Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Independance Day Menu

Just me, wife, and youngest son.

Menu:

Pulled pork cooked with mesquite and Jack Daniel's oak
Hot Italian sausage tossed in olive oil and smoked
Home made cole slaw
Sweet corn roasted in the smoker
Grilled potato wedges with olive oil, garlic, onion, black pepper, and
rosemary
Kieser buns and French bread
Beer and Coke for drinks
Spaghetti ice cream for desert

What is everyone else fixin?

BTW, anyone who wants to stop by is welcome. We live in northern IL.
(Mc Henry). Just respond. Time to eat is.......when it's done of
course!

--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

VegA wrote:

> Just me, wife, and youngest son.
>
> Menu:
>
> Pulled pork cooked with mesquite and Jack Daniel's oak
> Hot Italian sausage tossed in olive oil and smoked
> Home made cole slaw
> Sweet corn roasted in the smoker
> Grilled potato wedges with olive oil, garlic, onion, black pepper, and
> rosemary
> Kieser buns and French bread
> Beer and Coke for drinks
> Spaghetti ice cream for desert
>
> What is everyone else fixin?
>
> BTW, anyone who wants to stop by is welcome. We live in northern IL.
> (Mc Henry). Just respond. Time to eat is.......when it's done of
> course!

Looks mighty fine.

One question. I notice you coat the sausage with oil before
smoking. Do you find this helps? My own experience, and it's
only my own, is that I usually get a better result leaving them
dry. Just wondering.

On the menu for me tomorrow will be a not very exciting smoked
pork tenderloin. Trying to keep the calories down.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 20:21:35 -0700, RegForte > wrote:

>VegA wrote:
>
>> Just me, wife, and youngest son.
>>
>> Menu:
>>
>> Pulled pork cooked with mesquite and Jack Daniel's oak
>> Hot Italian sausage tossed in olive oil and smoked
>> Home made cole slaw
>> Sweet corn roasted in the smoker
>> Grilled potato wedges with olive oil, garlic, onion, black pepper, and
>> rosemary
>> Kieser buns and French bread
>> Beer and Coke for drinks
>> Spaghetti ice cream for desert
>>
>> What is everyone else fixin?
>>
>> BTW, anyone who wants to stop by is welcome. We live in northern IL.
>> (Mc Henry). Just respond. Time to eat is.......when it's done of
>> course!

>Looks mighty fine.
>
>One question. I notice you coat the sausage with oil before
>smoking. Do you find this helps? My own experience, and it's
>only my own, is that I usually get a better result leaving them
>dry. Just wondering.
>
>On the menu for me tomorrow will be a not very exciting smoked
>pork tenderloin. Trying to keep the calories down.

I find that the olive oil does 2 things. Smoke does not penetrate the
casing very well so the olive oil helps the smoke flavor. "cling" to
the casing. Also, the oil helps to keep the casing from getting a tad
dry. But it also makes the casing "chewy". Personal preference is what
applies I guess.

Sometimes I put peppers in the olive oil a week ahead of time. This
makes the smoke that clings to the casing have a nice "hot" flavor..

Smoked pork tenderloin, yummy! I grill it as I do like it a bit rare
and it is a very lean cut so there is not allot of fat to keep it
moist.

Enjoy and good luck always!

--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is
entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> I'm doing three racks of St. Louies. One with an asian rub and asian bbq
> sauce I worked up, one with my standard pork rub modified with some
> additional gran garlic, gran onion, kosher salt, and black pepper, to be
> sauced with a combination of my sauce mixed with Arthur Bryant's, and one
> with a new savory rub I've worked up, to be served with my standard sauce
> and a mustard based sauce I have worked up on the side.
>
> Sides will be french fries fresh from the deep fryer, coleslaw, maybe
> some deep fried mushrooms or onion rings or whatever other veggies come
> to hand, in a beer/tempura batter.
>
> Dessert will be sopaipillas and perhaps some key lime pie, or maybe
> raspberry or cherry empanadas. It depends. ;-)
>
> There will be beer. Black and Tans are on my mind.

Damn, that sounds good, Marty. My deep fried mushrooms have always been a
hit.

Batter-fried mushrooms

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbs salt
2 tsps garlic powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 pint beer
oil -- for deep-frying, olive or whatever
36 to 48 medium whole mushrooms

Combine flour, salt, garlic powder, and baking powder in medium bowl. Add
beer and whisk until smooth. Cover and chill 30 minutes. Whisk again, let
stand in refrigerator until ready to use. Batter can be prepared 1 day
ahead if desired. Heat oil to 375 F. Holding stem, dip each mushroom into
batter, covering cap completely. Fry in small batches until golden brown.
Allow oil to return to 375 F before adding next batch. Drain. They'll be
eaten as fast as you can cook 'em!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 3, 6:13*pm, VegA > wrote:

> What is everyone else fixin?

