Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Unknown Meat (to me) questions

When I was in HEB last week they had something called pork briskets.
It's flat meat and it's cheap, but I have no idea what to do with it.
I'm thinking it should make decent Q, but I don't know if there are
bones in it or what.

The other meat is "finger ribs" they are beef ribs with more fat than
meat. They look like good candidates for the smoker, too, but not much
meat means that they might easily overcook. I would need instructions.

If all y'all aren't too busy with your own holiday Q, I'd appreciate a
short course.

TIA,
Janet, wishing it would rain.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 3, 1:57*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> When I was in HEB last week they had something called pork briskets.
> It's flat meat and it's cheap, but I have no idea what to do with it.
> I'm thinking it should make decent Q, but I don't know if there are
> bones in it or what.

Pork brisket, really! I'm guessing that's breast meat that they
didn't grind into sausage.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> Dana K6JQ > typed:
>> On Jul 3, 1:57 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>> When I was in HEB last week they had something called pork briskets.
>>> It's flat meat and it's cheap, but I have no idea what to do with it.
>>> I'm thinking it should make decent Q, but I don't know if there are
>>> bones in it or what.

>> Pork brisket, really! I'm guessing that's breast meat that they
>> didn't grind into sausage.
>>
>> Dana

> That's probably a pretty good guess.
>
> As far as the "finger ribs" could they be short ribs?

Definitely NOT short ribs. These are big bones with a little meat and
lots of fat. I can identify short ribs.

> I get really tired of creative renaming in the meat department. You should
> ask one of the meatcutters what it was before they decided to call it
> something else.

Sigh, me, too.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 15:57:38 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> When I was in HEB last week they had something called pork briskets.

You mean the "pork brisket strips?" These are strips of meat taken
off of whole bone-in pork loins.

Look at this photo:
<http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_images_n300/0013-0505-1211-4723_raw_pork_chop.jpg>

See that fatty piece on the top right next tot he end of the bone?
Taht's what this is. They sell those strips 3 or 4 to a bag.
They're great for making carnitas. Just slice and deep fry. The
fat gets nice and crispy and the pork nice and chewy.

OTOH, Costco is selling something called "pork briskets" which are
really just whole pork sirloins. They look like large breast
implants. You'll know ;em when you see em. I have never seen whole
pork sirloins at HEB.

Here's some pictures of some smoked "pork brisket strips" from HEB.
This was my take on tasso.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2n0t10w.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2vv9ge0.jpg

> The other meat is "finger ribs" they are beef ribs with more fat than
> meat. They look like good candidates for the smoker, too, but not much
> meat means that they might easily overcook. I would need instructions.

They're just beef back ribs cut in half. I call them soup bones.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> When I was in HEB last week they had something called pork briskets.
> It's flat meat and it's cheap, but I have no idea what to do with it.
> I'm thinking it should make decent Q, but I don't know if there are
> bones in it or what.
>
> The other meat is "finger ribs" they are beef ribs with more fat than
> meat. They look like good candidates for the smoker, too, but not much
> meat means that they might easily overcook. I would need instructions.
>
> If all y'all aren't too busy with your own holiday Q, I'd appreciate a
> short course.
>
> TIA,
> Janet, wishing it would rain.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/me...hotos/pork.pdf

look at the 'middle cut'

The loin cut and the belly cut come from the middle cut.

The belly cut gives us the complete spare ribs cut, which has some ribs
and if you cut along the ends of the ribs your cutting off the 'rib tips'.

Rib tips will have a length of large bone and thin slab of meat with
cartilage interspersed through out the meat. There at the large bone is
the bone we have running down the center of our chest but in a pig, on a
cow that is the general area of the brisket, although a cow has much
more muscle there.

piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 22:03:43 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Here's some pictures of some smoked "pork brisket strips" from HEB.
> This was my take on tasso.
>
> http://i39.tinypic.com/2n0t10w.jpg
> http://i41.tinypic.com/2vv9ge0.jpg

I was at HEB last night and saw both of these and need to make a
correction. The things labeled "Pork Brisket Strips are the
trimmings from whole slabs of spare ribs that have been turned into
St Louis Style Ribs. These are the chine bone and the flat meaty
part that is only partially bone/cartilage.

The things pictures above are of "Pork Loin Grilling Strips".
Different cut than what you saw.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 22:03:43 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Here's some pictures of some smoked "pork brisket strips" from HEB.
>> This was my take on tasso.
>>
>> http://i39.tinypic.com/2n0t10w.jpg
>> http://i41.tinypic.com/2vv9ge0.jpg

> I was at HEB last night and saw both of these and need to make a
> correction. The things labeled "Pork Brisket Strips are the
> trimmings from whole slabs of spare ribs that have been turned into
> St Louis Style Ribs. These are the chine bone and the flat meaty
> part that is only partially bone/cartilage.
>
> The things pictures above are of "Pork Loin Grilling Strips".
> Different cut than what you saw.
>
> -sw

Thanks, Steve. I'm thinking that those pork brisket strips might work
well for old-fashioned "spare ribs" and sauerkraut, cooked in the slow
cooker or even in the pressure cooker.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 16:53:16 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 22:03:43 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> Here's some pictures of some smoked "pork brisket strips" from HEB.
>>> This was my take on tasso.
>>>
>>> http://i39.tinypic.com/2n0t10w.jpg
>>> http://i41.tinypic.com/2vv9ge0.jpg

>> I was at HEB last night and saw both of these and need to make a
>> correction. The things labeled "Pork Brisket Strips are the
>> trimmings from whole slabs of spare ribs that have been turned into
>> St Louis Style Ribs. These are the chine bone and the flat meaty
>> part that is only partially bone/cartilage.
>>
>> The things pictures above are of "Pork Loin Grilling Strips".
>> Different cut than what you saw.

> Thanks, Steve. I'm thinking that those pork brisket strips might work
> well for old-fashioned "spare ribs" and sauerkraut, cooked in the slow
> cooker or even in the pressure cooker.

They'll work fine for that, and smoking, too. The bottom tips can
dry out quick - I'd use those for sauerkraut, and the chine bones
(what I call the "tops") can be smoked just fine and dandy.

You either get 2 tops and one bottom, or two bottoms and 1 top - so
choose your bag carefully.

You can't beat the price at $1.29/lb.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

just had this discussion with DH the other day, i think he called it right,
price controls of the 70 s plus a wish to squeeze every part f the meat as a
whole sale rather than a grind sale, Lee