Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Spare Ribs !!! Thanks to the group

Did a rack of ribs (and some sea food) on Saturday. They must have been good
because they were gone in a matter of minutes. I should of left them in the
smoker longer (4 hours at 200 to 225), but did not allow enough time. They could
of been more tender. Used a rub (night before) and a very thin mopping sauce.

They were done in my new modified brinkmann Smoke nPit. The mod worked great!
Was much easier to control heat.

The next time I will try bringing it up to 250 and see if I can maintain it as
easy as the 200-225 range. Never once did it go below 200, so I am a happy rib
eater.

Thanks to everyone on the group for all the good suggestions.

Chris
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 13, 5:18*pm, Chris > wrote:

> They were done in my new modified brinkmann Smoke nPit. The mod worked great!
> Was much easier to control heat.

You're going to be a much happier camper, and your fires should last
longer now too.

> The next time I will try bringing it up to 250 and see if I can maintain it as
> easy as the 200-225 range. Never once did it go below 200, so I am a happy rib
> eater.

Ribs are the one cut of meat that I try to keep in these lower temps.
Less than 275 at any rate, with 225-250 being the preference. Pork
butt, chicken and beef all take higher heats fine.

As far as timing goes, you're going to learn to make well in advance
just to give yourself a safety buffer, ribs are *usually* pretty
standard, but damned if things don't go wrong at the worst times, cool
fires, odd cut that cooks slow, whatever. Nobody here tries to time
their Q for dinner time. Or they don't after the first time things go
awry anyway.
Nice thing is is that bbq meat holds real well.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chris wrote:
> Did a rack of ribs (and some sea food) on Saturday. They must have been
> good because they were gone in a matter of minutes. I should of left
> them in the smoker longer (4 hours at 200 to 225), but did not allow
> enough time. They could of been more tender. Used a rub (night before)
> and a very thin mopping sauce.
>
> They were done in my new modified brinkmann Smoke nPit. The mod worked
> great! Was much easier to control heat.
>
> The next time I will try bringing it up to 250 and see if I can maintain
> it as easy as the 200-225 range. Never once did it go below 200, so I am
> a happy rib eater.
>
> Thanks to everyone on the group for all the good suggestions.
>
> Chris

Good for you Chris. At least you learned that we want you to learn from
our experience. And it hopefully had a direct impact to your happy cooking.

We all want that. A happy result to our input.

Thanks for your follow-up. Now if you were to be more graphic in your
praise, we'd like you more :-)

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob Muncie wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>> Did a rack of ribs (and some sea food) on Saturday. They must have
>> been good because they were gone in a matter of minutes. I should of
>> left them in the smoker longer (4 hours at 200 to 225), but did not
>> allow enough time. They could of been more tender. Used a rub (night
>> before) and a very thin mopping sauce.
>>
>> They were done in my new modified brinkmann Smoke nPit. The mod worked
>> great! Was much easier to control heat.
>>
>> The next time I will try bringing it up to 250 and see if I can
>> maintain it as easy as the 200-225 range. Never once did it go below
>> 200, so I am a happy rib eater.
>>
>> Thanks to everyone on the group for all the good suggestions.
>>
>> Chris

> Good for you Chris. At least you learned that we want you to learn from
> our experience. And it hopefully had a direct impact to your happy cooking.
>
> We all want that. A happy result to our input.
>
> Thanks for your follow-up. Now if you were to be more graphic in your
> praise, we'd like you more :-)
>
> Bob

I bow to the group and had three scotches in honor of the "GREAT" group and will
smoke more and more food this weekend and drink more beer.

Chris
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chris wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>> Chris wrote:
>>> Did a rack of ribs (and some sea food) on Saturday. They must have
>>> been good because they were gone in a matter of minutes. I should of
>>> left them in the smoker longer (4 hours at 200 to 225), but did not
>>> allow enough time. They could of been more tender. Used a rub (night
>>> before) and a very thin mopping sauce.
>>>
>>> They were done in my new modified brinkmann Smoke nPit. The mod
>>> worked great! Was much easier to control heat.
>>>
>>> The next time I will try bringing it up to 250 and see if I can
>>> maintain it as easy as the 200-225 range. Never once did it go below
>>> 200, so I am a happy rib eater.
>>>
>>> Thanks to everyone on the group for all the good suggestions.
>>>
>>> Chris

