FoodBanter.com

-   -   WSM or Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/174349-wsm-brinkmann-gourmet-charcoal.html)

david 09-07-2009 03:07 AM

WSM or Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal

Which one should I get? I'm a newbie to bbq.

Dave Bugg 09-07-2009 03:25 AM

david wrote:
> Which one should I get? I'm a newbie to bbq.

WSM.

--
Dave

[email protected][_2_] 09-07-2009 03:52 AM

On Jul 8, 9:25*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> david wrote:
> > Which one should I get? I'm a newbie to bbq.

> WSM.

+1.

No doubt about it. Do the mods and it is a top flight piece of
equipment. There is a reason it is a fixture on the barbecue circuit.

Robert

Dana K6JQ 09-07-2009 03:54 AM

On Jul 8, 7:25*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> david wrote:
> > Which one should I get? I'm a newbie to bbq.

> WSM.

What Dave said.

Dana

Ed Pawlowski 09-07-2009 10:48 AM

"david" > wrote in message
> Which one should I get? I'm a newbie to bbq.

Looking at the two side by side, it can be difficult to justify the price
difference. Then you cook on them and find the WSM is far superior.

sqwertz 09-07-2009 05:09 PM

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 02:07:40 +0000 (UTC), david wrote:

> Which one should I get? I'm a newbie to bbq.

Which one can you afford?

-sw

D&M JOHNSTON 09-07-2009 07:59 PM

"david" > wrote in message
> Which one should I get? I'm a newbie to bbq.

The WSM seems to have the biggest following and the best back-up warranty by
Weber. Lots of folks winning many BBQ comps with the WSM so that should say
something about the way they cook.
Lots to learn and when you buy a WSM, you read the instructions ONCE then
store them somewhere you won't see them again and go he
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Go to the forum section and learn your heart out...great bunch of folks
there.

Cheers

DJ

Janet Wilder[_1_] 09-07-2009 10:49 PM

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 02:07:40 +0000 (UTC), david wrote:
>
>> Which one should I get? I'm a newbie to bbq.

> Which one can you afford?
>
> -sw

I was not about to throw away the price of a WSM when I had never done
any meat-smoking. I got the Brinkman Gourmet and some excellent advice
from the pros here on a.f.b. I have since done several pork butts and
some ribs. Thanks to a great heads-up, I'm about to do my first brisket
this weekend.

FTR, I've eaten Q all over the US so I do know what good Q is and my
Brinkman produces good Q. For July 4, I did a butt and pulled it,
putting the meat into a crock pot to take to a party. There was not a
shred of meat left over, though there were plenty of sausages, hot dogs
and a whole pot of brisket shreds were hardly touched. I guess I did
good <g>

I don't use the smoker all that often, maybe once a month or so. It's
not going to wear out on me at that rate. I put some money into a remote
thermometer and that was worth every penny.

Might I suggest that you go with the less expensive unit and then decide
if you want to continue smoking, will be doing a lot of smoking and
other things that justify the price difference. I think the main reason
for the preference of the WSM over the Brinkman Gourmet is that the WSM
is much sturdier so if you are going to be smoking every weekend, maybe
you need the Weber.

JMTCW

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Dave Bugg 10-07-2009 12:47 AM

Janet Wilder wrote:

> ....... I think
> the main reason for the preference of the WSM over the Brinkman
> Gourmet is that the WSM is much sturdier so if you are going to be
> smoking every weekend, maybe you need the Weber.

While the WSM is sturdy, the main reasons for it's recommendation to newbies
is its easy learning curve, the absolute ease of maintaining temperature,
and the long burn time of it's fuel. The Brinkman just can't touch it in
those categories, which are the highest frustration level for newbies
wanting to learn bbq.

--
Dave

Ed Pawlowski 10-07-2009 12:52 AM

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

> . I think the main reason for the preference of the WSM over the Brinkman
> Gourmet is that the WSM is much sturdier so if you are going to be smoking
> every weekend, maybe you need the Weber.

Sturdiness is only one factor. Cooking ability and control are the big
factors. Looking at them side by side you don't see all the differences.
Cooking on them is different completely.

When you'd been riding a bike for years, driving a Yugo is nice, but once
you drive a Bonneville, there is no going back.

Bob Muncie 10-07-2009 01:04 AM

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> . I think the main reason for the preference of the WSM over the Brinkman
>> Gourmet is that the WSM is much sturdier so if you are going to be smoking
>> every weekend, maybe you need the Weber.

> Sturdiness is only one factor. Cooking ability and control are the big
> factors. Looking at them side by side you don't see all the differences.
> Cooking on them is different completely.
>
> When you'd been riding a bike for years, driving a Yugo is nice, but once
> you drive a Bonneville, there is no going back.

However, if you do the recommended modifications to the ECB (brinkman),
using your analogy, you put the 442 into the Yugo, you might be pretty
happy with the Yugo :-)

Bob

sqwertz 10-07-2009 02:42 AM

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 16:47:22 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> ....... I think
>> the main reason for the preference of the WSM over the Brinkman
>> Gourmet is that the WSM is much sturdier so if you are going to be
>> smoking every weekend, maybe you need the Weber.

> While the WSM is sturdy, the main reasons for it's recommendation to newbies
> is its easy learning curve, the absolute ease of maintaining temperature,
> and the long burn time of it's fuel. The Brinkman just can't touch it in
> those categories, which are the highest frustration level for newbies
> wanting to learn bbq.

The Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal is much easier to handler than the
lower cost ECB. It maintains a very steady temp and no frustrations
once you get used to it (uunless you consider checking the temp and
smoke every hour a hassle - I don't).

-sw

[email protected][_2_] 10-07-2009 07:03 AM

On Jul 9, 4:48*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> Looking at the two side by side, it can be difficult to justify the price
> difference. *Then you cook on them and find the WSM is far superior.

No kidding. I had never owned a pit that I didn't have to spend the
night tending, resulting in me being a little on the cranky side from
time to time.

The WSM was the first pit that I owned that I didn't have to set the
alarm for every hour to check or just spend the night with it on a
long smoke.

I was totally hooked when I did my second smoke, and left it out all
night and didn't check it for about 8 - 9 hours. It had a large
brisket in it, and overnight it lost a whopping 10 degrees from the
happy spot of about 280.

Now, I would be shocked if I built the fire and left it out over night
with a piece of meat on it and it wasn't almost perfect.

Long smokes are certainly its forte.

Robert

jj 17-07-2009 06:56 AM

"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

>While the WSM is sturdy, the main reasons for it's recommendation to newbies
>is its easy learning curve, the absolute ease of maintaining temperature,
>and the long burn time of it's fuel. The Brinkman just can't touch it in
>those categories, which are the highest frustration level for newbies
>wanting to learn bbq.

While I know I have hobbled my ECB by using "skinny wood" I can
definitely see how an unmodified ECB would be a lot of work to do a
multi-hour temperature controlled session.

Man I want to get a WSM next! :-) As is obvious from my other posts
I don't know a lot about making true BBQ but I am a decent griller
<dodges old fruit and stuff thrown this way>

And when I was at the store that fateful day about 18 months ago, I
figured "just $30? what the heck, I can use it as a grill too!"

I like distance between the fire bowl and the upper grill - it's got
to be a doozy of a flare up to get that high when grilling.

jj the barbaQarian