I'm a guest at a friend's party. I smoke two chickens last night,
made 4lbs of pulled chicken, that's my contribution to the party.
I'll post more details in another note.

> BTW, anyone who wants to stop by is welcome. We live in northern IL.
> (Mc Henry). Just respond. Time to eat is.......when it's done of
> course!

Just a little far from Solano/Napa area, but I'd love to have a taste
of
your menu if I was closer.

A great 4th to all my American friends -
Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 23:46:51 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
> wrote:

>In ,
>VegA > typed:
>> Just me, wife, and youngest son.
>>
>> Menu:
>>
>> Pulled pork cooked with mesquite and Jack Daniel's oak
>> Hot Italian sausage tossed in olive oil and smoked
>> Home made cole slaw
>> Sweet corn roasted in the smoker
>> Grilled potato wedges with olive oil, garlic, onion, black pepper, and
>> rosemary
>> Kieser buns and French bread
>> Beer and Coke for drinks
>> Spaghetti ice cream for desert
>>
>> What is everyone else fixin?
>>
>> BTW, anyone who wants to stop by is welcome. We live in northern IL.
>> (Mc Henry). Just respond. Time to eat is.......when it's done of
>> course!
>>

>I'm doing three racks of St. Louies. One with an asian rub and asian bbq
>sauce I worked up, one with my standard pork rub modified with some
>additional gran garlic, gran onion, kosher salt, and black pepper, to be
>sauced with a combination of my sauce mixed with Arthur Bryant's, and one
>with a new savory rub I've worked up, to be served with my standard sauce
>and a mustard based sauce I have worked up on the side.
>
>Sides will be french fries fresh from the deep fryer, coleslaw, maybe some
>deep fried mushrooms or onion rings or whatever other veggies come to hand,
>in a beer/tempura batter.
>
>Dessert will be sopaipillas and perhaps some key lime pie, or maybe
>raspberry or cherry empanadas. It depends. ;-)
>
>There will be beer. Black and Tans are on my mind.
>
>MartyB in KC

One word:

YUM!!!!!

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 3, 8:13*pm, VegA > wrote:
> What is everyone else fixin?

It's gonna be a traditional Texas 4th here. Lots of family and
friends over for a day of food, fun and laughs.

Gonna have:
Brisket
BBQ chicken
Hot Dogs & burgers for the kids
Sausages
Brown Beans
Cajun Coleslaw
Tater Salad
Dishes of sliced tomatoes, green onions, pickles, olives and other
stuff like that
A bunch more stuff that I'm too lazy to type
And for dessert - fresh peach cobbler cooked in dutch ovens out in the
fire pit.

Y'all enjoy your 4th. Happy Birthday, America.

-frohe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe > wrote:
> VegA > wrote: What is everyone else fixin?
>
> It's gonna be a traditional Texas 4th here. Lots of family and
> friends over for a day of food, fun and laughs.
>
> Gonna have:
> Brisket
> BBQ chicken
> Hot Dogs & burgers for the kids
> Sausages
> Brown Beans
> Cajun Coleslaw
> Tater Salad
> Dishes of sliced tomatoes, green onions, pickles, olives and other
> stuff like that
> A bunch more stuff that I'm too lazy to type
> And for dessert - fresh peach cobbler cooked in dutch ovens out in the
> fire pit.
>
> Y'all enjoy your 4th. Happy Birthday, America.

That sounds great, Frohe. I just printed out the Declaration of
Independence for my grandkids. Happy Birthday, America, indeed!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
jj jj is offline

I'll be trying Turkey wings - saw em at the store on sale.

Also chicken, beef ribs, and some salmon
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 18:18:55 GMT,
(jj) wrote:

>I'll be trying Turkey wings - saw em at the store on sale.
>
>Also chicken, beef ribs, and some salmon

Denny and I are doing ribeye, corn, salad, and Breyers Rocky Road ice
cream--and a little beer, of course!

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"VegA" > wrote in message
> Spaghetti ice cream for desert
>
> What is everyone else fixin?

Wow, we're heading out at the end of the month to the son's place
and we have grandkids there. I was starting to think about
something cool that Grandpa could take his girls and then you
mentioned the Spaghetti ice cream. I'd never heard of it, so I
did a Google search and TWO of them are now on order. Very good-
and thanks for this indirect help to a continual problem of what
to take the kids.

--
Nonny

.. . . on a darned diet
and ready to chew off
my own elbows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"VegA" > wrote in message

> Smoked pork tenderloin, yummy! I grill it as I do like it a bit
> rare
> and it is a very lean cut so there is not allot of fat to keep
> it
> moist.