>> Good for you Chris. At least you learned that we want you to learn
>> from our experience. And it hopefully had a direct impact to your
>> happy cooking.
>>
>> We all want that. A happy result to our input.
>>
>> Thanks for your follow-up. Now if you were to be more graphic in your
>> praise, we'd like you more :-)
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I bow to the group and had three scotches in honor of the "GREAT" group
> and will smoke more and more food this weekend and drink more beer.
>
> Chris

Thanks Chris - Do you have a few pics now :-)

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob Muncie wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>> Bob Muncie wrote:

>>> Good for you Chris. At least you learned that we want you to learn
>>> from our experience. And it hopefully had a direct impact to your
>>> happy cooking.
>>>
>>> We all want that. A happy result to our input.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your follow-up. Now if you were to be more graphic in your
>>> praise, we'd like you more :-)
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> I bow to the group and had three scotches in honor of the "GREAT"
>> group and will smoke more and more food this weekend and drink more
>> beer.
>>
>> Chris

> Thanks Chris - Do you have a few pics now :-)
>
> Bob

See pics here

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...view=slideshow
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chris wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>> Chris wrote:

>>> I bow to the group and had three scotches in honor of the "GREAT"
>>> group and will smoke more and more food this weekend and drink more
>>> beer.
>>>
>>> Chris

>> Thanks Chris - Do you have a few pics now :-)
>>
>> Bob

> See pics here
>
> http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...view=slideshow

Nice looking pork and cooking equipment. So where is the invite :-)

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob Muncie wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>> Bob Muncie wrote:

>>> Thanks Chris - Do you have a few pics now :-)
>>>
>>> Bob

>> See pics here
>>
>> http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...view=slideshow
>>

> Nice looking pork and cooking equipment. So where is the invite :-)
>
> Bob

Any time you are in North East North Carolina!!! Just let me know

Chris
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chris wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>> Chris wrote:

>>> See pics here
>>>
>>> http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...view=slideshow
>>>

>> Nice looking pork and cooking equipment. So where is the invite :-)
>>
>> Bob

> Any time you are in North East North Carolina!!! Just let me know
>
> Chris

I'm tucking this email away... I will call you on it if given the
opportunity :-)

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob Muncie wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>> Bob Muncie wrote:

>>> Nice looking pork and cooking equipment. So where is the invite :-)
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Any time you are in North East North Carolina!!! Just let me know
>>
>> Chris

> I'm tucking this email away... I will call you on it if given the
> opportunity :-)
>
> Bob

That will work

Chris

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Chris" > wrote in message
snip
> The next time I will try bringing it up to 250 and see if I can maintain
> it as easy as the 200-225 range. Never once did it go below 200, so I am a
> happy rib eater.

snip
> Chris

Chris,

Go ahead and try cooking ribs around 300F-325F sometime, should be just as
good, might render more fat out, maybe. Be done quicker for sure. Oh, and
let meat warm to room temperature before cooking if not doing so already.

piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

piedmont wrote:
> "Chris" > wrote in message
> snip
>> The next time I will try bringing it up to 250 and see if I can
>> maintain it as easy as the 200-225 range. Never once did it go below
>> 200, so I am a happy rib eater.

> snip
>> Chris

> Chris,
>
> Go ahead and try cooking ribs around 300F-325F sometime, should be just
> as good, might render more fat out, maybe. Be done quicker for sure. Oh,
> and let meat warm to room temperature before cooking if not doing so
> already.
>
> piedmont

I have done that before and I prefer 225-250 and a long smoke. Just my preference.

Chris
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 15-Jul-2009, "piedmont" > wrote:

> "Chris" > wrote in message
> snip
> > The next time I will try bringing it up to 250 and see if I can
> > maintain
> > it as easy as the 200-225 range. Never once did it go below 200, so I
> > am a
> > happy rib eater.

> snip
> > Chris

> Chris,
>
> Go ahead and try cooking ribs around 300F-325F sometime, should be just
> as
> good, might render more fat out, maybe. Be done quicker for sure. Oh, and
>
> let meat warm to room temperature before cooking if not doing so already.
>
> piedmont

Can't agree with Piedmont here. Ribs have a fair amount of collagen (read
gristle) to render and it can't be hurried too much. By the same note, they

can go well above 225 and still render well. I do them all the time at
270° with very good results. Okay, I'll confess, I haven't tried cooking
them
at 300 - 325°. Might work okay, but you have to be damn fast at getting
them off before they over cook. I know 270 is safe and gets them off in
about 4 hours.

