, I don't
>> feel it's necessary to include it in the rub itself when it's so
>> available and easy to add on separately with the rub itself. It also
>> lets you 'salt to taste.' For those with BP problems, perhaps they can
>> get by with less.

> The main reason I leave salt out of rubs is so I can apply
> it well ahead of time. There are all kinds of Q recipes out there
> that call for applying the rub the day before. If you do that to
> something like pork, and there's very much salt in the rub, it will
> actually cure the meat. It ends up with a denser texture and a ham like
> flavor. That's ok for a loin cut, sometimes it's what I want, but it
> certainly doesn't help ribs any.
>
> I leave the salt out of the rub and apply it just before cooking,
> or at least within a reasonable amount of time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Live near Terre Haute Indiana. Maybe people do but, don't hear any
discussion about it. Also many here don't know the difference between
"Grilling" and "BBQ'ing". They will ask you to a BBQ and you get grill
cooked steaks.
"Desideria" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:44:07 -0500, "Granby" > wrote:
>
>>I guess I never thought about what I really liked as no one does BBQ. Add
>>some rosemary and Lemon to that list. Guess I am learning already.

> Granby, do you mind if I ask where you're located (roughly)??? Denny
> and I were kinda surprised at the thought of a region where no one
> barbecues.
>

> Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
> message ...
>> Nonny said:
>>> NONNY'S DRY RUB

<Extensive, but delicate snippers>

> In the words of St. Martha of Stewart, it's a "good thing" and works
> well with gin or vodka.

(Lurk off)

Not at all objectionable with beer too!

Dave T.

(Lurk on)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" > wrote in message
> Live near Terre Haute Indiana. Maybe people do but, don't hear any
> discussion about it. Also many here don't know the difference between
> "Grilling" and "BBQ'ing". They will ask you to a BBQ and you get grill
> cooked steaks.

We tend to use the term bbq as a particular type of slow cooked meat. Others
use bbq as a verb. Given the fact that 299,999,000 of the 300,000,000
people in this country use it that way, I'm not going to crusade to change
them.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 15:20:01 -0500, "Granby" > wrote:

>Live near Terre Haute Indiana. Maybe people do but, don't hear any
>discussion about it. Also many here don't know the difference between
>"Grilling" and "BBQ'ing". They will ask you to a BBQ and you get grill
>cooked steaks.

Hey, *that* is the norm! Most folks talk about barbecues when they
mean grilling, except for the folks who know bbqers.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

No, wouldn't even try to change them but, if you don't see well and are
given a sandwich with a "hers is some of the BBQ you will ever eat and then,
find out it is just grilled, is hard to recover without making a face.
Grilled is good.

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Granby" > wrote in message
>> Live near Terre Haute Indiana. Maybe people do but, don't hear any
>> discussion about it. Also many here don't know the difference between
>> "Grilling" and "BBQ'ing". They will ask you to a BBQ and you get grill
>> cooked steaks.

> We tend to use the term bbq as a particular type of slow cooked meat.
> Others use bbq as a verb. Given the fact that 299,999,000 of the
> 300,000,000 people in this country use it that way, I'm not going to
> crusade to change them.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Figured that out when I would ask if they used a sauce or a rub. Usually
got a "WHAT?" I have learned not to ask the question around here at least.
"Desideria" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 15:20:01 -0500, "Granby" > wrote:
>
>>Live near Terre Haute Indiana. Maybe people do but, don't hear any
>>discussion about it. Also many here don't know the difference between
>>"Grilling" and "BBQ'ing". They will ask you to a BBQ and you get grill
>>cooked steaks.

> Hey, *that* is the norm! Most folks talk about barbecues when they
> mean grilling, except for the folks who know bbqers.
>
> Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" > wrote in message
> Live near Terre Haute Indiana. Maybe people do but, don't hear any
> discussion about it. Also many here don't know the difference between
> "Grilling" and "BBQ'ing". They will ask you to a BBQ and you get grill
> cooked steaks.

Is there any region where many or most folks know the real meaning of BBQ
(or BBQing)? Most folks, books, TV shows, magazines think BBQ is outdoor
grilling.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

http://www.ahsrobotics.us/On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 21:36:28 -0500, "Granby"
> wrote:

>No, wouldn't even try to change them but, if you don't see well and are
>given a sandwich with a "hers is some of the BBQ you will ever eat and then,
>find out it is just grilled, is hard to recover without making a face.
>Grilled is good.

Actually, I'm rather impressed that you knew the difference before you
found us! :-)

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I have no idea where I learned the difference but it was something that
stuck with me.