While its not for everyone, when I do a tenderloin on rotisserie,
using the back burner of the grill, I also light off an indirect
burner early on in the cooking process. Where I live, the
standard foundation plantings are Rosemary, since it's a good
desert plant and has a great smell. I will cut a couple sprigs
and place them on the flame tamer of the hot burner, letting them
smoke and turn to char. The slight Rosemary flavor is great on a
tenderloin.

OTOH, I've also split the tenderloin, added peaches, brown sugar
and a very small piece of Rosemary, then trussed it and cooked it
on the rotisserie.

My favorite way to eat tenderloin is the Midwestern approach. Cut
it into 4 oz pieces, flatten them with the bottom of a skillet to
about 10", egg wash, flour seasoned with Good Seasons Italian dry
mix and fried in a skillet, using the grill for the heat source.
They also vacuum freeze well and the reheats are probably as good,
if not better, than the fresh ones.

--
Nonny

.. . . on a darned diet
and ready to chew off
my own elbows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

We're heading to a party, but taking a couple things: A chicken
liver cheese ball* and my own baked beans with country ham and
black strap etc. The host is a better cook than I am, so I'm
shying away from the real food. <Grin>
--
Nonny

*recipe on request

.. . . on a darned diet
and ready to chew off
my own elbows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 4, 8:40*am, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
september.invalid> wrote:

> Napa, eh? Will there be wine? A good sturdy cab or zin always goes well with
> barbecue IMO.

There was wine, though I didn't bring any myself. My first choices
for wine
with BBQ tends to be Zinfandel, Syrah, good Sangiovese or Barbera,
though
Pinot Noir can really work well.

> Pulled chicken sounds good. When cooking a whole chicken for pulling, at
> what temp? Cooked and chilled of course, reheat before or after pulling? And
> since it's to be reheated, what internal temp did you cook to?

Cooked it to 170-172F internal, let it rest, pulled it, splashed with
some
NC sauce and spritzed with rub. Kept in an aluminum pan, tightly
covered
in foil, reheated in the oven gently at 250F.

> I'm only asking because of the dryness factor. I would guess you can avoid
> that entirely by not cooking it quite to final temp, and reheating in a foil
> wrap. Or not?

Dryness really wasn't a problem.

Happy 4th!
Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 14:10:41 -0700, "Nonny" > wrote:

>"VegA" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Spaghetti ice cream for desert
>>
>> What is everyone else fixin?
>>

>Wow, we're heading out at the end of the month to the son's place
>and we have grandkids there. I was starting to think about
>something cool that Grandpa could take his girls and then you
>mentioned the Spaghetti ice cream. I'd never heard of it, so I
>did a Google search and TWO of them are now on order. Very good-
>and thanks for this indirect help to a continual problem of what
>to take the kids.

Sorry. A good quality potato ricer costs less and does the same thing.
Guess I should have explained. I might have been able to save you some
$$$.

--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is
entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 14:17:54 -0700, "Nonny" > wrote:

>"VegA" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Smoked pork tenderloin, yummy! I grill it as I do like it a bit
>> rare
>> and it is a very lean cut so there is not allot of fat to keep
>> it
>> moist.
>>

>While its not for everyone, when I do a tenderloin on rotisserie,
>using the back burner of the grill, I also light off an indirect
>burner early on in the cooking process. Where I live, the
>standard foundation plantings are Rosemary, since it's a good
>desert plant and has a great smell. I will cut a couple sprigs
>and place them on the flame tamer of the hot burner, letting them
>smoke and turn to char. The slight Rosemary flavor is great on a
>tenderloin.
>
>OTOH, I've also split the tenderloin, added peaches, brown sugar
>and a very small piece of Rosemary, then trussed it and cooked it
>on the rotisserie.
>
>My favorite way to eat tenderloin is the Midwestern approach. Cut
>it into 4 oz pieces, flatten them with the bottom of a skillet to
>about 10", egg wash, flour seasoned with Good Seasons Italian dry
>mix and fried in a skillet, using the grill for the heat source.
>They also vacuum freeze well and the reheats are probably as good,
>if not better, than the fresh ones.

Never did it like that. Sounds great!
--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is
entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 19:51:18 -0700 (PDT), Dana K6JQ
> wrote:

>On Jul 4, 8:40*am, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
>september.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Napa, eh? Will there be wine? A good sturdy cab or zin always goes well with
>> barbecue IMO.

>There was wine, though I didn't bring any myself. My first choices
>for wine
>with BBQ tends to be Zinfandel, Syrah, good Sangiovese or Barbera,
>though
>Pinot Noir can really work well.

