Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default terre haute bbq

I am going to have to go googling to find out about all the different
styles, I prefer sweeter rather than the vinegar, at least I think I do!!!!
"Nonny" > wrote in message

> "Granby" > wrote in message
>> Have been thinking about this since the google post thing. Seems like a
>> lot of the "family" places, their BQ ends up with a strong vinegar taste.
>>

> Well, you're probably getting the eastern NC style, then. Ask them to
> leave the 'sauce' off. In most of NC, that's the default way to serve
> pulled pork: a 50-50 mix of Texas Pete and apple cider vinegar.
> Generally, it's served at the table in a glass ketchup bottle with holes
> in the lid. Fancy places will add crushed chili or even the tiny little
> green peppers for looks and more flavor inside the bottle. Here at the
> house, we keep a bottle of the spicy vinegar on the cabinet and use it for
> everything from pulled pork to fried gizzards and livers.
>
> --
> Nonny
>
> Giving money and power to
> liberals is like giving
> whiskey and car keys
> to teenage boys.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Rubs

In ,
Dave T. >spewed forth:
> Granby wrote:
>> So I have read a lot on here about different kinds of rubs. What
>> sort of commercially made rubs would you suggest someone start with.
>> This is until I figure out just what I like.
>>

> I have used Lawrys seasoned salt, but if available to you my new
> favorite is "Pappys" seasoning. Originally made for "Santa Maria"
> style Tri-Tips. Pretty good stuff.
>
> Dave T.

it's available salt free, too
http://pappyschoice.com/Product%20Page_Salt%20Free.htm

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonny" > wrote in message

> "Granby" > wrote in message
>> Have been thinking about this since the google post thing. Seems like a
>> lot of the "family" places, their BQ ends up with a strong vinegar taste.
>>

> Well, you're probably getting the eastern NC style, then. Ask them to
> leave the 'sauce' off. In most of NC, that's the default way to serve
> pulled pork: a 50-50 mix of Texas Pete and apple cider vinegar.
> Generally, it's served at the table in a glass ketchup bottle with holes
> in the lid. Fancy places will add crushed chili or even the tiny little
> green peppers for looks and more flavor inside the bottle. Here at the
> house, we keep a bottle of the spicy vinegar on the cabinet and use it for
> everything from pulled pork to fried gizzards and livers.
>
> --
> Nonny

Your liver and gizzards, deep fried or pan fried. Do you use flour and
seasoning or ?

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

After googleing all the styles, it must be the NC style.

Stormmee, I copied all the styles, took out the pictures and websites so,
when you get to this point, holler and I will send it to you in a easy to
read format.
"Robert" > wrote in message

> "Nonny" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Granby" > wrote in message
>>> Have been thinking about this since the google post thing. Seems like a
>>> lot of the "family" places, their BQ ends up with a strong vinegar
>>> taste.
>>>

>> Well, you're probably getting the eastern NC style, then. Ask them to
>> leave the 'sauce' off. In most of NC, that's the default way to serve
>> pulled pork: a 50-50 mix of Texas Pete and apple cider vinegar.
>> Generally, it's served at the table in a glass ketchup bottle with holes
>> in the lid. Fancy places will add crushed chili or even the tiny little
>> green peppers for looks and more flavor inside the bottle. Here at the
>> house, we keep a bottle of the spicy vinegar on the cabinet and use it
>> for everything from pulled pork to fried gizzards and livers.
>>
>> --
>> Nonny
>>

> Your liver and gizzards, deep fried or pan fried. Do you use flour and
> seasoning or ?
>

> Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Robert" > wrote in message

> Your liver and gizzards, deep fried or pan fried. Do you use
> flour and seasoning or ?

They're the world's most simple: Cup flour plus one packet Good
Season's Italian salad dressing dry mix- all placed in a bag.
Livers and gizzards are rinsed well in water, then dredged in the
flour- egg wash optional. They are either pan fried or deep
fried- I can't tell much of a difference. I've experimented with
redredging after a minute or two, and like the extra breading, but
it holds fat and I don't need the extra calories. I serve them
with a 50-50 mix of Texas Pete and apple cider vinegar.

--
Nonny

Giving money and power to
liberals is like giving
whiskey and car keys
to teenage boys.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I used to make them for my husband but, quite differently.

Wrapped each piece in a strip of bacon, Stuck a tooth pick in each piece to
hold it in place.

Baked on a cookie sheet in the oven for 30-40 minutes. Let sit a couple of
minutes. Dipped them in BBQ sauce or ranch dressing.

Hope you can seen the humor in the following.

When my husband went to the hospital for what we knew would be the last
time, he wanted me to bring him some of the above.

"Doctor said "No" Bob asked "why not, is it going to kill me?" Doctor was
a young pop and ran out of the room. He did leave the order, with a
notation that patient could have a beer if desired. Nurses ended up eating
what I brought as he was too tired to eat by then.