--
Brick said that.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:49:06 -0400, Bob Muncie >
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your follow-up. Now if you were to be more graphic in your
>> praise, we'd like you more :-)

> Next cook, he can do two racks and send me one to evaluate. I'll do
> that free of charge, even!!!
>
> <g>

Better yet, he can make three racks as easily as two, and send me one
also :-) (I'll share with Des, as she seems to be the nicest person on
the block for the moment).

I'll praise someone for a long time here if they do good work.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...
snip

> Can't agree with Piedmont here. Ribs have a fair amount of collagen (read
> gristle) to render and it can't be hurried too much. By the same note,
> they
>
> can go well above 225 and still render well. I do them all the time at
> 270° with very good results. Okay, I'll confess, I haven't tried cooking
> them
> at 300 - 325°. Might work okay, but you have to be damn fast at getting
> them off before they over cook. I know 270 is safe and gets them off in
> about 4 hours.
>
> --
> Brick said that.

Next time I cook ribs I'll check the temp to see what I cook at, can't say
that I've done that recently. As well as time to cook.
FYI: I cook in an upright, indirect, with a double stacked 'piedmont water
pan', no sand, no water. Time wise it's roughly 3-4 hours. Using briquettes.
Whatever I'm doing they do come out pulled away from the bone - tender. LOL
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Jul-2009, "piedmont" > wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ster.com...
> snip
> >
> > Can't agree with Piedmont here. Ribs have a fair amount of collagen
> > (read
> > gristle) to render and it can't be hurried too much. By the same note,
> > they
> >
> > can go well above 225 and still render well. I do them all the time at
> > 270° with very good results. Okay, I'll confess, I haven't tried
> > cooking
> > them
> > at 300 - 325°. Might work okay, but you have to be damn fast at getting
> > them off before they over cook. I know 270 is safe and gets them off
> > in
> > about 4 hours.
> >
> > --
> > Brick said that.

> Next time I cook ribs I'll check the temp to see what I cook at, can't
> say
> that I've done that recently. As well as time to cook.
> FYI: I cook in an upright, indirect, with a double stacked 'piedmont
> water
> pan', no sand, no water. Time wise it's roughly 3-4 hours. Using
> briquettes.
> Whatever I'm doing they do come out pulled away from the bone - tender.
> LOL
> piedmont

Why bother? Sounds to me like you're cooking in the right range as it is.
Ribs are coming out good. What else is worth knowing?

--
Brick (Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess.
They always run out of other people's money.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> piedmont said:
>
>> Next time I cook ribs I'll check the temp to see what I cook at,
>> can't say that I've done that recently. As well as time to cook.
>> FYI: I cook in an upright, indirect, with a double stacked 'piedmont
>> water pan', no sand, no water.

> IIRC you put a spacer between two pans and leave them empty?
>
> MBKC

I got an honorable mention on the Virtual Cooker,
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/piedmontpan.html
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"piedmont" > wrote in message
> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
>> piedmont said:
>>
>>> Next time I cook ribs I'll check the temp to see what I cook at,
>>> can't say that I've done that recently. As well as time to cook.
>>> FYI: I cook in an upright, indirect, with a double stacked 'piedmont
>>> water pan', no sand, no water.

>> IIRC you put a spacer between two pans and leave them empty?
>>
>> MBKC

> I got an honorable mention on the Virtual Cooker,
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/piedmontpan.html
> piedmont

I've not seen that before, but it is a good idea. I can see many
advantages, especially clean up of the drippings.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I know 270 is safe and gets them off
> in about 4 hours.

I did some spares last weekend and ran the temp at225 and looked in at the
three hour mark and they were done done done. it was the darnedest thing.
I guess when they're done they're done. They had a good flavor though they
were a little dry.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

motley me wrote:
> I know 270 is safe and gets them off
>> in about 4 hours.
>>

> I did some spares last weekend and ran the temp at225 and looked in at the
> three hour mark and they were done done done. it was the darnedest thing.
> I guess when they're done they're done. They had a good flavor though they
> were a little dry.

