Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default I ended up buying the Brinkmann

The WSM was too expensive

thanks to everyone that helped me.

What is this I read about modifying the Brinkmann?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

david wrote:
> The WSM was too expensive
>
> thanks to everyone that helped me.
>
> What is this I read about modifying the Brinkmann?

David - The significant changes are to have the legs attached on the
outside, put new legs ( 1/4 " threaded bolt with associated nuts and
washers), on it. Possibly make the air flow better with drilling extra
holes in both the water bowl, and the lid. Here's the links to know mo

http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

and

http://www1.thesmokering.com/forum/v...&highlight=ecb

and

http://outnaround.com/ecbmod/index.html

There are more sites with more ideas, but these should get you started.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

david wrote:
> The WSM was too expensive
>
> thanks to everyone that helped me.
>
> What is this I read about modifying the Brinkmann?

The Brinkman Gourmet doesn't need modifications. The only changes I made
were to put sand in the water bowl and a few lava rocks in the fire pan.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> david wrote:
>> The WSM was too expensive
>> thanks to everyone that helped me.
>> What is this I read about modifying the Brinkmann?

> The Brinkman Gourmet doesn't need modifications. The only changes I made
> were to put sand in the water bowl and a few lava rocks in the fire pan.

Need? No. Makes better? Yes.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> david wrote:
>> The WSM was too expensive thanks to everyone that helped me. What is
>> this I read about modifying the Brinkmann?

> David - The significant changes are to have the legs attached on the
> outside, put new legs ( 1/4 " threaded bolt with associated nuts and
> washers), on it. Possibly make the air flow better with drilling extra
> holes in both the water bowl,

Errrrr Bob.....don't you mean holes in the fire pan? Otherwise those that
use water in the water pan may have a slight issue keeping the fire up to
temp. :-)

I smoked many a fine butt on my ECB before moving up to a sturdier unit. It
can be done without modifications, but does require more time and effort in
the fire control/maintanence department.

KW

>and the lid. Here's the links to know mo
>
> http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html
>
> and
>
> http://www1.thesmokering.com/forum/v...&highlight=ecb
>
> and
>
> http://outnaround.com/ecbmod/index.html
>
> There are more sites with more ideas, but these should get you started.
>
> Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

KW wrote:
> "Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
>> david wrote:
>>> The WSM was too expensive thanks to everyone that helped me. What is
>>> this I read about modifying the Brinkmann?

>> David - The significant changes are to have the legs attached on the
>> outside, put new legs ( 1/4 " threaded bolt with associated nuts and
>> washers), on it. Possibly make the air flow better with drilling extra
>> holes in both the water bowl,

> Errrrr Bob.....don't you mean holes in the fire pan? Otherwise those that
> use water in the water pan may have a slight issue keeping the fire up to
> temp. :-)
>
> I smoked many a fine butt on my ECB before moving up to a sturdier unit. It
> can be done without modifications, but does require more time and effort in
> the fire control/maintanence department.
>
> KW
>
>> and the lid. Here's the links to know mo
>>
>> http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://www1.thesmokering.com/forum/v...&highlight=ecb
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://outnaround.com/ecbmod/index.html
>>
>> There are more sites with more ideas, but these should get you started.
>>
>> Bob

I suppose putting the holes in the water pan would have as much value as
added holes to my head :-) I guess I gave myself a lol today.

Thanks!

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> I suppose putting the holes in the water pan would have as much value as
> added holes to my head :-) I guess I gave myself a lol today.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bob

With all the sand and brick mass solutions recently
discussed in the water pan I wasn't going to touch that one.

Craig- with water in his ECB pan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Craig Watts wrote:

>> I suppose putting the holes in the water pan would have as much value
>> as added holes to my head :-) I guess I gave myself a lol today.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Bob

> With all the sand and brick mass solutions recently discussed in the
> water pan I wasn't going to touch that one.
>
> Craig- with water in his ECB pan

That's okay Craig, and in truth, I am a little bit ashamed where those
twists and turns went. And yes, I left my self open all in good fun, so
had you made a funny at my expense, I would have laughed with you.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

david wrote:
> The WSM was too expensive
>
> thanks to everyone that helped me.
>
> What is this I read about modifying the Brinkmann?

Which model of the Brinkmann? This is pretty important. The Gourmet
Charcoal needs no modifications, eg.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> david wrote:
>> The WSM was too expensive thanks to everyone that helped me. What is
>> this I read about modifying the Brinkmann?

> Which model of the Brinkmann? This is pretty important. The Gourmet
> Charcoal needs no modifications, eg.
>
> -sw

I agree, most of the 'improvement' sites I've seen are for the El Cheapo
Brinkmann only. Also, The Gourmet doesn't have legs, it sits on a base,
where the ECB has legs and the coal pan sits on top the legs inside.

piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

piedmont wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> david wrote:
>>> The WSM was too expensive thanks to everyone that helped me. What
>>> is this I read about modifying the Brinkmann?

>> Which model of the Brinkmann? This is pretty important. The Gourmet
>> Charcoal needs no modifications, eg.
>>
>> -sw

> I agree, most of the 'improvement' sites I've seen are for the El Cheapo
> Brinkmann only. Also, The Gourmet doesn't have legs, it sits on a base,
> where the ECB has legs and the coal pan sits on top the legs inside.

My Gourmet has little legs on the bottom pan where the fire pan sits.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
snip

> My Gourmet has little legs on the bottom pan where the fire pan sits
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Correct and an El Cheapo Brinkman, which isn't your model, has metal legs
that screw on to the body of the cooker and has no 'base'.

Go here to see both, the 'gourmet' at top, scroll down just a little to see
the ECB. They call it the 'sportsman'

http://www.grillsdirect.com/charcoal...mokergrill.cfm

piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

piedmont wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> snip
>
>> My Gourmet has little legs on the bottom pan where the fire pan sits
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

> Correct and an El Cheapo Brinkman, which isn't your model, has metal
> legs that screw on to the body of the cooker and has no 'base'.
>
> Go here to see both, the 'gourmet' at top, scroll down just a little to
> see the ECB. They call it the 'sportsman'
>
> http://www.grillsdirect.com/charcoal...mokergrill.cfm
>

> piedmont

I see. I must have gotten quite a bargain. I paid a lot less for the
Gourmet than that site. <g>