"Nonny" > wrote in message

> "Robert" > wrote in message
>
>> Your liver and gizzards, deep fried or pan fried. Do you use flour and
>> seasoning or ?

> They're the world's most simple: Cup flour plus one packet Good Season's
> Italian salad dressing dry mix- all placed in a bag. Livers and gizzards
> are rinsed well in water, then dredged in the flour- egg wash optional.
> They are either pan fried or deep fried- I can't tell much of a
> difference. I've experimented with redredging after a minute or two, and
> like the extra breading, but it holds fat and I don't need the extra
> calories. I serve them with a 50-50 mix of Texas Pete and apple cider
> vinegar.
>

> --
> Nonny
>
> Giving money and power to
> liberals is like giving
> whiskey and car keys
> to teenage boys.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" > wrote in message
> For cripes sake, I have googled it. Have been to about six of these
> places, not bad but always seems to have the not for real flavor. Don't
> know how to explain it. The ones at Texas Roadhouse, which everyone
> around here likes, were way too dry. Like cooked then reheated.
>
> I'll figure it out one of these days.

snip

did you try Homies?
piemont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" > wrote in message
> Have been thinking about this since the google post thing. Seems like a
> lot of the "family" places, their BQ ends up with a strong vinegar taste.
>
> Since I don't drive, when I go to these places, I end up having to treat
> my son, his wife and their two kids.
>
> They think Arby's BBQ beef is good. Even with that prefab meat they use.

snip

LOL we have some more work to do on you! he, he, Arby Q!
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Will have to check my list, yes I keep lists don't want to repeat same
mistake twice when paying for food. If haven't, will give it try on the
next round. Thank you.

"piedmont" > wrote in message
news
> "Granby" > wrote in message
>> For cripes sake, I have googled it. Have been to about six of these
>> places, not bad but always seems to have the not for real flavor. Don't
>> know how to explain it. The ones at Texas Roadhouse, which everyone
>> around here likes, were way too dry. Like cooked then reheated.
>>
>> I'll figure it out one of these days.

> snip
>
> did you try Homies?
> piemont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hey, I didn't say I liked it or, for that matter even ate it. Something
frozen from the grocery would probably be better.

"piedmont" > wrote in message
> "Granby" > wrote in message
>> Have been thinking about this since the google post thing. Seems like a
>> lot of the "family" places, their BQ ends up with a strong vinegar taste.
>>
>> Since I don't drive, when I go to these places, I end up having to treat
>> my son, his wife and their two kids.
>>
>> They think Arby's BBQ beef is good. Even with that prefab meat they use.

> snip
>
> LOL we have some more work to do on you! he, he, Arby Q!
> piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:10:58 -0700, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 17:49:30 -0700, Desideria
> wrote:

>>Some of it, nope! ;-) He doesn't like everything I do, but then he
>>isn't here all the time, either.

>And you don't like everything I do. And even if (when!) we live under
>the same roof, it will be just fine for either of us to do things the
>other doesn't like. You, cook curries, frex. Me, watch some sports,
>also frex. And clearly we've already got a major start on the 'so
>what if sweetie doesn't like to eat this' issue, as we simply let it
>go. You don't expect me to eat what I don't care for, nor do I expect
>you to eat what you don't care for.

Under the same roof, we'll either hafta cook 2 separate dinners or
negotiate a LOT... ;-).

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I always thought my no horse town with four streets was lame, but we are
sixty miles from stl and thirty five miles south of springfield IL, now let
me tell you we went over there and was on a hunt for something can't even
remember what, they don't even have a disgusting best buy in that town, only
thing good is they have one killer chinese buffett with eel suchi, Lee
"Granby" > wrote in message
> Live near Terre Haute Indiana. Maybe people do but, don't hear any
> discussion about it. Also many here don't know the difference between
> "Grilling" and "BBQ'ing". They will ask you to a BBQ and you get grill
> cooked steaks.
> "Desideria" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:44:07 -0500, "Granby" > wrote:
>>
>>>I guess I never thought about what I really liked as no one does BBQ.
>>>Add
>>>some rosemary and Lemon to that list. Guess I am learning already.