Am I correct in thinking these are all red wines? I ask because Denny
prefers sweeter, lighter wines to the dryer reds. I'd be grateful for
any suggestions for wine that he might enjoy with barbecue, just in
case. ;-)

>Happy 4th!
>Dana

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 14:17:54 -0700, Nonny wrote:

> "VegA" > wrote in message
>

>> Smoked pork tenderloin, yummy! I grill it as I do like it a bit
>> rare
>> and it is a very lean cut so there is not allot of fat to keep
>> it
>> moist.
>>

> While its not for everyone, when I do a tenderloin on rotisserie,
> using the back burner of the grill, I also light off an indirect
> burner early on in the cooking process.

Meethinks too many people confuse Pork Tenderloin and Pork Loin.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 4, 7:59*pm, Desideria > wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 19:51:18 -0700 (PDT), Dana K6JQ
>
> > wrote:
> >On Jul 4, 8:40*am, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
> >september.invalid> wrote:

> >> Napa, eh? Will there be wine? A good sturdy cab or zin always goes well with
> >> barbecue IMO.

> >There was wine, though I didn't bring any myself. *My first choices
> >for wine with BBQ tends to be Zinfandel, Syrah, good Sangiovese or Barbera,
> >though Pinot Noir can really work well.

> Am I correct in thinking these are all red wines? I ask because Denny
> prefers sweeter, lighter wines to the dryer reds. I'd be grateful for
> any suggestions for wine that he might enjoy with barbecue, just in
> case. ;-)

Hands down, a good dry Rose is amazingly flexible. Sadly, there
aren't
a lot of widely-available dry Roses, and White Zinfandel is a sad
shadow of their greatness.

Some good ones you can find at Bevmo (not sure if there's one local
to you):

Big House Pink
Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare
Heitz Cellars Grignolino Rose

.... or you can try some of the White Zins, not all of them are
so sweet. But the point is, a well-made dry Rose is so fruit-forward
you're sure it has sugar, but it's so clean and crisp that it doesn't
coat your mouth in an funky aftertaste.

But - a White Zin might be just what Denny likes. They're not
very expensive, either, try a few.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:10:16 -0700 (PDT), Dana K6JQ
> wrote:

>On Jul 4, 7:59*pm, Desideria > wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 19:51:18 -0700 (PDT), Dana K6JQ
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >There was wine, though I didn't bring any myself. *My first choices
>> >for wine with BBQ tends to be Zinfandel, Syrah, good Sangiovese or Barbera,
>> >though Pinot Noir can really work well.

>> Am I correct in thinking these are all red wines? I ask because Denny
>> prefers sweeter, lighter wines to the dryer reds. I'd be grateful for
>> any suggestions for wine that he might enjoy with barbecue, just in
>> case. ;-)

>Hands down, a good dry Rose is amazingly flexible. Sadly, there
>aren't
>a lot of widely-available dry Roses, and White Zinfandel is a sad
>shadow of their greatness.
>
>Some good ones you can find at Bevmo (not sure if there's one local
>to you):
>
>Big House Pink
>Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare
>Heitz Cellars Grignolino Rose
>
>... or you can try some of the White Zins, not all of them are
>so sweet. But the point is, a well-made dry Rose is so fruit-forward
>you're sure it has sugar, but it's so clean and crisp that it doesn't
>coat your mouth in an funky aftertaste.
>
>But - a White Zin might be just what Denny likes. They're not
>very expensive, either, try a few.
>
>Dana

Nope, never heard of Bevmo. And Denny prefers sweeter wine to dryer
wine, so I hafta find the white Zins (though I would prefer a change
sometimes!).

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Jul-2009, Desideria > wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:10:16 -0700 (PDT), Dana K6JQ
> > wrote:
>
> >On Jul 4, 7:59*pm, Desideria > wrote:
> >> On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 19:51:18 -0700 (PDT), Dana K6JQ

> >> Am I correct in thinking these are all red wines? I ask because Denny
> >> prefers sweeter, lighter wines to the dryer reds. I'd be grateful for
> >> any suggestions for wine that he might enjoy with barbecue, just in
> >> case. ;-)

> >Hands down, a good dry Rose is amazingly flexible. Sadly, there
> >aren't
> >a lot of widely-available dry Roses, and White Zinfandel is a sad
> >shadow of their greatness.
> >
> >Some good ones you can find at Bevmo (not sure if there's one local
> >to you):
> >
> >Big House Pink
> >Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare
> >Heitz Cellars Grignolino Rose
> >
> >... or you can try some of the White Zins, not all of them are
> >so sweet. But the point is, a well-made dry Rose is so fruit-forward
> >you're sure it has sugar, but it's so clean and crisp that it doesn't
> >coat your mouth in an funky aftertaste.
> >
> >But - a White Zin might be just what Denny likes. They're not
> >very expensive, either, try a few.
> >
> >Dana

> Nope, never heard of Bevmo. And Denny prefers sweeter wine to dryer
> wine, so I hafta find the white Zins (though I would prefer a change
> sometimes!).
>

> Desideria

Assuming Denny likes a white Zin, you might like to try a Liebfraumilch
and or a Blue Nun. I like those and also I like some cheap table wines
particularly Paisano and the Carlo Rossi Burgandy. Truth be known
I'm a Peter Lore of wine. "They're all good".