I do know that even if your temp was spot on, you could have major
differences in time and result on three things:

Closeness to the heat source (and was your measurement at the grill, the
meat, or in the lid?

The amount and time of brining (commercial salt brining vs. local and
"now" brining can have an impact).

And finally, the actual meatiness of the ribs.

Just my experience.

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Jul-2009, motley me > wrote:

> I know 270 is safe and gets them off
> > in about 4 hours.
> >

> I did some spares last weekend and ran the temp at225 and looked in at
> the
> three hour mark and they were done done done. it was the darnedest
> thing.
> I guess when they're done they're done. They had a good flavor though
> they
> were a little dry.

I have had that happen to me. I know it had to be from too much heat,
but never did figure out what really happened. In the hot part of summer
here, I have to watch it close. The pit will run really got without some
extra intervention. Anybody that's cooked a few ribs knows that they
shouldn't get done in three hours at 225°, but shit happens. (To me)

--
Brick said that.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in news:4a633abf$0$25022
:

> On 18-Jul-2009, motley me > wrote:
>
>> I know 270 is safe and gets them off
>> > in about 4 hours.
>> >

>> I did some spares last weekend and ran the temp at225 and looked in at
>> the
>> three hour mark and they were done done done. it was the darnedest
>> thing.
>> I guess when they're done they're done. They had a good flavor though
>> they
>> were a little dry.

> I have had that happen to me. I know it had to be from too much heat,
> but never did figure out what really happened. In the hot part of summer
> here, I have to watch it close. The pit will run really got without some
> extra intervention. Anybody that's cooked a few ribs knows that they
> shouldn't get done in three hours at 225°, but shit happens. (To me)

Yeah, it must have run up at some point, but i never did catch it. They
were'nt too bad cause they all dissappeared.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
:

> motley me said:
>> I know 270 is safe and gets them off
>>> in about 4 hours.
>>>

>> I did some spares last weekend and ran the temp at225 and looked in
>> at the three hour mark and they were done done done. it was the
>> darnedest thing. I guess when they're done they're done. They had a
>> good flavor though they were a little dry.

> Check the weight of the individual racks and look at how thick they
> are. This will give you a better idea of how fast they will cook. The
> heavier and thicker, the longer the cook. That's just one of many
> possible variables though.
>
> MartyB

will do. thanks
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:37:06 -0700, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:26:18 -0400, Bob Muncie >
>wrote:
>
>> (I'll share with Des, as she seems to be the nicest person on
>>the block for the moment).

>That'd be why I'm so very fond of her. Or, part of it. She's a very
>nice person. Except when it's right not to be.

You'd definitely know, sweetheart.
(dainty little chomp in your general direction... <g>)

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

whty let the meat get to room temp? and do you do this for all meats or just
ribs? Lee

"piedmont" > wrote in message
> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ster.com...
> snip
>>
>> Can't agree with Piedmont here. Ribs have a fair amount of collagen (read
>> gristle) to render and it can't be hurried too much. By the same note,
>> they
>>
>> can go well above 225 and still render well. I do them all the time at
>> 270° with very good results. Okay, I'll confess, I haven't tried cooking
>> them
>> at 300 - 325°. Might work okay, but you have to be damn fast at getting
>> them off before they over cook. I know 270 is safe and gets them off in
>> about 4 hours.
>>
>> --
>> Brick said that.

> Next time I cook ribs I'll check the temp to see what I cook at, can't say
> that I've done that recently. As well as time to cook.
> FYI: I cook in an upright, indirect, with a double stacked 'piedmont water
> pan', no sand, no water. Time wise it's roughly 3-4 hours. Using
> briquettes.
> Whatever I'm doing they do come out pulled away from the bone - tender.
> LOL
> piedmont

How lbs of spare ribs? notbob General Cooking 25 18-02-2012 10:07 PM
Spare ribs biig General Cooking 20 25-03-2007 08:42 PM
Spare Ribs Mom2SamTiny Recipes (moderated) 0 18-12-2006 12:38 PM
Back Ribs vs Spare Ribs - Cooking/Smoking/Grilling Bob Hayden Barbecue 6 05-01-2004 06:46 PM
dry spare ribs No1 Uwoodknow General Cooking 0 24-12-2003 05:40 PM