My most embarrassing thing about BBQ was that most of the time I was served
with a sauce already on it. The first time they put the sauce on the side,
I was astonished. I dumped the sauce on the meat and was promptly chastised
for doing so.

"Desideria" > wrote in message
> http://www.ahsrobotics.us/On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 21:36:28 -0500, "Granby"
> > wrote:
>
>>No, wouldn't even try to change them but, if you don't see well and are
>>given a sandwich with a "hers is some of the BBQ you will ever eat and
>>then,
>>find out it is just grilled, is hard to recover without making a face.
>>Grilled is good.

> Actually, I'm rather impressed that you knew the difference before you
> found us! :-)
>

> Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:26:11 -0500, "Granby" > wrote:

>I have no idea where I learned the difference but it was something that
>stuck with me.
>
>My most embarrassing thing about BBQ was that most of the time I was served
>with a sauce already on it. The first time they put the sauce on the side,
>I was astonished. I dumped the sauce on the meat and was promptly chastised
>for doing so.

I can picture it, yeah. Some bbqers are a bit...firm in their views.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Firm? FIRM, the man took my plate and gave me a hot dog. He said until I
learned how to eat it right, I wouldn't get any at his house. Needless to
say, I never went back. My husband did but I didn't. I didn't know there
was a rule about that.
"Desideria" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:26:11 -0500, "Granby" > wrote:
>
>>I have no idea where I learned the difference but it was something that
>>stuck with me.
>>
>>My most embarrassing thing about BBQ was that most of the time I was
>>served
>>with a sauce already on it. The first time they put the sauce on the
>>side,
>>I was astonished. I dumped the sauce on the meat and was promptly
>>chastised
>>for doing so.

> I can picture it, yeah. Some bbqers are a bit...firm in their views.
>

> Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:26:11 -0500, "Granby" > wrote:
>
>> I have no idea where I learned the difference but it was something that
>> stuck with me.
>>
>> My most embarrassing thing about BBQ was that most of the time I was served
>> with a sauce already on it. The first time they put the sauce on the side,
>> I was astonished. I dumped the sauce on the meat and was promptly chastised
>> for doing so.

> I can picture it, yeah. Some bbqers are a bit...firm in their views.
>

> Desideria

Some?

Nice end of the night lol :-)

Granby - I agree that you knowing the difference is pretty good before
even coming here, and now you know the right way is to serve the sauce
(on the side) that's not an issue. It was however bad form for the one
pointing it out that you were wrong for dumping the sauce on directly
:-) That's a kin to someone putting a ton of salt and pepper on a meal
that someone took a while to prepare. "They" know that it's to their
tastes, no salt or pepper are needed. At least not needed until after
you tasted :-) BBQ'ers are the same way. Throw sauce on my offering I
spent hours on before even tasting? I'd be offended also if I was young
enough. Now I just <sigh>.

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria > wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:26:11 -0500, "Granby" > wrote:
>
> >I have no idea where I learned the difference but it was something that
> >stuck with me.
> >
> >My most embarrassing thing about BBQ was that most of the time I was
> >served with a sauce already on it. The first time they put the sauce on
> >the side, I was astonished. I dumped the sauce on the meat and was
> >promptly chastised for doing so.

> I can picture it, yeah. Some bbqers are a bit...firm in their views.

I generally just use a simple rub. The only exception I can think of is my

Beef Ribs, Bourbon-Glazed, Smoked

Rub

1/3 cup black pepper, ground
1/4 cup paprika
2 tbs sugar
1 tbs salt
2 tbs chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder

9 lbs of thick, meaty, beef ribs (original recipe was for 3 racks of pork
spareribs, which I've also done).

Bourbon Mop (Optional, but stronly advised)

3/4 cup Bourbon
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water

'Bour-BQ' Sauce

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup oil (preferably canola or corn)
2 medium onions, minced
3/4 cup Bourbon
2/3 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup pure Vermont maple syrup
1/3 cup dark unsulphered molasses
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper, fresh ground
1/2 tsp salt

The night before, mix up the rub and apply 1/2 of it evenly over the ribs.
Put them in a plastic bag in the 'fridge overnight.

The next morning, take them out, pat them down with the remaining rub and
let them come to room temperature while you get the smoker up to 200 -
220° F and mix up the mop, about 30 to 45 minutes. Put the mop on low heat
to warm up.

Put the ribs in the smoker. They're gonna cook around 4 hours. Turn and mop
'em after 1-1/2 and 3 hours. While they're smokin', prepare the 'Bour-BQ'
sauce in a large saucepan. Melt the butter with the oil over medium heat.
Add the onions and sauté 'til they begin to turn golden, maybe 5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to low and cook until the
mixtures thickens, about 40 minutes, stirring frequently.

