Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default North Carolina BBQ Ideas

Will be heading from South Florida to the Ashville, NC area in search
of good Q next week. Any ideas out there? I've heard about 12 Bones
that my pres has added some fame to, but there must be others. I want
to partake in local fare although hoping for spicy Q.
Thanks in advance - bk
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Barry" > wrote in message
> Will be heading from South Florida to the Ashville, NC area in
> search
> of good Q next week. Any ideas out there? I've heard about 12
> Bones
> that my pres has added some fame to, but there must be others. I
> want
> to partake in local fare although hoping for spicy Q.
> Thanks in advance - bk

The western part of NC is best known for "Lexington style" ribs,
which don't appeal to me. On you way up, take I-70 in and have a
plate of pulled pork and veggies at Barbecue Lodge or Don Murray's
in Raleigh. If you're near Rocky Mount, consider Gardners, which
is an icon of the Eastern NC style as well. Going on west to
Ashville, another great place is Stamy's in Greensboro. The last
time I was there, they were still cooking with ONLY wood coals.

Heck, since you won't be going on over to Memphis, stop at Red Hot
and Blue in Raleigh for their interpretation of Memphis style
(dry) ribs. If you are still hungry, go back to Barbecue Lodge
and get a plate of chicken livers and gizzards. Send some to me.

--
Nonny

Giving money and power to
liberals is like giving
whiskey and car keys
to teenage boys.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Barry wrote:
> Will be heading from South Florida to the Ashville, NC area in search
> of good Q next week. Any ideas out there? I've heard about 12 Bones
> that my pres has added some fame to, but there must be others. I want
> to partake in local fare although hoping for spicy Q.
> Thanks in advance - bk

You might want to try Fat Buddies http://www.fatbuddiesribsandbbq.com/ We ate
there quite a few years ago and would go back.

Where ever you go please post a report back to all of us.

Chris
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> The western part of NC is best known for "Lexington style" ribs, which
> don't appeal to me. On you way up, take I-70 in and have a plate of
> pulled pork and veggies at Barbecue Lodge or Don Murray's in Raleigh.
> If you're near Rocky Mount, consider Gardners, which is an icon of the
> Eastern NC style as well. Going on west to Ashville, another great
> place is Stamy's in Greensboro. The last time I was there, they were
> still cooking with ONLY wood coals.
>
> Heck, since you won't be going on over to Memphis, stop at Red Hot and
> Blue in Raleigh for their interpretation of Memphis style (dry) ribs.
> If you are still hungry, go back to Barbecue Lodge and get a plate of
> chicken livers and gizzards. Send some to me.

Nonny,

I agree that Lexington Q is not my choice. It is different
with black pepper and the such, but I prefer Eastern NC Q.

Unfortunitly Don Murry's has closed and in IMHO Barbecue
Lodge has slipped several notches.

Bruce, you mentioned that you are heading towards Ashville.
I can list some places but am not sure that you will be in
the middle of the Carolinas.

Wilson, NC Parkers- Delicious.

Chapel Hill, NC- a must see! Allen and Sons (hardwood Hickory)

When you go over to the Greensboro Area you have A & M in
Mebane (also hardwood hickory but more of an all around
checked table cloth diner). Also is Hurshery's sp? Go to the
on on Hwy 70. Not the others.

Good luck. Be sure to buy a desert at Allen and Son's.

Have a safe trip.

Craig
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Craig Watts wrote:
>> The western part of NC is best known for "Lexington style" ribs, which
>> don't appeal to me. On you way up, take I-70 in and have a plate of
>> pulled pork and veggies at Barbecue Lodge or Don Murray's in Raleigh.
>> If you're near Rocky Mount, consider Gardners, which is an icon of the
>> Eastern NC style as well. Going on west to Ashville, another great
>> place is Stamy's in Greensboro. The last time I was there, they were
>> still cooking with ONLY wood coals.
>>
>> Heck, since you won't be going on over to Memphis, stop at Red Hot and
>> Blue in Raleigh for their interpretation of Memphis style (dry) ribs.
>> If you are still hungry, go back to Barbecue Lodge and get a plate of
>> chicken livers and gizzards. Send some to me.

> Nonny,
>
> I agree that Lexington Q is not my choice. It is different with black
> pepper and the such, but I prefer Eastern NC Q.
>
> Unfortunitly Don Murry's has closed and in IMHO Barbecue Lodge has
> slipped several notches.
>
> Bruce, you mentioned that you are heading towards Ashville. I can list
> some places but am not sure that you will be in the middle of the
> Carolinas.
>
> Wilson, NC Parkers- Delicious.
>
> Chapel Hill, NC- a must see! Allen and Sons (hardwood Hickory)
>
> When you go over to the Greensboro Area you have A & M in Mebane (also
> hardwood hickory but more of an all around checked table cloth diner).
> Also is Hurshery's sp? Go to the on on Hwy 70. Not the others.
>
> Good luck. Be sure to buy a desert at Allen and Son's.
>
> Have a safe trip.
>
> Craig

Reply to my own post. Go to the Allen and Son's on Hwy 86.
Just a mile from I-40 north from Chapel Hill. It is the
original location that cooks over wood.

Craig in Raleigh NC

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Craig Watts" > wrote in
message
>> The western part of NC is best known for "Lexington style"
>> ribs, which don't appeal to me. On you way up, take I-70 in
>> and have a plate of pulled pork and veggies at Barbecue Lodge
>> or Don Murray's in Raleigh. If you're near Rocky Mount,
>> consider Gardners, which is an icon of the Eastern NC style as
>> well. Going on west to Ashville, another great place is
>> Stamy's in Greensboro. The last time I was there, they were
>> still cooking with ONLY wood coals.
>>
>> Heck, since you won't be going on over to Memphis, stop at Red
>> Hot and Blue in Raleigh for their interpretation of Memphis
>> style (dry) ribs. If you are still hungry, go back to Barbecue
>> Lodge and get a plate of chicken livers and gizzards. Send
>> some to me.