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 05:34:56 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 5-Jul-2009, Desideria > wrote:
>

>Assuming Denny likes a white Zin, you might like to try a Liebfraumilch
>and or a Blue Nun. I like those and also I like some cheap table wines
>particularly Paisano and the Carlo Rossi Burgandy. Truth be known
>I'm a Peter Lore of wine. "They're all good".

I've been looking all over for a Liebfraumilch or Blue Nun, but they
don't seem to be available in this area (Seattle/Everett vicinity).

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 19:42:40 -0700, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 05:34:56 GMT, "Brick" >
>wrote:
>

>>On 5-Jul-2009, Desideria > wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:10:16 -0700 (PDT), Dana K6JQ

>>> Nope, never heard of Bevmo. And Denny prefers sweeter wine to dryer
>>> wine, so I hafta find the white Zins (though I would prefer a change
>>> sometimes!).
>>>

>>Assuming Denny likes a white Zin, you might like to try a Liebfraumilch
>>and or a Blue Nun. I like those and also I like some cheap table wines
>>particularly Paisano and the Carlo Rossi Burgandy. Truth be known
>>I'm a Peter Lore of wine. "They're all good".

>I like Rose; haven't had any in years. I like the Riesling much
>better than I do White Zin. Liebraumilch and Blue Nun--yeah, those
>are good. There are some lighter-tasting reds, too, I think.
>Burgundy of course is way full-bodied for me (though if one is making
>Sangria...). IIRC, some Syrah is ok. Heck, I've had Chianti I liked.
>
>As of right now--leaving bubblies out of the discussion--Riesling's my
>favorite, but it's been so long since I've had any Rose (or Crackling
>Rose), I can't say about it now.

You like Gewurztraminer too, dear.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 6, 7:17*pm, Desideria > wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 05:34:56 GMT, "Brick" >
> wrote:
>

> >On *5-Jul-2009, Desideria > wrote:

> >Assuming Denny likes a white Zin, you might like to try a Liebfraumilch
> >and or a Blue Nun. I like those and also I like some cheap table wines
> >particularly Paisano and the Carlo Rossi Burgandy. Truth be known
> >I'm a Peter Lore of wine. "They're all good".

> I've been looking all over for a Liebfraumilch or Blue Nun, but they
> don't seem to be available in this area (Seattle/Everett vicinity).
>
> Desideria

Just so you'all know, in Germany liebfraumilch means "pregnant woman's
wine". This is from a country not known for strong wine. Germans do
not consider liebfraumilch a wine worthy of any consideration. . It's
not a wine designation in Germany, they do not craft or ferment
liebfraumilch as it's marketed here in the USA.

If you want "LiebfrauMilch" just look for anything very low in
alcohol.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 21:32:24 -0700 (PDT), Duwop >
wrote:

>On Jul 6, 7:17*pm, Desideria > wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 05:34:56 GMT, "Brick" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >On *5-Jul-2009, Desideria > wrote:

>> >Assuming Denny likes a white Zin, you might like to try a Liebfraumilch
>> >and or a Blue Nun. I like those and also I like some cheap table wines
>> >particularly Paisano and the Carlo Rossi Burgandy. Truth be known
>> >I'm a Peter Lore of wine. "They're all good".

>> I've been looking all over for a Liebfraumilch or Blue Nun, but they
>> don't seem to be available in this area (Seattle/Everett vicinity).
>>
>> Desideria

>Just so you'all know, in Germany liebfraumilch means "pregnant woman's
>wine". This is from a country not known for strong wine. Germans do
>not consider liebfraumilch a wine worthy of any consideration. . It's
>not a wine designation in Germany, they do not craft or ferment
>liebfraumilch as it's marketed here in the USA.
>
>If you want "LiebfrauMilch" just look for anything very low in
>alcohol.

Thanks, Duwop. But what I had in mind were some white, sweet wines I'd
seen with "Liebfraumilch" actually on the label. And wouldn't that be
"pregnant woman's milk"? ;-)

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebfraumilch

--
Nonny

.. . . on a darned diet
and ready to chew off
my own elbows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Jul-2009, Duwop > wrote:

> On Jul 6, 7:17*pm, Desideria > wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 05:34:56 GMT, "Brick" >
> > wrote:
> >

> > >On *5-Jul-2009, Desideria > wrote:

> > >Assuming Denny likes a white Zin, you might like to try a
> > >Liebfraumilch
> > >and or a Blue Nun. I like those and also I like some cheap table wines
> > >particularly Paisano and the Carlo Rossi Burgandy. Truth be known
> > >I'm a Peter Lore of wine. "They're all good".