>> Granby, do you mind if I ask where you're located (roughly)??? Denny
>> and I were kinda surprised at the thought of a region where no one
>> barbecues.
>>

>> Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

your friends are like me... free food, educate me, make me listen to a
sermon just give me good food i didn't cook, and its fine, just no britnay
spears and its all good, Lee
"Granby" > wrote in message
>I couldn't ask for a refill, he took my plate and gave me a hot dog! What
>you all have said about tasting things first and such are things I am
>making notes on and, if, when, I get good enough at doing this kind of
>food, I intend to educate my friends. Sort of as you get served here is
>what you need to know about BBQ. My friends won't be put off by this.
>

> "Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
>> Desideria wrote:

>>> That would be *his* problem, hon.
>>>
>>> I can just imagine the weight of the grudges that guy carried, if he
>>> held onto such a little one for so long!
>>>

>>> Desideria

>> Desideria - I originally caught the sentiment, but not the ten year later
>> thing as I'm watching a stupid movie. I really should have been paying
>> attention.
>>
>> Granby - If that had happened to me, I would have dumped the entire side
>> dish of souce on my BBQ, and then ask for a re-fill. And then? I would
>> have eaten all the sides, (and maybe a bit more of them). Dumped the
>> refilled sauce on the uneaten BBQ, and than said thanks for a nice meal.
>>
>> That tells you I am seriously stupid in some respects, but that also
>> tells you that respect is a serous point with me. He disrespected you the
>> first time around, and I would have returned the favor these ten years
>> later.
>>
>> After getting home, I may have chastised myself for being stupid, but I
>> would have felt better.
>>
>> Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

which do you have, i think my DH might like this, Lee
"Desideria" > wrote in message
> On 19 Jul 2009 23:59:06 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
>>Desideria > wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]
>>> I'm guessing that even on the street, the guy is still grumbling
>>> because someone--10 years ago--dumped sauce on his 'q' without trying
>>> it first.
>>>
>>> Heck, you don't shun someone like that. You educate them! This crew
>>> has taught me that, and I don't even 'q'!

>>Hey, Des. How do you like your Lodge grill (hibachi)? Jun loves hers.

> It's terrific! Though I *would* love some tips from Jun on how she
> uses hers. It has some limitations, in that it's best for direct heat
> and not so good for indirect. It also doesn't have the ability to set
> the food up at different levels from the heat.
>
> And I'm always looking for recipes that will work well for it!
>

> Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

coming from thirty years of life with the same person i can verify that this
is a building block of a sturdy relationship... i think these differences
are what cause so many people to eat out... now lucky for me my DH is not
only an excellent cook and loves it, he has no problems putting together a
recipe that comes to me, and when the mood hits for different foods he has
and will continue to cook two seperate meals if that is what we want, Lee
"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 17:49:30 -0700, Desideria
> > wrote:
>
>>On 20 Jul 2009 00:37:33 GMT, Nick Cramer >
>>wrote:

>>>Jun takes it to Thai cookouts and grills Thaish stuff on it. In the
>>>beginning, she used Kingsford and Charcoal lighter. Now uses lump and
>>>Minion chimney. She's done some nice steaks for me on it. It's long
>>>enough
>>>that you might be able to do indirect if you tent it with foil. Untried.
>>>
>>>"Just keep on doin' whatcher doin', but ask yerself this: Will Denny like
>>>it?" ;-D

>>Some of it, nope! ;-) He doesn't like everything I do, but then he
>>isn't here all the time, either.

> And you don't like everything I do. And even if (when!) we live under
> the same roof, it will be just fine for either of us to do things the
> other doesn't like. You, cook curries, frex. Me, watch some sports,
> also frex. And clearly we've already got a major start on the 'so
> what if sweetie doesn't like to eat this' issue, as we simply let it
> go. You don't expect me to eat what I don't care for, nor do I expect
> you to eat what you don't care for.
>
> --
> -denny-
>
> Some people are offence kleptomaniacs -- whenever they see
> an offence that isn't nailed down, they take it ;-)
> --David C. Pugh, in alt.callahans
>
> Know the signs!
> http://www.heartinfo.org/ms/guides/9/main.html

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

this works better than you think, once we got enough money to actually buy
food, we have often done this, we share the same taste in pasta so no issues
there, but i like spicey and hott, less red meat and potatoes at every
oppertunity, he is a big time red meat eater and prefers noodles over
spuds... the joy is some meals aren't hard, i get chicken, he gets a steak.
we have rice and broccoli, after cooking i put spices in my rice and
broccoli, he just plops down a pound of butter.

Lee
"Desideria" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:10:58 -0700, Denny Wheeler
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 17:49:30 -0700, Desideria
> wrote:

>>>Some of it, nope! ;-) He doesn't like everything I do, but then he
>>>isn't here all the time, either.

>>And you don't like everything I do. And even if (when!) we live under
>>the same roof, it will be just fine for either of us to do things the
>>other doesn't like. You, cook curries, frex. Me, watch some sports,
>>also frex. And clearly we've already got a major start on the 'so
>>what if sweetie doesn't like to eat this' issue, as we simply let it
>>go. You don't expect me to eat what I don't care for, nor do I expect
>>you to eat what you don't care for.