Brush the ribs with the sauce a couple of times in the last 45 minutes of
cooking. Return the remaining sauce to the stove and simmer 15 to 20
minutes 'til it's reduced by 1/3 and gooey and sticky.

When the ribs are ready, a fork will easily enter the meat. Serve with the
reduced sauce on the side.

Accompaniments are Wilted salad with Glazed bacon and Bacon vinaigrette
dressing, Batter-fried mushrooms and SOURDOUGH CORN BREAD. All based on
recipes from “Smoke & Spice”, by Cheryl & Bill Jamison. There are no
leftovers. I spent most of my time frying mushrooms. °-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" > wrote:
> Firm? FIRM, the man took my plate and gave me a hot dog. He said until I
> learned how to eat it right, I wouldn't get any at his house. Needless
> to say, I never went back. My husband did but I didn't. I didn't know
> there was a rule about that.
> "Desideria" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:26:11 -0500, "Granby" > wrote:
> >
> >>I have no idea where I learned the difference but it was something that
> >>stuck with me.
> >>
> >>My most embarrassing thing about BBQ was that most of the time I was
> >>served with a sauce already on it. The first time they put the sauce
> >>on the side, I was astonished. I dumped the sauce on the meat and was
> >>promptly chastised for doing so.

> > I can picture it, yeah. Some bbqers are a bit...firm in their views.

I don't think it's a _rule_. I think that guy was just plain rude (and a
jerk).

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> [...]

> sauce in a large saucepan. Melt the butter with the oil over medium heat.
> Add the onions and sauté 'til they begin to turn golden, maybe 5 minutes.
> Add the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to low and cook until the
> mixtures thickens, about 40 minutes, stirring frequently.
>
> Brush the ribs with the sauce a couple of times in the last 45 minutes of
> cooking. Return the remaining sauce to the stove and simmer 15 to 20
> minutes 'til it's reduced by 1/3 and gooey and sticky.
>
> When the ribs are ready, a fork will easily enter the meat. Serve with the
> reduced sauce on the side.
>
> Accompaniments are Wilted salad with Glazed bacon and Bacon vinaigrette
> dressing, Batter-fried mushrooms and SOURDOUGH CORN BREAD. All based on
> recipes from “Smoke & Spice”, by Cheryl & Bill Jamison. There are no
> leftovers. I spent most of my time frying mushrooms. °-)

Nick - Thanks for your post.

I already knew you to be an upstanding BBQ'er. But it's not often you
see so much input on a single post (salad, cornbread, etc., included)

Just thought I'd mention that I copy/pasted into notepad, and saved as
Serious Q TNT.txt

Nice of you to give me a reason to do that.

Thanks,

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Wallace" > wrote in message
> Is there any region where many or most folks know the real meaning of BBQ
> (or BBQing)? Most folks, books, TV shows, magazines think BBQ is outdoor
> grilling.

Maybe North Carolina. That is where I learned what barbecue was some 25
years ago. Changed the way I cook outdoors.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19 Jul 2009 04:52:57 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

> [...]

>sauce in a large saucepan. Melt the butter with the oil over medium heat.
>Add the onions and sauté 'til they begin to turn golden, maybe 5 minutes.
>Add the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to low and cook until the
>mixtures thickens, about 40 minutes, stirring frequently.
>
>Brush the ribs with the sauce a couple of times in the last 45 minutes of
>cooking. Return the remaining sauce to the stove and simmer 15 to 20
>minutes 'til it's reduced by 1/3 and gooey and sticky.
>
>When the ribs are ready, a fork will easily enter the meat. Serve with the
>reduced sauce on the side.
>
>Accompaniments are Wilted salad with Glazed bacon and Bacon vinaigrette
>dressing, Batter-fried mushrooms and SOURDOUGH CORN BREAD. All based on
>recipes from “Smoke & Spice”, by Cheryl & Bill Jamison. There are no
>leftovers. I spent most of my time frying mushrooms. °-)

Wow!!! Bless you for all this, Nick! I won't be making the whole thing
myself (won't work on the grill), but I may well try the rub and/or
the sauce...might even ask my sweetie if he feels like making it. ;-)

Desideria

Opinion about BBQ rubs tutall Barbecue 10 14-06-2013 04:26 AM
How Long for Dry and Wet Rubs? Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 4 22-01-2013 05:58 PM
Question on BBQ Rubs Wayne Boatwright[_3_] Barbecue 17 19-01-2008 07:19 AM
Dry Rubs? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 0 11-09-2007 11:00 AM
About Rubs? Kent Barbecue 4 03-08-2006 05:48 AM