> > I've been looking all over for a Liebfraumilch or Blue Nun, but they
> > don't seem to be available in this area (Seattle/Everett vicinity).
> >
> > Desideria

> Just so you'all know, in Germany liebfraumilch means "pregnant woman's
> wine". This is from a country not known for strong wine. Germans do
> not consider liebfraumilch a wine worthy of any consideration. . It's
> not a wine designation in Germany, they do not craft or ferment
> liebfraumilch as it's marketed here in the USA.
>
> If you want "LiebfrauMilch" just look for anything very low in
> alcohol.

Your comment about Liebfraumilch in Germany confuses me Duwop. My
first exposure to Liebfraumilch was in a Gasthaus in Germany. Likewise
with the Blue Nun. They were both quite popular at the time. I believe
that was in the ealry '70s.

--
Brick said that.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 22:20:17 -0700, "Nonny" > wrote:

>"Desideria" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Thanks, Duwop. But what I had in mind were some white, sweet
>> wines I'd
>> seen with "Liebfraumilch" actually on the label. And wouldn't
>> that be
>> "pregnant woman's milk"? ;-)
>>

>> Desideria

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebfraumilch

Thanks, Nonny!

Unfortunately, I still can't find the stuff up here. :-(

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 17:24:38 -0700, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>>>I like Rose; haven't had any in years. I like the Riesling much
>>>better than I do White Zin. Liebraumilch and Blue Nun--yeah, those
>>>are good. There are some lighter-tasting reds, too, I think.
>>>Burgundy of course is way full-bodied for me (though if one is making
>>>Sangria...). IIRC, some Syrah is ok. Heck, I've had Chianti I liked.
>>>
>>>As of right now--leaving bubblies out of the discussion--Riesling's my
>>>favorite, but it's been so long since I've had any Rose (or Crackling
>>>Rose), I can't say about it now.

>>You like Gewurztraminer too, dear.

>See why I keep her? She remembers things like that.
>(I didn't even remember that I'd HAD any Gewurz.)
>
>But, sweetie--I didn't think my list was exhaustive--and obviously it
>wasn't.

Not exhaustive. More like exhausted, dear. ;-)

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 6, 7:42*pm, Denny Wheeler >
wrote:

> I like Rose; haven't had any in years. *I like the Riesling much
> better than I do White Zin. *Liebraumilch and Blue Nun--yeah, those
> are good. *There are some lighter-tasting reds, too, I think.
> Burgundy of course is way full-bodied for me (though if one is making
> Sangria...). *IIRC, some Syrah is ok. *Heck, I've had Chianti I liked..
>
> As of right now--leaving bubblies out of the discussion--Riesling's my
> favorite, but it's been so long since I've had any Rose (or Crackling
> Rose), I can't say about it now.

I think you like "fruit-forward" more than you like sweet.
Which is why I suggested fruit-forward dry Rose, but anything
fruit-forward and easy on tannins will probably work well.

www.bevmo.com for some decent choices. I'm fortunate I
live in a place where grape wood, great wine and oak barrel
chunks are plentiful.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 9, 6:02*pm, Denny Wheeler >
wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 00:57:35 -0700 (PDT), Dana K6JQ

> >www.bevmo.comfor some decent choices. *I'm fortunate I
> >live in a place where grape wood, great wine and oak barrel
> >chunks are plentiful.

> You live in the Napa Valley?

He's not very far away. A bridge too far.

How's that "Texas Roadhouse" place off 80 Dana? Is it all hat and no
substance? Went to a place like it in Wisconsin that served up pretty
good food. But they seem to take their food pretty serious in
Wisconsin.

Me, I'm north of Eddy, west of Louis and southwest of Dana, and north
of that nice Singapore kid that doesn't post anymore, whathisface.

Am I missing any other SFBA guys?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 9, 6:02*pm, Denny Wheeler >
wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 00:57:35 -0700 (PDT), Dana K6JQ
>

> > wrote:
> >On Jul 6, 7:42*pm, Denny Wheeler >
> >wrote:

> >> I like Rose; haven't had any in years. *I like the Riesling much
> >> better than I do White Zin. *Liebraumilch and Blue Nun--yeah, those
> >> are good. *There are some lighter-tasting reds, too, I think.
> >> Burgundy of course is way full-bodied for me (though if one is making
> >> Sangria...). *IIRC, some Syrah is ok. *Heck, I've had Chianti I liked.