> Under the same roof, we'll either hafta cook 2 separate dinners or
> negotiate a LOT... ;-).
>

> Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

this is a recipe worth keeping, Lee

"Nonny" > wrote in message

> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
>> Nonny said:
>>> NONNY'S DRY RUB
>>>
>>> This is my current rendition of a darned good dry rub. It’s kind
>>> of a universal rub that I use on chicken, pork and especially
>>> scallops, now. This current version gives the thicker baby back
>>> ribs the same “buttery” flavor we get with some of the best pulled
>>> pork. Note that there is no sweetner and no added salt beyond
>>> some in the garlic and celery salt.
>>>
>>> All measurement in any quantity you want to use:
>>>
>>> 2-3 Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
>>> 4 good Paprika
>>> 3 cracked black pepper
>>> 2 garlic salt- if powder, use 1 rather than 2 units
>>> 2 onion powder
>>> 1 chili powder
>>> 3 cumin
>>> 2 thyme
>>> 2 oregano
>>> 5 celery salt- VERY IMPORTANT INGREDIENT- if powdered seed, use 2
>>> instead of 5
>>> 2 allspice
>>>

>> So if you sub powders for garlic and celery salts, do you then add salt
>> the recipe?

> Yes. I consider salt to be an essential ingredient. However, I don't
> feel it's necessary to include it in the rub itself when it's so available
> and easy to add on separately with the rub itself. It also lets you 'salt
> to taste.' For those with BP problems, perhaps they can get by with less.
>

>> Toasting the spice is spot on, but very carefully just to the first point
>> of
>> fragrance for the celery seed to avoid bitterness, and it's also a good
>> idea
>> with whole cumin seed, which responds extremely well to that treatment.
>>
>> MartyB
>>

> I learned that the hard way years ago. For spices, I have a small pan
> that looks like a 4" diameter frying pan. I sprinkle a tsp or so of
> celery seed in it, hold it over the gas cooktop and when I smell the
> celery, it's time to toss it in the granite mortar I keep on the
> countertop and start grinding.
>
> I'm not a big fan of veggies, but still feel there's a place for veggies
> in a meal. To insure that I get the veggies I need for health, however,
> I've taken to drinking 4-6 ounces of a V-8 juice mix I make up and keep in
> the refrigerator.
>
> Large bottle V-8 with extra fiber
> Large bottle original Clamato juice
> 2-3 tbsp Franks or Crystal hot sauce or 3-4 of Texas Pete or Calula
> 1 tbsp or slightly less toasted and ground celery seed
>
> In the words of St. Martha of Stewart, it's a "good thing" and works well
> with gin or vodka.
>
> --
> Nonny
>
> Giving money and power to
> liberals is like giving
> whiskey and car keys
> to teenage boys.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 14:32:48 -0500, "Stormmmee"
> wrote:

>which do you have, i think my DH might like this, Lee

I have the Lodge Sportsman's Grill. It's cast iron.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks, lee

"Desideria" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 14:32:48 -0500, "Stormmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>which do you have, i think my DH might like this, Lee

> I have the Lodge Sportsman's Grill. It's cast iron.
>

> Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stormmmee" > wrote:
> which do you have, i think my DH might like this, Lee
> "Desideria" > wrote in message
> > Nick Cramer > wrote:

> >>Hey, Des. How do you like your Lodge grill (hibachi)? Jun loves hers.

> > It's terrific! Though I *would* love some tips from Jun on how she
> > uses hers. It has some limitations, in that it's best for direct heat
> > and not so good for indirect. It also doesn't have the ability to set
> > the food up at different levels from the heat.
> >
> > And I'm always looking for recipes that will work well for it!

Lodge-Logic-Pre-Seasoned-Sportsmans-Charcoal

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Pr...rcoal/dp/B0002
2OK2A

http://tinyurl.com/mwcj62

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks saved for him, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmmee" > wrote:
>> which do you have, i think my DH might like this, Lee

>> > It's terrific! Though I *would* love some tips from Jun on how she
>> > uses hers. It has some limitations, in that it's best for direct heat
>> > and not so good for indirect. It also doesn't have the ability to set
>> > the food up at different levels from the heat.
>> >
>> > And I'm always looking for recipes that will work well for it!

> Lodge-Logic-Pre-Seasoned-Sportsmans-Charcoal
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Pr...rcoal/dp/B0002
> 2OK2A
>
> http://tinyurl.com/mwcj62
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Opinion about BBQ rubs tutall Barbecue 10 14-06-2013 04:26 AM
How Long for Dry and Wet Rubs? Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 4 22-01-2013 04:58 PM
Question on BBQ Rubs Wayne Boatwright[_3_] Barbecue 17 19-01-2008 06:19 AM
Dry Rubs? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 0 11-09-2007 11:00 AM
About Rubs? Kent Barbecue 4 03-08-2006 05:48 AM