> Nonny,
>
> I agree that Lexington Q is not my choice. It is different with
> black pepper and the such, but I prefer Eastern NC Q.
>
> Unfortunitly Don Murry's has closed and in IMHO Barbecue Lodge
> has slipped several notches.

What a shame! I always felt that Don Murrays was a close second
to Barbecue Lodge, which was strange in the he was the original
owner who sold out and built the one down the street on Capital
Blvd. to compete. My neighbor had an office fairly close and we'd
eat at Murrays occasionally, but would usually hit Barbecue Lodge
when it was just the wife or family.

I'd guess we ate there weekly and got to know most of the folk,
including the old timer on the cash register. Every time I'd go
up to pay, she'd ask, "Was everything OK?" The expected answer
was, "Yes," but one time I decided to have some fun. When she
asked the question, I told her, "I couldn't hardly choke the stuff
down. It was awful." The poor lady about died right then and
there until I started laughing. From then on, she'd ask me, "Did
you choke today?"

We had a party in the late 90's, with a number of folk coming in
for a long weekend, staying at our place and the new motel in Wake
Forest. The theme of the party was NC Pigout, and everyone was
looking forward to the big meal planned at Barbecue Lodge on
Capital Blvd. Some of the folk were from Long Island, NYC and New
Jersey and many had never tasted NC style pulled pork.

One gent from Long Island never understood that there were
different kinds of barbecue and when he ordered the barbecue,
expected sauced ribs. When his plate arrived with the incredible
portion of Barbecue Lodge's pulled pork, he about died off and
sent it back. He settled for fried chicken and griped the whole
meal about the horrible barbecue there. <grin>

We had supper there in late May and sampled a good number of
different items on the menu, including the pulled pork, fried
chicken and particularly the gizzards and livers. The consensus
of everyone was that the food was still between excellent and
whatever would be even better, comparing it quite favorably to
Gardners, where we also had a lunch. There WAS a difference in
some of their other locations, could one of them be what you're
describing?

--
Nonny

Giving money and power to
liberals is like giving
whiskey and car keys
to teenage boys.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Barry" > wrote in message
> Will be heading from South Florida to the Ashville, NC area in search
> of good Q next week. Any ideas out there? I've heard about 12 Bones
> that my pres has added some fame to, but there must be others. I want
> to partake in local fare although hoping for spicy Q.
> Thanks in advance - bk

My family just got back from a week in Asheville a few days ago. We tried
to go to Luella's, locally touted. Using information from the city visitor
center, we went there only to find a sign in the window that they'd moved a
month ago. We then went to their new location, on a Monday night, and were
told there was a half hour wait. While waiting, a disgruntled family walked
out saying that the kitchen was out of ribs and pork (!). We then asked the
hostess if this was true, and she indicated yes, something I suspect she was
aware of but chose not to tell us when we first started waiting.
We then left and went to the Fiddling Pig, which was very satisfactory.
Seated immediately, really friendly staff and waiter, and a bonus of a good
live bluegrass band (every night, and not so loud that you can't talk to
each other). Some of the tables are picnic tables with a bucket in the
middle with a roll of paper towels. I found the ribs to be quite good,
falling off the bone, mild smoke. Not, however, what I'd call very spicy if
that's what you like. I had these dry - there was a sweet red bbq sauce, a
mustard sauce, and a vinegar sauce on the table if desired. The brisket was
also quite tender, a little less flavorful. My wife really liked the
chicken, although I didn't sample this. We had our 8 month old grandson with
us, and the staff fawned over him which of course we found endearing.
Maybe not the pinnacle of bbq, but we really enjoyed this and that's
what counts. I'd recommend it.
Chuck B.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

C. Berlin wrote:
> "Barry" > wrote in message
>> Will be heading from South Florida to the Ashville, NC area in search
>> of good Q next week. Any ideas out there? I've heard about 12 Bones
>> that my pres has added some fame to, but there must be others. I want
>> to partake in local fare although hoping for spicy Q.
>> Thanks in advance - bk

> My family just got back from a week in Asheville a few days ago. We
> tried to go to Luella's, locally touted. Using information from the
> city visitor center, we went there only to find a sign in the window
> that they'd moved a month ago. We then went to their new location,
> on a Monday night, and were told there was a half hour wait. While
> waiting, a disgruntled family walked out saying that the kitchen was
> out of ribs and pork (!).

Sounds like they do their pork and ribs right. Running out is always a good
sign; high demand and the restaurant doesn't re-heat pre-cooked meat.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 15, 8:12*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> C. Berlin wrote:
> > "Barry" > wrote in message
> >> Will be heading from South Florida to the Ashville, NC area in search
> >> of good Q next week. Any ideas out there? I've heard about 12 Bones
> >> that my pres has added some fame to, but there must be others. I want
> >> to partake in local fare although hoping for spicy Q.
> >> Thanks in advance - bk

> > My family just got back from a week in Asheville a few days ago. *We
> > tried to go to Luella's, locally touted. Using information from the
> > city visitor center, we went there only to find a sign in the window
> > that they'd moved a month ago. *We then went to their new location,
> > on a Monday night, and were told there was a half hour wait. *While
> > waiting, a disgruntled family walked out saying that the kitchen was
> > out of ribs and pork (!).

> Sounds like they do their pork and ribs right. Running out is always a good
> sign; high demand and the restaurant doesn't re-heat pre-cooked meat.
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? * *"To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Thank you all. We'll be in search for these and others. I will post
our reviews and pics if someone tells me how.
Barry