> >> As of right now--leaving bubblies out of the discussion--Riesling's my
> >> favorite, but it's been so long since I've had any Rose (or Crackling
> >> Rose), I can't say about it now.

> >I think you like "fruit-forward" more than you like sweet.
> >Which is why I suggested fruit-forward dry Rose, but anything
> >fruit-forward and easy on tannins will probably work well.

> >www.bevmo.comfor some decent choices. *I'm fortunate I
> >live in a place where grape wood, great wine and oak barrel
> >chunks are plentiful.

> You live in the Napa Valley?

Just over the hill from Napa Valley proper, but I bicycle into
Napa County several times a week, and we have a bit of wine-growing
done just north of me.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 10, 10:00*am, Duwop > wrote:
> On Jul 9, 6:02*pm, Denny Wheeler >
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 00:57:35 -0700 (PDT), Dana K6JQ
> > >www.bevmo.comforsome decent choices. *I'm fortunate I
> > >live in a place where grape wood, great wine and oak barrel
> > >chunks are plentiful.

> > You live in the Napa Valley?

> He's not very far away. A bridge too far.

Before the Napa AVA was established, fruit grown locally
was crushed as Napa fruit. Amusingly, fruit from Wooden
Valley inside Napa County is still crushed as Napa fruit,
even though it's really just northern Suisun Valley.

> How's that "Texas Roadhouse" place off 80 Dana? Is it all hat and no
> substance? Went to a place like it in Wisconsin that served up pretty
> good food. But they seem to take their food pretty serious in
> Wisconsin.

I have yet to go there, but I suppose I need to. I actually have
CBJ school in downtown Fairfield tomorrow.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wish i had read this before the fourth, were in crown point IN and could
have swung by for a snack, Lee
"VegA" > wrote in message
> Just me, wife, and youngest son.
>
> Menu:
>
> Pulled pork cooked with mesquite and Jack Daniel's oak
> Hot Italian sausage tossed in olive oil and smoked
> Home made cole slaw
> Sweet corn roasted in the smoker
> Grilled potato wedges with olive oil, garlic, onion, black pepper, and
> rosemary
> Kieser buns and French bread
> Beer and Coke for drinks
> Spaghetti ice cream for desert
>
> What is everyone else fixin?
>
> BTW, anyone who wants to stop by is welcome. We live in northern IL.
> (Mc Henry). Just respond. Time to eat is.......when it's done of
> course!
>

> --
>
> " Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
> illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
> mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is
> entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

btw what is that ice cream you are having? Lee
"VegA" > wrote in message
> Just me, wife, and youngest son.
>
> Menu:
>
> Pulled pork cooked with mesquite and Jack Daniel's oak
> Hot Italian sausage tossed in olive oil and smoked
> Home made cole slaw
> Sweet corn roasted in the smoker
> Grilled potato wedges with olive oil, garlic, onion, black pepper, and
> rosemary
> Kieser buns and French bread
> Beer and Coke for drinks
> Spaghetti ice cream for desert
>
> What is everyone else fixin?
>
> BTW, anyone who wants to stop by is welcome. We live in northern IL.
> (Mc Henry). Just respond. Time to eat is.......when it's done of
> course!
>

> --
>
> " Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
> illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
> mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is
> entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

any recipes you care to share would be gratefully recieved, Lee drooling at
this menu
"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> In ,
> VegA > typed:
>> Just me, wife, and youngest son.
>>
>> Menu:
>>
>> Pulled pork cooked with mesquite and Jack Daniel's oak
>> Hot Italian sausage tossed in olive oil and smoked
>> Home made cole slaw
>> Sweet corn roasted in the smoker
>> Grilled potato wedges with olive oil, garlic, onion, black pepper, and
>> rosemary
>> Kieser buns and French bread
>> Beer and Coke for drinks
>> Spaghetti ice cream for desert
>>
>> What is everyone else fixin?
>>
>> BTW, anyone who wants to stop by is welcome. We live in northern IL.
>> (Mc Henry). Just respond. Time to eat is.......when it's done of
>> course!
>>

> I'm doing three racks of St. Louies. One with an asian rub and asian bbq
> sauce I worked up, one with my standard pork rub modified with some
> additional gran garlic, gran onion, kosher salt, and black pepper, to be
> sauced with a combination of my sauce mixed with Arthur Bryant's, and one
> with a new savory rub I've worked up, to be served with my standard sauce
> and a mustard based sauce I have worked up on the side.
>
> Sides will be french fries fresh from the deep fryer, coleslaw, maybe some
> deep fried mushrooms or onion rings or whatever other veggies come to
> hand,
> in a beer/tempura batter.
>
> Dessert will be sopaipillas and perhaps some key lime pie, or maybe
> raspberry or cherry empanadas. It depends. ;-)
>
> There will be beer. Black and Tans are on my mind.
>
> MartyB in KC

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i drink a honey mead by oliver of bloomington IN that is great with any bird
and most pork, i just got a semi sweet from the same place and it is
fabulous with anything, enough sweet but not sickly so... and i love
anything that says muscotto, SP, Sam'club has one in a blue bottle for about
12 bucks that is great with food or stand alone as a drink or have two and
call it dessert, Lee
"Desideria" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:10:16 -0700 (PDT), Dana K6JQ
> > wrote:
>
>>On Jul 4, 7:59 pm, Desideria > wrote:
>>> On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 19:51:18 -0700 (PDT), Dana K6JQ

>>> Am I correct in thinking these are all red wines? I ask because Denny
>>> prefers sweeter, lighter wines to the dryer reds. I'd be grateful for
>>> any suggestions for wine that he might enjoy with barbecue, just in
>>> case. ;-)

>>Hands down, a good dry Rose is amazingly flexible. Sadly, there
>>aren't
>>a lot of widely-available dry Roses, and White Zinfandel is a sad
>>shadow of their greatness.
>>
>>Some good ones you can find at Bevmo (not sure if there's one local
>>to you):
>>
>>Big House Pink
>>Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare
>>Heitz Cellars Grignolino Rose
>>
>>... or you can try some of the White Zins, not all of them are
>>so sweet. But the point is, a well-made dry Rose is so fruit-forward
>>you're sure it has sugar, but it's so clean and crisp that it doesn't
>>coat your mouth in an funky aftertaste.
>>
>>But - a White Zin might be just what Denny likes. They're not
>>very expensive, either, try a few.
>>
>>Dana

> Nope, never heard of Bevmo. And Denny prefers sweeter wine to dryer
> wine, so I hafta find the white Zins (though I would prefer a change
> sometimes!).
>

> Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

if you enjoy wine go and look at www.bumwines.com you will never look at
wine the same,

WARNING!!! keep a clean up towel handy if you are drinking anything while
you read.

Lee
"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 5-Jul-2009, Desideria > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:10:16 -0700 (PDT), Dana K6JQ
>> > wrote:

>> >Hands down, a good dry Rose is amazingly flexible. Sadly, there
>> >aren't
>> >a lot of widely-available dry Roses, and White Zinfandel is a sad
>> >shadow of their greatness.
>> >
>> >Some good ones you can find at Bevmo (not sure if there's one local
>> >to you):
>> >
>> >Big House Pink
>> >Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare
>> >Heitz Cellars Grignolino Rose
>> >
>> >... or you can try some of the White Zins, not all of them are
>> >so sweet. But the point is, a well-made dry Rose is so fruit-forward
>> >you're sure it has sugar, but it's so clean and crisp that it doesn't
>> >coat your mouth in an funky aftertaste.
>> >
>> >But - a White Zin might be just what Denny likes. They're not
>> >very expensive, either, try a few.
>> >
>> >Dana

>> Nope, never heard of Bevmo. And Denny prefers sweeter wine to dryer
>> wine, so I hafta find the white Zins (though I would prefer a change
>> sometimes!).
>>

>> Desideria

> Assuming Denny likes a white Zin, you might like to try a Liebfraumilch
> and or a Blue Nun. I like those and also I like some cheap table wines
> particularly Paisano and the Carlo Rossi Burgandy. Truth be known
> I'm a Peter Lore of wine. "They're all good".
>
> --
> Brick said that

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

kroger? fryer tuck? Lee
"Desideria" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 05:34:56 GMT, "Brick" >
> wrote:
>

>>On 5-Jul-2009, Desideria > wrote:
>>

>>Assuming Denny likes a white Zin, you might like to try a Liebfraumilch
>>and or a Blue Nun. I like those and also I like some cheap table wines
>>particularly Paisano and the Carlo Rossi Burgandy. Truth be known
>>I'm a Peter Lore of wine. "They're all good".

> I've been looking all over for a Liebfraumilch or Blue Nun, but they
> don't seem to be available in this area (Seattle/Everett vicinity).
>

> Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i think depending on your state you should be able to get it site to store
from walmart as ours carry it here so i think if your state allows it you
can order site to store, Lee
"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Desideria > typed:

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebfraumilch

>> Thanks, Nonny!
>>
>> Unfortunately, I still can't find the stuff up here. :-(
>>

>> Desideria

> See my post on 7/6 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_wine

Why Taco Bell is turning its health menu into a muscle menu Travis McGee General Cooking 2 12-07-2014 02:48 PM
D-Day Menu Mack A. Damia General Cooking 4 07-06-2009 07:15 PM
Help with Menu Gigi General Cooking 16 05-03-2004 07:01 PM
V-day menu: What do you think? Erica General Cooking 29 13-02-2004 02:51 AM